Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Hunter chapter 76 . 9/8/2011
Apropos of Dumbledore and Harry's discussion:

"What brings enlightenment is experience, in the sad sense of this word—the pressure of hard facts and unintelligible troubles, making a man rub his eyes in his waking dream, and put two and two together. Enlightenment is cold water."

— George Santayana

I'm glad MoR is back, anyway.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 77 . 9/8/2011
A sad and magnificent chapter.
iphis17 chapter 77 . 9/8/2011
Aww.

~Mademise Morte
sliced2 chapter 77 . 9/8/2011
Snape needs to get a life.

He's got a perfectly willing girl before him and he chooses not only to use her as his therapist, he lets her go with just a crappy kiss.

He's never kissed or had sex before and he chooses to talk to the girl instead of have sex? He's clearly stressed and the sex would relieve his tension.

What's more, no consequences! He was going to mind-wipe the kid and she was going to enjoy it even under that assumption. It was her fantasy to have sex with him. Plus it's likely she was on birth control pills or knew a spell to prevent conception. Seriously he should have just...

I'll stop here because I'm coming off as a jerk. The point is he had a big opportunity and he totally blew it off.

However I guess since he values his love for Lily so much, it makes sense that he wouldn't settle for anyone else. That's an elimination from the gene pool for being close-minded about love.
More Right chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
What an incredibly poignant chapter...

I wonder if it's entirely too sacrilegious of me to admit that I honestly prefer this over the original series...?
Jillian A.K chapter 75 . 9/7/2011
I have read up to ch. 77, but what I have to say is about this chapter. I don't know if you were heading intentionally in this direction or not, but here's what I thought at the end about why Dumbledore did nothing when Snape punished Hermione: He was trying to teach Hermione to break the rules. To put her in a psychological head space where she knows that rules are made by people, people are fallable, and rules can be fallable too. That if she is going to follow rules, they ought to be her own, and not anyone else's. Because she is going to be a player in the war, and she can't be held back by playing by the rules.

A little like Graff in Ender's Game, with what he did on the shuttle. Teaching her not to trust adults just because they are adults, but to rely on her own self, and what friends she is able to make among her fellow students.
GuesssWho chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Brilliant.
iphis17 chapter 76 . 9/7/2011
"And have you also spoken to Harry Potter, then?" Hermoine said, keeping her voice as even as she could. If this was his helpful ghost -

Typographical error?

~Mademise Morte
asukaphile chapter 76 . 9/7/2011
I really enjoyed the exchange between Harry and Dumbledore in this chapter, even if I also found it a bit frustrating. Harry's youthful idealism and arrogant self-assurance can be a bit grating. It's enough, sometimes, to make me wish for him to incur a real, serious loss. If Harry had a black chamber like Dumbledore's, there would not yet be even one pedestal in it. And while I agree that "You shouldn't be able to win any possible argument, just from people having died of your decisions," to me it feels like this scene's aim is to discredit Dumbledore's position - but I don't think Dumbledore is entirely wrong. Jaded, maybe; defeatist; wrong on the issue of bullying; but not entirely wrong. Nor do I think Harry, though idealistic and inexperienced, is entirely wrong.

I think both of them have a lot to learn from each other, but neither is going to be convinced in dialogue. Something dramatic will have to happen to temper Harry's idealistic recklessness, and something (maybe the same thing) will have to happen to elevate Dumbledore from his grief and despair. I very much look forward to this(these), whatever it(they) may be.

Also, I'm happy to see Hermione starting to get involved in something intriguing. I didn't really have a problem with the Self Actualization arc, except insofar as its events kept Harry and Hermione apart so much. It feels like they haven't done anything together in a long time. I hope this changes soon.

This is my first review, so in closing I'd like to make a few general comments. Your fanfic has rescued me singlehandedly from the disenchantment with JKR's original works that I first noticed somewhere around page 378 of "Deathly Hallows" (but had been growing quietly, I now realize, since the beginning of that book). This fic deserves to be published. It's entertaining, challenging (for a number of reasons), and - it's a little hard to figure out how to say this - it feels like it's as much a labor of love for the author as it is written to please its audience. It's not just a pet project. I think you have a good idea who your audience is.

My only problem with this fic is that there's not a new chapter every time I come back to check, which, to be fair, is usually every couple of hours, and that's much more "my problem" than a "problem with this fic". Thank you for writing this, and keep up the good work.
Cameron chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Great chapter - only just discovered the fic, and the sequences, and are finding both highly enjoyable.

God it's been a busy year. Still only about three months before the end of year 1 - if your planning to end the fic there not sure how your going to get everything straightened out.

Thanks for it
Beazore chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Great chapter, even if it's somewhat sick I very much want her to remember :(
ElektrikRage chapter 33 . 9/7/2011
Wow, Ender's Game reference! YES!
LoliPear the WaltzQueen chapter 16 . 9/7/2011
Harry probably will not learn the killing curse. When asked to shoot he shot himself here. Who is (besides you) to say if Ravenclaw!Harry and Slytherin!Harry will be ble to convince him to learn such a powerful thing, furthermore to cause death when he seeks to reject it and its existence completely.
Almaseti chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Dang. I mean, just... that was one of the most well-put-together chapters so far. Very subtle, very simple, but also really powerful. A really great illustration of why Snape was always such a tragic character. He seems sort of self-hating, and I can sort of see why he'd say yes to her, when she wouldn't remember but it was something that's usually considered so important. Kind of emotionally self-destructive, which does fit Snape well. He hasn't changed much in this AU from the books.

I sort of wish he could let her remember, even if that probably is a terrible idea all around.
Nakedkali chapter 77 . 9/7/2011
Call me slow. I didn't get the point of ch76 even though I didn't read it before you had edited it. However, now that I have read ch77 I was now able to piece together what you meant by Groundhog Day in the A/N for ch 76.

Since in this particular chapter Renaia Felthorne doesn't experience the same kind of reality jerk that Hermione does, it isn't immediately apparent to me and if the A/N wasn't there and I was reading the story from scratch I wouldn't get it still. I would have to first infer that perhaps Hermione is more sensitive to this kinda thing or that Snape is a better Ovliviator than whoever is getting Hermione.

We have seen (or think we have) some Oblifiation with Zabini, but it was a while ago. If you used the same words for Zabini's as we have seen for Hermione this is now lost on the reader.

I suggest, adding another obliviation (if this is what is happening, and not some sorta involuntary time turning) of Hermione to Chapter 77, or taking one of the already written ones over to chapter 77 to show that this was an ongoing thing.
33,595 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,265 1,272 1,273 1,274 1275 1,276 1,277 1,278 1,285 .. Last Next »