Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Draeconin chapter 3 . 7/27/2011
While chapter two was very funny, the Flubber, DnD silverware and ejection seats in this chapter just sounded a jarring note, for me. It was out of place. I did like the scene with McGonagall telling Harry his parents' history, though.
Casanaria chapter 71 . 7/27/2011
After reading LessWrong comments, I was amazed b/c I've never seen people admitting they were mistaken so easily.

Now I realize that debates can turn into rants. That's why intelligent people have to learn how to lose.

Admit it: "Ok, I'm wrong."

You may not agree with everything the other person says, but they said something correctly. Besides, you should know your fights.
This Charade chapter 45 . 7/26/2011
This chapter was absolutely incredible. I think the tone did wonders in matching the contents, going from empty to calm to magnificent. And the ideas, too, were wonderful. I'll have to think about this more as I keep reading for it to really sink in. But amazing job on this one.
Julia Wise chapter 6 . 7/26/2011
As a social work student who just finished a year working with eleven-year-olds, I have to say, McGonagall's characterization of abused children in this chapter is off. An abused child might well be chatty and charming - it's a typical sign of attachment disorders (which wouldn't be surprising in Harry, who switched families at 15 months). Some kids whose parents took care of them badly are always shopping for new parents.

Him wanting a first aid kit to heal other children after disasters would make me suspect that he's used to caring for other people (younger siblings or incapable parents). Since he has no siblings and his parents seem high-functioning, I would think he's just a weird kid.

Also, she should not have bought Harry's argument that some "recovered" memories have been shown to be false, therefore he couldn't possibly be repressing memories. There's actually pretty good evidence 10-15% of people repress traumatic memories.
Bonehammer chapter 4 . 7/26/2011
Hello,

I just started reading. I'm still not sure whether I like this version of Harry, but your story already seems worth reading for the subtle humour and the tidbits of information disseminated within the text. Browsing the titles of the upcoming chapters brought up even higher expectations. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed.
BlueMew24 chapter 5 . 7/26/2011
This chapter is awsome. I was crying I laughed so hard.
Kali Ravel chapter 5 . 7/26/2011
I just choked with laughter.

Well done sir!
lknots chapter 72 . 7/26/2011
I'm so glad I found this story! Looking forward to the next update, thank you for writing!
Triangular Reasoning chapter 70 . 7/26/2011
Wait, Tonks was in Hogwart? Wow, so if HP is only six years younger than her, she'd be 23ish at the second wizarding war. Dayum, Lupin... that is just... impressive.
Sayu Blishtoka chapter 11 . 7/25/2011
I would absolutly love to read a story where harry becomes headmaster at 11. Lol. This story practically has me rolling on the floor. :)
Casanaria chapter 72 . 7/25/2011
I love this story for many reasons, which surprising to me because the original HP was not really that interesting and I hate HP fanfics (that aren't crossovers - those can sometimes be interesting).

It's funny - I loved the 3-way wedding idea chapters back - and intellectual on numerous levels.

I wonder what you think about Daniel Quinn's Ishmael? His views seem the opposite of yours.

Thank you for teaching us rationality in such an interesting way.

I connected to Harry on many levels - I also spend most of my time reading, outwitted all of my peers, etc. I wish, however, that I could have had a teacher as intelligent as Quirell. Someone who wasn't regurgitating textbooks. Someone who could actually teach me something nobody else could.

As a cancer researcher myself I loved all the science and math you brought along into your story.

I don't know why you are not a PhD yet - getting a Rhodes would have given you a stipend for it, you know?

I look forward to reading any books/textbooks you may publish...(which you should do, b/c though it is nice to think all day, you need to profit somehow!)

PS, I agree with your thoughts about death. I'm pretty sure you turned people away from their BS (belief systems)...

But, how on earth did you survive in America without going to high-school? Your parents invented an ingenious plot for you to remain home-schooled? I'm jealous.
un4getabl3mem0ries chapter 24 . 7/25/2011
I liked your Death Note reference (: Like one reviewer said, it would be brilliant if you wrote a DN fic someday.
Incog chapter 20 . 7/25/2011
"Anti-Dark-Lord-Harry program, 1 point didn't begin to cover it. Harry wondered what the Sorting Hat would say now, if he could put it on his head"

Oh wow, the burning irony of this line, it burns.
sydg813 chapter 11 . 7/25/2011
Oh my god, that was amazing. SO MUCH LAUGHTER.
sydg813 chapter 10 . 7/25/2011
I laughed SO HARD at the end of that chapter. Really. "SLYTHERIN!" "Just kidding, RAVENCLAW!" Oh Sorty, I love you!
32,146 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,251 1,258 1,259 1,260 1261 1,262 1,263 1,264 1,271 .. Last Next »