Reviews for Incommunicado
bibliophilea chapter 34 . 4/12
This is a brilliant story. I love your OCs, and how complex and real they are and how well you developed both them and their backstories. I love how incredibly well you wrote from Danny's perspective, and how well you developed his character as the story progressed. I love how you deepened Vlad's perspective beyond what canon gives us, and revealed his perspective over time through Danny's developing insight in it. I love how creative you were in developing and complicating the plot, sticking Danny, Taj, Toushiro, even Diego in such impossible situations and getting them to think their way out of them. I love how real you made everything feel, how every move had physical and emotional consequences on all the characters, how each character had their own ways of dealing with everything, and their own breaking points and reactions to those breaking points. This story (and "Powerless", for that manner) is on par with plenty of published books I've read; heck, it's better than some published books I've read. I love it! It is fantastic, spoken with all the enthusiasm and excitement of the Ninth Doctor when using the word! Thank you for writing this, and for putting it in a place where I could read it!
bibliophilea chapter 27 . 4/11
Man... He spent about four and a half weeks there... And if the 60 minutes to one minute thing holds true in a linear fashion for extended lengths of time spent both there and in the present time, it all amounted to half a day in the present time. That's got to be disorienting, and that's not even taking into account the vast differences between the worlds, as well as Danny reorienting himself to human mode with one ghost power at a time. No wonder Taj developed such vastly different personas for either world; it's the only way to survive such disorienting, frequent, random switching between two vastly differing worlds with such different timescales.
bibliophilea chapter 26 . 4/11
First off, I wanted to say that Taj's backstory is awesome! I love seeing how he got his powers, and what his powers entail! I kind of wondered if he was being flung into an apocalyptic future, but until this point, alternate dimension was plausible. I was wondering how the cult came into play!

Now... on to the volcano... that just seems like a really, REALLY bad idea. They don't know nearly enough about the orb to know what would happen if they threw it into the lava! This isn't like throwing the One Ring back into the fires of Mount Doom from whence it came (though it wouldn't surprise me if this is what Danny was thinking when he decided on the volcano). They don't know enough about the properties of the orb to know that this would work! Well, Taj might know enough about the orb, but does he know enough about how the orb would interact with a volcano to know that this would work? What if the melting point of the orb is above the temperature of the lava within the volcano? Then they're just dumping the orb in a vat of molten earth, letting it flow to who knows where (is the orb more or less dense than the lava? That'll determine if it sinks or floats, and where it stops if it sinks), hoping the pressure doesn't crush it, or that no mishaps occur if it flows to a place where the lava solidifies (and who knows how the orb will react to the cooking process, especially if it's a relatively rapid process, which tends to make objects brittle if it's too fast a cooling, which could cause it to crack if the material changes size faster than the bonds can react to the change). On the other hand, what if the orb only partially melts? That is, what if the orb behaves like a mixture of various materials, only some of which have a melting point below the temperature of the lava? What happens with those chunks of solid dispersed throughout the lava? Does breaking them result in the same thing as breaking the orb? And even if all of it melts, what if the orb isn't soluble in lava? Then it wouldn't diffuse through the lava - the only thing that could get the orb to disperse would be flow of the lava itself, and I don't know nearly enough about the flow of lava in a volcano to know just how effective that flow would be at dispersing the orb; if it isn't very effective, then all you've really done is changed the state of the orb - it's all still there, even if it's in a less concentrated form, and there's the chance that the orb could reach a part of the lava that's resolidifying, resulting in a newly solid not-orb-shaped orb. There are so many different ways this plan could go wrong without a deeper understanding of the physical properties of the orb, and this isn't even getting into the magical properties of the orb and how those properties interact with the physical properties! If I were them, I'd want to get that orb to a material science lab to figure out as much as I could about the orb before coming up with a plan to destroy it. While the tests they could do would be limited because they can't risk breaking the orb, there are still plenty of tests they could perform to try to determine something of its microstructure and physical properties. Learning this could provide insight on how best to destroy the orb, and whether or not throwing it into an active volcano is actually a good plan. Given their current situation, I understand that their access to any lab, let alone a lab properly equipped for studying the properties of materials AND with scientists who would listen to the teens and take them seriously without some ulterior motive like getting access to their powers, is practically nil; however, if they could bust Toushiro out of Vlad's place and explain the entire situation to him, he could probably use his connections to gain access to a lab with the necessary equipment and scientists who would follow instructions on what NOT to do to the orb without asking questions. Granted, if Taj knows enough about the orb and volcanoes, or has enough instinctual knowledge regarding how the orb would react, to know how it would react to being thrown into an active volcano, none of that would be necessary; but if he doesn't, just throwing it into the volcano is an incredibly risky plan.
bibliophilea chapter 24 . 4/11
Half an hour of sobbing to get all the emotions he's been repressing and all the emotions from that night terror out of his system, followed by a good laugh at a lame joke to save their sanity. Just what the doctor ordered! You certainly know how to write an imperfect, improvised, emotionally charged escape scene! And a well-done night terror expressing the things Danny currently fears most. And the way you wrote his breakdown from his point of view as if he were writing this down after the fact, was masterfully done. In some ways, the way you write Danny is slightly reminiscent of the way Jim Butcher writes Harry Dresden.
bibliophilea chapter 21 . 4/11
This is one of the most fascinating Danny-Vlad moments I've ever seen. I love the way you outlined Vlad's philosophy! However messed up it is, its logic is very consistent with Vlad's behavior and thought patterns. I also detected some shades of Voldemort's philosophy ("There is no good or evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."), combined with quite a bit of Darwinism. The way he keeps going on about how Danny's young, and he doesn't understand, but he will understand later in life, makes me think Vlad may have been put through some similar situations, forced to learn how to lie and connive and manipulate and do whatever it takes to get what he wants through the school of hard knocks. The certainty that Danny'll thank him later makes me wonder if Aleksey contributed to that education, and to what extent. It would be a fitting parallel, for Vlad to be teaching his 'nephew' the same hard lessons his uncle taught him. It's a parallel Vlad would home in on, solidifying his delusion that Danny'll one day come to his senses and truly accept Vlad as his mentor; heck, maybe Vlad had a "coming to his senses" moment regarding Aleksey, probably after Vlad came into his ghost powers and learned that the woman he had a crush on was marrying the man he'd called his best friend. I think Vlad does care about Danny, but because his philosophy is so messed up, the way he shows he cares is equally messed up.
bibliophilea chapter 17 . 4/10
Hmmm. Based on the look on his face, I get the feeling the seriously crazed-up frootloop is proud of his little badger in his own way... coming up with a plan to remove the remote that Vlad didn't quite see coming until Danny had accomplished it, actually managing to follow through with the plan and reach his goal, and all while he was in the weaker position. Vlad'll probably turn this into one of his "you're getting more and more like me every day" spiels, maybe even throwing in a "we should do this more often if these are the results" for good measure. I love this story. ON TO THE NEXT CHAPTER!
bibliophilea chapter 11 . 4/10
I was on guard for it, but this chapter still makes me sad! I really wanted to believe Aleksey was being a bit more open with Danny than he's just shown himself to be, and that he wouldn't stand for the way Vlad's been treating Danny... and while this betrayal of trust, as well as the realization that everything was a set up, even the text he'd thought he could trust, will surely dig into Danny, overhearing this conversation presents him with options he didn't have before. He has far more info than he'd expected to gain, and he has the opportunity to make Vlad think he's winning Danny over, this gaining even more information. I think Aleksey would be suspicious if Danny "played into Vlad's hands" after only a few days... but I get the feeling he'd let Danny do his thing without informing Vlad. After all, Danny's gut did say Aleksey was trustworthy, and I don't think his gut reaction towards the man should be so easily discounted. Aleksey's chess advice also comes to mind... I get the feeling he'd opt to see what the other players are doing before making his moves visible.
bibliophilea chapter 6 . 4/10
I like Vlad's uncle Aleksey. I really hope he doesn't turn out to be psychotic. This makes me wonder just how much Vlad has told his uncle of his past activities... based on my first impression of him, I get the feeling Aleksey would highly disapprove of even a quarter of what Vlad's done to Danny thus far.
ElizabethBathog chapter 35 . 2/26
Awesome! This was fun reading! :D Congratulation on publishing a book! :) I will probably be reading more from you since i really like how you write and so now i will go to the next one! :D Thank you for writing this awesome work! :)
Deda Altesse chapter 35 . 11/18/2014
This story is amazing! More people need to read this! I will go tell people about this awsomeness now.
:D :D :D
I'm still so excited from this!
(I need more exclamatory marks so many more - D:)
Deda Altesse chapter 34 . 11/18/2014
Dang it Danny! You let him live!
You should have crossed over to the dark side and destroyed his ass like a sidekick gone wrong!
Deda Altesse chapter 21 . 11/18/2014
I'm waiting for at what point Danny FINALLY desides to kill Vlad off. (for the good of the planet and all he holds dear of course)
Dragon Courage chapter 34 . 1/7/2014
Awesome
GreggoGeek22 chapter 1 . 1/2/2014
Sequel for the sequal? Pretty please?
Fruit bat99 chapter 34 . 12/12/2013
Okay, so finally finished this awesome story!
Your imagination is absolutely amazing and you have Danny's character nailed! I have to say that the last couple of lines was possibly the best part of the whole story, just sums everything up very nicely :').
Even though you took the whole setting out of the DP universe, you made it believable and the same can be said for your OCs - I fell in love with Diego a bit at the end there, I won't lie :P.
You definitely are one of the best DP writers out there, keep going! I look forward to reading your other stories :).