Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Oo chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
Of course the first thing that makes me feel uncomfortable is the thing I want to write about, but moving part the whole age of consent thing (the teacher student thing is probably a bit more bothersome, shes 6th or 7th year?)the move does sort of epitomize the whole image of snake you just gave us as a person (which was really really really fantastic), a guy filled with self loathing to the point hes willing to throw himself down a peg and probably make him self feel even worse about who he is.

The guy needs some therapy!
109 chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
!

Squeeeeeeeee! 3 3 3
Fresh C chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Ah well... I read chapter 76 and I still don't think I would have realized what was happening if not for having read the reviews. But I'm always that way when someone writes/says something clever, I either get it right away, or I tend to go with surface impressions. (I'm sure the whole process is officially defined by some logical fallacy or another). In any case, I recognize what you were trying to do, and I'm sure some people got a kick out of it when they realized it. It wouldn't be clever if everyone got it all the time. (but it sucks to be on the "slower end" of things).

As far as this chapter goes. I really enjoyed the mood you set here. I felt bad for Rianne and worse for Snape. Because he's basically realized that his whole life has been one pitiful existence which he can think of no way to remedy.

SPOILERS

I don't know if I'm reading into this incorrectly (Yet again) but it seems as if you dropped a big bomb on us in this chapter. It looks as if you're stating that the prophecy didn't actually concern Voldemort and instead concerns Snape. And I think there's some good reasoning for believing that as well, since you stated earlier (I think) that a prophecy has special meaning to the person who hears it, as it is born into the world with the intent of leading that person to cause great events as a result of hearing it.

However, even if that statement is fact, it doesn't necessarily mean that Snape is one of the poeple being mentioned by the prophecy. Because even if he's not the Dark Lord in question, he IS the person who set the events in motion by telling Voldemort that the prophecy existed at all. So indirectly he IS the reason that prophecy was/will be fulfilled.

But whether Snape is right in believe that the prophecy is about him or not, the fact of the matter remains that he does think it's about himself. It should be very interesting to see how he behaves, given his new perspective on life.

If Snape is the one the prophecy is refering to, I wonder if you can make him seem even almost as badass as Quirell is now. (Though you don't have to be terribly badass to take on an 11-17 year old child...)
Guest chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
I don't understand the hate that this arc has been getting. I thought Hermione's maturation into someone who doesn't necessarily follow the rules was well-written and quite intriguing. The best part, though, was this final chapter with Snape. Touching, delicate, sad. Great writing.
what are you even saying chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
I find it amusing that with all of the interesting points of this chapter, the thing I'm stuck on is my disgust that someone (aside from perhaps Dumbledore) finds Snape genuinely appealing. I guess they wouldn't call them blind spots if you could find your way around them easily. Then again, I'm not sure I want to try. I'm comfortable in my hatred of that particular fictional character.

Still, a good chapter that provides important insight into a character roughly half of your readers would want killed painfully, with the other half are evenly divided between wanting him paired with Harry and with Hermione, respectively. Gross.
William H. Stoddard chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
To my personal sensibilities, Chapter 77 is a first-rate one, the best you've written in some time. The previous chapters have had a number of dramatic surprises, and several laugh-out-louds, and even moving short passages; but this entire chapter is moving. The "unreliable narrator" treatment of Rianne is extremely well handled, and her series of emotional reactions makes sense throughout. And it's interesting to see Severus coming back to seek a second opinion on what Harry told him about his relationship with Lily, many chapters back. This whole chapter gives us more insight into Severus, and in contrast to a lot of your characters, this Severus really seems very close to the original, and sheds light on him directly.

I'm not sure about the title of the chapter, though, unless it's meant ironically: It seems to me that Severus is precisely NOT able to treat his past experiences as sunk costs. He's still focused on his wretched adolescence, on his hopeless love for Lily, on his guilt over giving her away, and on his complex feelings about Harry, to the point that he's never really developed into a human being, as that kiss makes all too evident. This Severus seems like someone whose death in a later episode might come as a welcome release.
annon chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Oh this is good, I mean I know its alternate universe, but it captures Cannon Snape's character quite well. With the Minor exception that Cannon Snape is actually good at Riddles! In Philosophers stone, while all the other teachers are doing complex magic, etc to protect the stone, Snape's challenge is a Riddle! because he says, and I'm paraphrasing "Most wizards are idiots, and know nothing of logic"
teapotsaucer chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Oh Severus Snape - a miserable, damned creature as you are... and those dark hidden depths to his dark complex exterior are sooooo attractive to any girl with a heart for romance. So flawed, so lovely in all his imperfection. I'd jump him, if he wouldn't kill me. Love the kiss.
derp chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Didn't expect you to actually do it :o
Rosa Mundi chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
I love this. Beyond that, nothing to say.
Selina Novella chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Awww... Sev, you continue to confound and draw us in. Gotta love Rianne saying so plainly that being in love with a girl from 30 years ago is pathetic. Totally pathetic in fact. Poor Sev, you're so emo. lol
MrRobertsIII chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
a bit creepy but fun to read! Hopefully Snape will get a clue.
FanBoySalami chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Your story keeps surprising me: this chapter lets me clearly see my darkest secrets, weaknesses and hopes like a "lumos" cast at night in a treasure vault. Thank you!

I make excuses why I don't want what I want, because I am afraid: I tell myself I am not successful enough yet, don't need the distractions, and want to be a better person, when in reality I choose to be pathetic. In short, I could easily become Snape, and I am grateful for your story.

No complaints about the writing, plot, etc. either.
Crzyncl chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Snape, even if it was just your attempt at being nice, that still counts as pedophilia.
Rhydian chapter 77 . 9/6/2011
Frankly, I'm happy to see that arc over. HPMOR used to be wickedly funny and smart, and that arc was just overwrought and over-thought. And the arc didn't even move the story forward to any interesting degree; your version on Angst-y!Hermoine was more painful than canon's Angst-y!Harry. The Angst-y!Snape in this chapter is shorter, better and vastly more interesting than the entirety of that last arc, and it actually ties into the larger plot.

I hope that events pick up again and that the writing becomes easier because we've been stuck in neutral for a while now. For me, the train started going off the tracks about the time we lost touch with JKR's world.

Despite the negativity, I do hope you continue and, please, bring the fun and cleverness back.
33,731 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,279 1,286 1,287 1,288 1289 1,290 1,291 1,292 1,299 .. Last Next »