Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
David Bowie chapter 12 . 3/9
I think Harry Potter must have read a lot of Douglas Adams as an infant.
Time scicence chapter 28 . 3/9
To partially transfigure, Harry had to go into the deepest level, something about time science, that I don't understand. It seems that it's enough to make him question the Time-Turner, yet he doesn't. If he can conceptualize time in this deep, non-linear way, I'm surprised the time turner doesn't confuse him.
Plot Error chapter 25 . 3/9
There's an error in the plot - granted I haven't finished reading this chapter, wanted to share this before I forgot. It was such a small detail that you really could not have included it and the story will be the same, just with no plot hole now. Harry figures out that spells are like buttons "The ancient forebears of the wizards, thousands of years earlier, had told the Source of Magic to only levitate things if you said...
'Wingardium Leviosa.'"

Here's the problem. In the last chapter you wrote: "[Draco] needed to ask other portraits to help translating, English had changed a lot, but the oldest portraits had described first-year spells that sounded an awful lot like the ones they had now. "

This, coupled with Harry's earlier experiment with Hermione, about changing duration of syllables, sounds like you're saying you have to say the spell in exactly the right way for it to work, but according to Draco's findings, pronunciation, or rather the English language itself had changed, and the spells "sounded an awful lot the ones they had now" meaning they actually sounded different, making your point bunk. Maybe if I read further I'll see that Harry's assumptions are wrong, but if this was just the oversight of the author, I recommend taking out the little detail about spells sounding differently. Then again, the story's been so carefully written up to this point I'm willing to believe that small detail is very important. Either way I love the story, thanks for writing!
Jesse Adams-Luko chapter 24 . 3/9
Nice Deathnote reference.
zissy chapter 2 . 3/9
i really like the idea of a non broken family, but I got troubles to see a 11 year old muggel boy to know about algorithms in 3rd grade...

hope Snape is making his life a hell, cos I really am not sympathetic to this Harry Potter ;)

and another thing: JKRs Potter is good at lots of magical things, cos no one ever told him that things aren't possible. your Harry has a whole muggel knowledge, preventing him from making the impossible possible.

let's see how this logic number is going on
notsignedinohno chapter 5 . 3/9
That last bit was freaking hilarious. I do shit like that to people all that time, but I've never managed to accidentally get other people going along with it. Masterful.
Deathday Party Planner chapter 74 . 3/8
Very funny! Just great! I chuckled through the whole chapter, but the classroom scene was a true hoot! Thank you!
Sailor Saturn fan chapter 18 . 3/8
Harry has some anger issues! But I like his dark side. It's very amusing. I was surprised that Harry started crying when Professor McGonagall said he was sufficed. I liked that part the most. What also shocked me was that Harry was talking back at Dumbledore and called him a FOOL! I love your representation of this Harry you created. I'm in awe! ;)

-Saturn
Epicurus relations:

. . . death is nothing to us. For all good and evil consists in sensation, but death is deprivation of sensation. And therefore a right understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not because it adds to it an infinite span of time, but because it takes away the craving for immortality. For there is nothing terrible in life for the man who has truly comprehended that there is nothing terrible in not living. [Death] does not then concern either the living or the dead, since for the former it is not, and the latter are no more.
sachi1325 chapter 11 . 3/8
Now that was brilliant, the Headmaster! :D
J-Kid chapter 101 . 3/8
So my whole take on Hermione Granger's death and disappearance? Harry orchestrated the entire thing. An OLDER Harry, somehow managing to go further back in time. Because currently, he's benefiting from circumstances a LOT. Dumbledore's power is weakening (no more "For the greater good" machinations) He's now allies with Malfoy again, even more strongly, because Draco's father is backing the alliance; He has a a clear purpose now (defeat death), he has the backing of the younger generations of pureblood houses such as Nott, Davis, and Longbottom; he's also finally cutting more ties with the DA professor. Also the return of the money is a minor thing on the whole to the House of Potter, but let's not forget that he's no longer beholden to House Malfoy under debt.

I think if Harry is wise, he'll start putting HIMSELF as a suspect just as highly ranked as, say, Dumbledore and the DA professor. After all he's already messed with time once to trick himself and his layers of plot run that deeply. The disappearance of Hermione's body points to this idea too. An older Harry, having defeated Death, (and there's no question that's where this story is going) would HAVE to steal her body to resurrect it.

The idea that Harry will have to destroy stars to defeat Voldemort in the end and get rid of V's Horcrux? No wonder the centaur wanted to kill him.

In regards to the forest: WHY WERE THE FIRSTIES IN THE FOREST AT ALL?! How many weeks had passed since the new edicts from the Board of Governors and the arrival of the Aurors? Also Harry's greatest weakness as a character- assuming WAY too much. Granted he hasn't been told yet about Unicorns, but even then . . . if he was worried about eating sentient vegetables, why wasn't he worried about Unicorns?
sachi1325 chapter 5 . 3/8
And I can't stop laughing at 2 o clock in the night. My flatmates probably think, I have gone mad or something. This is gold, I swear!
sachi1325 chapter 4 . 3/8
I think wow is the word I am looking for. Came across a reference to your story on science-harry potter answer thingy on quora. Amazed by the writing. It has been too long since I have read such a good fan fiction. I really,really hope though that you don't abandon this story like the zillion others on this website.
Thanks again for the story, even if you abandon it in the future :)
Both Dumbledore and Harry are wrong about this subject. If the Veil was simply an archway that made you hear voices and disintegrated you if you passed through, a large amount of Finite Incantatems would be sufficient to break the charms and boom, no more Veil. The fault of Dumbledore is that it hasn't occurred to him to test this and prove Harry wrong. About what you said concerning Neville's parents, if they are truly uncurable, the best thing for them would be death, afterlife or no. They're basically brain-dead. As for the truncheon scenario, I find it extremely naive. The universe doesn't care what you think about death, just as it doesn't care that you have to say Wingardim Leviosa to make things fly. All the same, death shouldn't be subjectified as something good either. Subjectfying death and the afterlife are some of Dumbledore's faults as well. The thing Harry fails to realize is that people do eventually get tired of living, and that someday he will too. I don't think Harry should be skeptical about the afterlife, because I can think of plenty of ways the afterlife can be proven using magic, ways that wizards just haven't thought of yet.
johan.diaz.12532 chapter 5 . 3/7
Dear God chapter 5 maybe fall on my laughing and rolling on the floor is so hilarious
and top it off he tells her to go get another drink.
23,755 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »