Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Nirbheek Chauhan chapter 67 . 1/13/2011
Ever since I stopped looking/waiting for updates, I've found that finding an update email in my inbox gives me greater joy. For instance: I saw the email for Ch. 66 and fired it up in Readability. When I was done, I was slightly surprised to see the update being so short.

Then I saw another mail in my inbox "Ch. 67".

SUCH JOY.

I like having lowered expectations.

In related news, I'm going to read manga only once a month from now so that I get larger amounts of fun in one go.
DualX chapter 67 . 1/13/2011
... Wow I can imagin this.

2 american heads of pureblood families are fighting with lightsabers, using wandless magic to summon various things, and shoot out force lightning.

And then George Lucas obvserves, and get hit with a badly done obliviate...

Light saber fighting was the coolest part of these two chapters.

also, Muhahahahaa.
Speechwriter chapter 67 . 1/13/2011
ARGH! Harry! I feel like that, to a degree, is cheating, given that suits of armor/chainmail cross over from the wizard world to the Muggle world. Even if they aren't exclusively Muggle.

I felt so embarrassed for Hermione when she crashed into the wall. Oh, dear.
MisterTabi chapter 67 . 1/13/2011
Heh...lightsabers. :D
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 65 . 1/13/2011
"He was starting to wonder if all the other wizarding schools were also like this, or if it was only Hogwarts that had a problem."

From what we hear in the books it seems to be the same in all wizarding schools, sorry Harry.
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 63 . 1/13/2011
"I can't hear the music" by James Blunt has turned out to be a very fitting song for Harry's aftermath, with "Halleluiah" by Furture of Forestry for the part after when he talks to Hermione. Bittersweet but with a hint of redemption, both for himself and the world.
nth-x chapter 25 . 1/13/2011
So, I found myself re-reading this for the first time, and have noticed a few things that didn't stick with me the first time I read through. The one I want to mention is the way in which the Weasley Twins use Godric Gryffindor.

It's plain to see that they've built up this false image of him in their minds that is basically a reflection of themselves, and that they use this image to explain some or all of their actions to themselves. Maybe it is similar to Harry's "dark side", in that they are basically identifying a part of themselves with this alternate persona.

In any event, I really like the way they use Gryffindor as their model of pranking and behavior. Likewise their near deification of the marauders as some ancient and powerful sect. I work with teenagers for a living, and I can totally see them behaving in exactly this way.

As always, your fic is thought-provoking and extremely enjoyable. Thanks for writing!
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 30 . 1/13/2011
Quirrell was worried about Harry gaming the exit criteria if he made it explicit. Apparently he should have been equally worried about Hermione gaming the hit criteria, because she wouldn't have won if they'd been playing paintball, or a magical equivalent where it was obvious to the opposition that someone had truly been hit and was out versus faking it.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 27 . 1/13/2011
And once again Severus Snape demonstrates just how reprehensible an individual he really is. Not only is he consistently ungrateful and unforgiving, but he chooses to strike his most emotionally laden blows at the very moments that he should be most grateful. His timing is impeccably bad. He did it to James, he did it to Lily, and now he's done it to Harry.
mione granger2175 chapter 13 . 1/13/2011
When I first started to read this story I didn't think I was going to like it. but now I LOVE it! I can't stop laughing at Harry's predicaments and what happened with the Sorting Hat
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 22 . 1/13/2011
You didn't describe a test that was blind enough. If Harry had copied the spells out of the spell books and made the alterations, then he knew what the spell books actually said, and since he was the one testing Hermione, the test was not double-blind.

There is also the possibility that magic works in subtly different ways for different users. Hermione is a rule follower. For her, there may well be psychological impediments that make it impossible for a spell to work properly if altered at all. She is also highly verbal which may make correct incantation more important than other factors. Someone more in touch with raw magic, someone who has done lots of 'accidental' magic, like Tom Riddle, may get entirely different results.
Keiren-Kun89 chapter 4 . 1/13/2011
Much like that goblin I am looking at my screen with a gaze of frank respect, possibly even outright admiration as I laugh so hard I tear the muscles in my diaphragm. This is SO good.
BLitZme.2 chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
LORD OF THE RATIONALITY

I would love to see more Lord of the Rationality, or at least a plot summery or even just Bilbo’s plan. Plus your version of the riddle game and Smaug scenes would kick ass. This is several dozen kinds of Win.

THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE

You seem to be missing what I always took as the point of the story. Ao one of three things appears true. One you don’t get it. Two discarded the idea by rejecting one of its assumptions. Three you ignore it for the sake of presenting a reasonable alternative.

So pleas humor me but it always seemed to me that a key part of the original story’s message was if free will and or independence (likely the development there of) are basic to morality than a good God figure can conceivably be obliged to let others do “his work”. The need for the moral intermediaries in such a case is not a matter of true necessity but one of moral necessity, such a being could end any conflict in a stroke but ether in the interest of free will or the growth of the beings it cares for it cannot just hand them a victory they must work for it themselves and be truly able to fail or it is meaningless and hollow providing no struggle which is an essential element in growth or choice.

Also consider this do you really consider it a CHOICE to do GOOD if your only options are good A or good B? In that case how can you say you chose good all you have chosen is A or B where both happen to be good. Thus to chose good it must at least be truly possible to chose evil. So if you believe that choosing good is a vital action morally than evil must be something that can be done and thus the White Witch and her allies must be allowed some form of free action as Aslan appears obliged to her morally as well By his own moral reasoning. Also not being omniscient or having infinite computational ability to examine implications it seems to me that some kinds of interaction are not immoral for a good “God” under these circumstances though no interaction also seems plausible. Further in a case like the later I can see little if any way to tell such a universe from ether our own or one with no God (a bad sigh for logically arguing in favor of God I admit).

This is roughly why I consider it foolish to A. bash belief in religion B. Carte blanche rule out moral omniscient beings C. say an omnipotent “God” makes us and our efforts necessarily pointless as our struggles and decisions and choice to be good could be the whole point. Just as I believe that in the absence of God that is one of if not the only thing we should

ERDŐS IN CHAINS

Insufficient Data For Meaningful Answer.

THUNDERSMARTS

You know a I always assumed MumRah and his Pyramid were protected by magic and or super science (and that maybe he crippled there ship as it was trying to land on third earth)

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF RATIONALITY

This is both awesome and sufficient though I assume Evillin is the brains of the bad guys ether way a glimpse at hem might be cool but I doubt even one whole story would be awesome or at least ahce the awesome density of HPMOR

FATE/SANE NIGHT

I don’t get it anyone please advise

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN RATIONALITY 40K

Best copout ever.

Though I wonder if your solution to spiral nemesis is the same as mine.

If I understand the problem correctly spiral nemesis I when the energy and mater created by overuse of Spiral power turns the universe into a huge black hole, which is of course very bad. Well what I would do to solve this problem is to use the unlimited energy provided by Access to spiral power, to push all for the mater and energy of the universe apart on a truly cosmic scale. Thus reducing the density of the universe and averting the collapse, as black holes are a function of density not mass. This of course does not work in certain space time geometries especially ones that are closed and or finite and possibly some or all open and infinite.

If anyone sees an error in this I would like to know pleas.

UTILITARIAN TWILIGHT

In the interest of completeness here is a list of Negatives. Loss of reproduction, Severe emotional upheaval, Mood swings seem apparent (Have only herd bashing and seen ri tracks of movie 1 to base this clame on), Increase in aggression and territorialism, Reduced impulse control, Possible dulling of emotions, Possible supernatural unknowns (we grant Psi advantages it is idiotic to ignore this angle and foolish to not investigate it.)

At the very least she should realize not everyone wants those and two we would be boned as a species if a method for the population to bread was not established, though she has a good point. Also this is a manageable issue but still an issue, how are we getting all the needed blood? I doubt our livestock capacity could stand even a 30% switch over to pure carnivore in the short to midterm and in the long term it has some large problems (carnivorous inefficiencies and all), also it makes manned space travel a pain.
The Quiller chapter 1 . 1/12/2011
I made the mistake of reading this in class and started laughing hysterically in the middle of a calculus lecture, which resulted in an awkward silence, many incredulous stares, and flustered apologies on my part afterwards. I regret nothing. This story was more than worth any trouble invested in reading all two-hundred thousand plus words.

Thank you for proving that quality of content and quantity of updates within a limited time period are not mutually exclusive.

The Quiller
Tormuse chapter 17 . 1/12/2011
Well, Dumbledore *does* seem to be behaving even more strangely than his canon counterpart, but then again, perhaps he feels a need to ramp up his quirkiness to throw off Harry's higher intelligence. That way his hints are more subtle. (He does still seem to be pressing the idea of Harry exploring that third floor corridor)
29,807 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,279 1,286 1,287 1,288 1289 1,290 1,291 1,292 1,299 .. Last Next »