Reviews for Luck
What Did They Expect chapter 1 . 2/15
This was beautiful and I really wanted to find a Russia and Plushenko story. I've just recently started watching figure skating (catching only a brief amount of FS and SP in 2010). Though I'm from America, I was rooting for Russia the entire time. I fell in love with Plushenko and his way of skating and just everything about him. I don't know why but I think it will forever irk me that Plushy didn't win Gold. Thank you for writing this.
nonymous chapter 1 . 2/27/2011
I think that you handled the characters well, actually, with no need to apologize about the writing. You really displayed Ivan's emotions, and the way he shifted from one to the other, smoothly and with believability. I also believe that you managed the real life people well. Not knowing very much about Plushenko's personality, I think that you showed just enough of him to make the scene feel real but not so much as to intrude on a person's personal life.

On the subject of the content, however, I'd just like to say that, speaking as an American, we do value Lysacek's win as more than just an opportunity to gloat. When it comes to a stage as large as the Olympics, nothing's ever "just a game". Those athletes killed themselves to get there, all of them.
Gaaah chapter 1 . 2/28/2010
The judges were retarded (what do you expect - there are still idiots who believe that the Cold War is still on).

I mean, dude, Lysacek wasn't anything special. He was so boring to watch! He was just prancing around, doing simple tricks - no wonder he didn't make any mistakes!

Ah well, eveyone believes Plushenko is the REAL champion - everyone with a brain that is.

Okay, okay, I'm done!

Your fic is really good - the emotion is all there, very realistic, very well written. Keep it up, friend! :)
Ancolie chapter 1 . 2/23/2010
Dude. I so agree with this. Lysacek did great, but he did a routine a junior champion could have done. His wasn't more difficult than Weir's, dang it, and Weir should have been fourth! Takahashi fell, but at least he tried the quad, and he deserved bronze. But ergh. Evgeni should have gotten gold, and if his landing on one of his jumps hadn't been off he would have gotten it. Gah.

Rant over. This was great.
Reye-chan dA chapter 1 . 2/23/2010
Yah, there were a lot of things wrong with the judging. I myself was pretty disappointed in the standings...

Anyway, I loved how you conveyed emotion in this fic! Keep writing, and may our prayers be with Plushenko in Sochi!
KleineVogel chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
Okay before I start in my American cheering. Wonderful story. I think you hit emotions head on. It made me feel for Russia honestly.

Now to American gloating... okay maybe not. But I would like to point out that I'm not a fan of the quad. As a figure skater I place more love towards the footwork. Sure it's not as showy but anyway. Scoring wise Lysacek back ended his program with doing more jumps which take a lot out of you at the end. Which is why they award more points after a certain point. If Plushenko had remembered that and not front loaded his program he would have won. He did not think ahead and just assumed one jump (the quad) would be far greater than anything else. Back to personal belief Plushenko's performance didn't bring to me the same emotion as Lysacek's. And honestly I was only watching hoping to find a male skater I could like again because for so long I've found no one who interests me. And I use to be a huge fan of watching figure skating. As far as Weir goes, yeah I think he should have gotten a few more points but if he honestly did better than the two above him? I don't know. Honestly my favorite skater from it all was Lambiel.

Wow, I'll shut up now. Nice story again, must go look at your other works. (maybe you should do one between Canada and America over this past hockey match though you might not have the same emotions)
Quetzalli chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
I think your portrayal of Russia, his reaction, his thoughts, was spot on. And America, so proud and so unwittingly unbearable, was very true to character. Great job!

P.S.: Yes, I also think that Johnny Weir got an unfair score as well. :I He skated so well! Better than I've ever seen him skate. I think something funny went on there, too, but no one seems to care.
me chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
While I disagree that Plushenko should have won (Lysacek's performance was close to flawless while Plushenko's jumps weren't nearly as clean as usual, but that's my opinion) you did a good job at portraying the emotion and disappointment here. :)
Connecticut chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
I really wanted Plushenko to win to same with my friend we were not the happiest when Evan won. D I really wanted Plushenko to win I thought his was good and i thought the quad would count for something too. good story by the way
karne chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
Man, this fic totally hit the spot in terms of venting my feelings. I know absolutely zilch about figureskating but it doesn't take blind Freddie to work out that a man who can throw and land a quad deserves a better score than a man who just minces around with triples.

and yeah, I agree that Weir was massively underscored, but you're right - that was even more of a political score than Plushenko's.
Commander of Dreams chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
I have to say, I really like how you portrayed the disappointment in Russia and the Russian populace in this story, even if I do disagree and feel that Lysacek deserved his win. For me, watching the two performances, Lysacek's was, overall, cleaner than Plushenko's, and had the same amount of difficulty. (Even if he didn't have a quad, the footwork he had was exemplory, and he didn't falter even a bit in any of his jumps.)

But enough about that, on to writing a review on your story. The emotions were strong in this, and the obvious hurt the Russians felt from losing their gold shone out brilliantly- even someone who felt the judging was fair could see that they were hurt. I like how very tight and neat your descriptions were- they added to the terseness I've been getting from most Plushenko fans I've spoken with. In all, I think the work you've produced expresses exactly what you wanted it to- exceedingly well, which is no easy feat.

Keep up the good work! c:

PS: Yes, Weir was totally underscored. Even if he was sixth in the SP, he should've scored higher. :U