Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
firedraygon chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Hermione! I'm really happy for this chapter, to let her grow a bit more as her own character. Fantastic work. Please write more soon!

fd97
Rosa Mundi chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Yes. I like the idea of heroic Hermione and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Work Designer chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Loved the self actualisation series and this update was profound. Gives a real sense of how well-rounded people live in a fictional universe in the midst of legendary threats.

Wait a minute, you're seeking to save the world in the real world, too. Wow! I never actually thought about it this way. Thanks, Eliezer, for sharing your heart's feelings, or an extremely good simulation of the same. I wish Harry well in his quest, but almost infinitely more, wish you the very best in your quest to prevent the annihilation of Goodness from our universe.
Last Alchemist chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Superb chapter. This well displays the stage of the emotional and intellectual journey Hermione has to go through at this point.

Eventually Hermione needs to understand that being a companion and helper to a hero like Harry does not necessarily preclude her becoming a hero in her own right. In LOR Samwise Gamgee appeared to superficial observers to be nothing more than a "sidekick" to Frodo. But he was more, he was a true friend, loyal and faithful and willing to commit himself whole-heartedly to honoring his promise to Gandalf look after Frodo. Toward the end of the story, though, what was revealed is that Sam truly was a hero too, maybe even a greater hero than Frodo. When Sam reached the lower level of the steps and found the elven bread that had landed there-obviously after Gollum had cast it down there, Frodo put aside the terrible hurt he had suffered when Frodo turned against him and ordered him to go home, and realized Frodo was in danger and needed help, and he charged back up the stairway. He fought off Shelob, he entered the tower where the Orcs had taken Frodo, and rescued Frodo. When Frodo proclaimed, "I may not be able to carry the ring-but I can carry you!" and picked up his friend and carried him up the slope of Mt. Doom, then Sam triumphed and showed his own true heroism.

Hermione need not be eclipsed by Harry, if she becomes a true friend and companion, a helper who is even willing to risk sacrificing herself.

The only thing is, Hermione needs to learn Harry's mission, that Voldemort is not really dead and gone, but that Harry will have to face him eventually. Like Frodo's quest with the ring, when Hermione learns the tremendous importance of Harry's quest-upon which depends the survival of the Wizarding World as a free community not tyrannized by evil-and the danger that he faces, she will see that both she and Harry have a higher calling to answer, a higher mission to follow, greater in importance than either or both of them. Then she will have no question that helping Harry as his friend and faithful, loyal companion is the ultimate "right thing" for her to do.
atymer chapter 5 . 1/24/2011
"wheezing against the wall," is the least of my problems now!ROTFLOL hysteria, no breath, gasp gasp gasp...

ROTFLOL!
FaeBreeze chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Oooh, exciting! Fantastically written as always, keep up the good work!
Lady Hamlet chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Hmmm, I wonder if this is good or bad. I do find Hermione the most easy character in your story to relate to, though. Who doesn't want to be a hero?
atymer chapter 2 . 1/24/2011
I just got here and I'm already in tears. ROTFLOL!

Who woulda thunk I'd be outside howling with Petunia. LOL!
irdgad chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
interesting chapter... its refreshing to read of a Dumbledore who is willing to say things straight out... The twisted hints given in most stroies were getting to be very boring...

Very nice to see Hermione is not willing to just sit back and be a sidekick... very interested in seeing what she will take to be her quest...
T-TrainOrTurkeyT chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Have I mentioned recently how much I love your story? I learn something new with every chapter you write. I felt highly moved by the conversation about living up to what you're supposed to be, something I believe we all struggle with every day. I feel like that was quite a significant event in this chapter and can't wait to see what happens next, especially what Hermione will do...
Lila chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Hermione wears makeup?
OwlofNight chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Dont listen to the haters, this chapter was quite central and awesome :)

I liked Dracos line of thought

I loved Neville/Daphne interaction

I loved Hermiones train of thought and Dumbles train of thought as well.

Keep up the good work.
ten cent friend chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Even if she's a 12 year old, Hermione seems more than a mite hypocritical in her argument. She claims to want to be recognized by own efforts and not compared to Harry Potter, she claims she wants to be only Hermione,and she claims she is to be righteous and heroic.

At the same time, she feels that the only way she'll accept being a friend of a hero, is if she's a hero equivalent to that of her friend. Yet heroism and righteousness, I don't think, stems from the wants of the self. She's twelve, yes, but I see her as someone who is just a twelve year old and not anything else.

She wants to be renowned, she wants to be praised and she wants to rescue people and be the subject awe and admiration. She's not thinking about whether or not being Harry's friend would help Harry, she's thinking about how to be happy being Harry's friend.

It might just be me, but she's whiny as all hell.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I am impressed. The fear of /being something that belongs to something else/... that is universal, and yet it's appropriate that you've built this particular storyline around a girl character with the potential for being exceptional. Too often that is what happens with girls like Hermione- too often that is what is expected, and accepted, as a result in life for a girl like Hermione. To be an appropriate, almost equal but never quite actually equal partner to be a more powerful man.

It seems like all of your most compelling dialogue involves the Headmaster Dumbledore in some way. This and the epic Chapter 39 on pretending to be wise... although I think this may actually be better, depending on the context of what follows.

Oh, and more Draco, please! Draco's scenes so far comprise way too much freaking out over Harry's amazing feats and way too little of actually putting his people skills to use. Hermione and Draco's stories are starting to supersede Harry's in interest to me. By all means bring Harry's storyline back to vibrant life, but definitely keep building these other two.
jacobk chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I did not buy this chapter at all. It's not that long ago that Hermione was wiping the floor with Draco and Harry thanks to the Power of Teamwork. There's no reason other than authorial fiat to think that Harry's recent winning streak indicates permanent superiority-his most recent win was more of a rules hack than anything else. Good for him, he earned the win, but unless he can keep coming up with new ways to not-quite-break the rules it's not going to last forever.

The feeling I got from this chapter is that you nerfed Hermione compared to where she was earlier so that you could go through this whole self-doubt story arc. Coupled with the usual overdose on internal monologues it felt very forced.
29,805 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,260 1,267 1,268 1,269 1270 1,271 1,272 1,273 1,280 .. Last Next »