Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Avi chapter 8 . 2/3/2011
When Hermione "finishes her drink" it sounds as though she has gone through a whole can without a spit take, then later when she does spit it out it becomes clear that "finishes her drink" just means that she swallows the sip she has in her mouth.

Despite it being a parody of a story I know, this manages to remain fairly unpredictable.
Avi chapter 5 . 2/3/2011
I do like the character of this Harry Potter. I think I like him better than the other one, but then he wasn't raised under a staircase. Draco's motivation in fawning over Harry wasn't quite clear: I suppose it's retaliatory mocking and showing that he can flatter falsely just as skillfully, but that's hardly a skill I can see him wanting to cultivate. Harry's loss of restraint in the face of the mocking seems a little uncharacteristic. Surely even a homeschooled child knows that's the wrong way to respond to a bully.
Avi chapter 1 . 2/2/2011
I haven't read more than a few chapters of the original, just seen the movies, but I like the premise and can see the parallel with the original. I'm curious already where this is going.
Uniasus chapter 63 . 2/2/2011
Right, this fic is awesome because its filled with such good broad issues that normally I would find boring but here is so interesting!

Also, you gave me an idea for a paper I have due next week. Thanks!
QueenTigris chapter 33 . 2/2/2011
It seems SOMEONE has read Ender's Game. Also, was that a Gurren Lagann reference? How many awesome points can you HAVE?

Fanfiction is not supposed to be this good. This is hilarious and gripping at the same time, the plot is so fast paced it's actually hard to keep up with each jump forward, the characters are fantastically rendered... Of all the fanfictions of this length that I've read, probably the best. Definitely of the Harry Potter genre.

I started reading this only a couple days ago after a recommendation, and I dread the inevitable when I reach the end and have to wait for future chapters.

I am having difficulty coming up with recommendations for you to better your writing or the story, as I usually do with other writers... so, carry on, I say!

Also, since the Deathnote and TTGL references, I keep waiting for one of the Generals to pull out a chessboard and pull a Lelouch Lamperouge and start calling all of his soldiers by the locations of squares. Or for that matter for Hermione to pick up Sun Tzu's "Art of War" and study her way to victory. Or for Draco to start snapping his fingers like Roy Mustang. While the story is compelling on its own, I must admit a large part of the fun is the constant references to popular culture; and the references to REAL science are quite refreshing.

In other words, thank you.
The Bardomicron chapter 1 . 2/2/2011
In Chapter 6, The Planning Fallacy, there is either a clue, or a flaming red herring, to a major plot twist later in the story. When Harry refutes McGonagall's unverbalized thoughts of familial abuse it occurred to me that this could be one very large setup. McGonagall references the Obliviation charm and obliviated abuse leaving aftereffects, and, it might just be my twisted mind, but what if Dumbledore set up all of Harry's supposed life with the Verres-Evans family? He could have been living the canon childhood and had it all replaced in his and his family's minds. What if...
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 69 . 2/2/2011
Even if there's an extra 'h' that's still technically pronounced 'spew'. Heh heh.

This just gets better & better.
s-david-m chapter 28 . 2/2/2011
Still enjoying this story, but I'd like to point out that there are perfectly reasonable explanations why transfiguration can only work on whole objects. Consider for instance a force that dissipates quickly over ranges beyond molecular bonds.
2642379 chapter 69 . 2/2/2011
The sparkly unicorn pincess of the noble and most ancient house of sparklypoo. Funniest thing I've read in ages. Good chapter.
Markus Ramikin chapter 67 . 2/2/2011
"We're the Grey Knights of Chaos,"

You, sir, have just committed the vilest blasphemy. The Emperor's gaze is upon you and his wrath is not far off.

(itwasstillcool)
H0licist chapter 2 . 2/2/2011
How...fun. No, seriously. I look forward towards the long reading. Rarely does the science aspect get that much incorporate...well, thoughts of interference and "HOW CAN THAT BE?" and even if there was I doubt I could find a good enough writer and story. Thus I look very much forward to your story.
s-david-m chapter 15 . 2/2/2011
Interesting story so far. Just a note: systems theory can model anti-causal systems, where algorithms can depend on future inputs. That should suffice to explain time turners for us lowly muggles. ;-)
Onmi Khaos chapter 69 . 2/2/2011
I truly found this a blast to read, the battle was something intresting and I hope that if this extends beyond the first year we'll see some great variations in spells. The dynamic between the three generals is a constant flux of respect, team work and mutual destruction.

Dumbledore acted exactly how you would expect a man who seems to frequent TV Tropes to act, He also sounds so tired of it all though who can say that wasn't an act. Ambiguity leading to a reveal is after all one of the stories strongest assets.

Also I much prefer SPHEW to SPEW,
Bucken-Berry chapter 69 . 2/2/2011
Dear Less Wrong,

This story is pure genius. I love romance fanfiction as much as the next guy, but sometimes it just isn't enough, and you need something clever and witty like this. There are only two authors who are as good or better than you; Arthur C. Clarke and Issac Asimov. If only this wasn't a fanfiction, so I could see this in print form. I guess I'll have to content myself with adding this to my favorites list, eh?

Thanks for the great story.

Sincerely,

Bucken-Berry
BLitZme.2 chapter 69 . 2/1/2011
So first I would like to say I saw what Dubles was up to back in chapter 68 right away.

Second while I haves some idea where the people criticizing Hermione are coming from I do not agree at all and think that they do not really understand what she is saying. I think you portray her vary well. She wants the good she dose to be her own work. Not just boost and cleanup for someone else. She wants to help people and have an independent identity.

Though the person who pointed our Samwise was spot on two. But i can excuse Hermione for not wanting to be Harry's Sam.
30,543 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,290 1,297 1,298 1,299 1300 1,301 1,302 1,303 1,310 .. Last Next »