Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
braindoll chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
So, who is Hat and Cloak?

It pretty much couldn't be Bellatrix, or Lucius, or Sirius, because "recognition sent a jolt of terrified adrenaline bursting through her". (She could of course have seen a wizard-photo of any of these, but I think that calling that "recognition" would be cheating on the author's part.) And also, any unauthorized people in Hogwarts would probably be detected by both Dumbledore and the Marauders.

I don't think any students would be strong enough to cast multiple memory charms and illusions without counting the cost.

So that leaves professors.

It doesn't seem like Dumbledore's style at all; because anyway he could gain her trust (or, for that matter, make her suspicious of some illusionary enemy) without needing memory charms. Same goes for McGonnagal and probably even Sprout.

I think that Quirrel wouldn't be quite so clumsy as to need so many cycles of memory wipes. I mean, even in the one cycle that we see fully, I think Quirrel would have been able to foresee her specific reaction. I'm not saying that he would necessarily trick her easily; just that at least his failures would be cleverer. And I don't see any motive for him to be idly exploring her parameter space. So he's out.

Which leaves, basically, just Snape. I don't like that idea, because it's too obvious, but I don't see how to avoid it.
RR chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
I love the turn this chapter has taken... but I fear that Harry won't properly handle the ethical issues this path will eventually raise.
Dee chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
Can't say I have any ideas about the figure - except the obvious suggestions of Quirrell or Snape or Voldemort making an appearance in some form (but that doesn't seem likely given his presumed lack of power in this period). I also haven't managed to guess what Quirrell's zombie mode is if it isn't related to Voldemort - unless he's actually dying and that's why he's trying so hard to help them prepare and why he took the cursed defense job. In this story the man's too clever to just throw his life away.

I agree with Harry in his discussion with Dumbledore - after all, all it takes for evil to suceed is for good to do nothing. The light should all stand up and fight and fix things once and for all. No just getting by or maintaining balances.

I really can't wait to see who the Hat turns out to be - probably not who we're all guessing :)

I'm also glad that the focus has shifted somewhat off Hermoine. I could live without her. I really like Harry's character in this story and prefer him as the main character.

Overall this is still a great story and I'm going to be anxiously awaiting the next installment.
WynnCharmer chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
Interesting. Just how many times was Hermione memory charmed?
Styx chapter 75 . 9/4/2011
Ow my sanity! :D
Megan McAlistair chapter 38 . 9/4/2011
"Bright the sun, bright the air, bright the students and bright their parents, clean the paved ground of Platform 9.75, the winter Sun hanging low in the sky at 9:45AM in the morning"

that is too perfect, who dies?

"before realizing that not being shocked could be just as revealing"

no Comed Tea?

"this is a weapon of deadly power, not I am feeble and leaning on this"

oh but you wouldn't take away an old man's staff, would you?

"and you cannot but expect me to be concerned!"

what a nice innocent concerned father, d'awwwww

"hence the false Mark I bear; though since I did not truly consent, it does not bind me"

what a tragic story, let us call it the Tragedy of Lucius

"There was a long pause, then"

...in which Lucius fought down the dreaded feeling that Harry thought he was old

later that day Narcissa comforted him, reassuring him that she'd get old long before him and that even now all the college girls secretly wanted him and... you know

"and vanished like a soap bubble."

you mean she is now splattered on the ground?

"I don't know, actually,"

neither do I, nothing was really said, except that Lucius was too old for Harry
Eshalar chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
I am still baffled by how Harry thinks that he can solve every problem, ever, if he just thinks hard enough about it.

There are certain limitations set in our universe, and breaking those limitations (as much as I like Gurren Lagann) wouldn't make it our universe anymore. But I feel that with this stance I will very easily fall into the trap of thinking that Status Quo is God, which I desperately try to avoid, because change is also a fundamental part of our universe, or else we wouldn't have Time.

Furthermore I must notice that scale also plays a very intricate role in human perception. Yes, in a billion years maybe the laws of our universe could change, but does that actually affect me? No. So until you come back to me with a solution for that dying thing I do not feel incined to think about those problems. Then again, shouldn't I be thinking up a solution for that, since it does actually affect me, even if I unconciously try not to think about it?

Argh!

I'm confused and my brain hurts, i'll be going to bed now.
Not-A-Spy chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
Obliviation is still a scary thing.
Megan McAlistair chapter 37 . 9/4/2011
"It was almost midnight."

always a good start, way more ominous and dangerous-sounding than twilight

I love double meanings, thanks Ron for giving this a third

"and the Defense Professor had gone"

it reminds me of a story, but I can't remember which

very cute though

if your story were a book then this would have been a oneshot by a dedicated fan, the description would have said: "...because while he'd never been young enough to believe in Santa Claus, he'd once been young enough to doubt." a little bit of fluff for Christmas Eve; NOT slash

and the fanfic would have started with: a present for my dear friend CurlyWizardly, I'm glad I got this finished in time
Megan McAlistair chapter 36 . 9/4/2011
"And nonmagical London, Muggle Earth"

forget that, it was 1991, they didn't even have iPhones back then

or proper internet for everyone, for all I know Elvis was still alive (since it was before my birth), and the German Reunion was only two years old, two years instead of twenty-two!

the CDU still held Baden-W├╝rttemberg in its iron grasp

the old Bush was still president(I had to look that one up)

"unless technology leapfrogged over wizardry's quality of life"

do sweeping robots count?

and that exoskeleton that Cyberdyne (not kidding, but you probably know them already) made to help disabled people walk again?

"that of course his parents had waited"

nothing is as warming and sweet as knowing that you're loved

"adult-looking half-illegible handwriting"

which is true, no adult's handwriting is readable

except mine, it looks like an ugly Elementary School scribble

perfectly readable, ugly and without any style

"and then the same bright voice said"

every time it's repeated it sounds more fake

"Harry can be a bit touchy about that sort of thing"

you know, not being taken for full

"Hey! No kissing!"

giving entirely the wrong suggestions

what would interest me: does Harry's father draw the wrong conclusions or does he know his son and the situation enough to at least consider other options?

"everything was just the way it should be"

the innocence of their children was safe
D chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
While I immediately realized the ghost was probably someone like Quirrel, I did not realize she was being repeatedly memory charmed until reading the comments. Though now it does seem quite obvious.

I also prefer the rewrite. When I read telling her she was the heir to Merlin I almost said out loud "That's so obviously a lie", that I would hope no one would even try to trick someone like Hermione with it.

Also it seems Harry needs a refresher lesson on how to lose.
StalkerAngel chapter 11 . 9/4/2011
HEADMASTER!
Poke-the-Jello chapter 1 . 9/4/2011
Ooh! I am very intrigued by the premise of this story and this AU so far seems to carry itself with a level of dignity and regard for reason. At least Petunia isn't being bashed mercilessly and it'll be great to see how things in Hogwarts are seen through a speculative scientific lens.
Megan McAlistair chapter 35 . 9/4/2011
"I said a good deal less than I wished to say"

if something lacks the entire context, it becomes easy to misunderstand

the key is not necessarily just unity, it's trust and maybe love

"the world's stupidest person may say the sun is shining, but that doesn't make it dark out"

no, you're wrong, like sugar, it's evil because Hitler ate sugar

he had a dog, too, and a wife, and he spoke German, ernsthaft

"they would be as transparently silly to you as Quidditch."

of course they're silly if there are only two serious parties and one newspaper

what if there were at least five (six if you count the right extremist party) different parties? and every newspaper criticized as much as they wanted, including the newspapers by the parties themselves, which always criticized all the other candidates so that by putting them in a blender you'd have a whole lot of paper dust?

"The point of elections isn't to produce the one best leader, it's to keep politicians scared enough of the voters that they don't go completely evil like dictators do -"

it's why there haven't been riots in the USA yet

"it is ridiculous to suggest that any of the Ministers of Magic elected during that period could have taken Dumbledore's place!"

why the hell does the leader have to be the champion/general?

wizard logic

"and figure out how to evacuate all the wizards to Mars or somewhere"

how about a grand scale Bubble-Head Charm? bit of sunscreen, Aguamenti, a few plants... done

"If all Britain took the Mark of a strong leader, they would be a peril to the whole magical world.

And if the whole wizarding world took a single Mark, they would be a danger to the rest of humanity."

what if that is Quirrel's plan?

"I said just what you told me to,"

I honestly suspected that, wow, I'm good

then again, Fresh Dumbledore would never do such a thing

"Actually Blaise would have betrayed all three generals for free, and never mind his cousin either, but he'd seen no need to say that."

If you're good at something never do it for free

except if you don't mind at the moment

the law can't make an exception for a good person, people can

"and nodded to Mr. Hat and Cloak"

if that was Harry he'd be a brilliant actor

but how likely is that...? what are the odds?

"content to be a quintuple agent"..."content to be a quadruple agent"

subtle but effective

you Sir know how to tell a good story

"Professor McGonagall might not have been warning her if she'd been a boy in Gryffindor"

yes, poor Rowling-Harry never got that warning

"So what did you wish the first time?"

I'm guessing he wanted Askaban to close

"I wish Professor Quirrell would teach Battle Magic again next year"

I was wrong, stupid curse
AngelForm chapter 76 . 9/4/2011
Scene one:

Let justice be done, let the heavens fall.

Scene two:

Same old, same old.

Scene three:

Exceedingly ominous.

Amazing what can be done with massed memory charms. Wonder how many times Mister Incredibly Suspicious Person had to reset the conversation.
33,398 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,263 1,270 1,271 1,272 1273 1,274 1,275 1,276 1,283 .. Last Next »