Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Horror chapter 16 . 6/17/2010
Add that to your genre instead of humor, really. I am scared as hell of you. I have read bdsm rape scenes less frightening than this. No offence, this is a great story and extremely well written but right now I just want to run away and attempt to *obliviate* myself. Or commit suicide. Has anyone told you that you are the most genuinely scariest person they have ever met? I've read full-on published horror novels and seen sensational horror movies with less creativity than this. I shall now try to suppress my memories as I stand in awe of this fic.
ReaderMike chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
OH my god he did not just kill Rita Skeeter! That's like having Lord of the Rings with no Gollum!
12345 chapter 5 . 6/17/2010
OMG this was freakin hilarious i was laughing for 5 minutes straight by the end hope to read more
Peregrinate chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
Oo la la la. ) Brilliantly done, as ever and always.
riayi chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
Oh, my, god... Lord Voldemort has crushed Rita Skeeter even after her reputation had been crushed, and the author also railroaded the readers into believing Voldie was handing the Riddle diary to Harry... which might still be a possibility seeing how it's enchanted to be (at least) fireproof... but anyway, the way Harry investigates magic one or two chapters back makes so much sense, it manages to make sense of the magic in Harry Potter, and let's face it, it's a children's book, not meant to make sense. There are the evil not-parents that mistreat the hero and then he discovers he's really a very special wizard, and he makes things levitate by sayin wingardium leviosa... It only seems likely for magic to work that way if the words are only codewords that cause a particular, predetermined effect, to happen, like a computer responding to commands without them needing to mean anything (or have any power) by themselves. Atlanteans (if they are the culprits) might have harnessed a natural (perhaps unknown now) force and turned it into a device that monitors the world for appropriate users and executes commands, or used a mundane energy source to power a device like it.
Mirrorfaced chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
"... absolutely amusing, witty, hilarious..." -Some Critic
comelovesleep chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
I have to admit that the idea of Voldemort enjoying a slow lunch in the Place is one I find very unsettling.
Dragon Man 180 chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
Very interesting story. I have to say the crazy headmaster bits are most amusing, as is every time Harry starts building up a chain or reasoning and making everyone look stupid. I can't wait to see how Quirrell fares in this, but he's much cooler than the original.
Jaxtopher chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
I knew that ending was coming the moment you threw Quirrel and Skeeter into the same room together. There is no way Voldamort would allow any other possible conclusion. It fits him perfectly. That said, this did not make the ending any less brutal or horrible, it was still a bit of a sharp shock to read.

Excellent chapter of the fic, I really have to wonder about exactly how it was done.
Peer Infinity chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
In chapter 26:

"Professor Quirrell held up a cautioning finger, then took out his wand again, locked the door again, and repeated three of the same Charms from earlier."

The wording is ambiguous. Did you mean to say that Professor Quirrell cast only three Charms, and that all of them were the same as a Charm from earlier? Or did you mean to say that Professor Quirrell cast more than three Charms, but only three of them were the same as a Charm from earlier?

This ambiguity is relevant to what I suspect is a major plot point.
Kitty Smith chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
Bye bye Rita... :( She shall be missed... Sort of. I love the depth of character Harry has, especially his little conversations with himself divided into four houses... I do that a lot... . But, anyway, Quirdemort is actually having FUN mentoring Harry, isn't he? :)

Love the story, love the characters, love the use of rationalism- and I read that article about the invisible dragon, you totally stole that explanation- I really can't think of any constructive criticism to give you except to keep doing what you're doing... I hope you update as soon as is convenient! :D
Jalen Strix chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
This is absolutely brilliant - my Bayesian heart has sighed with pleasure and danced with glee after being directed your story. I'm so looking forward to the next chapter!
Shally-wa chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
So you couldn't even reverse scry, whether by location or person? You couldn't follow a person, and when they vanished, assume they had gone to Mary's Room and were up to no good? Or search for one person at every possible location and when they are not found, assume the same? Damn, that's better than a privacy shield!

Quirrell is significantly eviler in this one. Which, given what we know about Quirrell, makes a good deal of sense. And 6th years messing around with Sectumsempra! This story is awesome.

Poor Rita, though.
PenguinPenguinMushroom chapter 26 . 6/17/2010
"Professor Quirrell," said Harry gravely, "all the Muggle-raised students in Hogwarts need a safety lecture in which they are told the things so ridiculously obvious that no wizardborn would ever think to mention them..."

"I suppose you are right," Professor Quirrell said with a resigned smile. "I shall design a lecture to ensure that Muggleborns who are too stupid to live do not take anyone valuable with them as they depart."

Nice subtlety with "Muggle-raised" vs "Muggleborns". The first would include Harry (and anyone else in his situation), the latter would not.
Plumbum chapter 16 . 6/17/2010
Wonderful.
23,758 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,256 1,263 1,264 1,265 1266 1,267 1,268 1,269 1,276 .. Last Next »