Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
baconbreath chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love this story! Thank you for the update.
AwsmAdm chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love this story, and it keeps getting better and better. I'm definitely seeing the Ender's game inspiration but it's working out well, and it will be nice to see Harry do his best with even more of a handicap. I can't wait to see the school's general reaction to the changes in the armies (if Neville leaves Harry's side though I might cry). Poor Hermione, Dumbledore was really kind of harsh. I wonder what Draco will do next.
Spidey-phd chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
You have it all backwards. Ender led Dragon army not Chaos army.

Well done!
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
›› She left the Defense Professor's office with a larger army, and less dignity, and feeling a lot like a sad little bug that had just been squished, and trying very very hard not to cry.

:D ¡LOL! :D

Thanks for the update.
CeilingFan chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love seeing Harry through others' eyes! I think my favorite part of this chapter is when Harry's wide-eyed defense that he's been giving a good 80-90% of himself in every battle makes Hermione want to stab him in the face and then go cry. (I'm assuming sincerity on Harry's part, even with his monstrous ego and impressive cunning, because Harry is very sincere generally.)

Dumbledore's awful "Harry's the hero, you're a sidekick" bit matches his very serious criticism of That Other Fictional Mentor Wizard for lunacy, or at least such a strong dedication to a very operatic worldview that he might as well be assumed crazy. I feel terrible for Hermione, but mostly I hope she learns not to place the health of her ego in another person's care. The whole scene Dumbledore/Hermione/McGonagall scene made me angry and embarrassed on everyone's behalf - and made me wonder if Dumbledore wasn't intentionally chasing Hermione away. Bleh.
NothingPretentious chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Another moving chapter.

I'm growing to hate your Dumbledore, by the way, assuming he is what he seems. People who think in stories are infuriating. I hope he's actually playing some higher level game.
demonicnargles chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Cliffhangers like that are bad, and you should FEEL bad. (That was a joke. Mostly.)

Everyone is quite, quite unfair to Hermione. But she isn't sure what to do, since she looks up to authority so much. She fishes around for second opinions, but none of them are what she's looking for.

Harry is being treated unequally, which he perceives as being treated unfairly. And now Hermione thinks less of him, because of things Quirrell said.

I still haven't decided if your Quirrell is possessed or not. He is certainly not canon, but beyond that I cannot tell.

Random comments and speculation are over now. Looking forward to next time.

-demonicnargles
Fresh C chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Well this is interesting. In general I don't leave reviews to really popular stories mostly because I figure no one will ever read them. But since you've specifically asked for reviews as a form of 'payment' then I figure I can spare one for you, even if it does get lost in the crowd.

I enjoy this story. The characters are complex and consistent. The many subplots are each exciting in their own right and often end in ways I wouldn't have predicted. Also, it's funny at times, and that's always a plus.

This story did effectively ruin Christianity for me though, which sorta sucks, as I enjoyed practicing Christianity. It's not that I don't believe Christianity is possible any more, it's just that because of the ideas I encountered in this story I realize that I have absolutely no way of knowing whether it's true or not and therefore cannot believe in it the way I once did. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing actually. So I feel that I can somewhat identify with the Draco you presented in this story.

In any case, I'll keep on reading this because it's good fiction and I always admire that. Also the message is not a bad one. Being rational is a good way to live if you can accomplish it. The trick is figuring out where and how to gain the knowledge that forms the foundations for what you ultimately decide to believe in.

I can think of no good way to end this review. So I'll just say thanks for the good story. Looking forward to future chapters.

(I think I said "good" too much)
Dreamer In Silico chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I missed reviewing the last few chapters due to exams, but I particularly enjoyed the end of the Prison Experiment series where Harry sounds like he's going to flip accepted morals the bird (even moreso than usual). The original HP series showcased so many sentimental tropes and biases that come standard in much of culture, and it never ceases to delight me when you call them out as the nonsensical, often harmful things they are.

In this chapter, I felt terribly sorry for Hermione, and it really made me hate Dumbledore a bit more than I already did in this story. My internal jury is out on whether his advice was the correct advice, for the time being. I realize it would be a bit hypocritical to call him out for being a jerk considering how much I *love* it when Quirrell or Harry are ruthless jerks, but I suppose I reacted that way because I trust Q and H to be right about things a lot more than I trust D. (Also, I like honest assholes who know they're assholes, I suppose. Dumbledore is not an honest asshole.)

Great fun and very interesting read, as usual. )
Chasing chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Interesting, interesting...
Sun chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
I love Hermione and am hoping that things work out well for her. Can't wail till the next chapter.
NancyLebovitz chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
That was a doozy of a chapter.

Back when Harry said that the only reason dentistry would be remembered was because of Hermione, it was funny. Of course, her parents probably wouldn't have to live through the process.
The French Dark Lord chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Just Freakin' amazing!
name chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
My friend showed me a link on the front page of reddit the other day... it was an explanation of quantum physics. It was an interesting read and not your average reddit post. At the end of the fairly long post, the guy mentioned that he got most of his info from Eliezer Yudkowsky. It took me a while to remember how I knew that name...and then I realized it was the name of my favorite fanfic author! It was nice to randomly find some of your non-fanfic stuff _
Tuesday Next chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Poor Hermione-I can imagine how frustrating it would be, being used to being the smartest one in the room, and then finding yourself pushed aside in favor of someone else. It's true, though, that she will always be defined by Harry (as will everyone who knows him), but how could she escape that? By returning to the Muggle world? Even so, I hope she can find her own path and not let Harry overshadow her-she needs to carve out an area of interest or study that's all her own; that way, even if she remains close to Harry she'll have an important part of her life that isn't tied up with him.
30,066 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,279 1,286 1,287 1,288 1289 1,290 1,291 1,292 1,299 .. Last Next »