Reviews for Shattered
Teobi chapter 22 . 4/17
nOOOO NOT THE END! asdfghjk

I wanted this story to go on forever. But this time, just endless chapters of goofy Norman and adorable Laney in love... the cheesiest romcom ever... running along the sand... they even have a dog. It's perfect. I'm so happy I found this. It's kept me going for three days- I purposely didn't read TOO fast because I didn't want to reach the end. I also don't want to fill a review with spoilers but that dramatic climax... Norman's very own Janet Leigh moment... at least now he knows how it feels!

Honestly though. Just look how Norman Bates blossoms when shown a little genuine love. He starts out bitter and betrayed, an angry man full of regret, then he goes to the motel... that was a surreal hark back to the past both for Norman and the reader... poor, dead motel... then Laney arrives on the scene like a breath of fresh air... turns Norman's life around on a dime. And she is such a lovely lady. I want to read A Very Special Smile! (And any other book she writes with Norman as her inspiration... hmmm, maybe her next book won't be for children, haha)

I loved things like Norman Bates double locking his hotel room ... Not taking any chances are we, Norm? Connie being a sly bitch, (well I didn't *love* that but I wasn't surprised she turned out to be a scheming witch... tricking Norman into having a child... loved in Psycho IV when he told her, "All that faith, and no potatoes"). Norman is an enigma. Awkward, shy and stammering one minute, full of bristling anger the next. You really don't want to push him just to see what happens. Loved how you described him as a marionette of a man, uncomfortable in his own skin. Fortunately Laney is there to bring him out of his shell, and what a wonderful, loving man he is when he feels safe, secure and loved.

Mrs. Bates tried to drive a wedge between them, all those years ago, but she didn't succeed and I am very glad. This fic feels like the most fitting end to the Psycho legacy. I am quite sure that if Anthony Perkins read this he would have cried, just like I did and I am sure other readers too. It's a beautiful story, perfectly woven, I could see it playing out in my head, vividly, from beginning to end. There was never a moment where I thought, "I know exactly what's going to happen next." You took us on a wonderful journey and consistently surprised us. The love scene was tender and erotic, Norman was wearing his white shirt and jeans... But not for long! Lucky, lucky, Laney. And by the way, Laney Bates O'Donnell has such a cool ring to it. I can't even. Hmm, she really had to think long and hard about whether she wanted to marry Norman, haha!

What a film this would have made. I'd buy it on every format available. As it is, I'm going to go back to the beginning and start reading it again. If you are still around, I just want you to know, you have written possibly the best Psycho fanfic IN THE WORLD.

Here comes the spaghetti monster! AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!
Teobi chapter 19 . 4/17
Scrap what I said about Connie having any humanity. She's horrible! I feel so sorry for the baby. Why? Because it has 50% of Connie's genes. The only part of that baby that will be normal is the part that comes from Norman. At least Norman has some warmth to him!

I felt so bad for Norman in the last couple of chapters. It seems that wherever he goes, trouble follows. And then he has to put up with judgmental officials who think they know everything, and rude detectives calling him a 'loser'. Loser is the last word I'd call Norman. Losers don't hold it together day after day after day while their whole world repeatedly crumbles around them.

I hope with all my heart for a happy ending to this story. Norman deserves it so much. I want to see him happily married to Laney and all those authority figures out of his life forever. (Except the nice ones :p )

btw I love how you had him wearing his black turtleneck when he met Laney at the booksigning. No wonder she went ga-ga. I also love Norman's little sarcasms dotted throughout the story- "It was the cabbage"- and Car 418, a nod to Marion's car license plate in Psycho. Every chapter brings a 'squee!' or an 'oh no' moment!
Teobi chapter 13 . 4/17
Detectives Ackley and Warman need their own show. They have done what others have failed to do- they have summed up Psycho, Psycho II, Psycho III and Psycho IV in simple, easy-to-understand fashion, without any inconsistencies or continuity errors. A standing ovation for those two, please!

Still loving this story. Kept me awake until almost 2am, and I keep going back to re-read it. Norman and Laney are adorable, but there's still this feeling that it's TOO perfect, that perhaps they are both putting all of their eggs into one basket because they are both so lonely. And yet, they ARE soulmates, and their scenes together are priceless. Norman is legit a labrador puppy, and as one of your other reviewers points out, you have NAILED the whole Tony Perkins/Norman Bates character. Everything he does and says... 100% accurate.

Then there's the fact that he's so in love he doesn't bother with the TV or the radio, otherwise he'd know that the shit is about to hit the fan.

God this story has given ME a reason to live this week.

I will come back eventually with a review that makes more sense.

Meanwhile, I just have to say that even the unsympathetic characters have humanity in them, even manipulative Connie. The way you wrote her in the earlier chapters, and especially what she did to Norman in the car... you wrote it so sensitively, and yet it was so full of horror, and it proved to be a turning point in the story... which is also what I love... the turning points aren't always obvious at first.
Teobi chapter 7 . 4/16
Norman is the Very Special Smile! OMG. I am crying. Really. TEARS.

I am sitting here at 1am because I cannot put this story down. I have never read anything so marvelous. I was going to review at some point but I can't stop reading. But I just had to say something about Norman being the Very Special Smile.

You are an amazing writer and now I'm going to dive back into this story!

(Oh, and BOO, HISS CONNIE! *throws rotten tomatoes*)
Guest chapter 22 . 12/21/2013
I really enjoyed how you paid tribute to other classic horror films, for instance having Laney being interviewed by author of "Child's Play" and the lines where she says, "all work and no play makes Laney a dull girl." It was a joy through and through to read, I highly appreciated these small inside jokes and attention to detail.
Nic Coay chapter 22 . 7/3/2013
This was a great story! I loved it. It was a nice portrayal if Norman (who is so adorable) and Laney was a great character. The story was very interesting, especially the intrigue about Mrs. Harruson's murder. I didn't expect Jason, though I should have. I sort of expected it to be Norman and Laney was another delusion. Really glad it wasn't! The ending was so perfect! A much better ending for poor Norman, who really deserves to be happy for once. ) It was great!
Phoebe Cloud chapter 22 . 4/4/2011
I LOVED this! I'm glad that Norman finally got the happy ending he deserves.

You really captured Norman perfectly, and I love that Laney exists. And while I especially like that when Norman and Connie went their separate ways, I'm glad they AGREED to, if you get what I mean.

We all know that Tony Perkins was gorgeous in the first movie, but I thought he was quite handsome in II, II, and IV, especially for being like 40-50 yrs, and I like that Laney felt the same way. Heh. ;]

Not really sure what else to add except for that this story is DEFINITELY going on my favorites, and when I finish typing this review I'm going to your profile to see what else you've written :D.
ChocolateChipCookie28 chapter 22 . 3/17/2011
Awww, I loved it! Good job. :)
smithsbabe65 chapter 22 . 3/8/2011
I read every single chapter of this glorious opus in one sitting. I would have reviewed as I went along, but I didn't want to pause until I got to the end.

So I decided to save the commentary until the last blessed chapter.

I've been a life long Psycho, and for that matter Tony Perkins fan. And I have to say that after many years of searching, I never thought that I would find a fan fic that would do the character of Norman Bates or the actor that played him justice...until I found yours.

This story from beginning to end was simply spectacular! You not only managed to capture this character so perfectly, you breathed new life into him! My God, I was so spellbound, especially when he visited the grounds of the condemned motel. The descriptions of the decay and neglect were so vivid to me they practically lept off the page.

I loved how you picked up the story directly after the events of Psycho IV. And how I cheered when you correctly portrayed Connie Bates by revealing her as nothing more than a selfish, lonely woman. By putting her own needs in front of her husband's she was exposed for the master manipulator and lier that she is. Poor Norman, duped into a marriage that was a mistake from very beginning.

And thank you, thank you, thank you for giving us an OFC that we could identify with and root for. Laney was certainly a breath of fresh air and EXACTLY what Norman needed. By associating her with the best memories of his otherwise horrific childhood, she immediately became an symbol for his salvation and future. Thank goodness she's the antithesis of Dr. Connie.

I also gave three cheers for the brief appearance of Tracy Venable. Yeah, I know she's annoying but she served her purpose.

Lastly, the way you depicted all of Tony Perkins' mannerisms, quirks, tics and that sweet endearing stutter was sheer perfection!

I know that this story has come to an end. But I hope that you will continue to regale us with more sotries of Norman Bates or any other of Tony Perkins' characters. His portrayal as Alexis in Phaedra comes to mind. God, that man was so hot in that fireplace seduction scene. If you haven't seen it there's a clip of it on You Tube.
Birikein chapter 22 . 6/2/2010
The end.. sniff... but it's a good end for all, even for Connie :/ hehe.

So typical for the police and other pubblic entities ("He's not our problem now.")to pass the black cat with boots to the next...

In chap 19 you really makes clear what a person is Connie! So selfish... but I thought that she would give more war or at least, more problems. It was a short and clean cut and it's ok this way. She get wath she wants and Norman too. :D

A little advice for your possible next Norman story... don't overdo it with the stutter :P

Love the little moment of suspens between chap 21 and 22 :D

Summary: you write simple stories with realism (both: situation and characters), tactful, well-structured and your art to express/write it is what I love. In this story what I especially appreciate arre the different points of view of each involved part (Norman, Laney, Police, Sandy, Tv reporters, etc... even Connie).
Demonic Muffin chapter 18 . 5/22/2010
I feel worse every time I read a new chapter that I've only seen the crappy Vince Vaughn remake. This fic getting better and better with each chapter - you're doing such a great job, dear! It's thrilling and the dialogue between Norman and Laney makes me giddy!
Birikein chapter 17 . 5/10/2010
Chap 16 and 17: Ok... read up all the compliments you can find here in the net.. they are all for you (I stole them and give them to you.. :P) Ok ok.. be a little more serious (although I was serious with that). The policemen always with a joke on their tongue... LOL Norman is Norman, just that lovely.. he needs Laney (AWAY WITH THAT CONNIE!)

And the part "You've been a naughty boy, Norman." is PRICELESS.

So far I love this story a lot (hmm.. *looking my other review*... you didn't noticed it until now, do you? :P
Birikein chapter 15 . 5/10/2010
Hi you storyteller! Chap 15: well done!

Laney thoughts and her POV are really good.

The news - as if you'd caught them from the TV :P

And Norman with his typical "shook his head slowly, and this gradually changed to a nod." and stuttering ... can't be more perfect. :D
Demonic Muffin chapter 15 . 5/7/2010
I freaked out at every word. You really know how to pull me in. This was an awesome way to start off a long weekend!
Birikein chapter 14 . 4/28/2010
Action! At last, Action! :D

Someone could think that so many police cars only for Norman are exaggerated... taked from a movie or something like that. Hey, here if someone has not the right car-papers and has an odd/suspect face, there will be 5 police cars stopping you!

Ok, back to the story, the police men remembers me those from your Javert Christmas story (a little more realistic and serious perhaps, but the same men). When Ackley said "Necrophilia?" I had to stop reading, and waiting two min. before I could read the rest. LOL. Poor Norman! HE IS NOT SO PERV!

Another quote:
"Is he kidding? It's raining! He may have a raincoat, but I don't!" LOL.

Waiting for the next chapter... maybe a Norman - Connie "hi! Nice to see you again?" or we have to wait all the burocratic and police procedure?... hehe you will sure surprise me with something.