Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
RegulusBlackForever chapter 101 . 3/11
I love this story. So, so much. I don't really understand most of it, but that's probably due to my lack of teaching in Science. I've read this three times now. Please update before summer. I just went to visit and you said you're not updating until then. Yes, you are evil. Eviller that Professor Quirrell. I LOVE the Battle Magic lessons. I love the Chaos Legion, the Dragon Army and the Sunshine Regiment. Thanks to this story, I went to sleep at 2:00 in the morning. I spent all night drawing them :D. I love this story. So, so much. And no, I don't care that I've already said this.

And I thought I'd say, WOW. You've got over 23,000 reviews. That's 23,000 emails, not including the Favourites and Followers. Wow.
Anonymous chapter 20 . 3/11
I have three pieces of criticism for you.

The first is that Voldemort is out of character, and it stretches disbelief that he was still Voldemort, given who he appears to be now. Assuming, of course, that Quirrell is still possessed by Voldemort now.
In canon he's an utter racist -, and by extension, attracts other racist -s to his cause. If you make him more intelligent, as you seem to have done, you lose the blinding utter racist - charisma that he had before: even if he has charisma and intelligence, the Death Eaters would not still follow someone who actually thinks to do things like sneak into NASA and horcrux the Pioneer Plaque because he's smarter than them.

Secondly, Quirrell's lecture on the Killing Curse working on everything and Apparation working on everything else was moronic, for the following reasons:
1) The Killing Curse is not simply a point and shoot weapon like a handgun. It requires the user to actively desire the death of the subject. It cannot be used in self defense.
2) The Killing Curse does not affect things that are already dead, such as vampires, zombies, or inferi. It has also not been confirmed to affect Boggarts, which are common household pests and can't be Apparated away from because they camp your house.
3) Apparition is dangerous to use under stressful circumstances, such as when being attacked by an anything. (See, e.g., Ron Weasley in "Deathly Hallows".)
4) The darkest things most wizards are expected to fight ARE common household pests. The classes are required for OWLs, which are general education, not for Aurors specifically.

In other words, there are darned good reasons for teaching methods other than "spam Killing Curses and Apparition" for fighting monsters, particularly both common household pests and terrifying creatures. Using Avada Kedavra on pests is sort of like using a shotgun to hunt mice - it would work, but it's massive overkill

The third thing is that your ten year olds are out of character for ten year olds to an even more dramatic degree than the ones in the original were. 10-11 year olds have unfinished frontal lobes, which control . . . rational thought. By Piaget's model, they are just entering the formal operational stage, which allows for abstract thought. So, Harry shouldn't be able to reason on the same level as grownups, which is something he more or less takes for granted, and an ability he apparently has in this one.

That last one is probably least important, since nobody else writes their 10-year-olds like 10-year-olds either. But it is egregious since the whole story is about science that such a scientific error should allow for its existence. Particularly true if Harry is supposed to be genetically identical to the canon Harry, who was pretty average intelligence-wise, so a higher IQ or other genetic mutation for improved brain-meats can't explain the difference.

Well, I'm just some anonymous reviewer and this is a big popular story, and all my problems with it cropped up in the first 20 chapters when it's now over 100 long, so it's likely that it won't change anything.
PerfectDisaster22 chapter 101 . 3/11
I have no words for how much I have enjoyed reading the story thus far.

The complexity of the plot: brilliant.
The way each decision complicates everything and brings about three times as many complications: satisfying.
A story that actually has profound and irrevocable consequences: a miracle.
The characterizations and re-imaginings of canon: fantastic.
The way my brain breaks every time I try to match canon to this plot: amusing.

I cannot imagine where this story will end up, but I am excited to get there.
CuriousGuest chapter 5 . 3/11
I think I broke some ribs while laughing at the end :D
CuriousGuest chapter 2 . 3/11
A promising chapter. Hope the rest is as good :)
Deathday Party Planner chapter 91 . 3/11
This is your story and as many are proud to proclaim, 'You can do whatever you want in it.' But, I have to say, I hate it when an author turns such a huge project into a pile of excrement through their own efforts. Good luck trying to redeem this story without Hermione, it has zero chance in my opinion. Your Harry is not a sufficiently sympathetic character to successfully carry your storyline. You've made him far too obtuse. One of my fervent aspirations for this story was the development of a romantic HHr pairing stemming from their accelerated maturity. There are another 10 more chapters currently posted and I will attempt to read to that point in the hopes that you have a speedy resurrection in your plot. With over 23,000 reviews and 13,000 reading fans todate, I'm sure you get plenty of positive feedback on this story, but this twist has earned my dismay.
dantez chapter 101 . 3/10
so not going to lie but i am lazy, so this story is still in the first year? even though its approximately half the length of the series, just wondering if its worth getting into even with the unbelievably slow pace (500,000 words is approximately 2000 pages)
SuperVegitoFAN chapter 2 . 3/10
I can give several defenses for anamagi but on my smartphone? No too complex
SuperVegitoFAN chapter 1 . 3/10
Im gonna read this story, or as much of it as i like (wont know until you try they say) on THIS site for ONE reason.

black background and white text... i like dark colors, feels safe...
so unless i can do the same on any other fanfiction site ill only read really good stories... but in this case that wasnt necessary.
Mitch Hamiton chapter 87 . 3/10
Your doing Science with him!

BAHAhahahahahahaha!

I laughed for like 10 minutes.
pencuriLumba-Lumba chapter 5 . 3/10
Itulah yang aku butuhkan! Reaksi-reaksi dari sekitarnya ! (Sorry if you not understood what I am say)
pencuriLumba-Lumba chapter 1 . 3/10
attractive,and interesting
pencuriLumba-Lumba chapter 2 . 3/10
Menarik(in Indonesian)-[Interesting]
Sailor Saturn fan chapter 20 . 3/9
The outer space that they were in was an awesome thing to write about! Fascinating! Also, Harry disliking Dumbledore? This sure is a different Harry Potter. I actually like the relationship Quirrel and Harry have. It's dark but humorous and emotional in a way. And Harry learning Occlumency at a young age is great! I guess this Quirrel is not paired up with Voldemort... I think? Review later!

-Saturn
David Bowie chapter 12 . 3/9
I think Harry Potter must have read a lot of Douglas Adams as an infant.
23,754 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 .. Last Next »