Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
A chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
When did Harry start not worshiping Quirrel?

Also, "It cannot have been easy to create a creature with a lifespan of centuries." :D

wiki/Basilisk
Lady of the Hunt chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
Argh! Stoppin mid-sentence, what are, the Sopranos? ARGH! BLARGH!
wildchartermage chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
Haha, aren't you such a genius to be able to write this fanfiction? :P

Why don't you come up to MIT for a day and let all of us MoR fans meet and discuss with you? ;) ;) ;)

Btw, that's a first such cliff-hanger you've done in this chapter. :)
LunaSlashSea chapter 27 . 10/7/2010
Excellent chapter. Love the reference to Babylon 5.
Karsus chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
This version of Quirrel/Voldemort is growing on me. This dude seems to have grown up and deserves to get a new body
w chapter 5 . 10/7/2010
An interesting question how to get as large exposure as this deserves. More celebrity endorsements wouldn't hurt, for sure, but how to get them, eh. How about a free app with full text for people's phones - there are apps for other books, so why not for this one.

Good things:

Rowling Rays.

Self-stolen, auto-thieved. Though isn't formally everything a 18-old owns their legal guardians'?

Doubting being Harry Potter.

I do want to know the experiments. This fan-fic lacks references.

Draco and Harry, how nice. Swoon oops. Capper. Why is Draco so mean though? Too much choking on the shop assistants' side. The resolution a bit too much, but still altogether an excellent scene, and funny too. Harry _is_ a bit too impudent wrt. McGonagall in the last sentence.
Phoenix Flight chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
Yeah, the whole Chamber of Secrets thing didn't make that much sense in the first place, did it?

Funny how you sometimes forget to ask the most basic questions about motivation - like, 'what good or benefit did setting a big snake on the student do for Tom Riddle either time?'
Loonynamelass chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
Strange cliffhanger
lilyoftheval5 chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
There are hardly words to convey my delight with this chapter.

I will point out that I loved how Harry used one of his professor's swears.
callalili chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
There are a lot of things that I disagree with in this story, rationality-wise and not plot/characterization/world-building wise (and lots of things that I agree with too), and overall I have learned some stuff, and thought about some other stuff, and it has been an interesting journey into Harry's mind and a very thorough exploration of how a rationalist thinks.

But personally? I don't think fanfiction is (or should be, anyway) a Public Service in the way that you have described MoR to be. I've always thought of fiction as just that-a vehicle for a story, and the story always takes precedence, and learning anything actually useful or factual or whatever is just an incidental benefit. So I will not be telling my friends to read MoR because they will Learn Things About Rationality; it would feel way too preachy.

On the other hand, I HAVE been telling all my friends to read MoR because it is well written and fantastically enjoyable. I love how you've expanded on Rowling's world; I love how you've tested magic in a way that I always wanted to see tested; I love how everything Makes Sense and the plot has been reforged into something sleeker, more fast-paced, and tons more intelligent. Seriously, I have been pimping this fic to everyone I know. At least four of my friends have really gotten into it. So, that said, I think you should be advertising MoR on the strength of its premise-like, tell everyone to blog about it because it is unique and intelligent and enjoyable, and presents a side of the HR universe unexplored in canon, etc, etc, etc. It's a good story, is my point. Being a good story is what makes it worth reading and talking about to other people. The rationality and science is just part of why it is a good story, and not the main reason why this story should be read.

I guess that is a more fanfic-y centered way to look at this? I hope that helps. I will definitely be suggesting MoR on some hp rec sites.
Vaughn Tyler chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
nice
LunaSlashSea chapter 26 . 10/7/2010
Excellent chapter
Dur'id the Druid chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
As usual, great story. Guess we're not going to get an answer to the question of 'Did killing the hat enable Harry to see thestrals?' now... or did I miss when he was taken by the carriage and didn't see the theastrals? Going to have to look.

Are you going to include the Mirror of Ersiad (sp?) in this story. It would be interesting if Harry muttered "So it works like a Dementor or the sorting hat then" where ... well anyone can hear. Dumbledore, Draco, Quirralmort or Hermoine. Any of them would have interesting reactions to that!

It's amazing how complicated your making your world, yet it doesn't contradict itself. A hallmark of a good story I think.
Erezxm chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
Amazing , the interaction is breath taking
Luiz4200 chapter 49 . 10/7/2010
I never thought about Salazar using the basilisk to pass information.
26,601 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,252 1,259 1,260 1,261 1262 1,263 1,264 1,265 1,272 .. Last Next »