Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
CognitiveDisconuts chapter 72 . 6/29/2011
This was one of the most entertaining and engrossing pieces of literature I have ever read. More importantly, I don't think any text I've read, including those from school, has been allowed to be learn such interesting material so effortlessly. I love your work, and all that I have been able to learn from it.

I eagerly await the next release!
TempestDash chapter 72 . 6/29/2011
This story continues to be excellent, and I enjoyed the games within games we glimpsed at in this chapter.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties of continuing to write each chapter of such a massive epic. I know too well of the phenomenon myself, so I won't belabor the point. I only like to wish you luck and hope you find your muse again.

Thanks for the read!
egg chapter 68 . 6/29/2011
You really have to find a way to do this full-time; I'm Jonesing for a new chapter.
egg chapter 70 . 6/29/2011
even after all this time, I still have not found a typo; that's impressive.
egg chapter 48 . 6/29/2011
What is going on with Quirrelmort?
egg chapter 66 . 6/29/2011
Super Hufflpuff! LOL!
Marc chapter 72 . 6/29/2011
I burned so many hours on your story, it's not even funny-I read MoR for a couple days straight until it was finished.. first fanfic I have ever read... and probably the last, can it get much better? Aside from a few places that went a little too fanboy ("the enemy's gate is sideways" made me cringe) it's been great reading your book. Hire an editor and publish it. JK Rowling commands it. You can have the profits go to a charity that she'd be proud of, but seriously: this story deserves that kind of popular recognition. Please update immediately after reading this post. And please read this post today.
Icis of Avalon chapter 5 . 6/29/2011
This chapter was absolutely amazing! I laughed so hard my sides hurt. The scene with Lucius and McGonagall was truly inspired.
Ma chapter 1 . 6/29/2011
If I review the entire book in this chapter review, is that okay? I love this story so very, very much. It makes me endlessly happy. I possibly like it more than the real Harry Potter. I will have to be more specific about writing techniques to improve upon later, because right now the only thing I can think of asking is... "when is the next chapter coming out?" I LOVE THIS!

And thank you for dedicating your time towards this noble endeavour. :)

MA
Kent chapter 72 . 6/29/2011
I'm loving reading this fic. Keep it going, I can't wait for more. Thanks for keeping the Harry Potter story alive, while adding a great number of twists.
Michael Costello chapter 72 . 6/29/2011
Great work as usual! I really liked the Gurren Lagann reference. Next chapter, the girls will have to use a Giga Drill Break spell :P
Kristina chapter 42 . 6/28/2011
Lupin's lying to cover up the animagi thing, right? Because Sirius/Peter works, but only if done really, really well, and I don't think that's where you want to take this. On a separate note, I can't wait for this Harry to find out Lupin is a werewolf. "Wait, so you turn into a wolf every full moon? What if you portkeyed across 12 time zones to somewhere where it was already sunrise, would that solve it? Or what if we send you to Mars? What if we blow up the moon?"

This story is fantastic.
Lion's Tooth chapter 5 . 6/28/2011
loving the humor of this story...
Dragonfree chapter 72 . 6/28/2011
Phew. All caught up.

Well. This has been one of the most enjoyable pieces of fanfiction I have ever read, and though I usually can't catch up with anything more than a dozen chapters in, here I am having finished this monster, which speaks mountains of your ability to keep me engaged.

I can't say it's educated me per se, but that's because after first discovering this story (after seeing the paragraph where Harry hypothesizes Comed-Tea is omnipotent quoted and being so intrigued I had to Google it to see where it was from), one of the first things I did was go to your profile and then click the link to the sequences on Less Wrong. Then I spent several months on and off devouring post after post and watching you rapidly ascend up my list of Favorite People for so accurately phrasing things I've been thinking for years and taking those thoughts even farther. And only after that had been going on for a while did I finally go and actually read the fic. As a result, most of what Harry has been saying has been rather familiar, and I'd fully expected that.

What I didn't fully expect was how richly you've developed every other character's philosophy on life, too; rather than being caricatures designed solely to be inferior to Harry, practically everyone's position makes sense from their point of view, especially Professor Quirrell (who has to be the most exquisitely, poisonously convincing villain I have ever read about). No character is just stupid and obviously wrong, as one would ordinarily expect in a work dedicated to spreading any kind of gospel, and it really helps make things interesting. All in all this fic's plot feels through-and-through intelligent, not just like intellectual preaching for one particular thing.

I also noticed with glee that, instead of changing Rowling's vague, lawless magic system into something more obviously rational, you embrace its ludicrousness. I expected just as much as Harry did that changing the pronunciation of a spell wouldn't actually change whether it worked in your universe, but you challenged yourself by keeping it firmly bizarre and running with it anyway. The result of this and other instances where you embrace the canon rather than try to squeeze it into a more rational box where it doesn't fit is that the fic actually retains a lot of the original Potter flavor despite the drastic changes in tone, style, plot, pacing, etc.

That said, where you do take liberties with the canonical worldbuilding, you do it well. Your version of Dementors in particular is marvelous, both the sheer amount of sense it makes both internally and with respect to canon and the beautiful way you set up the realization; I will never be able to think of them as symbolizing anything other than death itself again.

Finally, you've achieved what only some authors can, to create a real emotional connection to what is going on in the story. I felt the sheer horror of Azkaban as you wrote about it (my favorite arc of the story), and one of my personal favorite scenes is where Draco has called forth his Patronus for the first time thinking of his father - that you can make Draco Malfoy of all people (and that after he's casually talked about raping a ten-year-old girl) produce an emotional reaction in the reader when he thinks of his really rather vile father is pretty mindboggling. Not to mention the casting of the True Patronus, one of the very most powerful fictional moments I've experienced.

Also, it's hilarious. But I'm sure everyone tells you that and not sure I have anything particularly personal to say about it.

If you'll forgive me for grammar-naziing a little, it does bug me that you have a lot of comma splices in many chapters, which can really take me out of it.

And this is way too long already so I should wrap it up by saying thanks for writing this, thanks for writing all those sequences on Less Wrong, and thanks for being all-around one of the awesomest human beings in the universe.
nitpicker chapter 72 . 6/28/2011
"Oh, I quite agree," murmured Snape in a low tone, instinct with menace. "They shouldn't have. I begin to wonder if Mr. Malfoy, whatever his plotting, has a point, Astorga. It cannot be good for the repute of Slytherin's House if our fighters, rather than demonstrating their strength, lose to little girls!" Snape's voice had risen. "It is well that you had the good taste to be defeated by a little girl who is a fellow Slytherin of a Noble House, Astorga, or I would deduct points from you myself!"

I would say that "instinct with menace" should be "distinct with menace," but then how would you justify "murmured?"
32,479 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,294 1,301 1,302 1,303 1304 1,305 1,306 1,307 1,314 .. Last Next »