Reviews for Ends and New Beginnings
IrishPanther chapter 1 . 8/26/2012
This was a very good one-shot you've written. I've never heard of Forgotten Realms until now, so I'm not sure if all characters are in character or not; nonetheless, after losing a loved one, the way that Drizzt acted is the way that all should act. I love the little bit of hope that you give in the last few sentences, showing that, even with the death, you still still find a bit of hope if you look for it. No spelling or grammar errors as far as I saw, as I enjoyed reading and reviewing this piece of fine work! Splendid job! :)
Runsoirse chapter 1 . 8/25/2012
I'm not sure why you'd apologize for this being angsty. Angst isn't bad, especially not if there is a reason for it, and it seems there is a very valid reason for this to be angsty. Not that I have actually read the book that inspired this, but I think you explained it well enough for an outsider to understand.

I liked the details that you included here like how Drizzt and Catti-brie had been together for more than 40 years and how she had been one of the very first people not scared by the colour of his skin.

I also like how it is hopeful at the end. In fact, you have managed to write something here that combines two of my favourite things: angst and hope. :D

This was very enjoyable.
Relala chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
Je vous en prie.

“He felt every moment pass by keenly as if each elapsing second was a red-hot blade cutting deep and burning scores into his skin, marking him, one by one, with their silent passage. Every moment he cringed and suffered; every moment he spent without her.”

This brings to mind vivid imagery, and I can quite literally feel his pain although I have no true connection to the characters at all. I can imagine the slow seconds dragging on, feel the lingering pain, as if I was in the place of Drizzt. You’ve cemented a connection between the character and myself, and that alone proves that all those negative comments you have on your writing are nothing but foolish.

“A profound and deep despair had settled into his bones over the last couple of months, cold and brittle, and Drizzt felt as if he was reliving the first winter he had spend on the surface; frozen, miserable, and barely surviving.”

This truly feels like a real persons grieving process. Very impressive, Cass! I shiver at the cold touch your writing leaves behind it. Personally, this is my favourite part of the whole story. It’s just so wonderfully described, so perfectly real.

“He smiled wistfully, taking in the view of the Sunbrin sparklingly brilliantly below him, and for the first time in what seemed like a very long time, he felt a sense of hope, a desire to live and breathe. He couldn't help but laugh.”

Like I said, this story feels like a real person going through the process of grieving. You really captured the sense of trying to pull yourself back up out of the dust, and getting on with your life. I know that the character still feels pain, but that he’s ready to move on just a little bit. Truly beautiful.

"To Icewind Dale," he said as he turned to face Jarlaxle. "To the place where everything began."

That last line is epic, and it leaves me wanting more!
strange sally chapter 1 . 2/19/2010
walah what can I say when words have escaped from me repondent to this tale that ve come acros :):): in other wordss loved it :):):):):
Inari Shade chapter 1 . 2/17/2010
You mimicked Salvatore's style very well, I have to say that this was a very written piece of fan fiction.

Now that the stuffy part is over, I have to agree that Drizzt had a lot of angst over her, but beautifully done in cannon.