Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Nikhil chapter 42 . 8/30/2010
:) oh, very nice. Fandom paean indeed.
some guy in canada chapter 42 . 8/30/2010
It feels wrong for Harry to have used the word "lovers" in this context. "Boyfriends" would be more plausible.
aaronmicalowe chapter 42 . 8/30/2010
reading this is like mental relaxation and springcleaning at the same time. when loading the chapter the first thing i check is the size of the scroll bar, hoping it'll be thin :o)
mattymp153 chapter 5 . 8/30/2010
that was stupendous and utterly awesome! i love how harry talks to mr malyfoy and malfoy talks to magonagal priceless -
senpuki chapter 42 . 8/30/2010
Did Professor Quirrell jinx Harry? That would follow cannon. It's suspicious that Quirrell asked to be at such a risky endeavor, even if he did ask for a back up adult. How was Quirrell able to recover so quickly from magically knocking down 200 hundred students? Perhaps Quirrell didn't knock them down! Perhaps, somebody else (my bet's on Snape) tried to rescue Harry by breaking everybody's eye contact, and he happened to knock Quirrell down in the process. That would be pretty close to cannon - minus Hermione's involvement and suspicion of Snape. Oh, but that doesn't work! Why would Quirrell feel secure enough to take credit for the save?

It's so difficult following where you diverge from the plot and where you're sticking to it but have misdirected our attention. Sorry to be spilling out all my messy thoughts, your story makes me over-think. All my favorite stories do. :)

I like the way your Lupin is similar to 3rd-year cannon Lupin: the shabby dignity and his role as a gentle mentor. Have you actually made Lupin a Hufflepuff? Or is that Harry's assumption? Not that his house matters, but perhaps Lupin has another reason to not use house elves.

I like Lupin's definition of courage. But does your Pettigrew actually have that kind of courage? And how did Black/Pettigrew's affair end?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle Lupin's lycanthropy.

Thanks for such an engaging read!
deloriantimewizard chapter 42 . 8/29/2010
feels like someone else is writing this story now.

harry/hermione feels completely forced.

what started off with great promise has unfortunately turned into a run of the mill story. shame.

and SLASH immediately makes me stop reading stories when it doesn't make any sense (like you fucking with history here) and so, after countless recommendations to this fic, and as well the entire wiki of LESS WRONG, I bid you goodbye.
Anonymous chapter 42 . 8/29/2010
Beautifully done. Clever use of third person perspective and technical language to objectively establish this world, while leaving the reader to discern the meaning of events for themselves. Gently satirical in its implications, and responsive to key issues of patrons on this site. Huh.

I'm not sure I understand the criticisms about this chapter being pro-gay. It appears to present a balanced perspective through its comic portrayal of homophobes, allies, and the female psyche.

That being said... please make good on your prior threat to hook Draco up with McGonagall if one more person asked for H/D. At least one person would be entertained ;)
Takai153 chapter 42 . 8/29/2010
Well, this is one for the yaoi fans. Seriously, I think the chapter name should have been 'Yaoi Fangirls Unite!':p I mean first we have the hilarious beginning with the girls making Draco drop Harry and them interpreting it as show of affection between the two, then we have the sad truth of Peter's murder. I did NOT see that one coming; great twist and a touching story. Keep up the awesome work and please update as soon as you can! (and regarding updates, I'm sure you will be so lucky)
him-mione chapter 42 . 8/29/2010
oooh, twist! I don't think I've ever seen a Peter/Sirius pairing before.

An interesting way to present the magical world's views on homosexuality-I would have thought (and indeed, many FF authors) that the very conservative (stuck in the middle ages) wizarding world would not be as accepting of homosexuality, especially with such a small population to begin with. Harry says that "only the dumb" muggles hate homosexuality, meaning he thinks that enlightened, intelligent people don't have any issue with it...

I'm trying to understand your giving the wizarding world the position that Harry thinks is more intelligent, when people in the wizarding world do some batshit stupid things (like not asking "why?" when presented with a problem). I myself am gay, but I'm curious why so many pureblood children think being homophobic is a bizarre piece of BS propaganda, instead of a view point people actually hold as true
Inuyasha's God sis chapter 25 . 8/29/2010
Particularly loved this chapter. Fred and George moments are meant to be shared and you have shared quite splendidly!

Is Ron going to continue being a prat and remain out of the story?

Yasha's Sis
som chapter 42 . 8/29/2010
lolwut. black is gay...
CPAnthoni chapter 42 . 8/29/2010
Wow, this is twisty! I am fascinated by what is different from canon and what is the same.
Cecelia chapter 41 . 8/29/2010
Isn't the lighting charm "lumos," not "luminos"?
The Prise Fighter chapter 11 . 8/29/2010
ePic lawls on the KHAAAAAAN!

cracked me up that wot et ded
jdboss1 chapter 41 . 8/29/2010
Whether you like or dislike same-sex romance, adding it at such a late chapter does nothing but undermine and overshadow your established rationalist theme with 'SLASH' because it is such a hot-button issue in our current society. I don't want SLASH, I want to read great insightful moments of rationalism. They are plenty of other fics with good SLASH, but only one fic with good rationalist Harry. Please don't ruin it.

I don't want to see Draco and Harry kiss. I don't want Hermione and Daphne to compare breast development vs age with transfigured Poisson charts. I don't want a pedo-orgy of 11 year olds. I don't want elaborate descriptions of wizarding dildos, cannibalism, or rape. Just keep writing that rationalist story I like and avoid blatant sexual issues until main character age fourteen (at minimum). Being shocking is not the same as being interesting, and it turns off more readers than it brings in.

No slash. NO slash. No slash. NO slash. NO slash. PLEASE No slash. NO slash.

Love Hermione in this Chapter
26,175 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,296 1,303 1,304 1,305 1306 1,307 1,308 1,309 1,316 .. Last Next »