Reviews for Purpose
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Again, just what the episode needed and, as usual, so in character. Dean spent physically and emotionally but holding down the emotional screaming but when he realises he can't find Sam he reaches into his reserves to find him and finds an energy to take care of him. And Sam, keeping it together to take care of Dean, and Bobby to some extent before taking himself out into the cold when he can't control his grief.

Great writing, you show so well how the boys hold each other up both physically and emotionally even though they have been through so much and their relationship stretch almost beyond endurance at times. There is still that thread that holds them together.
Dragonflysoul chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
This was wonderful. *sniffle* And I'm such a sucker for cold!Sam.
alphabet chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Wow, that was just a kick in the gut. "Desolate" is the only word I can think of. Really captured the tone of the episode there, how tragic and hopeless and pointless it all seemed, but keep going, because it actually does matter.
Kady-SN chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
This was absolutely awesome! I loved it. As always, you have the brother's nailed, and I love your writing.
Hunnique chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
He couldn’t fix himself, couldn’t find a reason to keep fighting or even begin to see hope after the night before. But there was clarity and purpose in taking care of Sam, even comfort.

God! This expresses so perfectly the feelings of anybody (or me) who ever lost a dear one and kept going for the living... then finding strength there... You rock.
Visionairy chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
That was wonderful - just the right mix of caring Dean and Sam. Sad, yet somewhat hopeful. You're always so true to character with them, but I thought the best lines here were, "“I d-didn’t know you felt that way ’bout—”

“Shut up, Sam.”

“Dean…”

“Just…don’t,” he pleaded. He’d talk about whatever Sam needed, but if he let himself crack open, he’d never rein it all back in.

Sam sighed but shut up.

Thanks so much for posting!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Aww. You know there had to have been something like this happen. Dean was knocked really hard and so was Sam in a different way. :(

Good to see it played out. I'm going to miss the Harvelles, too.

Can't blame Dean for feeling totally done in, not able to go on...until he couldn't find Sam. Then when he did find him he was such a mess. Big brother instantly on duty.

Some things are worth continuing on for.

Nicely done. :)
sergeantmicky chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Oh my goodness. That was so sad, but I totally loved it. We always have these giant gaps in the episodes where the stuff happens that we really want to see - like Sam helping Dean up, the boys crashing at Bobby's, etc. - and they never show us. You always fill in these gaps so beautifully, enough that sometimes I find myself accepting that they happened in the show, and I associate them as part of the episode from then on. This is one of those cases. Very well done. :)
sidjack chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
The sheer heartbreak of losing Jo and Ellen, the pain and misery for the boys. You managed to wrap those feelings into such incredible reactions of what those events would mean in Sam and Dean's small circle of family. Love Sleeping Bobby, and how Sam is still what brings Dean back from the brink and that Dean is still taking care of Sam/Sammy.

sid
TraSan chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Well done!

Dean, stuffing down the pain rather than the internal screaming he wanted to do. I think that's where Dean is right now - burying not only things like this, but his fear, the helplessness over his and Sam's destiny in spite of his external words, etc. etc. This, to me, is part of what Famine sees later. All the denial, and emotional stuffing, etc. has disconnected Dean from his ability to feel (it's what we saw in Future Dean without the tether to his brother).

And Sam, I really like the way you expressed his relationship with Ellen. I thought he latched onto her as a mother figure way back when and during this particular episode, it is Sam who Ellen calls to, to help her with Jo and Dean she trusts with keeping them safe (strategizing).

But what I especially loved is how Sam stayed strong, and took care of Dean, when Dean was beyond doing it for himself and the moment that changes...when Sam thinks it is okay to finally succumb to grief it is Dean who shakes it off, finding purpose in taking care of Sam. How they are both each other's strength (not just weakness).
Wallflowergirl chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
I really loved this - I liked the way Sam took care of Dean and then Dean returned the favour even when he was still feeling pretty grim. I always enjoy your interpretation of their relationship: incredibly loving without being syrupy and unrealistic.
56 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4