Reviews for The Courting Dance
SapphireDragon4437 chapter 13 . 5/31
This story, in its entirety, was politics and history. As interesting as I find both things, especially the Narnian and Archenlandian side of it, it wasn't what I was looking for in a story. It was nice to read about Cor and Aravis marrying, but other than that, this story held no interest for me. I skipped ahead to the last chapter, however, and I did like it. I hope you don't take offence - this was just my honest opinion.
Don't bother s name but why finish it here, it is now a cliffhanger and I don't get it at all why we can't have more, please add more to the story because there isn't much more on this subject that I know of in all the specifics of the subject. PLEASE CONTINUE!
LoyalElf chapter 13 . 3/10
The only thing that "didn't work" for me about this story is that it's over! I feel as if it could have lasted as long as a Chronicle book and still have been just as fascinating and wonderful. I loved it! Thank you.
2inchfish chapter 5 . 11/28/2016
I wondered about this. there had to be drama about the wedding and marriage. Humans can a be quite thick and unforgiving.

CS Lewis hinted at the great cost of being a monarch when he blithely mentioned that Peter was off fighting the giants when Susan and Edmund where practicing diplomacy with Calormene. But it takes ff to really understand how stressful their lives could be. Lewis *glosses* over things.

Incredible story
Lord Xantos A. Fowl chapter 13 . 8/30/2016
I'm not fond of the passages including a continued reverence for other gods, as I'm pretty sure Aslan doesn't abide by the worship of other deities, but other than that I enjoyed the story quite a bit.
Lord Xantos A. Fowl chapter 9 . 8/30/2016
Typo
"As Corin recently made clear tome, "
Should be
"As Corin recently made clear to me,"

A tome is a very large book not something to be made clear
Clio1792 chapter 13 . 8/28/2016
Excellent conclusion! And good of Aslan to provide some sound effects for reinforcement.

Aravis, gracious, perfumed, and indomitable, is magisterial here.

A fine story, ending, one might say, on a roaring note.

Clio1792 chapter 12 . 8/28/2016
Ah...the politics of being an unwelcome couple-the difficulty, of course, is that running a country is HARD, but doing so with a smart spouse you love and can talk to makes it easier. Perhaps of all people, Lune, the widower, who must have been devastated when the mother of his sons died, understand that the best-and thus, is prepared to take the lead in reminding the rest of the kingdom how they ought to have behaved.

Best in this chapter is a horse's perspective on human behavior. There's a reason we humans talk about "horse sense," eh?

Clio1792 chapter 11 . 8/25/2016
Who can resist the pillow talk of a power couple? And, personally, I agree that those coffee tariffs need to come down-if for no better reason that negotiating with cranky, set-in-their-ways Archenland nobility is going to require a few all-nighters that tea won't quite sustain.

Great chapter,
Clio1792 chapter 10 . 8/22/2016
Great letters. Best line, "He dug his own den." Nice contrasts, also, between Archenland and Narnia, and effective glimpses of Corin's fists, and Cor and Aravis's romantic diplomacy.

Good chapter,
Clio1792 chapter 9 . 8/22/2016
Excellent chapter. The best, generally, is the intimation of a partnership that is intellectual, and strategic, as well as romantic, between Aravis and Cor, and the discussion they have of it with Peridan.

Also good is Aravis's point that the two criticisms of her suffer from mutual inconsistency. Maybe the real issue Archenland has with Aravis is not just her ties to Calormen, but her general level of intelligence and self-possession (which were, it should be pointed out, an equal problem back home). And therein lies the best evidence that Cor will be a good king: trust a man who isn't afraid to live with (and love) a clever woman.

Good chapter, and good to see this author resume this story,
Belfast Docks chapter 13 . 8/18/2016
I always liked this story so I'm glad to see it complete! I'm not familiar with WIP Big Bang - what is it? I'm thinking maybe I should get involved to finish some of my stories.

I particularly liked how you wove this story together; the history, the complications, and the characters' attempts to resolve these complex issues.
Le Faucon Bleu chapter 13 . 8/17/2016
Brilliant! There is not enough Cor/Aravis fan fiction, and less still that is well written. I loved the moving view points and the deep dive into cultural considerations, and the direct inclusion of the Lion (why is he absent or barely mentioned in so many stories?). I hope you will consider writing more for Aravis and Cor. Thank you.
Ralph Brew chapter 8 . 6/24/2015
Nice work. A pity you stopped there. I like the back story about Archenland being a refuge duri g the long winter. For myself, I have always seen Archenland simply as an extension of Narnia with a small population of talking beasts and magical creatures but still very much present. But because Narnia isn't into being an Empire, then Archenland is autonomous. Like you I see that it acts as a buffer between Narnia and Calormen, but your insights into what that means politically between A and C was a great read, stuff I hadn't thought about.
I like to consider that the long winter set a seal around Narnia's boundaries. A seal which not only prevented humans getting in (thus there being legitimate claimants to the throne denied access), but also prevented Jadis or anyone else getting out - not her intention but a consequence of her spell connected to the deeper magic from before the dawn of time.
Kateri3740 chapter 8 . 12/23/2014