Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
SylvanSpirit chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
oh wow. there goes rita :D and i am so confused. i fully expected it to be riddle's diary - unless it is, and quirrels just being manipulative. which brings me to the next point, quirrel is "possessed" by voldemort riight?
gwern chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
Well, you didn't just walk out on friends when they were feeling down.

You know, at first I was skeptical, but throughout this chapter, they do seem to be becoming genuine friends. A warped friendship though.

And that had been enough to cast the spell. "I do not understand how anything with that small a brain could walk upright."

Glad to see the digs at Rowling are getting subtler. Had to think for a moment to understand the reference.

"You are the scariest person I know," Harry said, "and one of the top reasons for that is your control. I simply can't imagine hearing that you'd hurt someone you had not made a deliberate decision to hurt."

Oh yes, there's some of that irony the author's note mentioned.

Harry had stood up, turned away, and rested his head against the wall.

I wonder if you aren't over-exaggerating the primitiveness of the wizarding world; doesn't Harry invest in Fred & George's jokeshop? That doesn't sound like a world with no concept of equity.

How can the old noble families maintain their wealth? Certainly they aren't farming immense ancient tracts of land.

"Miss Skeeter will flee and start her life over with a new name."

Oh the ironing!

Professor Quirrell held up a cautioning finger, then took out his wand again, locked the door again, and repeated three of the same Charms from earlier.

Originally, I was confused how Quirrell could have known or arranged for Skeeter to be there. The second time through, I noticed that Quirrell, after killing Skeeter, has omitted a charm. So apparently he simply lied to Harry when he implied that he hadn't checked for Animagi - one of the charms was just that.
Wolfric chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
trevalyan chapter 20 . 6/15/2010
This is a really outstanding bit of work. It takes Harry Potter in directions it never could have gone before, and I love three aspects in particular.

1) How science and economics add to the setting- and are hated just as passionately as the Dark Arts by some quarters. Dumbledore's prompt forgiveness of Quirrell after Harry's brief flirtation with hedge fund trading, Quirrell's own violent hatred of the supposed apex of Muggle physics are the best examples. Weapons as powerful as any magic, indeed. The author's outstanding grasp of diverse concepts and the scientific method are guaranteed to add things JK Rowling, God love her, could not focus on.

2) Ron and Hagrid aren't in this story, to any meaningful extent. Harry outright says Ron would have been an unnecessary wheel to this plot. I'm beginning to wonder exactly how necessary slow, loyal Ron was to Harry, neither of whom could hope to rival Hermione- though Tom Riddle certainly could.

At any rate, what some people could take as an offhand dismissal by the author could turn out to be a cornerstone. Will Harry -learn- the power of friendship, love, and magical creatures- or merely take the lessons to add into his potent brew of magical science.

3) I'm beginning to wonder who the Dark Lord is and who he is becoming. And how deeply Dumbledore believes the best of people. Two characters could either fall spectacularly, or have room for the most hopeful ending in any HP fanfiction.

"Because it's all right to just be Tom! It's all right to just be Harry! Otherwise we're just a Dark Lord and Chosen One staring at each other down the lengths of our wands and this will never END!"

Okay, I made a mistake, there's a fourth point that drew me here, but really isn't something about -your- writing that I love:

I) David Brin is reading your fanfic. And commenting very warmly on it. And now I can't FIND his comment review here. This is vexing indeed, because I know I saw it!
Loonynamelass chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
AAAAAGH! HE KILLED RITA SKEETER?

Also, loved Harry's internal-house-battle.

But, again- RITA SKEETER? She's abominable, but still! :'(
JoshuaZ chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
Amazing again. I can't wait to find out how the twins pulled that off. The last line comes across as a real shock.

I was expecting the diary to be Tom Riddle's diary but this sounds about as amazing.

Overall, another well done chapter.
what are you even saying chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
Oh, so Rita Skeeter will be safe, then, because she's a gaudy, ugly creature...Isn't she?

The Twins are true masters of their art. And so are you. How many of these rationalist anecdotes have you got? Or are you making them up as you go along? I honestly don't know which one I'd be more impressed with.
ejhawman chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
This one felt more like the early chapters. Plenty of humor, quick reasoning.

Good criticism of the sectumsempra incident from HBP; I've seen very few others address Harry's failing there. Of course, THIS Harry wouldn't be so stupid.

The behavior of the inkwell: a bit of misdirection? Sounded like a Horcrux, being destroyed by a very small cast of Fiendfyre, but there are other enchantments causing temporary sentience.

The fake rumor: supposed to be outrageous? Relative to the what the wizarding world knows, maybe. I'm jaded by seeing a lot of marriage law stories. The analysis of the rumor's likelihood: much like what I would have done. Quirrel's eventual deduction: Not unfair, he is reasonably intelligent and is in a position to guess what Harry has to work with.

The goblins not knowing about financial and economic instruments and concepts postdating the Statue of Secrecy, I could see. But the stuff mentioned here, particularly joint-stock companies, date from the middle ages. Your story, your call; but the books do not require goblin banking be so basic, and many good stories make the assumption they are a full-service bank.

Alas, poor Rita. Didn't even get as far as getting fired by Lucius. Too close to the truth. Gives ideas, though...

More misdirection with the diary: not Voldemort's own, but you had him make one different Horcrux, I wouldn't be surprised if all the others were as well. But now I have to see what you think Bacon would have found out about magic without a proper education.
Mac Ceallach chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
I loved the poke at the Sectusempra scene in HBP, and at the safety issues of the series in general. The 'torturing the inkpot' was an interesting touch. And your take on the twin-ness, and their motive for befriending Harry. I am currently dying of curiosity about the Twin's plan, and look forward to when that will be revealed however many chapters from now. And Quirrel just... just... damn. Allowed himself the pleasure of simply crushing her. After taunting her and deflecting Harry's suspicion for her upcoming disappearance on first herself and then Lucius Malfoy.

Those were my favorite parts from two fabulous chapters. Thank you!
burtikus chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
Test of awesomeness - passed. Kind of wrecked the distribution, actually. Love this story.
He Who Rules With an Iron Hoof chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
I wonder... Now that Harry has witnessed a human (in beetle form) get squashed, are thestrals still invisible? They should be, magic happens regardless of what you know, and even if he doesn't know she was killed, he still saw it. So he should see thestrals because he has seen death(unknowingly)
SaintPeter chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
"6th year Gryffindor attack 6th year Slytherin"

Could someone enlighten me to the reference? It's been a while since I've read the originals.

Also - Awesome, amazing story. I love it. Everytime I get an update I squee like a little girl and drop everything to read it. Keep up the good work.
ejhawman chapter 25 . 6/15/2010
Now Harry is starting to use his human resources properly. How long before he discovers Skeeter's Animagus form? Or before he accidentally gets her discovered/killed?

Nice change of pace, randomizing the narrative flow, but that trick is no longer novel.

Genetics was never my field; all the talk of how magical genetics might work is a bit dense, and I'm not as young as I used to be; it takes a while to get through. I suppose it would have been much simpler if Squibs were simply Muggles born to magical parents, rather than slightly magical enough to use Floo communication, see Dementors, etc. More of Rowling rushing ahead without figuring the implications. Can't really blame her for not having experts on genetics to advise her, I guess.
DarkHeart81 chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
I wonder what the fallout will be from the fake article about Harry. Or at least I'm assuming that that was the one that Fred and George came up with. I'm not sure if I'm glad that Skeeter is dead now or not. Almost seems too easy an end to her.
MisterQ chapter 26 . 6/15/2010
Truly Excellent! 'Just a fainting spell', indeed. If Quirrell is still hosting Voldemort, he is much, much, MUCH smarter than the 'there is not good or evil, just power...' one in canon. Even including the 'Harry as a Ravenclaw would need a different approach than a Griffindor Harry'; Mr. 'Just a battle wizard' Quirrell is getting a bit close to the hero.

I've seen goblins done many ways - one; where they are actually intelligent enough to run a 'bank' bank, and make profit from the disparity between the magical and muggle worlds. Where they put charms on the currency to prevent muggles from melting them down or even noticing the coins, and make note for possible future employment of any child that asks them about the whole selling galleons for their weight in gold to muggles and exchanging the cash back into galleons.

I've also seen them portrayed as cold-hearted mercenaries based on the betrayal in the last book. These goblins charge interest and fees for EVERYTHING, will steal your cash for almost any pretense, and cause misery via economic warfare since the other kind is currently forbidden to them. Wizards still bank with them because either most of them are ignorant sheeple and/or there is no other place in the wizard world to put your money with perceived 'safety'.

I wonder if Harry would figure out the source of magic. Is it Atlantis? Aliens? The Ascended? Goddess Hecate? Or Subjective Reality (where magic works the way it does because enough magical people believe that it does so their unconscious accidental magic makes it so)? Or is it something else? And what tests will Harry create to prove his hypotheses?

Can't wait to see where this story goes!
23,752 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,263 1,270 1,271 1,272 1273 1,274 1,275 1,276 1,283 .. Last Next »