Reviews for Mass Effect: Interregnum
DragonsDeadAndDancing chapter 55 . 11/5
I love this story. Testosterone, blood, witty one-liners, charging krogan, awesome biotics, gore... Mel, jeee-zuz, Mel...
Complex characters, although some seem a bit too badass at times.
Singing elcor. Erash in a Hawaian shirt. Melenis, of course. Sidonis.
And the ending broke my heart of course. I hope you're happy.
In conclusin, I doubt I'll ever read as fine a piece of fanfiction as this. Deserves all the stars I can give and then some.
Rebel Sympathizer chapter 55 . 9/23
I absolutely love your story! Seriously, it’s the best Mass Effect fanfiction I’ve ever read AND one of the best fanfiction stories. I love your style, your characters, your Garrus and the Archangel team. I’m really, really sad that it’s over.

That was, until I found two more stories to read –but nonetheless: I’d be a very happy person if you’ve ever written another Garrus/Archangel story.

What you’ve done with characters we knew of only their names is amazing. I adore the whole team, but I think the most amazing thing you did was creating Melenis, Sensat and your portrait of Sidonis. I never liked Volus or Batarians (especially them!) and I always thought that Sidonis didn’t deserve to live for his betrayal. Instead, they (along with Garrus and Erash) became my favourite characters! You did such a great job!

Also, I admire your story-telling, the action-filled plot and the world you created. Really, a silly dream I have is Bioware making a game out of your story. It’s just .Blowing.

I’d love to read more of your Archangel stories, especially since a scene with Tarak assassination attempt was absent in your story. It could be so epic!

Keep up the good job!

TheVict0rian chapter 1 . 4/12
I must say, sir, that this is easily one of the best Mass Effect stories I have ever read. It would not surprise me were I to learn that it is actually the work of someone from BioWare writing in their spare time.

In particular, I most praise your portrayal of Garrus Vakarian. Usually, when I read a bit of fan fiction, there is almost always a moment where I think to myself, "Now, that's not something that person would say" or "That seems a bit out of character for him." That is not the case with Interregnum.

Well done, I say.
I am a grown man dammit, I do not cry over fictional characters! Oh who am I kidding...
You dear Sir/Madam has written an amazing story. Through the first few chapters I didn't quite feel it but you pulled me in and didn't let go. Everything from characters to the setting seems well thought out and fleshed out. Your understanding of the technical side of the ME 'verse is superb and it makes my heart skip with joy. Your take on ship-to-ship and Zero-G combat was a part where I was literally giddy with joy. Finally someone has taken these difficult parts and done something good out of it.
The only thing that grated me was your lack of imagination with the materials, slapping the term durasteel on everything doesn't quite cut it. Otherwise just awesome. 9/10
Madeline chapter 55 . 3/4
I loved this whole story. When my friend recommended it I was a bit dubious about how long it was, but I'm so glad I read it. The voices are perfect - I could hear Garrus in every line - and the story fits so well into the Mass Effect world while also being totally original. I'm especially impressed that Garrus's crew, who were barely more than names in the games, become fully realized and so compelling that even knowing the ending in advance didn't keep me from getting attached. And I think the fact that I finished the fic almost a year ago and still discuss it with my friends says a lot. Basically, everything about it is awesome and well worth reading, thank you :)
Ps. Sidonis had no choice but to reveal the location, but he was unforgivable for not telling Garrus anything when they were on the balcony. Sniper round incoming...
Good portrayal of him, though.
Congratulations!, an amazing story. It has a vast, well described world, very good characters, and good plots! This is better than 99% of the stories on this site, it should have been a novel.
A minor imbalance: The characters have a detailed introduction, and then they are a bit forgotten, but it is understandable: The volume of the story is already massive as it is. It was sad to see them all die in the end, but we already knew that.
LMSharp chapter 55 . 3/1
I don't feel like there are words. One of the best things about the ME 'verse is it's just so REAL, with its politics and its crime and the day-to-day ugliness and beauty all together. And here, you've captured it. You've drawn out names in a dossier into real and heartbreaking characters with their own stories and motivations.

A side note that I loved Vunas and wished she WAS part of the team, but her name WASN'T on the list. I forgive you that, though, because you brought Mordin in for the Leviathan arc, and I love him.

Then there's Garrus. You somehow managed to strike the balance between legend and man and keep him perfectly in-character with canon, too. It can't have been easy. Bravo. Well done. I love how he didn't set out to command but took it, anyway, and was always a little afraid he'd mess up. I love how he broke even his own rules, and the foreshadowing you set up with Weaver for when I assume Shepard will take HIS choice away from him and keep him from pursuing vengeance, instead of justice. I love how even as he exploited it, he started to recognize that Archangel was not the same thing, was a bigger thing, than Garrus Vakarian.

I expected myself to miss Shepard more in the background, mostly because in my head, the reason Garrus went off the rails enough to take the suicidal ruthless vigilante path, despite its contradiction to the lessons Paragon Shepard taught him, was that he couldn't bear to see everything Shepard had built torn down and had to do something, and that part of him wanted to die. Surprisingly, though, I think the strongest thing about your story is that, for a time, Garrus steps out of Shepard's squad and Shepard's shadow. He conquers and occasionally screws up on his own, and Shepard is in the background, but Shepard is also in the past. I can't help but wonder how you'd interpret their reintroduction. I think you'd carry over a great deal more of Garrus' strength into an interpretation of ME3 than is usual in fanfics. But then, that story hardly needs retelling.

This one did.

Thank you.

Luppo in the North chapter 55 . 1/12
This entire fic has become cannon for me. Anytime someone else tries to talk about Garrus' squad, I think to myself 'well, that's not right'. Each and every squadmate is distinct and had vibrant, and hell, more interesting then most of the ME2 squadmates. The plot is wonderfully thought out, with aspects of it woven through actual tidbits of cannon- how Thralog meets his end? Cannon, and even done in a way that doesn't make Garrus seem like some kind of sociopath.
It has everything- Action, comedy, drama, (b)romance, you name it! It should be required reading it schools. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the gods of Bioware aught to come down and anoint this story as official, let The Naked Pen publish it, and then pay him a hefty commission for doing their job. I've got nothing but praise to offer here.
V-rcingetorix chapter 12 . 9/28/2014
Ha ha ha haaaaa! Cry some more!

Love the Heavy reference. TF2 all the way D
The Silent Orator chapter 55 . 9/17/2014
You magnificent bastard. Having started my own foray into the world of writing fanfiction, it is only now, even after having been such a longtime fan of Interregnum, that the difficulty of writing a story like this truly entails, and I am astounded that even on my sixth or so read-through that your words are able to render me speechless. Truly I have no words, for I am but a mortal walking among the works of a god, and I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to have read your works.
NeonZangetsu chapter 54 . 9/1/2014
Fucking Sidonis! I'm going to play Mass Effect 2 now just so I can watch Garrus drill him in the fucking head! On another note, BEAUTIFUL chapter. It actually made me shed tears and that's no mean feat. T_T
Haebris chapter 2 . 8/14/2014
Very good thus far. Only the odd word seems out of character or a bad fit. Engaging. Hopefully the pace slows down at times to give time for character development and interaction outside of mission scenarios. I like the characters and the personality of Omega, the facts of life and quirks of it; makes it seem much more alive. Reminds me of Skullduggery Pleasant at times.
smashbangfusion chapter 1 . 4/14/2014
So I was just imagining everything that Garrus said or thought in Brandon Keener's voice. I think that says enough how you captured both Garrus' character and my interest and attention. The descriptions are vivid, violent, and exciting. The setting is very much like the shady establishments I'd imagine Omega to have, even if the game gave us a limited area to explore.

I look forward to reading and reviewing the many chapters ahead!
The Anguished One chapter 55 . 2/12/2014
Splendid. You have my gratitude for writing this story.