Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Zera Silver chapter 2 . 8/29/2011
Poor Minerva instinctively knew Harry is trouble incarnate... Too bad she didn't realise exactly how much trouble... It's kinda funny that a blatant defiance of the laws of gravity isn't enough to bring the world crashing down around Harry's ears, but a violation of the law of conservation of mass is...

Biting a maths teacher who doesn't know about Logs is definitely worth the teasing you'll receive from your parents for the rest of your life...
Just Awesome Like That chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Argh.

I had Frosty The Snowman stuck in my head this entire chapter.

I blame you.
Triangular Reasoning chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Damn, Eliezer, way to redeem yourself after a so-so chapter 73. Been checking the reviews and its good to know people have stopped jumping down your neck.

I mean, forget the ethics, the donations, the legality, all that stuff, just hell of a good chapter, and love how you made characters who never really got any characterization in the original series (Daphne, Blaise, Millisent, TRACEY, etc) into such lovable and interesting characters. And congrats on hitting 100K. Not to dwell on the morality of it, but before you mentioned it here it was at 39K. In maybe four odd days its at 100K, and still rising.

Another great chapter and hope 75 is equally good, gonna be real interesting if Hermione gets jealous of Tracey. Can you say catfight?
Eternal Density chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Hilarious! (also, clever) The aftermath in particular had me giggling. And I don't normally giggle.
The Lord of Chaos chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Oh, my, what an awesome chapter, an excellent addition to an excellent fic. But you're killing me with wonder, what exactly has been going on in Snape's head?
Celestial Moonwalker chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Truthfully, I have some trouble comprehending it's not the second year yet. But it's awesome so I'll get used to it.

It's rather disturbing to realise Harry is right. I don't think the students are being taught to fight back - be they bullies, abusing authorities or DE
Joern chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Thank you for this great chapter! I guess the last two sections will keep me grinning for the rest of the day. The escalation from three to 44 bullies seems a little excessive but of course makes the win that much more awesome. I currently have no idea how the final resolving confrontation will exceed this scenario but I'm sure you'll find a way. I also liked the part about the morality of "dark" rituals and the reminder of the inherent stupidity of the wizarding world. Regarding the invoking of the chaotic gods, I would have expected association of Khorne with the right hand and Tzeentch with the left hand (dexter/sinister) but I only read a few Warhammer novels and your directions might be more appropriate.

It's great to have your stories back.
simaetha chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
This was beautiful. I especially liked Quirrell, but that last line was just *perfect*. :)

Slight criticism: the bullies work as a plot device. That said, I find your characterisation of them increasingly bizarre. I mean - in their heads, people aren't generally bullies. Chances are, they're telling themselves they're *right*: in their heads, the real problem is their victim, for being different in whatever way... and they're not bullying them, they're just teasing them a bit. It's the victim's fault if they can't take a joke. Et cetera.

So I literally cannot imagine what would go through a seventh-year's head to make them thing they ought to hunt down and beat up a first-year girl for her stated goal of preventing bullying. As I remember from school, it's pretty hard to get a seventh-year to even *notice* a first-year's existence, let alone think that said first-year is any sort of threat to them. And I'm not sure why seventh-years with enough social status to be a lieutenant in an army &c would bother to beat anyone up, instead of just saying mean things behind their back and encouraging other people to do the actual bullying for them, like bullies with social power often do. I dunno, it all just seems a bit strange.
Fenrir666 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I love the 40k references you put in this story. And the last scene? Loved it. Sometimes you forget the kids in the story are just eleven, and then-BAM! Instant hilarity!
Rufus Shinra SFFS chapter 73 . 8/29/2011
As much as it makes me sad to admit it, I quite agree with kiramythos, as it wasn't really smooth to make this donation call on (never went on DLP, so I won't speak about that part). You're one of the best authors I've had the pleasure to read, and I recommend your fic to most of the people I know, both IRL and online, but you really should have avoided that, because it could indeed be seen as "making money out of a fanfiction". And as your fic is one of the highest-profile ones on the entire internet, you can be sure someone within JKR legal team will take notice of that (if they aren't already looking at it right now, since I'm almost sure that, if DLP people really hate you, as you seem to say, they contacted the legal team, being a high-profile HP fan-site themselves). And what I fear is that legal action could start, which could cause a Cease and Desist order.

Anyway, if you're contacted by those lawyers, I only hope, as a long-standing fan of your fic (I remember when the first instance of The Game was the last chapter published, making us wait for the inevitable and yet logic explanation), that you'll be able to pursue its publishing.

Thanks for reading that. :-)
Zera Silver chapter 1 . 8/29/2011
Where to start? To be honest I have read all chapters available up onto the 29th of august 2011 and feel rather (read extremely) guilty about not having reviewed the first time through. As I feel like re-reading the absolute mastery known as HP and the methods of rationality, I will try and leave a review per chapter the second time through. This is truly one of the most amazing Harry Potter fanfictions I have ever read. Thank you for taking the time to write it for our pleasure.
Chris chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Damn, you're back on form, Eliezer!

I just about pissed myself laughing with Tracy in this chapter, the "Chaotic Tracey" bit had me in stitches, and I just had to go back to get this quote:

Daphne spun on Tracey, incensed. "You? Take Harry away from Hermione?"

"Yeah!" said Tracey. "Me!"

"You're nuts," Daphne stated with conviction. "Even if you had kissed him first, you know what that would make you? The sad little lovestruck girl who dies at the end of Act Two."

Hindsight makes it all the funnier, or maybe I just have a strange sense of humour. Great chapter, looking forward to the next bit in four days!
Delta chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
It bothers me slightly that for most of the fic (as in, about the most recent two-thirds), on the rare occasions where Draco's social skills give him the edge over Harry, he doesn't have a good way of using that fact. I don't like the idea of him just being a foil.

That said, he is an AWESOME, HILARIOUS foil, and he is very, very good at minimising his losses.

The new chapter actually made me laugh out loud multiple times. I don't usually do that with fiction (that includes most of your fiction).
LM1991 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
That was FANTASTIC. I laughed like crazy... I liked the thing about Tracy 'eating' Parkinson's soul best... and that wail at the end of the chapter! Funny... Please update soon!
Nancy Lebovitz chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Lots of good stuff in the chapter, so I'm going to mention something no one else has- apparently even Quirrelmort can be driven to depression by grading student papers.
33,296 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,291 1,298 1,299 1,300 1301 1,302 1,303 1,304 1,311 .. Last Next »