Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
LookingForChemistry chapter 51 . 8/19/2011
daaammmmmnnnn! this is too much of an AU for me to comprehend! nooooo noooo! what about Sirius?
LookingForChemistry chapter 42 . 8/19/2011
errr...what? is this a complete AU...or is everyone lying?
Orielwen chapter 72 . 8/19/2011
This is an utterly marvellous story. My favourite chapter was Chapter 5 right up until Chapter 47, and now I'm waiting to see how Draco is going to develop next. (Don't listen to all those people telling you to hurry up and write the next chapter: I have a sense it's about to start a new story arc and while I'd love to read more Right Now I'd rather it were done well than done quickly.)

I do wonder whether I shouldn't offer to translate this into British English, although I know I really don't have the time. It's always a slight jolt when I see American dialogue in the mouths of British people in Britain. It looks like you've done your best to avoid this, but some things have slipped through (a bathroom is a room with a bath in it, and a room with a row of toilet cubicles is 'the toilets'). It's also worth bearing in mind that Hogwarts is in Scotland, which is further north than you might think; in February the sun rises at 8am and sets at 4:30pm ( /aberdeen-days). On heavily overcast winter days it barely gets light at all. Just little things like this give me a momentary suspension-of-disbelief problem.

I do think that all the child characters, not just Harry, are written slightly older than we're told they are. I can't help thinking of the whole of Harry's year as being about fourteen, rather than eleven. Though I'm bearing in mind comments made about children maturing faster when they are given real challenges. I also assume and hope that the dismissiveness of cognitively sub-super people is Harry's and not the author's. I hope Harry learns to appreciate the viewpoints of people who don't think like him. At the moment he's being a trifle hypocritical, going on about the importance of every single human being while viewing the ones who aren't as bright as him as being not worth bothering with.

I have some ideas of what's going on, what Harry needs to do, and what Harry is actually going to do. I look forward to finding out how wrong I am!
AtrumMaximus chapter 72 . 8/19/2011
Uhh, I just read your entire story over the span of 3 days. And already I feel like I will be incapable of returning to ordinary mediocre fanfiction. This... Is intelligent entertainment! God how I have missed that. Reading this, one can actually claim to learn things, and personally this has certainly got some thoughts started in my head. I'll be sure to go to Less Wrong and read the sequences.

Can I ask how long till the next update? It's been a while I see, and since I'm quite addicted, I'm a bit eager to get the next part. MoR is so so wonderful...

Oh, and me being a dark!Harry fan, I certainly wouldn't mind him actually becoming the next dark lord. As long as it's not 'the dark side' that takes over - he has some good (and rational) ideas for improving the magical world. And with him growing older, the last few holes in his logic, and the possible mistakes made will be rectified (I hope) :D Go Harry!

And go you for beign so awesome.
LookingForChemistry chapter 38 . 8/18/2011
I understood absolutely nothing of this chapter. WHAT? what just happened? please explain!
TwentyTawnyTigers chapter 47 . 8/18/2011
You have completely spoiled me for any fanfiction -make that any book- for the rest of my life. Somehow that makes me happy. EXPECTO PATRONUM!
anonymous chapter 10 . 8/18/2011
When I first read the story I grew bored (mind you, I was a year younger.) Now that I have matured, I finally reaize what i have been missng out. This is a wonderful story, I am so glad that my mind is actually challenged by this piece of literature. And for that I thank you.
Steve chapter 72 . 8/18/2011
Great job, you've got me checking multiple times a week for the next installment. Thank you for the read.
Shintah chapter 72 . 8/18/2011
Great story so far, I even laughed out loud a few times. Hope you'll find time to continue writing!

Pelahnar chapter 5 . 8/17/2011
Harry Potter is paranoid? Or, perhaps it's not paranoia so much as the reasonable decision to accept all possibilities, however unlikely...

The scene with Draco was HILARIOUS! I don't really get how Harry got Draco to say that about Gryffindor - but, hey, it was funny!
Pelahnar chapter 4 . 8/17/2011
Ah, Harry. Almost no time spent in the wizarding world and already figured out how someone could get money from the system...not to mention making good use of extention charmed items...
Pelahnar chapter 3 . 8/17/2011 these magical instincts or feelings or whatever, perhaps come from the fact that he was raised in such a rational environment? Maybe the magical part of him knows that he won't accept it if it doesn't tell him he should? I know he didn't have these feelings in the books.

And also, didn't he perform accidental magic? A lot of the examples given in the books might've come from the Dursley's abuse, but surely he lost his temper occasionally, even without them - at not being given respect, if nothing else. Surely SOMEthings happen that neither he nor his father could explain rationally...?

I read on...
Pelahnar chapter 2 . 8/17/2011
What? If MY third grade teacher hadn't known what a logarithm was (and I, too, had known what it was to ask her) then I would've bitten her too!
Pelahnar chapter 1 . 8/17/2011
I like this. I think it's going to very interesting, yes.

And for the heck of it, I'll review every chapter, too, even if this already has more than enough reviews to justify not doing that. However, if almost 200 people (13,400 divided by 70, assuming everyone DID review every chapter, which I find unlikely) if these 200 readers found it necessary to review this story, then it is either really good or really bad. Considering how much I liked the first chapter, I'm leaning toward the first choice.

Listen to me! I sound scientific! Well, it fits with the fic.

I must read on...
LookingForChemistry chapter 28 . 8/17/2011
I seriously didn't get it. Is snape going to get evil now that he no longer loves...or does he still...? WHAT DOES HE SEE IN LILY?

what did aftermath 2 mean than? he was gahhhh
32,528 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,263 1,270 1,271 1,272 1273 1,274 1,275 1,276 1,283 .. Last Next »