Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
jon58840 chapter 13 . 9/2/2011
I've come across this story in the past, and stopped at some point but have decided to give it another shot. This chapter is exceedingly amusing, with the whole concept of the game. Your Harry manages to make me feel rather dumb, despite being 6 or 7 years younger than me at this point and I'm no slouch myself if the IB Programme means anything to you. I suppose my apathy and laziness probably don't do much good for my potential. I don't think this story was quite this far when I first read it, and I don't think I even finished what was posted at that point and I look forward to seeing what will happen in the future with Harry, he seems to be trying his hand at some kind of Xanatos Gambit but in the end, he is still young and out of his depth, not to mention kind of arrogant. I suppose deviating from canon by leaving Ron in favor of Draco would fit this Harry as Ron isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, and Hermione is of course an obvious choice. The Weasley Twins seem to work well also with this rather chaotic Harry.
Goji1954 chapter 49 . 9/1/2011
Tenorman's family chili?
Work Designer chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
Loved this arc.

Chap 74 was full of awesomeness!

Chap 75 really reminded me of the "No good deed goes unpunished" trope.

But it will silence a lot of people who would have otherwise taken up arms and save snape a lot of face among the dark ones.

Quirell is really subtle. The 100 points - Brilliant. Who would ever ever believe the guy who says he's Voldemort? Is he genuinely trying to build up a determined and truly heroic army? unlike the death eaters who were a bunch of scaredy cats atmost...
tenchifew chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
Such an important chapter. Hermione falling for reverse psychology trick from Penelope was just funny. To her protection sh was rather distracted at the time. The talk between Harry and Hermione necessary, but she just was not ready to accept his arguments at this time. And the most important part of this chapter: the resolution.

I must admit I was anticipating one of three outcomes: first would be what the Slytherins were planning in the beginning of this chapter succeeding and it ending in blood, most probably Hannah's.

Second and in my opinion (and also Harry's it seems) most probable outcome would be the school administration stomping down on bullying HARD.

The Headmaster and co., in infinite wisdom, chose the third one. It was beautiful. There is a saying that no one can do more harm to a person than he himself. It was again proven to be true. If there was a contest with the goal to determine: " What can we do to antagonize Potter further and make sure he loses the rest of any good will he has towards us." This idea would be without doubt a winner. As a bonus let us stomp on Granger so hard that her trust in higher authority, till this point in time one of her core beliefs breaks completely, therefore taking this avenue of influencing Harry from us. If she breaks entirely over this (did not happen, but could were Hermione as she was just ten chapters ago) we are sure Harry will understand it, he is such a sweet boy and it is for greater good after all.

Now we have a new Hermione who has just to adapt to he new reality but I feel she is up to the task. We have a situation where Slytherins will be trying to provoke fights to get her expelled. We have Harry who will not stand for it and probably already has pegged Dumbledore firmly as Saruman just before or even after his fall, not in any way shape or form as Gandalf. We have Quirrel who probably is wondering why the hell Dumbledore is making it so easy for him.

We have Harry who probably now is sure that without major changes he wizarding Britin with it's Azkaban is not worth saving after all and if reforming it or heading for Brazilia is a better choice. And Hermione now has the potential to become a heroin or at least a damn good second in command.

But immediate reaction from Harry is what I am looking for most.

Thank ou again for continuing this brilliant story.
iphis17 chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
Well, that was fun.

~Mademise Morte
Caddy94 chapter 5 . 9/1/2011
I just started reading the story and so far it is just great. It's very funny and Harry looking at different situations scientifically just adds to the hilarity.
Dagaz1968 chapter 5 . 9/1/2011
This chapter is just too funny! It's got me laughing my butt off. Hopefully, I find it before I have to go to work tomorrow.

Thanks for the good work, Keep it up.
herstead.jgmail.com chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
The end of this chapter made me both sad at her loss and profoundly glad that Harry will finally have someone who understands at least somewhat.

And I have to say. This is the best fanfiction I have ever read and is one of my favorite ongoing stories period.
William H. Stoddard chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
Eponymuse: Actually, it's completely clear that Godric Gryffindor would not have used a C.E. date. The abbreviation is short for "Common Era," and that phrase was coined ca. 1889—according to many accounts, as an expression of courtesy to Jewish scholars who could not, for religious reasons, use "Anno Domini" ("in the Lord's year") for dates. Godric Gryffindor was centuries dead by then. On the other hand, he could perfectly well have said it *in the year that we now call 1202 C.E.*
The Monster chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
I think I mentioned this when Dumbledore first uttered the nonsense about Harry having "evil stepparents". Harry doesn't have stepparents. He has ADOPTED parents, one of whom happens to be his maternal aunt. A stepparent is someone who isn't really your parent, but they're married to your actual parent. Note that means that the only way someone can have plural stepparents at the same time is to have parents that divorced and both remarried. The Headmaster of a school ought not to be abusing the language so badly.

You've really capped off a wonderful portrait of how Authority responds when people fight back against bullies. Authority considers it an infringement upon its job, and furthermore embarrassing.
Eponymuse chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
Great chapter! Your Snape is a fascinating character.

You might want to correct this: "the question of whether it's actually is a good idea"

Gardengirl6: It's not clear whether Gryffindor would use "CE," but he almost certainly wouldn't use "AD." Very few wizards seem to have been Christian (see e.g. Chapter 61), and it seems unlikely to me that this particular Muggle phrase would be adopted by wizards. Most likely, Gryffindor didn't date using the Christian calendar at all, and the date is simply the author's addition for our convenience.
Peregrinate chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
Poor Hermione. Disillusionment is never fun.
scorpioneldar chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
damm... this is so incredible ... not sure how to respond kinda stunned by awesome
Sidelines chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
excellent chapter!
Gardengirl6 chapter 75 . 9/1/2011
It is lovely to see these frequent updates to this bewildering and mind-boggling story! And I'm glad your fund-raiser is going so well.

That said...

I know that "CE" is the current, mod, politically correct means of separating the years as counted before Christ and after his death, but seriously? Godric Gryffindor, in 1202, would NOT have used CE. He was an educated man, writing in Latin, for Pete's sake. He'd have used Anno Domini.

/End rant. That is all. It just really annoys me. But most PC things do. (especially this one, since it's not actually a different measure of time, it's just PC-ing up the nomenclature)
33,602 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,290 1,297 1,298 1,299 1300 1,301 1,302 1,303 1,310 .. Last Next »