Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Eponymuse chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I've really enjoyed reading this fan fic! The ever-twisting plot is fascinating, as are the discussions of important psychological studies in the real world, and the way you've illuminated magic in Harry's universe. Many of the characters are also compelling, particularly Harry, Draco, and Quirrel, though Dumbeldore isn't as believable as the others, probably because his apparent level of sanity varies so widely. Hopefully this was planned from the beginning, and will be explained, but for now it seems like your idea of Dumbeldore has changed a little too drastically since you started writing.

My greatest gripe with your story is the occasional (stylistic?) use of present tense in descriptions, and the overuse of sentence fragments and run-on sentences. Perhaps these are just part of the fan fic genre, but the abuse of grammar doesn't seem to _add_ anything, and it is so straightforward to fix...

I don't mind the fact that everyone and everything in your story is much larger than life, and that the stakes seem much higher than in the original stories. I am, however, very impressed with how well you've managed to balance the characters against their conflicts, while still letting enough childishness show through the younger characters to give them a human side.

I'm looking forward to the coming chapters! Thanks for continuing to write!
Runecutter chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
What a devious, devilish mind you posess.

I've cried tears of laughter and sat with my mouth wide open in the face of utter, brillant awesomeness! I guess there's not much more following up in regards to S.P.H.E.W.? Because my mind simply fails to grasp any way this storyline cculd possibly get even better.

And amused!Quirrell is outright scary.
KuMardagg chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Hooooly cow, this has been the best chapter since #5.

While reading Tracey's "ritual" the hair on my arms stood up! That has only happened 2 times in all my years reading FF.

Especially when she started invoking 4 Chaos Patrons using their Dark Tongue names.

And then later in the same chapter I was struggling to keep my laughter silent.

Well done!
Kd7sov chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
You, sir, are quite talented. Not only do you manage humor and spectacle quite well, but you have managed to keep me enjoying Dumbledore's part in this story, even sympathizing with him to some degree, while disagreeing with his expressed opinions on a growing list of subjects.

Which is not to say I entirely agree with Harry in this discussion - my personal view is that while Light should always overcome Dark, there are often more effective and less disruptive methods than direct combat - but that I can look forward to the next appearance of characters with whom I disagree so much speaks well of your skill.
Blurr chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
"And if, come that day, you still think that evil must never pass unchallenged"

I think your portrayal of Dumbledore here is a bit unrealistic. assuming Dumbledore's philosophy truly is to overlook small evils in order to prevent them from developing into (in his mind) bigger ones, it is highly unlikely that the way he would phrase this would be that "evil" should "pass unchallenged". He'd probably use a more euphemized word than "evil", for example.

As it is, the phrase essentially presumes it's own guilt- built into Dumbledore's own argument is an assumption that Dumbledore is wrong, which is all well and fine for Harry except it doesn't make sense.

Even if you disagree with your dumbledore's ideas, you should make that slightly less obvious to us as the readers by letting Dumbledore defend his approach in an actual, defensible manner.
SlickRCBD chapter 73 . 8/29/2011
Dumbledore is an enabler of both the bullies and the Death Eaters. That philosophy of preventing escalation by letting the bad guys victimize people and training the victims to take it without complaint is something that ticks me off to no end. "If you don't fight back like that, it's not an incident".

Angers me. The problem is the 44 students who are attacking the first years. They should be expelled. They should not be focusing on the fact that they felt the need to do so because the first years aren't rolling over and being good victims.

Unfortunately, Dumbledore's reaction is spot on for my experiences in school. I'll never understand it. They act like the bully's behavior is acceptable, unless of course the would-be victims try to treat the bullies the same way. Then the victims get punished. The victims also get punished for "allowing it to escalate". It's like there are different standards of behavior for both the victims and the bullies.
randomsample chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I really like the discussion of rituals, it's always fun to see more re-imagining and clarifying of your take on what magic is and how it works for !wizards.
tenchifew chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Awesome, awesome chapter. Each time I hear the incantation for the Giga Slave I feel that certain tingling inside. And here we have the Warhammer Chaos Gods evoked too. And Eldritch Evil. Must not forget Eldritch Evil. It is probably very, very good the ritual only asked for Harry's presence. Otherwise it just might have worked. Kidding. Or not.

This chapter so very, very good.

Dunmbledore's philosophy is... understandable... and one of the reasons last war was effectively lost. It is the let them hit the other cheek policy that frankly infuriates me. The escalation could get bad if the bullies are not yet scared shitless, but if headmaster prefers to punish people who are defending themselves and others and not 44 bullies who were attacking 8 first year girls then all the potential blood, and it could come to that if I am reading signs clearly, is on his hands.

Brilliant story! Thank you for writing.
Guest chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Pure gold. I laughed until I cried.
Kudou Shinichi chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I would have come up with something insightful to say if I wasn't snerkling too hard to think.
UncleTravellingZek chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
First mention of Ron Weasley in... How many chapters? All is right in the world.
ev11 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
i totally understand dumbledore i cannot think of a way to describe that chapter it was horrifying in its content and delivery. i have re-read half a dozen times and still I'm affected by it. The initial intrigue of the ritual the comedy when i realised it was referencing eldritch gods a sure sign of harry but then the visible effects i assumed it must be quirrel but the specific mention of the charms i fell flat realising it might be serious. Then when harry said maybe they didn't need to die... the following moment of comedy hit like a freight train. I think ill stop here or ill break the character limit but if the rest of the chapters are even half this good id happily give the entirety of the remaining money myself.
Raeigh chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I guess that Dumbledore's conversation with Harry offers an explanation as to why Snape was working with the bullies. He could have been thinking along the same lines as Dumbledore and was trying to restore the "natural order". Of course there are other explanations too but I have to go to class now. Loved this chapter!
MegaF0nz chapter 7 . 8/29/2011
Brilliant story. I cant stop reading. Looking forward to catching up and seeing where this story leads!
Zicou chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Awesome chapter, I loved it, and its endig.. even more :)

Continuuuuuuuuuuuuuue,

Z.
33,398 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,294 1,301 1,302 1,303 1304 1,305 1,306 1,307 1,314 .. Last Next »