Reviews for Without You
pokingbuddy10 chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
I absolutely love how you had Helga respond to Arnold's confession: "'You ... just like me,' Helga muttered. 'Yeah, whatever. That's fine'" Because I can totally see that happening. Especially because I can see Arnold confessing in that manner too, with just "I like you. A lot." Of course, it's all new too him, so I don't expect him to throw around words like love. I can't really see him coming out and saying that right away. It's just not as likely, doesn't feel as sincere. And Helga ... of course she would keep up the mask. It's a very subtle part of the confession, but I really like it.

And I really feel for Helga, especially at that part where she says he told her he liked her even when he knew he was going to stay with his parents. I'm torn, because on some level, I feel like that's selfish - what is she supposed to get from that when he's just leaving her behind anyway? But then, why would you go another day without telling someone how you feel? It just feels a little like the timing was off, for the whole thing. And that's the source of all the heartbreak.

I also think it's nice that you had everyone try and comfort Helga. They each did it in a manner you'd expect of them, like Rhonda with the gossip-y kind of twist and Gerald with the slight impatience in his tone. It's interesting that she'd open up to Lila at the end. I think even with Arnold out of the picture, Helga would have a slight sore spot for Lila - there's just too much emotions and history behind their relationship, you know? But it makes sense that she'd open up to Lila; it feels like it's both luck by circumstance and because it's in Lila's character - you know, the sweetness, the I care, the I really mean well, part in her.

I think you dissected Helga's response to Arnold's departure so well. Like how he chose someone else; that must kill her, being barely a choice - and you captured that perfectly. Her family; how he says he'll come home, but, really? - You can't help be skeptical, like Helga.

And there's this kind of sweet tone to it in the end. Like how she calls Phoebe up. How sweet is that? And how everyone wants to be there for her - it gives you a good feeling to know that Helga's doesn't have to put up a front anymore, that she's not going to get crap for loving Arnold all along and playing the part of a bully. It feels a little almost too clean - the way everyone accepts it, but you can see how appropriate it is when it's paired with their sympathy for her, losing Arnold. Heartbreak makes it hard to hold anything against her, I guess. But what I mean is, I feel like this gives the reader a great glimpse at how Helga can grow post Arnold and TJM, and maybe really actually become a friend of the gang and not always more well known as this bully-type.

Anyway. Great take on this moment. If it were to happen, I'm sure it would be very close to how you wrote it, if not the same.
Me chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
This is the best I've read of "Hey Arnold". I'm literally crying.
HAFanForever chapter 1 . 5/18/2011
No one could ever take Arnold's absence harder than Helga, though it's definitely true that she wouldn't want the pity from the other kids, even if they all miss him, too. And yeah, I agree she especially wouldn't want to talk to Lila about it, namely because of her sincerity. That and the fact that she had Arnold's affections for a long time really made Helga bitter all the more.

The truth is, I can see Arnold finding his parents in TJM, but the truth is, I don't really think he would stay behind with them in San Lorenzo at the end. There are a lot of reasons as to why I think it wouldn't work, especially when it comes to his relationship with Helga. They can't officially get together if they're living apart from each other, like how they are here. But I still like your story because I wondered what would happen if he was staying behind. It's also nice here with how she converses with Lila, because I thought they could gradually become friends, especially like how Craig Bartlett said for The Patakis.

I also like how you wrote Arnold's confession here and the poem Helga comes up with.

So the story was a little sad, but I like how it turned out. :)
loonytunecrazy chapter 1 . 4/23/2010
very sad and moviing fic poor Helga you captured her perfecetly
Twilight Phantom Dragon chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
This was really sad, but so wonderfully written and poetic. It was beautiful and emotional. You nailed Helga's character perfectly. As much as I loved the beauty of this sad story, I definitely want to read the happier (at least I'm hoping) ending.
BlueSaber chapter 1 . 2/25/2010
Beautifully done. Achingly poetic and so succinct. :) I'm running out of good adjectives to describe your writing on this very sad subject.

Seriously, I thought you did the scene where Arnold finally confesses to Helga very well and I really felt for her-I'm glad too, that her classmates all were sympathetic, even though I personally don't think they'd know everything about what went on between the two.

Looking forward to the resolution in "Letters" which I hope has a happier ending. :)
InspiredInTheDark chapter 1 . 2/24/2010
That made me cry... I pictured this in my head the same way you placed it into words. it was perfect.
Miles Kaufman chapter 1 . 2/23/2010
Really looking forward to the follow-up of this, I like to indulge in the angst genre of Helga/Arnold stories every once in a while and this one really piqued my interest. So whenever chapter 2 is ready, I'm there.
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
Aw, poor Helga. Still, she's right; she loves Arnold so much she can't be selfish and demand him to return.

Keep the good writing.
One Fine Wire chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
AH! Poor Helga! :( This is sad, but so good, too. It opens up the mind as well, concerning what happened in between The Jungle Movie and The Pataki's, since during that time, Arnold and Helga were supposed to have dated, only to break up and remain friends. But it seems like Arnold made the decision to stick around San Lorenzo permanently according to your oneshot. It works though, because the mind can still speculate what happened over the past six years in "Dear Arnold".

Helga is great here. She's in character too! *Applauds* You nailed her. I love the heartbreak and despair she feels about having lost her true love. The poem you used was fantastic and something Helga would write. It's also very Helga to isolate herself from her classmates, who only want to help her out after knowing what's happened. However, the ending shows that she's taking the first little steps to coming out of her shell and being her true self at last. Will we see that happen in "Dear Arnold"?

Wonderful work on this - I very much enjoyed it :)
Reader chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
I liked this new perspective of what would happen after The Jungle Movie - your different mindset of how to approach a "what if" question is very refreshing and I hope you continue writing. Not this vignette in particular, but in general.
Jadeykins chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
Aw I rally liked it. It was sad but sometimes it's good to write sad stories. I really loved this! You did a lobely job on it! :D

Jade