Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
AR chapter 19 . 9/21/2011
"Losing must be thinkable"

My God..I simply do not understand how you are able to THINK of all this.

Pride often leads us astray doesn't it? And I applaud how you managed to recognize that pride is very often a simple shield for fear. He needed that lesson and will be better for it.

I say that even when I recognize the bitterness, anger and disbelief upon imagining myself in a similar situation.

It was an impossible task for him to do. He did it well.

As did you...amazing.
AR chapter 18 . 9/21/2011
This story just keeps getting better and better.

I absolutely love how you're are developing his character. And his internal struggle against his "dark side".

And I also love how you are able to end the chapter by making me smile instead of the general sadness that was maintained throughout the conflict of hierarchies.

I believe his flaw is not so much in his intelligence but in his methods of manipulating that intelligence. Simply put..he doesn't grasp the consequences of his actions. And as much as I sympathize with how difficult it must have been for her to do as she did...Minerva was right.

Amazing chapter.
AR chapter 16 . 9/21/2011
The best word I can come up with is: Fascinating.

I do not begrudge him for his imagination...hell..if I counted every time I'd thought of ways to use ordinary items to kill someone seriously; I'm pretty sure I would have committed myself to an asylum a long time ago.

But the truly fascinating thing about this incident is that he is able to SAY it out loud without fear of retribution. I suppose that is where I see him being an 11 year old. He is as yet unaware of his own potential to be different in his need to impress and "think outside the box".
AR chapter 15 . 9/21/2011
I wonder if your detailed analysis about the laws of transfiguration are because of the harry/mcgonagall dynamic or simply because this would be the one field which he could compare to his muggle science and rationality.

Oh and I loved the war between him and hermione...shows the first truly boyish side to him.

still reading..still loving
MizukiYumeko chapter 77 . 9/21/2011
Is it sad that I stayed up till 5 in the morning to read this? Oh well... Keep writing! It's amazing so far, even through the not-so-fun parts where people get in trouble. And it makes me laugh. Laughing is good.

..I have to get up in about 45 minutes to get ready for school... Kind of makes me wonder if I should sleep at all..
Bigreader in The Omniverse chapter 23 . 9/21/2011
nice chapter. You destroyed his evil faith. No wonder he attcked.

Was that Harold Shea a reference to Charles de lints "The Complete Enchanter" series were professors travel to parallel universes through symbology and a theory that all fiction is what artist and authors are view through a filter and that those different universe operate on different laws of physics and magic? if so cool refrence.
AR chapter 14 . 9/20/2011
Interesting...very interesting.

You had me reading his reasoning 3 times trying find a flaw in it. Even though I got it..i still feel like there is some inherent flaw somewhere.

But i LOVE that you made him see himself from the outside. I think that more than anything will sway him from being a sociopath. The ability to recognize that ...switch so to speak in himself.

But now it is 4am and I have a headache with all the thinking. More as I go along.

You're still an amazing writer
AR chapter 11 . 9/20/2011
You read manga!

The naruto reference had me in fits. You're awesome..it's like finding an old friend

Keep writing!
AR chapter 10 . 9/20/2011
. .

I have a look of utter disbelief on my right about now closely entwined with a sense of giddiness. NEVER has ANY writer made me so engrossed in a story that when I read "Slytherin" I literally went in shock for a good 3 minutes saying "oh my god" over and over.

It was only after the 3 minutes that I dared scroll down and see "Ravenclaw". And I am still laughing...

Awed. That is how you've left me. Utterly and completely awed.

On a side note: His fear of failure makes me wonder if Minerva wasn't right in her theories. Dissociation, self control, over rationalization, thirst for knowledge...it does make me wonder about his childhood. Then again that might be just the psychologist in me.

Ah well...
Captain LeBubbles chapter 5 . 9/20/2011
I think it was about the point that McGonagall walked in I lost all ability to function. I can see why everyone thinks chapter five is where it hits it's stride (and I'm so glad you decided not to inflict Harry on poor Hagrid just yet; he'd have never made it through the day, you know).
AR chapter 8 . 9/20/2011
I get what you mean about consequences...but I think that motives play a role in it as well. A poorly executed evil act does not necessarily negate the meanness of the action simply because it did not produce the desired effect..

Also...this boy is strange. I find it intriguing how he can dissociate his feelings from his thoughts. I know that people consider that a sign of psychopathy (especially his conversation with Draco in the previous chapter) but I dont think there is enough evidence to make that conclusion.
chaosglory626 chapter 77 . 9/20/2011
I cried a little. It had absolutely nothing to do with Snape, I was just weeping at the fact that I had caught up. Now I have to wait for more of this amazing story.

I have found that I really like fics that take the main character and turn them into a mad scientist. Much hilarity and awesomeness ensues.

Keep up the good work. This is probably one of the best fics on this site.
chaosglory626 chapter 74 . 9/20/2011
That was without a doubt the single most epic mind-bendingly awesome ritual I have ever ever seen, read, or heard about. I don't think I will run into a ritual that could even approach that level for a very long time if ever.
AR chapter 6 . 9/20/2011
There is a very fine line between being paranoid and being effectively prepared. I've skirted the line enough times to know that adults rarely get where the child is coming from.

On a side note its remarkable how much youve been able to make me empathize with a fictional 11 year old.

Also..he reminds me a little of calvin from calvin and hobbes? the part where the bag eats the kit...is it just me?
AR chapter 5 . 9/20/2011
Im trying to remember the last time a fanfic made me smile like this...I doubt I'll figure that out.

Great writing!
33,436 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,245 1,252 1,253 1,254 1255 1,256 1,257 1,258 1,265 .. Last Next »