Reviews for Closer than a Brother
Macs chapter 14 . 7/20
Stories like this are why I won't give up reading fanfiction. Every now and then you find an absolute diamond, and this is one such time.

Your pacing is great, your characterisation felt true to the series and your style is a treat. You've a great gift for crafting a moment, like the searching of the desk, BJs first word and your strong ending with Hawkeye's heart.

Seeing as you've not posted on here for sometime, I don't know if you'll get this message, but I can't not send it. This story touched me. Thank you so much for writing it.
foolondahill17 chapter 14 . 12/10/2014
This story was fantastic. You really captured Hawkeye and BJ's special bond, and I positively cheered when you introduced Charles into the mix. The generally mood was well done, comedy mixed with drama just as the show always was - granted, a bit more angst but it was penetrated with levity just when things started to get too heavy.

Your further exploration of BJ's character, from what you revealed about his childhood to his relationship with Peg, was really quite interesting. Your categorization of him as an overachiever - although something I never really notice before - certainly seems right on, as if it was always subtly there in the show and you grabbed onto all those little hints until they collected into a character trait that once seen, cannot be unseen. I find it totally convincing that he might have had a breakdown like the one you outlined for the exact reasons that you brought to light.

Speaking of characterization, your elaboration on Peg was wonderful. You're right, she must have been something extra special. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed Doctor O'Riordan...and BJ's parents - love the bit about his name! And Polly, whom seems like a wonderful match for Hawkeye. It's always difficult to come up with a convincing OC for a relationship with our Captain Pierce, but you did a good job. She wasn't trying too hard, but was perfectly understated so as to not be too blatant or obvious. I was saddened to read they were divorced by the end of the story, but I guess Hawkeye never could be tied down. I'm just happy you made Hawkeye a father. I've always thought he'd have made a charming, and utterly adorable father.

I loved the ending! Sad, though it may be - although "sad" may not be the right word, more like "touching" or "somber", certainly "tear-jerkingly sweet" - it does seem perfectly fitting. Although it might have worked ending with the clinking glasses, this last passage does achieve what you wanted it to: getting the full scope of this friendship when we see it as a full entity.

I'd like to compliment you on your medical and historical knowledge, as well. It's certainly a treat to find a story that is not only well-written, but also well-researched.

I apologize for this long review, but I find it only fair to give you as much feedback as possible after all the time and feeling you obviously put into this lovely and moving piece. Thank you.
Nyna chapter 14 . 8/5/2013
I just reread your story for the umpteenth time (not big on writing reviews because I don't have a profile here), and I just have to let you know how much I appreciated this!
Just like a lot of others have said, I found this story impressively in character. I adore your portrayal of Charles, exactly the right mix of pompous and caring! I liked meeting the Hunnicuts, you painted such a great picture of esp Jay, that it wasn't hard to warm up to them. And just like Hawk, I really liked Patty :)!

Just love the Hawk POV sections, I could hear him, and that's quite rare in fanfiction. A lot of people just seem to use the characters' names and bend them beyond recognition just to fit their - often sappy - stories (sorry, don't mean to sound bitter). I'm so glad you decided to create a story around the characters instead of bending them all out of shape to suit your purpose :).
I found your 'character study' of BJ very believable. I appreciate the way you put in all the ingredients for a fullblown breakdown. I love how you took the time to really give BJ all these 'layers', a deserved tribute to him!

Finally I just wanted to say I loved the deep, intense friendship between our two main men. I do not like the slash stories out there, just because it ignores the fact that people can have a very tight and in this case brotherly bond, without it being anything romantic or sexual.

Long (very long, sorry) story short, thank you so much for writing this incredible story! And please keep writing, you ROCK!

Nyna
lrigD chapter 14 . 1/7/2013
What a beautiful story. You are right; there are not enough stories (in M*A*S*H or otherwise) which portray a strong friendship between men, without there being an element of slash.

This was really good. I am currently re-watching M*A*S*H and I'm already fast-forwarding to the good parts, which are invariably parts in which BJ and Hawkeye play a role in some way.

I did feel like the story was a little over the top sometimes, the bond between BJ and Hawkeye a bit stronger than the series suggests - but then again, I have (thankfully!) never been in a war, so what do I know?
Audra chapter 14 . 11/4/2012
This is absolutely the best MASH fix I've ever read! This is by far the best fanfic(and I read ALOT of fic) I would love another fic! I went to casino last night and walked around with my iPod reading and not gambling! BRAVO!

Audra
Slave2FF chapter 14 . 6/30/2012
Wow! Just...wow. I stumbled across this writing yesterday morning and couldn't stop reading, from the first line to the last. Seconding SupernaturalGeek's review-he/she relayed exactly how I felt after reading your tale-absolutely perfect characterization. It sucked me in so thoroughly-there were several times I laughed out loud, then teared up (which makes the screen really blurry!). Anyone who's read this: make sure you read "Fathers and Daughters" as well, as it's a lovely end-note for this story! Also: last night I was listening to Winger's "Karma" CD on my way home from work, and a song called "Witness" came on that had lyrics that fit this story almost creepily well (from Hawkeye's POV). Check it out:
Witness

There's a shadow in your heart
keeps you in the dark
you're staring out the window all alone
You keep yourself apart
from everything you long for
could you walk away from everything you've known

And don't look back
right or wrong, it's your release so
don't give up
find the love to finally find your way out
of the life that let you
life that let you down

would you dare to open your heart?
would you dare to come out of the dark?
who'll be there to catch your fall?
someone there who's seen it all

You see the sun go down
The emptiness surrounds you
you only know the war inside your head
You barely hear a sound
in all the world around you
you only hear the echo of regret

And don't be afraid
right or wrong, you'll always have your
right to change
find the strength to finally find your
Way out of the loneliness
loneliness inside you

would you dare to open your heart?
would you dare to come out of the dark?
who'll be there to catch your fall?
someone there to see it all
who'll be there to honor your life
if you dare, then I'll be there

Anyway, THANK YOU for this beautiful story, and please-consider writing more M*A*S*H fiction someday! :)
mmwaveprincess chapter 14 . 4/28/2012
Omg I loved this story. I mean the digging into what makes the boys ticks made me think a LOT bout myself. Did a lot of heavy thinking. I can relate to BJ going crazy cuz my big brother has some mental problems and I can relate(thankfully hes never been comatose) sort of. Thank you. I like how u wrote for archive readers like me. I hope you dont mind but God bless you.

California gal,

mmwaveprincess
Arm chapter 14 . 4/7/2012
Just reread your story on a nice relaxing sunday. Still as good now as it was a year ago. your stories remain the only mash fanfics I read.

Thanks
SupernaturalGeek chapter 14 . 9/2/2011
That truly was wonderful.

Your descriptions of how and why BJ came to be in the state he was were technical enough to be accurate yet never confusing, and also managed to feel completely realistic in terms of it happening specifically to BJ.

Your explanation of a hidden lack of self esteem and how that can harm people was particularly enlightening.

What I loved most of course was the long awaited reunion of BJ and Hawkeye. I was thrilled that we not only got to see the immediate aftermath but that we were also allowed to glimpse the follow up and learn how they kept their promise to keep in touch better once everything returned to normal. It was also nicely done that BJ didn't (unrealistically) recover completely and still had to deal with the odd flashback or relapse.

Finally, the epilogue was a bittersweet ending to the epic friendship we all came to know and love. Whilst it was sad to think of Hawkeye's eventual demise it was lovely to know that they remained as close as ever and that BJ was there for his final moments. It was a fitting tribute to the brotherhood they shared for so long.

Strangely enough I stumbled across a podcast yesterday of a Q&A session Alan Alda and Mike Farrell did in 2007 and hearing the affectionate banter between them it was hard at times to remember I was listening to the actors and not the characters. They mentioned they still meet up at least once a year and I loved that they themselves have remained friends even after the show ended, much as we all imagine Hawkeye and BJ would have done.

Thank you for sharing such a brilliantly written story. I really did enjoy every word :)
SupernaturalGeek chapter 11 . 9/2/2011
I have honestly been enjoying this story too much to pause and review at the end of each chapter, for which I offer sincere apologies, but this particular one was so powerful that I just had to stop long enough to say how wondeful it was.

Hawkeye has been completely in character since the very start, as has Charles, and I've thoroughly enjoyed meeting Peg and BJ's parents as well. But what stands out here is how in character BJ himself is in the letter you had Peg show Hawkeye.

I always loved the friendship between these two and it was my main reason for watching the show. Frustratingly I've found hardly any stories that truly capture the brotherly bond they had and I agree 100% with your author's note which pondered why closeness between two heterosexual men these days is automatically seen as 'gay' when it has nothing to do with romance or sex and is simply about true, genuine, platonic affection.

But I digress; what I was really trying to say was what a truly marvelous job you did explaining BJ's reasons for not taking the opportunity to come home early because it meant leaving (a broken) Hawkeye behind. That to me felt completely like something he would have done and I applaud the way you did it too, the scene was emotional but never over the top.

I have really liked how Hawkeye - and even Charles - are so familiar to everyone in BJ's life already because he talks about them so often.

I am now going to carry on with the rest of the story, I look forward greatly to seeing how this ends.

I will return :)
tinkrbell225 chapter 13 . 7/21/2011
i loved this so much thank you for writing it
Bad Octopus chapter 14 . 4/19/2011
Good God. Words cannot sufficiently convey how much I loved this story, but, well... Here goes.

I read it all in one sitting. (It's easy to find the time when you have the flu, but still.) I don't usually do that, but once I started reading, I just couldn't stop. It sucked me in, from the very first sentence. The journal-style narration was pure, unadulterated Hawkeye, and from there it just got better. I know you've probably heard this before, but you write Hawk so well that it's like you were somehow able to get inside his head and write down his thoughts. And you captured the other characters' personalities just as perfectly. I'm particularly envious of the way you write Charles. The thing I love (yes, LOVE) about Charles is that he's totally unfathomable: to all appearances, he's this unbearably arrogant, egocentric ass, but then he can take you completely by surprise by revealing that enormous heart of his. And you showed that better than any other writer on this website. I applaud you for that.

But most of all, I applaud you for doing justice to Hawkeye and B.J.'s friendship. I've always regarded it as one of the greatest fictional friendships of all time, and it's VERY rare to find a story that pays proper homage to it. But you did. Dagnabbit, is there nothing you can't do? ;)

Anyway, I'm rambling. I just had to tell you how delighted and impressed and moved I was by this story. I realize it's been a while since you finished it, but nevertheless... You should still be proud of it. Well done indeed.
Guest chapter 14 . 4/2/2011
If you have ever had the slightest inclination to be a writer, please do the world a favor and go with it! This story was amazing. Don't worry about the ending, it felt right. I hardly ever stick with long fanfictions, usually I lose interest by chapter three. This story had me up till 2 am so I could push through to the end. Although I'll be tired tomorrow, I have to say thanks for the great story!
Cassa-Andra chapter 14 . 2/1/2011
Wow - I found this story very touching. The friendship between Hawkeye and BJ is well captured & I love that Charles cares. I think you have done a great job creating a post war story and an even better job at capturing the true spirit and characters of the MASH world. Thanks.
Elise Foster chapter 14 . 11/15/2010
I do dearly love this story. It's my second time through in fact. Thank you for this. :)