Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Dreamer In Silico chapter 62 . 1/5/2011
iFire on the mountain shall find the harp of gold,

Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old.

Power from the Greenwitch, lost beneath the sea -

All shall find the Light at last, silver on the tree./i

I learned that poem in its entirety when I was... actually, 11 or 12, because I loved those books and I liked to memorize things. Made me smile to see the reference in Ch 62. )
Reader chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Note to author: don't reveal the plot, no matter what questions are asked and however silly assumptions are made in this review.

To do so despite the separate good of being nice to someone who was nice to you as a baby, and to do so in a way which weakens your mutual sympathy with an important, trusted, and reasonably-powerful ally (McGonagall)... that's a dark-style mistake, not one I'd expect from warm!Harry.

I wish Harry could be kinder to Hagrid.

Agree. But Harry is correct in wanting to hide the thing with the Sorting Hat. Professor Quirrell is only one of many Slytherins who would attack Harry when they found out he knowingly "betrayed" Slytherin's secret.

I hope Harry will be warm to Hagrid, just without telling about the Sorting Hat. And becoming friends with Hagrid could reveal something about the Chamber of Secrets.

Is Quirrell or isn't he?

Quirrell isn't the Dark Lord. Quirrell is stronger and wiser than that. Except that Quirrell thinks that political power is worth something. If Quirrell continues to push Harry Potter to rule Britain, Harry should point out that Lucius knows that Harry took Bellatrix from prison, and if Harry tried to rule Britain, real power would be in hands of Lucius, who controls everybody, not only Harry, while Harry would be only a pawn in the fight among Dumbledore/Lucius/Quirrell.

Is Quirrell related to Lucius in any way? They haven't interacted at all, or I have forgotten about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Quirrell was teaching Dark Lord somewhen. I would be interested in why Dark Lord killed Quirrell's friends without killing Quirrell, and why Quirrell shows no wish to find and kill the Dark Lord. It seems that Quirrell is too suspiciously sure that the Dark Lord is dead. He doesn't question it; he just refuses to look at the question; he doesn't ask himself why Dumbledore believes the Dark Lord to be alive.

Or maybe, Quirrell himself planted something to make Dumbledore think the Dark Lord is alive. It would explain why Quirrell wanted to take Bellatrix out of the prison: he wanted to maintain the visible threat of Dark Lord over Britain, hoping to get Harry Potter to play a part in the spectacle. But what's the final goal? To rule the world by manipulating Harry-Potter-the-only-wizard-fighting-the-Dark-Lord? Harry Potter will not play along. And ruling the world is most likely not a goal, but a way to do something. So, what's Quirrell's ultimate goal?

I really hope Harry starts looking for the Dark Lord. Though getting friends with Auroras and giving them hints that it the rescuer of Bellatrix wasn't the Dark Lord would also be a good thing to do, just too dangerous: Auroras are clever, too.

The plot thickens. Love it!

The plot is already too thick, but I agree, I like it.

I'm not even sure what the right decision is!

Find the real Dark Lord to fight instead of impostor. And manage to preserve Quirrell as an ally at the same time.
DukeAtreides22 chapter 11 . 1/5/2011
Laughing the whole way through! ATREIDES! Thats my pick
DukeAtreides22 chapter 10 . 1/5/2011
That last bit had me guttin my self laughing!
DukeAtreides22 chapter 7 . 1/5/2011
I loved the insertion of the Medieval mind set. Its an interesting take on the subject, as a Medievalist, it made me smile to see it.

Also, Fold Space? yes please.

Can I expect more references to great sci-fi?
The Epitome of Eccentricity chapter 13 . 1/5/2011
Crap, I just lost The game. I hate you... This was a... Sorting-Hat and McGonagol colaberation for revenge on Harry? Eh, I'll figure it out next chapter... But seriously, I've loved this story since chapter 1. xD This is my favorite story EVER!
CaeruleaFairyDust chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Did you know that this story comes up third in a google search of 'fanfiction harry potter'?

I thought that was neat.

I really like the mental exercise your fic gives, even if I think the story has a much to be desired. I both hate and love it when you update- love because I feel like I *need* to read this, and hate because... Have you ever read a book, and the author did something to his/her character that just made you want to cry from the sheer frustration you would feel if that were happening to you?

Thankfully, you usually end up adding much needed humor, which saves me from screaming at the computer screen (who doesn't deserve it, poor dear).

I do enjoy the Rationality, though. Very interesting, very different way of thinking than what I am used to.

For all my frustration with parts of your fic, I am truly grateful you started it, it has opened my eyes and my mind that little bit wider that every good book does.

A Faithful Reader
Gastogh chapter 14 . 1/5/2011
Grade A hilarious, right here. Coulda' read through almost the whole chapter with the Benny Hill theme on infinite repeat.

A time machine to treat a sleeping disorder?

"You're having another 'you turned into a cat' moment, aren't you, Mr. Potter." Mwah. xD

Silly Harry, knowledge transcends reality parameters.
bohemian-rhapsodi chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
Wow, what a marathon it was to catch up! Where should I begin... your style is too masterful for words, I'm loving (read: running away in terror from) Prof Quirrell, and I can't believe that the science/rationality theme works so well... congratulations, I can't wait for the next instalments!
sjm95x chapter 12 . 1/5/2011
Amazing and funny. Dark Lord Potter ftw!

"Dark Lord Potter, is Dumbledore truly gay?"

"Well according to the Baye's hypothesis of..."
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 17 . 1/5/2011
It's a bit of a shame to not have Harry flying but I guess this Harry, your Harry, is a different person entirely.

"That you most certainly are!" Dumbledore said. "Thankfully the Words of Power and Madness were lost seven centuries ago and no one has the slightest idea what they are anymore. It was just a little remark." - That is such Dumbledore thing to say, well done.

And then it gets hilariously weird...
sjm95x chapter 2 . 1/5/2011
This is hilarious!

"You bit her?"

"She didn't know what a logarithm was!"

Can't wait to read more. This is great!
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 9 . 1/5/2011
Interesting take on the Potter story. Definitely better Houses than shoving them all into Gryffindor. Now, where have you put Harry?
richard chapter 64 . 1/5/2011
Re author's note to ch. 65, in defense of canon:

the omake raise a point I've been thinking about recently: Harry Potter offers the kind of world where you can usefully do a rationalist critique. I just don't think it's possible to do the same thing with, say, Lord of the Rings or The Dark is Rising or even His Dark Materials, and I think that's because HP appears to offer actual solvable problems which are not overwhelmingly metaphysical. At least until the final couple of chapters.

Try a rationalist approach on Susan Cooper and see how far you'd get: the whole thing is too much about vague feelings, the darkness of the Dark doesn't stand up to any kind of analysis. Pullman's Lord Asriel seems like he might be a rationalist Alexander cutting through the Gordian cocoon of Catholic mysticism, but really he's just an ambitious devil playing the same power game as the Authority and its handlers, and the better answer Pullman offers is as metaphysical as anything it's supposed to replace.

So I'd say Rowling's achievement is pretty impressive, and Eliezer's riffing on it is a vindication, even when it pokes gentle fun.
WestWard101 chapter 65 . 1/5/2011
The past ten or so chapters have started to drag and the upcoming chapters don't look like it will improve. Convoluted plot threads are boring (the major weakness of JKR was the convoluted plotting). Especially when there's the giant question hanging over the whole story.

Is Quirrell or isn't he?

We have made no progress in answering that.

I feel like I did when I watched Lost. There's never any resolution to the big questions, just more of the same.
29,781 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,287 1,294 1,295 1,296 1297 1,298 1,299 1,300 1,307 .. Last Next »