Reviews for The Rose
lyin chapter 6 . 3/31/2010
the sooner the update, the better~ i leave traveling next Tues., so I'll have to wait a few extra days if the next chapter isn't up early *hint hint* ;D

while I really liked the characters on the show, fic-wise, I only ever seem to be reading about Tara & Willow when they're background or ensemble in a fic (and honestly, unless it's really, really good, half the time I may scroll through their parts to get to some more exciting part... ok, usually a part with Spike ;P). So it is a serious mark of the excellence of this fic that I am actually really excited to see what you're going to do with them~ a love triangle where Tara's interested while Willow's still with Oz seems SO natural, a really interesting way the show could potentially have played it out but obviously didn't, and I don't think I've ever seen it done (though again... usually not looking for Willow/Tara fics ;P but at least it strikes me as super-original.) Jesse's lack of interest in Cordelia is really interesting too, seeing as one of the few things we know about him on the show is that he's crazy into her. Xander was genuinely adorable and amusing; Willow's just so *nice* in helping Xander and setting Tara up with Oz as a partner, you're capturing everything lovable about the character; the hint of Warren/Amy made me laugh b/c of the Season 8 comics, plus the ideas of the spellwork you've got going on, like the death spell, were really creative.

nice job writing the fight scene, too, it was just pure fun to read and easy to picture, and Webs' mind games with Buffy both fit what we know of him and raised truly compelling moral issues that were never really explored all the way in the TV series. normally I try to throw in a little constructive criticism in reviews when I can, but seriously, I've got nothing but gushing to say here. i haven't even caught any typos. this is by far my favorite fic to follow at the moment. great work, I'm looking forward to reading more!
megumisakura chapter 6 . 3/29/2010
update soon,please!
Angellia chapter 6 . 3/29/2010
Interesting situation with Willow, Oz and Tara. I always loved Tara's character, but I loved Oz's more, so I hope Willow doesn't cheat on him :S

Very, very interesting fight. It's great how you actually made the vampire's argument seem logical, even though he was only doing it to try and beat her. I wonder if this will play n Buffy's mind. I thought she was going to be fighting Spike in this chapter, but I'm kinda glad she didn't. You're setting the story at a nice pace - I hate it when stories move to fast.

Another brilliant chapter
lyin chapter 5 . 3/26/2010
so glad to read an update! ~ i saw it in my inbox Wed., and so wanted to check it out then, but papers galore kept me much less entertainingly occupied. oh well, at least now it won't seem as long between updates (and wow on both the writing-ahead and weekly-updating, that's tremendously good and how i always *mean* to write fics, but never do);D

after your comment in your reply about Angel not appearing in this fic, I actually laughed out loud when Angelus showed up within the first few hundred words. nice play with the irony there, i totally didn't read between the lines and was pleasantly surprised. plus, with Darla in tow, all the more fun~ for some inexplicable reason, i really like her. she adds a great note of... contempt, or something. ;P also, the thought of Angelus having a thrall? ek. also, fascinating and very original Jenny/Giles/Anya dynamic, with Giles' secret and elicit relationship totally transforming Jenny's flirty pursuit of him ala season 1-2. also, way to get Harmony into the fic (she's way more entertaining as a vamp than as a Cordette, anyhow), and Webs! Eve was a nice addition too- of course we never got to see her except First!Eve, but I really like how you're sticking with canon characters (because god, there's enough of them!) Buffy & Faith's friendship is also really adorable (and Buffy calling her 'the best', although secretly thinking, rightfully, that she's better, was a nice piece of characterization in itself)~ and the Faith-Harmony fight was great fun. it's really awesome to see characters who never got to interact on the show meet up here, convincingly even though it's AU (Darla & Spike, for that matter~ despite the 20 years-ish the 4 of them ran through Europe, in the entire show only the flashbacks from "Darla"/"Fool for Love"- oh, and i guess the Girl in Question- have them interacting, and barely at that. from the opening scene i'm expecting a very entertaining dynamic of mutual dislike.)

anyway, i'm dying to read more of this fic :) thanks for sharing and good luck writing!
megumisakura chapter 5 . 3/23/2010
update soon,please!
Evi chapter 5 . 3/23/2010
MORE MORE MORE HURRY! I'll love you forever...not like that...PLEASE!
Angellia chapter 5 . 3/23/2010
Wow, tense fights. I like how Buffy defeated Harmony. It was very sneaky in a Faith kind of way.

Great chapter, I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for the next chapter :D
LiviaHamlin chapter 4 . 3/22/2010
Awesome. Love it!
Nemainofthewater chapter 4 . 3/19/2010
I really like your story and the way that you weave the characters into it. I hope that you continue to post on Fanfiction!

Nemain
The-Bloodletting-Beauty chapter 4 . 3/17/2010
I enjoy this writing style very much, keep up the great work
Angellia chapter 4 . 3/16/2010
Sweet googly moogly! This story is fantastic! I'm hooked already.

It's interesting to see how Buffy would have turned out had she been trained as a potential from a young age, like Kendra and whoever else, but I'm glad she's not as stuck up as some of the other girls.

This is such a great idea. I really like how you've created a school where slayers and watchers train together, and how even though they've all got a sacred duty etc, they've still got normal high school dynamics.

And I'm glad you've included all our favorite characters, and still kept their personalities - which you've done a really good job of doing - while putting them in totally different roles.

I'm very, very excited to see where you'll go with the story, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when Buffy finally comes face to face with Spike.

I'm very much looking forward to your next update (I'd go on Livejournel but it confuses the hell out of me lol)
6464MiniDiceofRandomness chapter 4 . 3/16/2010
I love how you've fit the characters into a school setting, which I assume is no easy task.
lyin chapter 4 . 3/16/2010
hey, thanks for the shout-out ;D i was so glad to see this chapter~ as early in the day as it actually is, mine's been a big bundle of stress so far, so checking my e-mail in the hopes of something distracting and spotting an update was GREAT ~ thanks for the escape into the world of Slayer-dom! ;P

way to pull off plausible explanations for getting everyone into the Watcher/Slayer Academy, and what an awesome dynamic going on between the two groups (it's almost a baggers/townies vs. cooler dorm kids kinda thing, like in back-of-the-day college movies ala Breaking Away, or geeks v. cheerleaders on a whole new level. love it :)) Cordelia's reason for being there was especially interesting, since it made me wonder how much the public is aware of Slayers in this AU ~ is only an upper echelon of society aware of it, the way only some of the govt. knows about demons etc. in the series, or is it more widely known/rumored?). also, Willow getting Xander and Jesse (oh, and *Jesse* ~ there's a completely underused/forgotten character you've already fleshed out with some characterization, in terms of how well he's doing in school... and Xander struggling here & being part of the package deal w/ Willow makes *so* much sense~ he's got great heart, but Aramaic-translating skills?...not so much, in any incarnation ;P)

love the brief look at Wesley, and i thought the simple line of 'who the older students still called Wes' managed to reveal a LOT about his student-come-teacher self, and it's great to see Gunn, too~ i really, really LOVE how many characters you're making use of and have brought together in one place, surprisingly convincingly, and from all the seasons (Miss Calender, Amy, Kennedy, Rona, etc, and they all *fit*... i suppose the only one who'd be a tough sell to bring into the school is Harmony ;D) although i'm clearly pro-Buffy/Spike (and thanks for the sites by the way! especially since i'm considering *maybe* trying my hand at some Buffy fic if I can finish my other WIPs and have no idea where ppl are posting these days)...I'm definitely curious to see if (okay, seeing how many characters you've gotten in and judging from Prodigal, *when*) Angel will show up... and maybe Doyle too? (hey, he was a teacher originally!... i think a grade school teacher, but eh ;P)

i think my favorite bit was buffy's characterization at the end, torn between wanting to fulfill her potential as a Slayer and not wanting to die, takes her in a nicely different direction, and extremely natural given the new circumstances, of her i-just-want-to-be-normal mantra in the series~ and a Slayer who only lasted 3 days? ep. (thanks for explaining the timeline shift, i think it definitely works~ oh, and a major wow to mapping it out with thoughts of book canon, i had practically forgotten the Slayer before Buffy~ India, right, from the Book of Four? this library one town over used to get ALL the Buffy novels ;D i remember that one as very weird at points, but i loved the whole story w/ her and her Watcher.)

basically, a great overarching chapter ~ it can be really tough to keep bridge-chapters interesting, especially when they're spanning a bunch of years (and much as i loved the Lil'!Scoobies&Slayers-to-be, i'm excited for them to be a bit more grown up... especially with Spike on the horizon ;D... though, also, glad to hear in your review reply he's no Angel ;P~ b/c while it comes off well in the early seasons, in retrospect it way looks like Angel took advantage of Buffy, w/ his only excuse being he was REALLY screwed up & lonely)~ but, anyway, to return to my original point, great job keeping it interesting, well-paced, and clearly setting up a lot of different strands for an impressively epic story.

wow... guess this turned into a ridiculously long review ~ hope you don't mind ;D thanks for the read and i'm looking forward to more!
Evi chapter 3 . 3/15/2010
More Please :)!
Miss-Charisma-cullen chapter 3 . 3/12/2010
I really love this story, please continue! it'd really very good and i can't wait for everything to start up properly between buffy and spike :) i gather buffy is the fire :D
325 | « Prev Page 1 .. 11 18 19 20 21 22 Next »