Reviews for Purpose
BlueSea14 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
I was crying during that episode, and this tag almost had me in tears again. It was all very, very excellently done. I enjyoed it (as sadistic as it sounds).

Great job!
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
WONDERFUL story and I LOVE how you have encapsulated Dean with one word, purpose. It is truly everything to him and what keeps him going. It's the epitome of Dean. He keeps going because he is driven with purpose. I love how you hint to his feelings for Jo. It's bittersweet because of the "might have been", but it was also a touch of "never meant to be" as well. LOVED it!

Fave. parts:

Turned out beaming around angel-style wasn’t the best thing for a concussion. Dean felt his stomach lurch up into his mouth and bent over to christen the dirt.

A strong arm immediately hooked around his middle, keeping him from face-planting in what was about to become very messy ground, but also pressing on his gut. That pushed Dean over the edge, and the meager contents of his stomach started spewing, each heave rocketing through his battered head.

-Okay, being the unrepentant DeanGirl that I am, I LOVED the suffering here. It made sense and connected visually to how Dean felt internally.

He was supposed to feel something, he knew. He’d felt shock and disbelief when Dad had been taken out, utter despair when Sam had died. Now, though… Deep, dark pain had settled inside him, but it was blanketed by numbness, and Dean had no intention of poking at it. He needed time to think, to process. To get himself strong for when the grief would really hit.

-A great way to showcase how Dean processes and how much he's had to process in his life and then find a way to keep on going. It's a testament to his sense of purpose and drive.

Dean washed the dirt of another failure and fire off him, hand sometimes pressing hard against the slick tile to keep himself from toppling ove

-Lovely connection to how tied to fire Dean and Sam are.

Getting to his feet was harder with each attempt. After the total helplessness of before, however, having a purpose gave Dean fresh energy. He managed to pull himself up by holding on to the desk, eyes fleetingly falling on the picture Bobby had taken of the six of them the night before. Dean’s face felt like a mask, stiff and stoic, as he peeled away from the desk to hobble into the kitchen.

-Awesome description.

“Good boy,” Dean said quietly, as if Sam were three again and taking his medicine. Dean had always been his mother in lieu of the real thing, but he’d been glad for Sam’s relationship with Ellen. People, even isolated hunters like themselves, still needed human connections, and Sam had lost every woman in his life.

-SO LOVED THIS! You can so easily imagine Dean doing this when Sam was a kid as well as now. Dean is SO nurturing! *sigh!

“What?” Dean asked warily.

“Dad got Bill Harvelle k-killed. Then we c-c-come along an’ wipe out the rest of—”

“Don’t say it,” Dean warned. “Don’t you finish that.”

Sam fell silent.

-*sob! This kind of reminded me of when Sam called their family cursed and for him to say they had destroyed the Harvelle family, it was heartbreaking.

But he realized slowly that he did feel stronger, the building scream starting to fade, the tightness in his chest easing enough that he could breathe. He couldn’t fix himself, couldn’t find a reason to keep fighting or even begin to see hope after the night before. But there was clarity and purpose in taking care of Sam, even comfort. Even when nothing else made sense. Even after everything they’d been through.

-LOVED, LOVED this!

Great story!
sammygirl1963 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
I always wondered what could have happened between the leaving carthage and burbing the picture back at Bobby's...you filled it in for me so well. Dang, it's a good thing Dean went looking for Sammy!
Menthol Pixie chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Loved it! I really liked how you wrote of Dean finding purpose in looking after Sam, even if he couldn't find anything else. Great job, as usual!
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
THIS was amazing!

oohh...beautiful work hun- that episode was so powerful and you did it so much justice xx
SunnyZim chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
This was so sad:-( That episode killed me - I loved Jo and I loved Dean and Jo together - I honestly think they could have had a lasting relationship if she had lived - they suited each other so well. This fic really summed up Dean's despair and sense of hopelessness - really what he lives for is looking after Sam. If he can't do that, he feels helpless.
writergirl94 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
aww i had tears in my eyes towards the end

beautiful job
extremediva19 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Damn that hurt...loved it!
SPNsilver chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Oh this was just so perfect. And so gut wrenching. You captured all the swirling emotions perfectly, and the different ways the boys handle them (or bury them).
irismay42 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Guh. That was just...I want to say heartwrenching but heartshredding would probably be more accurate. I loved how Sam hung on until he knew Dean was okay before he fell apart. And it was only in taking care of Sam that Dean could find a reason to come back to reality.

Superb stuff.
supernaturalbuffy chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
The heartbreaking sadness of this episode just hit me and I think that your story captured the aftermath perfectly. Loved it.
Rachelly chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
This was really beautiful in a sad kind of way. I love the deep raw emotions of the boys. Dean's way of dealing is not to, Sam's way is to destroy himself doing so, and somehow they met in the middle finding comfort in each other.

I love caring Sammy, making sure Bobby and Dean were cared for over himself. Sam is a sweetie that way. And Dean...I loved his panic when he couldn't find Sam. And when he did, he was totally focused on his little brother. Knew Sam was broken and was intent on fixing him. They really have a hopeless situation, but as you said, they have each other and it matters!Dean's declaration that Sam matters was awesome. Sam so needed to hear that Dean believes that!

You did a great job bringing in the heavy emotions amidst the physical pain, while showing Dean's devoted love for Sam. I so miss that from Dean in SN nowadays. And I loved the way you expressed the loss of the girls for each of them. I hadn't really thought of Ellen sort of being like a mother figure for Sam. But it is true. Poor Sammy has lost everyone. I truly don't know how the kid keeps going.

Thanks for sharing! I love the hurt/comfort, Dean still loves and cares about his little brother even though he is broken inside, stories. And yours was a perfect treat!
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
AH That was just... sad.

Good though. always good.. but sad.
Katiki chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
That was such a sad episode, and you perfectly captured the emotion of it here. Very poignant.
shelby02 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
This was really wonderful. Thanks for posting.
57 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »