Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
loonyphoenix chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Wow. This is really, really cool and explains a lot of things. This fic is so great; I keep expecting it to get worse, or otherwise become disappointing in one way or another, as so many good stories turn out to be eventually for some odd reason. But not this one; it just keeps getting better and better. Maybe because you're doing it for fun only? Probably the desire to earn money from art such as writing interesting, thoughtful, insightful stories corrupts in time more often than not? I don't know. But I pray that this story stays on the path of becoming one of the greatest stories ever told.

That was a stream of consciousness on my part; sorry if it was a little disjointed and rambling :)
badkidoh chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Well this was good & different.
KatheeHDS chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
OMG OMGOMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

(Just had to leave some senseless review)

I'll read all the story again bofore the next chapter, to have it all fresh once again in my mind...

I hope there won't be any delays in your posting, and, if they are, they won't be by some unexpected and unwanted situation!

Thank you for this story, I love stories that make me think, and yours usually implies spending time googleing some concepts .

Thank you for giving us the chance to learn new things!
PersianPianist chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
it just occurred to me...

Harry aspires to leave earth one day and live somewhere else, possibly another galaxy. Quirremort has the same dream.

Harry has a choice according to Snape.

And according to the prophecy...Harry and Voldy in the same cauldron equals cauldron exploding.

so maybe, one of them is simply going to leave earth...

Is that possible?
sappy3 chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Good chapter. Nice to see Snape again. The reflections about the Obliviation spell are very true. I always considered Hermione's use of it on her parents truly despicable, much worse than say, rape.

About the whole Mysterious Black Hat controversy I wanted to add that (I'm not sure what this logical fallacy is called) I doubt the Mysterious Black Hat that talks with Zabini is the same person as the Mysterious Black Hat Hermione meets.

Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're the same person. Snape is most likely the person Zabini meets while the person Hermione meets is Quirrel. His behavior and knowledge and insinuations fits him to a Tee. Remembering that he just observed Snape hiding behind Obliviations and saw how influential Hermione is on Harry its not hard to figure out that he decided to use the same methods to gauge and maybe influence Hermione in a similar way.
Lord of Murder chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Wow I feel really sad for her now. That was pretty damn moving.
Fenrir666 chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Poor Severus...
Pathatlon chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
This was reaaaaally... odd... But I kinda liked it!1
Gnasher chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
This kinda creeped me out. But hey, Snape is a pretty creepy guy so it's not that different . . . . . um . . . yeah.
shhIwasn'there chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Rianne Felthorne seems to be the only person in this entire story that I can identify with.

wow a chapter with no Harry in it. that was a much awaited break, no rationality here. just human confusion.

I was reading William James' 'The Will to Believe' last night, and every other paragraph I kept wondering what would your Harry think about it all. He has sorta become my role model. it just makes me feel pathetic that he is just 11 and knows so much more than me. I really hope there are no children like that around in the real world.
Simplex chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Looking forward to the next chapter, hopefully a week from now with any luck.

Mikko - Pleasant coincidence, i recently finished reading a pile of Egan books, at the (somewhat indirect) recommendation of Yudkowsky. ( - The author is mentioned somewhere in there, and i really do recommend his books for everyone who doesn't mind a bit of good sci-fi).

It was rather touching to see Snape not having to worry about his image, and being more 'himself', however much of a meaning that concept would have to an accomplished legilimens.

I was also rather disturbed when i realised what was happening to poor Hermione (the sense of fatigue in her fingers was what gave it away for me), one can only hope she's observant enough to notice the disparity between her memories and her aching muscles.
sizuka2 chapter 76 . 9/7/2011
A few thoughts about the identity of Mr. Hat and Cloak. The clear suspect is Quirrellmort, who is certainly capable of it, and may desire a deniable pseudonym. The actions taken don't line up neatly, yet: an allegation to Quirrell, with Harry watching invisibly, of Dumbledore endorsing bullying to pressure Zabini set a wedge between Dumbledore and either Harry or Quirrell. The attempt to gain Hermione's trust has no purpose visible - yet. Two others are capable - Snape and Dumbledore. Dumbledore only makes sense if we assume he's pretending to be crazy and thinking in stories - both of which are true - but arranging for Zabini to betray Dumbledore to Dumbledore is exotic, even for a man who would set a chicken on fire.

Snape - Snape is a real possibility. He uses memory charms extensively in this arc - to cover up his presence at the battle wherein Tracey channeled dread powers, to cover up the pipeline through which he provided Hermione with intel about bullies. Snape is "moving on his own," to quote Quirrell, and surely needs anonymity from both Quirrell AND Dumbledore more than anyone when doing that. And... perhaps he really does want to help Hermione. Dumbledore believed Potter had set Quirrell to protect SPHEW, invisibly... false, until the last, though Dumbledore was certain that no first year could have achieved the results they did (and yes, he specifically references a duel before Tonks joins in). But if Snape were doing that all along... perhaps this is what he would like to do, if unchained from memories of Lily. He does hate bullies after all. And, with Millicent's outing, who else has just lost their channel for communicating with Hermione, and stands in need of a new one? Looking at the evidence, Snape seems most likely.

And still,I keep wondering about a long shot. Hat and Cloak is always and repeatedly described as... black. And if that prisoner indeed was not Sirius... perhaps, just perhaps...Black.
dayum chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
that was some poignant sh*t

loved that scene
Mikko Rauhala chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Okay, so I couldn't help but be disappointed in the shortness. That was, until I read it. At which point, well. Awwwww. Snape with the shields down. Wonderful.

Also, nice to touch upon Obliviation's nature as a local death (for the benefit of other readers, term from Greg Egan for losing a part of your continuity, generally mitigated by having a backup).

To continue on Chapter 76, uhh. Yeah, I did see the Groundhog attack for what it was, and figured that we're not seeing all the rounds, but. I'm not sure if you added the stuff about Hermie being assaulted at least for hours after I read it first time to clarify it, or if I merely missed it altogether the first time I read it (classifying the rather strong hints as mood-creating aura effects of Mr. Hat and then forgetting about them). But yeah, the extent just makes the already rather creepy attack that much creepier.

Mr. Hat being Quirrel would be the obvious choice, so I doubt it's that simple. He doesn't seem to be quite so cunning either. Still possible, though.

I've earlier speculated about Quirrel actually being a personality amalgam of Quirrel and Voldemort, merged on a deeper level than in canon. I'll elaborate: Mr. Hat is pure Voldemort (Hermie would probably recognize him from having seen pictures), roaming separated from Quirrel. The process by which they merged leaves Quirrel a bit ... drooly when there's only him around (possibly as side effect also at other times to conserve strength).

And to retouch on my pet redemption theory, Voldie by himself isn't redeemable, but the Quirrelmort amalgam is. Just add more binding.

'course, I've been rather wrong before, and this is somewhat spesific as speculation goes, so I'm not overly confident on this. (I _feel_ confident about it, but much of that is recognizable as pro-redemption bias, so, meh.)
ByLanternLight chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
I think I might cry a bit, now.

Poor Snape, trying in his own way to be a hero and save Slytherin from itself.
33,226 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,243 1,250 1,251 1,252 1253 1,254 1,255 1,256 1,263 .. Last Next »