Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
storybookknight chapter 71 . 4/12/2011
Rianne Felthorne is probably my favorite OC/Cameo character anywhere. Just the idea of someone having a weird twisted crush on Snape is hilariously awkward.

Also, I love this fic!
Spiny Norman chapter 39 . 4/12/2011
Immortality? Is that wise, demographically speaking? Did Harry P.V.E. never read Malthus' essay on the Principles of Population? The consequences if no-one would die but people would continue to have children!

The means of subsistence (primarily food) would have to keep increasing at the same rate. Else there would be more people than could be fed, which would lead to the Malthusian Positive Checks: war, famine, disease, basically everything that kills you or makes it more likely that you die. The alternative is the preventive check: not having as many children as possible, but keeping the population small on purpose.

Soon there will be 7 billion humans on this planet, all in need of food, water, electricity, oil - even if every country adopts China's 1-child-policy, it is still everyone's DUTY to die.

Note 1. If it turns out that house elves can simply magic food and clean water out of thin air, forget everything I just said. Eventually we would run out of physical space but by then we could hopefully move into space.

Note 2. The man who thought this up, just over 200 years ago, was a genius. Without Malthus there would be no Darwin.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 11 . 4/12/2011
Giggles and giggles and giggles. I laughed til I cried through all of this, particularly the last one. Giggles! And I'm getting loopy from lack of sleep - damn you, excellent story, and making me feel that I must review all chapters because dammit you deserve it. I will finish notes of encouragement and happy praise tomorrow, right now I must sleep.

Story is of Awesome. *nod*
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 10 . 4/12/2011
Oh the poor, poor Sorting Hat. Nice to see Harry getting a taste of his own brain, magic-style. Running out of superlatives. Giggled. Loved it. Ravenclaw it is!
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 9 . 4/12/2011
FFN review system is being dumb. But, in the last chapter (in case review didn't go through), fully enjoyed Hermione and Harry's getting to know each other - perfect :)

For this chapter, ahh, Ghostbusters :D I don't know what the other reviews said about songfics, but it fit in the story and felt very Order of Chaos-y. Poor Harry has no idea what effect this is having on Snape, doesn't even know to look for it, poor dear. And of course Harry would spurt things at the hat immediately :D
Spiny Norman chapter 22 . 4/12/2011
Alternative hypothesis: magic is not in decline. People idealize the past because of romantic notions that have no basis in fact. Chapter 6: "(...) people invent new Charms and Potions every year."

People ALWAYS think things were better in the past (the past being not so much a foreign country as grass on the neighbour's side of the fence). Sixty years ago, the vile rock n roll music from the grammophone records was supposed to corrupt the youngsters and bring about the end of civilization. No doubt, 200 years ago, there was some other reason why the past was bright and the future grim (although I am not sure what it was at that time). All the way back to the Roman Empire, when it was said that the Golden, Silver and Bronze Age had already passed, and people were living in the Iron Age. (Archaeologically speaking, they were, of course, but that is coincidence.)

On the other hand, muggle social historians HAVE written books about the Entzauberung, the decline of magic in the world, how things became more rational (no pun intended) from the 17th century onwards. But being muggles they couldn't know. Hypothesis: these muggle theories about magic vanishing illustrate the separation of mankind into muggle and wizard societies.

I'm a historian, so I am entitled to tell everyone in a condescending way that they simply don't appreciate the unique individual circumstances of whatever they are talking about, and that everything we say is an intersubjective interpretation at best.
TehWarsmith chapter 18 . 4/12/2011
I was brought here by TVtropes.

I'm currently 18 chapters in, and I still have no idea what I'm reading. I don't know how to describe this story. I thought I did at one point but I've been thoroughly proven wrong, so I'll just recommend it to everyone I know and tell them that it's fantastic.

I can say that this is the single greatest fanfiction I've ever read. This isn't just a story, it's an idea, a huge and amazing and wonderful idea, and we all know what you can't do to ideas. And such fanciful language aside, your characterization is superb, your descriptions are simple and elegant, and your prose is as good or better than any published fiction author I've ever read. This is one of those stories that makes me wish fan fiction could just be published so that I could read this in hardcover everywhere I go.

I can say little more until I get farther in the story, other than that I'm incredibly impressed with what you've done with Draco, but I would like to share an anecdote.

When I first started reading the story, I kept remembering the one negative review of MoR on TVtropes - the one that found Harry insufferable and unrealistic, and I wanted to respond to that by saying, "I agree wholeheartedly, and I love it." I decided I would just assume that Harry was Artemis Fowl and probably enjoy the story even more.

Then I got a little farther and realized that he was acting extremely similar to a friend's character who a humongous nerd, and thinks purely rationally while having to deal with magic on a daily basis, and I decided to proceed under the assumption that Harry was, in fact, Andre Nelson if he was born in Britain.

This happened a number of times, and is still happening.

Defining things by other things is a habit of mine, because I think it's funny and because it often makes explaining the many strange things I like to other people. But as I was reading Chapter 18, watching Harry hold three incredibly powerful people who don't take shit from anyone totally spellbound, I was feeling rather similar to McGonagall. "What... who ... how is he doing this? Who is this kid?" I thought.

And then I remembered your philosophy of fanfiction, the one you describe in your profile.

Creativity means creating a good, original work.

And I realized, this boy I've been trying to quantify is not Artemis Fowl, he's not Andre Nelson, he's not the Joker or whoever else I've been trying to describe him as.

He's not even Harry Potter.

He is someone new, someone completely and totally new, who will never be reproduced. The phrase "original character" is a dirty word in fanfiction these days, but that is what Harry is. He's Original. Creating something truly original is very difficult. Creating something truly original in fanfiction is an amazing achievement, and as a writer I congratulate you on it. As a reader, I thank you for writing this, and look forward to reading further.

-David Kligman, TehWarsmith
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 8 . 4/12/2011
*giggles* Draco and Harry. Not in any, ahh, slashy way, but quickly becoming one of my favorite parts of a great read. I love their exchanges, absolutely love them. Poor Ron... ahh well.

And the Order of the Chaos. Oh heavens :D
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 7 . 4/12/2011

And the Order of the Chaos. Oh heavens :D
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 6 . 4/12/2011
Lots of excellent insight into Harry's character here, who he is, what he's like, how he reacts and explores things, his thought process. Not even that, that sounds boring, just... him. Insight into this Harry creature you've created. Necessary and entertaining at once - always tricky to do, well executed here. Onward!
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 5 . 4/12/2011
I was in stitches throughout Draco and Harry's exchange. How Madame Malkin managed to maintain her moxie is most mind-boggling. I think I may have sore abdominal muscles from laughing so hard throughout this story, this chapter being just one part of that. SpectacularSpectacular!
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 4 . 4/12/2011
Oh, Harry, Harry, you clever boy :D Love every piece of this. I adore Harry, I love... everything you've done here. I'm gushing. It has a good purpose though. I shall gush upon this chapter and every chapter so long as there are chapters to gush upon.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 3 . 4/12/2011
Minerva's a bit snippy with the *genetic parents* bit, but one can hardly blame her. And very, very nicely done - just when we've been going along thinking of Harry as Spock, you show his emotions, make him feel, make him cry, show us that he's human (or is he).

Of course, as far as I'm concerned, every bit of this story is very nicely done :)
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 2 . 4/12/2011
*snicker* I think The Anecdote about Harry biting the teacher is my favorite part of this chapter... that, or perhaps 'huh' and 'huh'. Giggles all around. Though I do wish Harry's adoptive last name was somewhat less of a mouthful, but that's a minute complaint in an epically awesome story.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 1 . 4/12/2011
I've read all of what's currently up, and I strongly feel that every chapter of this story deserves a review - if nothing else, in tribute and offering to the author, because if we can't bribe you with reviews, how else can we convince you to keep writing?

Obvious, I know, but it's three in the morning and I don't have the brainpower for subtlety.

The only thing I wish, truly wish, is that you could publish this.

It's hilarious, intelligent, well-written, entertaining, engaging... for heaven's sake, the Slytherins are actually cunning. Rowling didn't even manage that - not to this level, not close.

It feels truthful, as the best fiction does. It's just...

Fantastic. I don't have words right now. A thousand internets to you, Less Wrong, and may all the sundried glory of a thousand different worlds shine upon you forever.
31,010 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,256 1,263 1,264 1,265 1266 1,267 1,268 1,269 1,276 .. Last Next »