Reviews for Da Capo
InkHeart17 chapter 4 . 4/22/2010
You are so amazing. It's just a fact. You jump all over the timeline yet it's all so cohesive and easy to follow. I loved every bit of it!
Alverdine chapter 3 . 4/14/2010
What a fragile balance. A crystal vase tipping off an edge, ready to break, and neither their otherworldly reflexes, nor their physical indestructibility can do anything to keep it from shattering. Carlisle’s patience and compassion cannot soothe Edward’s anguish. Esme cannot walk on her toes indefinitely, and Edward, Edward is a derailing freight train with too many emotions on board.

Barre, VT

1927

Edward’s search for humanity is painful to read. I think he is so desperate for it that every human mannerism in Carlisle irks him, for he sees himself lacking. And his guilt of being alive, or rather being beyond it is more than ever manifest in this first portion of your chapter. Esme’s one slip up rubs the triple digits of his in his face and makes him a monster among monsters. Death for Edward is a luxury he cannot afford and for Carlisle a thought he cannot bear.

Ashland, WI

1921

Yes, Edward has an immense power over Carlisle and the manipulation of that power is cringe worthy. Denying his Sire his friend, confidante, brother, and son at the single other most important union in his eternal life (and I truly do believe that Carlisle would put it on par with the day Edward joined his life, even if Edward likes to think otherwise) is digging the dagger deep in Carlisle’s heart. Denying him to see Edward as his son, is twisting it mercilessly. But with his actions he also proves to be his son more than anything else, for his tantrum is childish, his feeling abandoned rationally unfounded, yet very plausible for a child that had his parent’s undivided attention for so very long and suddenly having to share. Especially, since Edward was everything to Carlisle for so long and Esme can give him something Edward will never be able to.

Barre, VT

1927

I have a feeling that this is the Franz Ferdinand of Edward’s rebellious period. So much turmoil under the surface, with McIntyre as the tipping point, the point of no return as I’m sure Edward will see it now. I wonder whether he will feel self-righteous, having discovered this new power of justice, or what he perceives as justice, or will it be utter shame that drives him away? Perhaps a combination of the two. Shame towards Carlisle, but the misguided sense of justice to keep him going at least for a little while.

I am so very taken by your story, that it plays in my head long after I have ceased reading, pulling at me in different directions, and unfortunately I cannot alter my reviews after I have submitted them as new insights tend to come with a bit of a delay. Oh well. Who says my ramblings are not worlds away from what you have ever intended.

Sincerely,

Eva

PS. I wonder which little prelude Edward played as there are several. But for some reason I imagine it to be BWV 9, for it coils like a chilling but mostly melancholy wind in the fall, and like your prose it is so very stunning.
Alverdine chapter 2 . 4/12/2010
Barber’s Adagio For Strings, while the words of Agnus Dei float thick and yet weightless in the air. That’s how I imagine this chapter. Edward’s soul searching or better said soul renouncing and Carlisle’s unrelenting faith in it. And then the golden, fair, good doctor and his dark animalistic side. What Edward fails to see is that all mankind has a vampire lurking inside. Be it a blood sucker or an emotional one. Man is a wolf to man, unless he chooses not to be. And is that not the basis of the Cullens’ existence? Carlisle being the creator of that social human contract in that sense; the guardian, the herder, even if Edward does not accept that guidance willingly, nor his affection. Even if he purges the blood he needs to survive out of his system. Even if he breaks the contract signed with his soul, as he sees it. Or Carlisle’s shoulder…

But, as demonic as he feels, he does look after “his” woman. He tries to grasp to human memories, as if that life had a purity in it his current one does not. Does that not testify belief of sorts? What would be the point otherwise? It saddens me that his struggle with himself will last for many decades to come. For I do not believe his anger is inherently directed at Carlisle or Esme or even at the man lurking outside of Eleanore’s window. Essentially, he is angry with himself, the stalker in himself, the killer in himself, the addict in himself. Carlisle cannot absolve him for his sins nor wash the blood off his hands. He will have to find forgiveness in himself and with it peace. It is he who stands between his own damnation and salvation.

This story so far holds a Hobbes-ian theme laced with the likes of Faustus to me. It is refreshing as it is timeless, and beautiful as it is chilling. Not to mention the spectacular music it prompts me to seek out. You truly make the whole more than the sum of its parts.

My gratitude for sharing.

Eva
Alverdine chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
Finally, *finally*, I'm able to sit down with this story and must firstly apologise for how shamefully overdue my visit is. If your story is a lyrical piece, then my life for the past weeks has been the equivalent of a four year old banging on the keys of a badly untuned piano at 6 in the morning. I figured your story deserves better than my coffee deprived corpse hulking over it under those circumstances. And hence I waited or…lurked in the shadows, would be a better way to put it. *Impatiently*, I may add. Now, from previous experience from your work I had expected something rich, but you seem to surprise me time and again with the quality of your work and frankly I'm running out of adjectives to praise you. So, let's cut to the chase.

Da Capo. It conveys the cyclical pattern of music, of life, of history, and Edward’s return so well, those little words. We run in circles, either running towards something, or running away from something… Running always and we never can catch up with ourselves, whilst never doing anything else *but* at the same time. Utterly frustrating at some times and relieving in others, and as such matching the two coda’s Rachmaninoff wrote for the first movement of his third concerto, a dramatic one and a lighter one.

It was your chapter title in addition to reading the first section of it, that made me put on Rach 3. The main reasons being that it is one of the most difficult pieces ever written and as such in my head matches Edward’s inner struggle. He’s not the velvet melancholy of Clair de Lune, that is but a façade. Beautiful, intricate, and inviting camouflage. On the inside he is the erratic minor keys of Rachmaninoff.

It also, more obviously, matches the tempo you set for this chapter. The quiet, almost looming interaction with the orchestra, and intermittent climaxes, I could hear the turmoil in Edward’s mind and feel the rain “cleansing him top down, as he was getting dirtied bottom up”. The fact that this one little line not only made my heart beat faster but made my mind almost drown in the stream of thoughts that assaulted it, well… you are quite the virtuoso yourself. And it makes me smile now, for I wonder if you realise what an universal assertion that is. Or perhaps it is but my lunatic mind that races into jungles of religion and philosophy and politics when there is just that: Edward running trough a muddy field? I’d like to believe there is more to it, even if all it accounts for is the figments of my imagination in an otherwise lacklustre world.

Esme’s arrival in Carlile’s and Edward’s lives would have made Edward feel like a petulant child that sees himself being replaced. I do not doubt that. It’s very much a human emotion. A little monster lurks in all of us and tantrums are as part of life, as thunderstorms of a hot humid summer. They are electrifying and haphazard and sometimes… life altering. And the consequential burn and shame and ever lingering grudge

I also thoroughly enjoyed (though that is not the right word) the truly chilling recollection of Edward’s victims. The God-complex and the ignominy. The animal versus the cannibal. Nerve-jangling and poetic.

The redhead at the station, who is she? Does it matter? Will she die? Does that matter? He followed and so shall I.
Openhome chapter 4 . 4/4/2010
I'm so sorry it took me so long to review this. This is such a work of art. Simply put, your writing touches not just the mind but all the senses. I could see the storms and the torn bodies, smell the good earth, and hear the cries and laughter of the family. Your characterizations were fluid and of such depth that they came alive on the page. You are one of the best authors I have ever read, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store.
Twiolic chapter 4 . 4/3/2010
Oh wow. That was good. I like stories about that mysterious time in Edwards life. Your story made my heart ache and eventually brought tears to my eyes and then finally a smile. Thanks.
WoodLily chapter 4 . 3/29/2010
This story was beautiful and so moving. You are an artist, Giselle. This gardener thanks you. I have put you on my author alert.

Woodlily
WoodLily chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
Your prose is so beautiful, Giselle. You have captured Edward's pain and guilt about this period of his life so succinctly; I am eager to read more. Well done.
robsjenn chapter 4 . 3/25/2010
really thoughtful story. the lightning imagery was lovely (reminded me of pastiche pen's use of lightning in her "if love could light a candle"). i especially liked how it was esme to break through edward's pain, and i agree with her that carlisle loves edward the most. and very nice depiction of one of esme's known traits - her love of gardening - to explain why she tends to life and to help edward see the truth. thank you for continuing to give us good canon (and i'm intrigued by the canon fodder contest...)!
Scarlett71177 chapter 4 . 3/25/2010
Just gorgeous.

I really love Esme's role in Edward's ability to move on. I'm glad HE chose to unburden himself to her, and that she imparted upon him the lesson of humanity. Lovely job. You've infused her with a wonderful personality.

Reunion scene was just lovely and SO emotional.

Just lovely, dear. Great job.
Scarlett71177 chapter 3 . 3/24/2010
Oh, this poor little family. No 'Creating a Vampire Family 101' existed for them, did it? They're hurting each other intentionally, or otherwise, and their failure to truly address it is just making a bad situation worse.

You've concocted a great plot, and your prose just always leaves me feeling so fulfilled as a reader.

Great job.
Scarlett71177 chapter 2 . 3/24/2010
I love your prose here and your attention to detail and historical accuracy.

You've plucked out so many little details that would be tough to see through someone else's eyes and not react to. Poor Edward. It's no wonder he has 'issues.'

Great job!
Scarlett71177 chapter 1 . 3/24/2010
I'm irked at myself that I didn't have you on author alert. That's fixed now, lol.

Gorgeous piece. I really love the musical references. Since we know vampires are so resistent to change, I do think it would have been tough on Edward to have Carlisle's attention diverted- especially by someone so wonderful.

Great job, as always.
Chloe Fluer chapter 1 . 3/23/2010
This is one of the best stories I've ever read on . I'Ve heard a lot about you adn your style and after the experience of Da Capo I find u to be one of the writers to look up to. Thank you for sharing this story
Grace Device chapter 1 . 3/22/2010
Thank you so much for another amazing story! Ithica is Gorges was the first Twilight fanfic I ever read (so I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you for all the hours I've spent reading fanfic), and I loved your style of writing from the beginning. There aren't too many stories about Edward's rebellious period out there, which is too bad, since it seems like such a pivotal experience. Your characterisations are spot on for everyone, and I would have no problem beleiving that that was the actual backstory. You did an amazing job pulling us into Edward's mind. Thanks again for such a great story!
179 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »