Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
AngelForm chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
Very well presented alternate character interpretation.

After all, for some the dark Lord is the saviour of a dieing race.
mupetersas.upenn.edu chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
There goes any hope of Snape and Harry getting along. Pity, since Severus is the closest thing to a scientist that exists at Hogwarts.

But I can't help but feel that Severus, once again, is being unfair with his questions. Despite how smart Harry is, he's still an eleven year old boy, who is not nearly as mature emotionally as he is intellect-wise. Hell, if pressed for details on Hermione, Harry would admit to thinking her, on some irrational level, icky. So asking him about anything relating to love probably wasn't a good idea.

Though boo to Harry who forgot lesson one of Transfiguration: if you don't know what you're getting into, don't guess or bluff.
KGB chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
Wow, that was totally awesome... I just can't put it into words.

In the beginning of the chapter Snape and Harry seemed to connect and in the end Harry pretty much took away any reason for Snape to fight Voldemort.

Well Harry isn't God yet, so he's doomed to make some mistakes. :p
demone celestiale chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
Holy Crap! I found this story today and I read it all in one sitting, It is AMAZING. I swear to god you need to finish it, to many good stories have been abandoned, My only concern is that its already like 100000 words and were only part way through his first year. at this rate it will probably end up something like 900000 words till he graduates. Good Luck!
Loonynamelass chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
A beautiful chapter. I loved the conversation between Harry and Snape; it never could happen in the books, as the death and discovery just didn't coincide in a way to allow that.

The end of the chapter was also fantastic. Thank you for the chapter!
Vah4 chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
Readers for the most part are aware that Rita Skeeter's actions/words in print helped support Voldemort's rise to power. Her actions supported the death of a fair number of characters. As well as the potential maiming of Hermione, by way of hate mail.

In that sense she deserves death.

The writing continues to be excellent.
Raven3182 chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
Wow. Another rather intense chapter. I wasn't expecting a confrontation with Snape to take place so soon in the story. Well done.

I enjoyed the little scene with Harry and Hermione and how she was offended at the thought that Harry might try to protect her delicate little female self. Her reaction was priceless. Please write more scenes with Hermione; one per chapter would be excellent.

Anyways, well done as always. I can't wait for more. Thanks for writing!
Lucy chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
Question: does your criticism of Azkaban also apply to the death penalty in our world? Would being consigned to Azkaban count as a "worse than death" scenario to you?
voider chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
I would not really say that Lily was shallow.

We can't say with that much trust that Lily got together with James Potter just because of his good looks, money and charms and not with Severus Snape due to his his looks and and lack of money.

Snape became a DE and served Voldemort willingly. I am more than certain that during his service, Snape did many, many terrible things.

It could very well be that Lily knew or felt the path Snape was going to choose. Maybe... she knew that, and decided to distance herself for that reason.

And while Snape said JP was a bully, we don't know if there weren't other reasons for their actions beyond Snape being in the snake house and loving Lily. And I rather doubt that JP was just the big bad bully and Snape, just the meek victim.

We know for a fact that Snape was highly skilled in the dark arts and DADA, so he must have been more than able to fight.

Sure, neither James nor Lily were perfect, but at the same time, I doubt that Snape was a better person than they were.
john l chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
'"Erm, he wasn't actually prejudiced against Muggleborns, was he?" said Harry. "I mean, he was wooing one."

Severus nodded silently.'

You DO realize that in general the "i have a black friend so i'm not racist" argument is one of the weakest ones there is? Because if harry was aware of that his mind wouldn't have skipped immediately to "he probably wasn't actually prejudiced against this group because he was crushing on a member of it." It's TOTALLY possible to have black friends and still be racist. The human mind is excellent at making an exception for JUST THAT ONE PERSON who isn't like the rest...
TenshiReike chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
very good and deep chapter. You've gotten better in your writing too, it's noticeable.
Alex Mennen chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
If I had been in Harry's situation, the repetition of his Occlumacy instructor's behavior would have surprised me greatly. The instructor almost certainly does not experience the exact same things every day. If he had not gotten enough sleep the night before one of the trials, received an unrelated phone call that morning, read a newspaper article that morning that was different from one he had read before the previous lesson, or any other minor difference in preparation, his behavior should have been different than it was during the previous trial. In fact, even disregarding differences in the instructor's preparation, if Harry was thinking something different, which he was, the results should have been different because the instructor would have gotten a different reading from Harry's mind.
Sethonan chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
I'd like to commend the writer in fabricating a chapter without the "gimmick" of the series, or at least reduced to a minimum; that is far more compelling and humane than anything the original author could ever produce.

I feel the original relationship between Potter and Snape was managed wrong even tough Severus character is very well developed during the series.

Kudos and keep up the good work, if when you finish this you oculd release it as an e-book, I think most of us would greatly appreciate it.
Guest chapter 27 . 6/26/2010
Okay, so Lily was shallow, but you can't tell me that Snape wasn't at least equally as shallow. Why was he pursuing the beautiful, shallow girl all this time, refusing to see her personality clearly, instead of a less shallow, but less beautiful girl?
Dugleik chapter 2 . 6/26/2010
I have to stop reading now. I'll continue when my parents aren't at home and come ask me why I'm laughing so hard and trying to read over my shoulder.
23,753 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,247 1,254 1,255 1,256 1257 1,258 1,259 1,260 1,267 .. Last Next »