Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Zee chapter 8 . 1/28/2011
Sir, I am thus far thoroughly impressed by your interplay between characters and hilarious plot situations. An amazing work of fiction, which I fear will keep me up for the next few nights as I rush to catch up. Perhaps my impatience reflects poorly on my methodology as a student, but that is a separate matter.

Regardless, I am becoming increasingly interested in which books you have read, as you make mention of several throughout this fiction. Furthermore, while I do believe that it is possible to be a natural in the art of persuasion, I find it highly implausible that even a natural genius can explain the finer, more subtle points of this art without thorough reading. I kindly request that you share your book list on your profile, that perhaps many more people can become enlightened in this field than just myself.

Absolutely riveting story, I look foward to the following chapters.

~Zee
anony chapter 1 . 1/27/2011
This is the longest 1st year story I have ever read. Seriously, it's ridiculously long. Are you gonna do the rest of Harry's years at good ol' Hogwarts? 'Cause you are already getting to about 400k words. That's like 5 times as long as the actual first book! Good story, Cheers!
Ged chapter 68 . 1/27/2011
Oh Harry, remember what happened the last time you jumped to conclusions based on what Quirrel said?

As much as the wargames seem to be set up to make Harry strong in some areas they seem to be designed to reinforce selective blind-spots; get him thinking in a certain way about the abilities of other people.

“Why am I different?”

Would you trust the answer? That's one question.

Why do you think you are? Is, I think, the far more useful one.

If you're weak and lose a lot it's obvious and you start looking for ways to address it - but if you've found an answer, especially a flattering one, and are deprived of data that contradicts that answer...

In this chapter a lot of Quirrel's long term planning seems to be paying off.

Harry's being deprived of the chance to develop the talents of his most powerful allies. Not just in terms of the absence of their friendship with the knock-on effect on his emotional state, but in terms of the practice of working with them, the time to do so, the reflective input they might have provided to help each other get better.

The old adage that friends weaken and enemies strengthen overlooks a lot of subtleties. One needs both a creative and a testing aspect in order to grow. It's interesting that Harry doesn't seem to know *why* his thinking works sometimes and doesn't others.

Good chapter. Some characters aren't being very smart – but they're being believably thick, which is an incredibly rare thing in literature.

Thanks for the story, by the way.
TJeanetteT chapter 68 . 1/27/2011
Awesome chapter! Loved loved loved. Flash of gold? Timeturner?
AFM chapter 68 . 1/27/2011
I have to admit, your writing is captivating and thought provoking. As near as I can tell, you seem to be quite influenced by Orson Scott Card and his book Ender's Game, though you're creating a character who has adult mentor's, though becomes afraid of what he can do, and refuses to go all the way in fear of what he'll become. In many ways this is very much a good companion novel to Card's book. I really can't give even so much as a back handed compliment. The book isn't by any means perfect and there are plot points that I disagree with, however these are very much personal preferences rather than disagreements of style and thought. Please continue to write, I truly enjoy every moment of it.
slytherinslut13 chapter 13 . 1/27/2011
Not gonna lie, I'm really effing confused. Did he write these notes himself, or is someone messing with him?
muffin king chapter 1 . 1/27/2011
epic fic is epic
slytherinslut13 chapter 10 . 1/27/2011
Oh, ouch. That had to have hurt Snape... although he's oing to make HArry's life a living hell now. Oh, gods.
Vorel laraek chapter 5 . 1/27/2011
I could not stop laughing at the Madam Malkin's scrnr. Sir, I salute you.
slytherinslut13 chapter 7 . 1/27/2011
Harry...and...Snape? Friends? Oh, that is too much.
Aegeus chapter 60 . 1/27/2011
The quote caught my eye:

only now he realized that the experiment hadn't examined the right question, the one most important question, they hadn't looked at the key people, not the prison guards but everyone else

Interestingly, Wikipedia reports that the Stanford Prison Experiment was shut down early, after just 6 days, because the the experimenter's girlfriend objected to the conditions in the prison. On the other hand, she was the only one to question it out of 50 outside observers, so it still kind of proves your point.
xXFissshBonesssXx chapter 5 . 1/27/2011
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I CANNOT

STOP

LAUGHING

XD

This chapter was ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE. I can't think of another story that's made me laugh out loud EVERY chapter. It all feels so natural, so pleasant and realistic, I can't help but wonder if you draw on situations from your own life.

I have to admit straightaway that the entirety of the exchange between Harry and Draco caused my roommates to knock on my door and ask if I wasn't dying of some horrible laughter-induced disease because I COULDN'T STOP. I'm still reeling and instead of plodding on to the next chapter with a grin cross my cheers and cheer in my eyes I think I'll reread this section for giggles.

Or for bursts of concentrated hilarity.
slytherinslut13 chapter 6 . 1/27/2011
Poor, poor McGonagall. I'm sure that she was wishing she had sent Snape or Pompfrey or Sprout.
Media theorist chapter 24 . 1/27/2011
I am loving this book so far. Thanks for imagining a world in which Harry has a different dad, and with that a different approach to the universe.

I'm commenting on this chapter because it's the first one in which I see a major gap in Harry's logic; a seventh hypothesis which might be more powerful than the current leading candidate (that magical knowledge simply isn't being passed on thanks to the interdiction of Merlin). Specifically, it is entirely possible that the great magic from 800 years ago has been exaggerated through the normal workings of oral history. Magicians from 800 years ago are probably only a little bit less likely than jiggles to have been illiterate. Hence much of that history was likely to have been passed on as oral history, which has a tendency to become exaggerated (or legendary) over time. There is a way to compare this hypothesis to the current leading candidate, I think. The oral history hypothesis should lead to a non-linear decline that tracks the rise of literacy among wizards and, probably started sometime in the 18th century, witches. I would expect a reverse logarithmic decline (or, more correctly, a decline in in the perception of historical magical ability that would be a logarithmic function of the decline in illiteracy). That curve would be complicated by the later rise of literacy among witches, but not so much as to undermine a contrast with the more linear decline the forgotten magic hypothesis would entail.

Of course you may have thought of this already (I still have a lot of great reading to look forward to), but the declines documented so far seem logarithmic to me.
NoDrogs chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
This is an extroardinary well-written fic, that has done what I wish many more stories that I had read had done: It made me think. No greater praise can I give.
29,980 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,267 1,274 1,275 1,276 1277 1,278 1,279 1,280 1,287 .. Last Next »