Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Kharanax chapter 69 . 2/17/2011
A truly excellent read. The characters grow in some directions, while maintaining flaws. Best of all, most of the are smart.
Nick chapter 69 . 2/17/2011
Hope all is going alright. Haven't seen an update in a while :(

Also, how did the conference go?
malimed chapter 69 . 2/17/2011
dumbledore fails. as do i because i JUST REALIZED that the nagging thing that's been bothering me since i started reading this story is that the whole "fake-battles-between-armies-of-children" thing is like ENDER'S GAME! and the thing that made me realize it was quirrel's insistence that the game has gotten too easy for harry, so it's time to change the rules! and for some reason this is so exciting that it requires a million exclamation points!

seriously, though, mcgonagall should just euthanize albus in his sleep. *shakes head sadly*
Jack Blanchard chapter 69 . 2/17/2011
Again, would be great if it weren't for the choking feminism. Hermione seriously considers not being Harry's friend because he's smarter than her? And now that she stopped children from bullying one another, she's now a hero? Quite ludicrous, I might say.
Stume chapter 7 . 2/17/2011
I've read to about chapter 20 and decided to read it all again as i logged on and there were over 60 chapters, i am loving seeing all the humour again, especially the robe shop, but i only just noticed that last time i missed that when you talk about the Incident at the potions shop you spell "incident" with a capital "I" as though it is a major event, which cracked me up when i read it, the subtle humour is great, and the in your face humour even better, love your story.
Potato Monarch chapter 64 . 2/17/2011
The note at the top of this chapter... is very, very helpful.

Oh, and this fanfic's really good, and the plot is quite interesting.

...I'm not quite sure what's happened to Harry's Mysterious Dark Side, though.

It seemed very prominent at the start, then at one point almost vanished, for no real reason.
LeadAcid chapter 69 . 2/16/2011
I really love the story, please keep up the good work! Not only is the story interesting, the characters are well developed, and the writing is consistently top-notch. Well done!
Jeremy chapter 11 . 2/16/2011
This chapter is the most hilarious thing I've ever read.
ejhawman chapter 68 . 2/16/2011
Hermione not feeling nice OR good. Haven't been reading Wordhammer, have you? Good is not the same thing as nice, but at least she already knows the difference.

Quirrell properly explains her failure. This early in her magic career, there will be many failures, even as talented as she is; her aptitude only goes so far, but it should mean she should learn quickly and not make the same mistake twice. She might already be getting the idea that she should spend the sumer familiarizing herself with Harry's body of knowledge.

Quirrell declares Harry to be too powerful a force in himself, and not needing so many soldiers. Some battles are not won by numbers, so he still has a chance to pwn the others. But maybe Quirrell should be considering moving Harry up through the years - have him join the second years, then the third, etc.

Harry gets angry when Quirrell presumes he was holding back. Often that way with children, adults can be quick to apply shame or guilt or generally be hard on kids without properly finding out everything going on in the child's hear. Quirrell is not perfect. Voldy, OTOH, shouldn't have a clue...

Endless Stair enchant - you may be making the wrong presumption here on what it looks like. Probably JKR wasn't fully thinking it through when she described it as a merely revolving spiral; I took it to mean a spiral escalator effect, with the stairs both rotating and elevating.

Hermione consults with McG rather than Flitwick. She needs a mother figure to look up to - but would she bond quicker with McG, the stern authoritarian, than with Sprout? If she's going outside her house, does it matter?

They consult Dumbledore, who has much to say about heroes - it being his particular field of experience. Good point that heroes are supposed to have HARD lives, that those who look up to them are much more comfortable being around them, depending on them, than the heroes are in navigating their situations.

Not sure a cliffhanger was necessary at this point -
InsaneTwist chapter 69 . 2/16/2011
I just want you to know that this is BY FAR the best piece of fanfiction I've ever read. You took sturgeon's law and kicked it's ass, and I'm telling everyone I know about this. Thank you so much for writing it, it's fun and educational.

Eagerly looking forward to the next update,

insanetwist
Tangerine-Alert chapter 48 . 2/16/2011
Fantastic work.

I'm reminded of Babe (the movie with the talking sheep and pigs), and in that not all sheep can talk, but after Babe learns the magic words to speak, then they can talk and then are somewhat intelligent.
ButterSnickety BaybeBum chapter 11 . 2/15/2011
Oh, this was great. I don't even know exactly how you do it, but you have a gift, and I love your style.
ButterSnickety BaybeBum chapter 5 . 2/15/2011
You had me laughing so hard near the end of this chapter I was crying. I loved this chapter. Oh, and reading terms I learned from social psychology in a fan fiction was fun as well. Thank you.
ButterSnickety BaybeBum chapter 2 . 2/15/2011
I already know I am going to love your story. You have given me so much to think about, for one, and second, I haven't read a single story like this one. Your Harry Potter fanfiction is patently amusing and I thank you. Kudos to you.
dhrachth chapter 69 . 2/15/2011
I somehow managed to completely miss this fic up until two days ago. Then I read the first half when I should have been sleeping and the second half when I should have been working-fortunately I've been doing my job long enough I can manage it on auto-pilot without anyone noticing.

You've got one of those rare fics that is actually funny.

Also, three cheers for logic. Reading the actual HP books, my personal canon is that magic comes at the price of brain damage which is the only plausible explanation I could come up with for the rampant stupidity.

And lots of points for the actually changing things. So many fics follow the books point by point, which makes one wonder what the point of writing a fanfic is if you're not going to change things.

My one quibble, and this may just be me and my personal educational background, but I often find Harry's analogies more confusing than the actual thing he's trying to explain. Granted, a lot of those things I'm previously familiar with and am perhaps overestimating their accessibility. However, I do think there's a lot of really dense paragraphs that are kind of hard to absorb. That's fine for scenes where Harry's audience isn't supposed to be following, just going along. Where it's intended to really clarify, I'd suggest breaking the explanations down into more easily digestible chunks with some back and forth, perhaps Socratic method, type dialogue. Or at least read the explanation out loud to yourself to check clear pronoun usage and not too many run on sentences.
30,087 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,251 1,258 1,259 1,260 1261 1,262 1,263 1,264 1,271 .. Last Next »