Reviews for Close, But No Cigar
Verge of Chaos chapter 11 . 8/25/2018
If one examines Sam's hosts in the canon, there is usually a reason the particular individual is the best fit for accomplishing what needed to be done.
ex.
- 'Camakazi Kid': The geek brother was the ablest to bring out the fiancee's dangerous potential from a perspective the older sister couldn't ignore.
- 'Raped': The victim herself didn't press charges but needed to face her trauma to recover and remain close with her family.

You've, however, created a unique situation here in which it seemed that the location and date were the catalysts.
There is no logical reason for a random lawyer with no connection to the subject of the leap to host Sam.
Bud would have been ideal but it seemed his presence was needed for the confrontation with Sarah, which Sam apparently had to ensure she went through with, which considering, Bud probably wasn't the right person to talk her out of leaving.
I'm unable to decide whether or not Bud's access pass into Sarah's house and her bank which just heavily suggested that she'd run off was actually needed for Sam to end up in Cottondale.
Al could have still come up with the details on how the truck was found which led Sam to the bus station just the same, couldn't he?
Point being that Sam leaping into someone near the explosion led him to Bud and added the bonus of Sam being there for the survivors.
Brilliant.

This whole piece was fantastic. The authenticity, emotion of the tragedy and characterizations were flawless and the mystery was compelling. Considering the evidence, I was wondering if Sarah might have been an undiscovered co-conspirator of the bomber.
I felt the 'Killin' Time' connection was a bit too random but hell, I liked it.

My one critique was that we don't find out what became of Joe. I'm left curious.
LilyG chapter 11 . 1/20/2014
This is fantastic! They could make this the next Quantum Leap movie. The writing's great, excellent dialogue and regional flavor, great character development and superb twit at the end. I thought for sure Bud and Sarah were going to marry or something.
Great work.

I was in the OR assisting on the day the OKC bombing happened. I'm just about Sarah's age in this story and was pregnant with my last child. We had started the operation when one of the med students came busting through the door crying. I was holding a retractor and was so startled I almost dropped it INTO the patient. We turned on a radio and listened to the coverage while we finished the op. Later, the admins scolded us for diverting our attention during an operation, but I don't think we could have borne to not know what was going on, even for an hour.
TrooperCam chapter 1 . 3/30/2010
I was in Las Vegas the day the Murrah building was bombed. The day McVeigh was executed was the day I was getting ready to ship to basic training. I went to Oklahoma to the site of the bombing in 2002. Your story is very vivid and I can remember what it was like there. I will very much look forward to reading this during shift tonight.
LanaJoy chapter 11 . 3/13/2010
How neat! Bud's ex was Becky! I did not see that coming!

I'm happy for Bud and Sarah. It's great that they can still be in each others lifes.

I loved the whole entire ending - it was full of surprises and feel good moments! I enjoyed it very much!
BlackWindHowls chapter 11 . 3/8/2010
I actually read the first ten chapters yesterday or so before you completed the story. It's always really nice to see new QL stories on here. Keep in mind I read them all in one sitting so it must have kept my attention lol.

Even though I was just nine years old when this happened, I still remember it, especially the part with the picture, baby, and firefighter. Sad day that was.

Anyway, nice story. I liked how you made the guy connected to Sam with being married to someone he once helped.
callih chapter 9 . 3/7/2010
Wow..didn't see that coming. The characters you write are amazing and so real to life.

I swear, I have met that old man and HAD that meat loaf..ha.

and it WAS good, by the way.

are you sure you aren't a script writer for Quantum Leap?
callih chapter 8 . 3/7/2010
told you I had a feeling about those papers. I love mysteries and puzzles. Not good at them, but I love them..ha.

I like that al gives credence to the police knowing their job.

I hope bud isn't a bad guy..it would kill me but, then..it would probably make the story even more intriguing!

Love the way you have Al down. Even his speech patterns! The ogling. HA! There is no one like dean stockwell!
callih chapter 7 . 3/7/2010
excellent banter between sam and al..exactly like sam and al..down to the 'look at the nightie, sam..' HA. Loved it! You have captured those two to perfection!

Originally I had set aside time to read two chapters and review and here I am..on chapter seven and going to the next.

this is exactly like WATCHING the show!
callih chapter 6 . 3/7/2010
it always bothered me when I watched Quantum that Sam would make big mistakes when al came on the scene..trying to carry on two conversations and the like.

He got so much better at it as time wore on, thank goodness. It was just a little irritance of mine. I always thought a brilliant scientist would have done it better somehow.

a lot of humor came out of the flubs though, so..

anyway..a possible lead on Sarah..a neighbor saw her..cool!

I was missing Al.
callih chapter 5 . 3/7/2010
my hair hurts..ha. That's our sam. A lot of background on Sarah and Bud. good to know the players..getting to feel comfortable with them now.

I love a good mystery and I hope Sarah is ok. I was afraid, when Bud mentioned his wife..the nurse. That she might turn out to be the woman who lost her life when the chunk of building fell. And shit..I hope I haven't just given away some important plot twist.

Something about the dad's papers are bugging me, but I don'tknow what yet. Probably just my overactive imagination. Be nice if I could tap into that for my writing..hahahaha. Not gonna happen..
callih chapter 4 . 3/7/2010
this is kinda like watching the show..I wasn't down town that day, we had to stay away, with so many going up the freeways were clogged but and the news reports were confusing and contradictory.

Some people said, stay away from walmart which reminded me when Bud said they would stop there for clothes and a tooth brush. That terrorists were targeting those places too.

I'm always as surprised by what sam sees in the mirror as he is. ha. Nice hot bath and chicken and rice. That probably sounded pretty good along about then.
LanaJoy chapter 9 . 3/5/2010
This just keeps getting more interesting! I can't wait for all the pieces to fall into place!

Don't you just love those old timers! I love hearing them gossip about everybody! (haha)

First you get me hungry for sauage gravy and eggs, now I'm dying for some meatloaf. I swear I could almost smell it! Yummy!
LanaJoy chapter 5 . 3/3/2010
I hope this Bud guy is a good guy! I'm over feeling sorry for him and I'm not sure if Sarah was trying to get away from him or what!

UGH! Church socials! I can smell the casserole now! Why do they always make casseroles!

Hum? The mystery is on. What's going on with Sarah? I hope she's not in some kind of serious trouble!
LanaJoy chapter 4 . 3/3/2010
I can’t imagine not getting to my possessions for up to 6 months..especially if they are a stones throw away. UGH!

I was hoping we’d get to see what Sam looked like! Right when he said he was going to take a bath - I hoped he would look in the mirror so we could find out!

You’ve got to stop making me cry! That picture was stuck in my head for months - I feel so bad for Sam and Al! They want to help so badly... and sometimes can’t. You really are writing them so well!

Loved the Oklahoma “chatter” - ‘If you don’t like the weather in Oklahoma, just wait a minute and it’ll change.’ (Haha) I hope to see more of these moments only us Oklahomans know... :)
callih chapter 3 . 3/3/2010
I don't know this guy or his girlfriend. I'm intrigued to say the least.

It's kinda errie..reading this on a Quantum Leap fic site. You make it seem so real. I should say, surreal, perhaps.

I have NO idea why you only have a few reviews. This is an amazing story, written as well as any newspaper account and better, because..it has such a 'human' quality to it!

And they say fanfic has no good authors. I say..fuck em! what do they know!

you, madam..are a first class author of the highest quality!