Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Furcas chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
Ok, that was awesome.
Meatzman2 chapter 17 . 6/6/2010
Jebas Christ I'm so fucking confused. I can follow some of the arguments, sometimes, but mostly my brain's a flip-flopping.

Your story is funny and interesting, I particularly enjoy not understanding things and having to look them up, this story has plenty of those so thanks very much. Please excuse me however if I go take a long break from it, the weirdness is making my brain hurt.
Quincy80 chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
I've read a lot of fanfiction, but I've never seen Draco crushed in such a beleivable way.

If you ever get a novel published I promise I'll buy it.

Also the new summery misuses 'and' quite a bit.

Maybe, "Along with new friends, like Hermione, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Quirrell.", "As well as new friends, like Hermione, Professor McGonagall...OminousPause and Professor Quirrell." or "Then came the Hogwarts letter, introducing strange new opportunities to exploit and new friends, like Hermione, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Quirrell. should character count be at a premium"
Peanuckle chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
Awesome. The idea of a scientific experiment being a dark ritual is kind of funny, but it does make sense. You have to sacrifice belief, and to the magical world, belief is all-important.
mionedisgized chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
First off I'd like to start by saying, this is a great fanfic! I love reading absolutely original ones, which this most definately is. What made me review however was reading your page and one part stuck out in my mind...

Albus Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard in the world, holds the Cloak and tells us that he can't make such a thing, that the art has been lost. In other words, there are non-duplicable artifacts lying around as continuing proof of the lost powers.

Just because Dumbledore can't replicate it doesn't necessarily mean the magic has been lost or forgotten. Canon has shown us that certain talents are rare and must be inherent rather than taught, ie: parseltongue, metamorphmagus...

You could even say wandlore is a lost art since the only ones mentioned in Canon are all very old (Olivander and the one that made Krum's, can't remember his name, but both are at least 100 yrs old) maybe the talent necessary to make an item such as that just hasn't appeared in the bloodlines recently?

Plus, the Peverell's were said to be true masters of their art, is it possible to duplicate a Picasso or an original Mozart score? Sure we could do it through technology, but it would never be as good as the original, perhaps it's the same with certain magical items?

Thanks for sharing your muse and I can't wait to read more!
Morbious20 chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
Awesome chapter thanks for posting it soon quickly .
Arkh Cthuul chapter 5 . 6/6/2010
Marvellous.

Nough said.
JoshuaZ chapter 1 . 6/6/2010
Excellent work as always. I'm not at all convinced that they have enough data to conclude that there's only a single gene. 6 out of 28 is barely statistically significant.

Also, it may very well be that there could be some master allele that makes people into wizards even if there were other genes that determine how strong they are as wizards. This isn't at all uncommon among complicated traits where one or two genes will determine if the trait is at all present and then a host of other genes will determine the breakdown of the trait. Hox genes would be one of the most obvious examples of this sort of thing.

If I had the data they have, I doubt I'd assign more than a 20% chance that all three hypotheses Harry has settled on (single allele determining magical strength as an on/off matter, magical strength beyond that being determined by level of practice, and loss of magical power due to loss of knowledge).

Also, as a more of a canon/plausibility issue, if magic is determined by a dominant allele then Squibs can only arise from Muggle/Wizard pairings. If that were the case, I suspect people would have noticed unless some of the Squibs have Muggle or Squib fathers and adultery is involved. I have trouble seeing how that could not have been noticed before.

Also, it seems from canon that the majority of times a Muggle marries a wizard, the offspring are wizards. But if this were correct, then that wouldn't be the case. There are some weird selection issues that can occur that could change the normal 50% chance that an allele is passed on (for example it might be that there's a high probability of children without the magic allele spontaneously aborting when born by a witch) but that sort of thing would likely also change the 1/4th thing earlier.
vicky23 chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
the story is lovely...keep it up..

p.s. i've been searching for a story quite awhile and i cant find it anywhere... so here is what i remember: harry & hermione, they fake a pregnancy, i dont remember why...for the baby bump hermione uses a pillow with magic..

contact me at:

thank you...
Treant chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
This story is very exciting! Really looking forward to the next chapter.

What will be done with Draco? Harry can't just let him get away with this as if he uses this used on another student...
jhonc chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
I read this chapter 3 times...It was simply that awesome...I beg of you to please update this soon. I love this story and every twist you add just makes my day! I really think that once you finish this story you could easily be a published author! ; )
DrE chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
Wow.. 2 amazing chapters

I especially liked chapter 22, but chapter 23 was very good as well.
Rowan Mikaio chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
Many of you suggested that too many wizards are sharing a limited supply of magic, which I also didn't think of; but this I don't consider a major branch apart from "magic is fading" (the effects are not easily distinguishable).

The biggest difference that I can see between these two scenarios is that if there is a finite supply of magic to be used, then the death eaters are still accomplishing something. Every time they kill another wizard (pureblood or muggleborn), they increase, by however small an amount, their own magical powers. Therefore, their genocide of the muggle-born and muggle-loving would actually accomplish their goals of preserving magical ability.

If magic were fading, however, then their attempts to save wizard-kind would be futile.
Sandy Popstar Pickeltry chapter 23 . 6/6/2010
I knew you could do it, my sweet lover of 40 days! I knew you could provide me with such gracious a chapter! Your unhealthy obsession with Dune, (two references throughout the story) is quite worrying, but as long as we make sweet hot and spicey love tonite, it'll be aaaaaaaaaall riiiiiiiiiite
qtar1984 chapter 22 . 6/6/2010
Also there is another thing you should consider. There is in fact a gene that is associated with being great at anything in general. and this could be a factor magical strength and skill.
23,755 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,290 1,297 1,298 1,299 1300 1,301 1,302 1,303 1,310 .. Last Next »