Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Anon aka Chicken chapter 72 . 7/14/2011
Incredible.

Incredible. I have only ever read one fanfiction which was in the remote same LEAGUE as this (obviously Deathnote.) The complexity of this piece-coz lets face it working with time is a pain-and the sheer amount of scientific application to magic.

I love all of the changes you have made to the series. The magical paintball fights? Hilarious. And Harry's speech before the first battle("The truth is, most of you are probably going to die") is priceless.

I like the more frequent encounters with Minerva, she was truly quite a waste of a good character in canon, and the relationship which is develiping between her and Harry is both amusing(because she totally knows that he's evil, she just doesn't realise how evil). As is the strange friendship between Harry and Draco, Harry and Hermione and, well, Harry and everyone.

Huzzah for an evil(-ish) Dumbledore, he's even more fuddy-duddy than in canon.

Gotta admit, I don't understand alot of the more scientific references, but that's alright. I never do anyway.

I have noticed that it's been a while since you last updated. Please, please, please, don't stop writing this fic. It truly is priceless, and for those of us who have just come to the realisation that Harry Potter is now over, as the last movie just came out, we need fanfiction to keep us living.

Please don't ever give up on this.
Megan McAlistair chapter 14 . 7/14/2011
wow, my Comed-tea theory wasn't too wrong (well, not too far besides Harry's theory, nothing has been disproven)

except I focused it on the seller, not the tea itself, huh
The Ark chapter 72 . 7/14/2011
I've read the entire fanfic up to chapter 72, and I have lots of comments about various chapters, so i'll just post the whole lot at the end. First off, I liked the premise a lot; it seemed like a great opportunity to develop Potter-verse a bit and reveal some of the flaws in Rowling's own way of writing. It seems a bit like a reverse version of 'The Science of Discworld' (where the wizards of Unseen University used to a world ruled by magic and 'purpose' create our own universe)

I liked the way you portrayed the total unravelling of physics by a single act of transfiguration (I liked the bit of physics you slipped in about how violating conservation of energy wrecks the energy operator in the quantum hamiltonian, and practically unravels most of Quantum Theory, allows for FTL, in turn wrecking Special and General Relativity) but I was surprised by how quickly Harry got over the shock.

The passage in Chapter 7 discussing Luna Lovegood makes Malfoy seem a little too evil and it doesn't seem to fit well with the rest of his character.

The introduction of the student armies was welcome and added some drama to the Fic's earlier chapters, but it seemed as though there were too many small subplots up to Humanism I, and mysteries that the reader might have forgotten about as it went on (e.g. who is 'Santa Claus' and Mr. Coat and Hat?)

I really liked the chapter on partial transfiguration, because it points out something that genuinely makes no sense in the 'Laws of magic' and then proceeds to fix it by the power of... Science! After that point, I felt the story improving and gaining more direction and momentum. The way you revealed JK Rowling's obsession with cliches in Pretending to Be Wise, and the hard-headed utilitarian way Harry deals with them was excellent, and there could easily be more of that criticism in the story. Very Discworld.

I absolutely loved the Dementor encounter and the idea of a Humanist Patronus; your description of Harry's 'happy thought' - of humanity expanding and spreading across the universe - was very moving. I really appreciate the extensive use of Enlightenment ideals, and the way you showed their strength compared to unthinking, unconsidered 'happiness'. The way you embodied this as a 'true Patronus' was very clever, and it also undermines the main theme of the real Harry potter, which is that death should be 'accepted'.

Quirrell suddenly persuading Harry to rescue Bellatrix was very unexpected and I'm surprised that rationalist Harry fell for his scheme so quickly, but it gave an excuse to depict Azkaban so who cares? I liked the Azkaban chapters (I don't think that modern Muggle britain would be politically able to have a prison that tortures it's inhabitants, whatever Quirrell might say - so that's at least one way Wizards are socially inferior) , but I am surprised that they weren't spotted or noticed at some point by Dumbledore.

Their method of escape, using a rocket attached to a Nimbus 2000, was VERY entertaining and It gave another opportunity to depict the way broomstick magic works (aristotelian or 'intuitive') and it's conflict with rocketry physics that almost destroyed their jury-rigged flying contraption.

The way the rescue petered out, with all the 'aftermaths' seemed to drag on a bit and you might not need all of them - eventually it became a little tedious, and the complex Time-turning was hard to follow (although I liked the way the Department for Magical Law enforcement tied itself in knots trying to understand the rescue). I think it's premature to comment on the most recent chapters because I can't quite see where the story's leading next.

I hope the review's been useful and constructive. I'm not really an arty type and I don't expect a character, but could I request that you include 'Ark' as the name of a place or thing somewhere later on in the fanfic? Is it strictly Fan art only for any inclusion.
RSS chapter 72 . 7/14/2011
I tried, I really did. But this story is just not for me. Your AU just does not sit well with me. I guess I am of the no triono like club. No...just...no.
Caelistis.Rydraline chapter 5 . 7/14/2011
I don't usually review stories before finishing them, but the fact that I'm in tears from laughing makes it nessesary, I think. .

I'd just like to say that this is bloody brilliant, both the writing and the idea.
Dr M Oxford University chapter 6 . 7/13/2011
I really like JK Rowling's Harry Potter. However, I would happily MARRY yours.
Megan McAlistair chapter 12 . 7/13/2011
"As if it had altered history to fit?"

Hypothesis: an entity that moves backwards through time has set up Comed-Tea as a business idea, selling the magically vanishing tea just the right way to just the right people at just the right time that every time a can is drunk something would simultaneously occur that would make them choke on it

in which case it would be the seller and not the tea itself

Wild Fan Speculation: Harry will one day figure out all the rules of magic, including Time-Turners, he will figure it's a great way to make money, and become that entity previously mentioned
Megan McAlistair chapter 10 . 7/13/2011
in my opinion Harry didn't kill the hat (after giving him "life")

after all, if you had the means to unfreeze any person without lasting damage, would you call a frozen person dead?

the hat has the potential to become alive any second and the in-between phases he is "dormant"

I guess my definition of killing is not taking away life itself but rather taking away the potential for life, but since we can't resurrect dead people yet (unless you count CPR ("Reanimation" in German) and the likes as reanimation, in which case my definition would have a point) it is kind of the same
Megan McAlistair chapter 9 . 7/13/2011
"The hideous buzzings redoubled in volume and built to another awful crescendo:"

I can't help but with that description I have to think of vuvuzelas
mmmm chapter 72 . 7/13/2011
Incredibly good.
Twistedmind365 chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
Did you know that you're kind of famous? Just look up your fanfic's name on Google... It's insane! You got an entire article on Tv Tropes! People mention you all around! It's MADNESS, I tell you, MADNESS! If you keep this up, you'll have a fanbase the size of JK Rowling's!
xdominoe chapter 72 . 7/12/2011
ZOMG. i'm in love.

idk if it's you or the story.

or maybe quirrell... "

but anyways. please continue to write.

i was SOO heartbroken when i discovered this was incomplete.

and in the spirit of the review semi-revolution,

here i am.

( yes, i went through your entire profile. " )

and i read luminosity, actually before this, so i'm really liking the rationalist!hero/ine plot following.

don't think i'm smart enough to execute it.

may try. we'll see.

happy writing. 3
antipodean chapter 5 . 7/12/2011
The most hilarious chapter ever! EVER! I was laughing so hard by the end that I couldnt breathe and ended up falling off my bed! Malfoys wanting to be in gryffindor! lol Ive heard so much about you... lol
Ag Surfer chapter 50 . 7/12/2011
Sadly, I've reached the first chapter in this overall excellent story that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I'm speaking, of course, of Harry's unilateral decision to bring Padma around. His decision, and the method he took were, at a minimum, ill advised.

Fortunately, by the *end* of the chapter, my concerns had been addressed and there was no one in the cast of characters who thought that Harry had acted in the slightest bit honorable, or even with an eye towards friendship.

It was cold blooded manipulation (extortion?) of an eleven year old girl who does not happen to share Harry's level of intelligence.

And though no one actually came out and said it, the thought that stayed in the front of my mind as I read the description of Harry's inexcusable behavior was - If you think you have the right to decide what is "Right" and "Good" for others - if you really feel that you have advanced that much as a Human Being - then you ought to by Jove be DEMONSTRATING it!

Sorry, but Hermione had the right of it - Harry is a bully here. I sincerely hope that there will be positive changes as a result of this incident and that Harry understands not to take such an approach again.

The story is outstanding - my intense reactions to this chapter are because I have come to care about your characters and the story you are weaving. Let me end on that note.
Anonymous Poster chapter 1 . 7/12/2011
Dear Chris Hallquist,

I think you'll find Yudkowsky has some pretty mad skills too, homie.

He's kind of a big deal in the AI field. He also wrote the Sequences, which are linked on his profile and where Harry's intelligence "comes from".

Respectfully yours,

Anonymous Poster
32,218 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,267 1,274 1,275 1,276 1277 1,278 1,279 1,280 1,287 .. Last Next »