Reviews for Mess Banter
NotPaulyD chapter 8 . 3/8
Muay Thai?
Renegadethoughts chapter 1 . 1/27/2016
I love this story there was a few minor issues but overall it was great, I'm a little jealous lol
Janizary chapter 47 . 12/8/2015
Conan Churchill Marion and I'm sticking with it. :D Nice to see another good update.
Reklar chapter 47 . 12/3/2015
Nicely done, sir!

Editing aside, you always manage to impress me with your ability to make the most of characterization to move the story forward. Granted, when everyone knows the story it makes it easier to focus on the characters, but you always manage to infuse more life into already rich characters than I would expect; a very enviable skill.

Looking forward to what comes next. :)
gaiawolf chapter 47 . 11/26/2015
Well, nice to see you again, and...yeah. Honestly? I like your idea for the crucible better then the game's version. Granted, I like your version of events better period and I hope that the Geth and EDI will survive.
Reklar chapter 46 . 10/4/2015
Great chapter. Not so sure about the drunken attempt at an orgy with Shepard, but I'll just fess up to never having been drunk or legendary before, and therefore don't have the perspective that he and the ladies seem to have to end up in that situation. That being said, it is amusing. ;)

My favorite part of this chapter is, perhaps predictably, Gardner's moment in the spotlight. Though it's no fault of his own, Shepard is reminded once again just how much of an impact he makes on those around him. It's a sobering thought, knowing so many people count on you to make things right in the world, and the responsibility that goes with it is soul-crushing, which is why people like Gardner are so necessary in a hero's life. Someone to pick up the pieces, remind them why they are important when they are at odds with their role, why it is worth seeing the fight to it's end, and why it's okay to just 'be' once in awhile. In short, Gardner is distilled loyalty and humility from the ordinary man, which is something that most of us can identify with, even if we don't know any heroes quite so magnificent.

Editing to come later via PM, though I don't think much is needed.
Reklar chapter 45 . 10/4/2015
Among all of the chapters so far, I think this one is my favorite, which is a titanic stretch to admit, even to me. Maybe it's the music I'm listening to right now (Leitbur's "The Long A.M."), but there isn't a single scene that I would change.

Orianna's heart-wrenching and honest appraisal of Shepard, and his effect on both Miranda and everyone he's ever met, or even just been a legend to, hits home. There are no words to express how much Shepard needs to hear what she says, and I find myself humbled as much as your Shepard seems to be, even though his decision about Miranda isn't what I expected. Being surprised can be a good thing though.

Hearing Ash's confession to Zaeed, the most unlikely father confessor in pretty much everyone's mind, even mine until I began to get to know him through your characterization, mirrors so many of the thoughts I've had about her since ME3. I know a sizable number of folks hate her guts, but I'm not among them, and I know you aren't either, especially since you've always shown such care in humanizing her, not avoiding her faults, but neither avoiding her strengths. One of the reasons I like her character so much is -because- of her flaws, and you've nicely illustrated why she had a believable chance at reconciliation with Shepard in this scene, even if that wasn't the outcome. For what it's worth, I think Zaeed hit the nail on the head.

Jack. What can I say about Jack other than I admire her tenacity. She has a certain appeal in her hyper-active bluntness, which you seem to channel as effortlessly as you do Zaeed's grizzled wisdom. She is the wounded femme fatale of Mass Effect, just as Viconia was in Baldur's Gate, but unlike Viconia, Jack doesn't suffer from the obvious racial or religious zealotry that sets her so far apart from the hero. Jack, for all of her bluster, badassittude (probably not a word, I admit) and obvious rejection of romantic intimacy (for understandable reasons), is a real person struggling to assert her need for a sense of normalcy in a galaxy gone insane. Of all the love interests, hers is probably the most challenging, but somehow it seems the 'most right' for your Shepard. Maybe it was just your deft handling of her character, but I'd like to think the character stands up to that conclusion even without your hand to guide her. As an afterthought, all I can say is that I completely agree with Shepard's desire for peace and quiet.

I will try to give this chapter an edit via PM in the near future, even if it's not really necessary after so long.
Reklar chapter 44 . 10/4/2015
I love Shepard's palpable discomfort surrounded by Tali's ritual and adoration, especially with the [necessary] interjections by EDI, which just sealed the deal. I have to admit, the whole thing made me feel like I was in his shoes, even though Tali is one of my favorite characters. That being said, I felt just the same during the following scene with Miranda, or at least I did until right when Shepard changed his mind.

Somehow, Abbot, you always manage to maneuver through my mind and pick out the most natural reactions I'm expecting from your Shepard. His cadre is also nearly always on target with what I'm expecting, though you're probably tired of hearing that from me by now.

I'll try to provide some worthwhile editing advice, even if it is long after the fact, in a PM sometime soon.

So glad to see that you're still a constant, Abbot. Time doesn't matter; only the story.
Janizary chapter 46 . 7/27/2015
Wait, is Shepard's first name, by chance, Conan? Heh.

His parties are getting distinctly Conan'ish (it is my word and you'll just have to live with it).
Rorschach's Plot chapter 46 . 7/6/2015
Glad to see you're back at it
1991Kira chapter 46 . 7/5/2015
Excellent chapter. Glad to see you're back :)
Yuriski-1st chapter 41 . 8/5/2014
Wrex taking one for the team?
Yuriski-1st chapter 26 . 8/3/2014
I dub this chapter "Father Zaeed's bible hour"
Janizary chapter 45 . 7/2/2014
No mountains, no dogs. Sorry, Shepard, Casey disintegrated you. Poor schmuck.
Suffering Soldier chapter 45 . 7/1/2014
- When Oriana is talking, you forgot the space between 'life' and 'twice'.

- "Miranda's eyes borderline iridescent." I don't actually have an actual critique, I just want to say it damn fine piece of text.

- At Chora's Den, missed a space between 'and' and 'verse' when Jack points at him.

And that's all I noticed. Nothing pressing, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.

Happy Canada Day too, I suppose. I'm not too late am I? (Glances at watch). I haven't the slightest clue how you celebrate it, but I would assume some drinking is involved, so cheers.