Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
loonyphoenix chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Uh... That sounds... ominous :)

Very cool chapter, thank you.
Guest chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Interesting conclusion to the chapter. I wonder what you and Mr. Hat and Cloak have planned. As always, I look forward to more. Thanks for writing!
Fresh C chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
This was a weird chapter. I'm mostly just afraid that you're going to instantly switch away from this new development with Hermione.

SPOILERS

Also, I hope that she really is a muggleborn because that was kind of the point of her character. She was basically the anti-thesis to pureblood supremacy in cannon...

But now that I think about it, you already explained that all mugleborns are actually distantly related to some witch or wizard through recessive genes, so I guess she can still be related to Merlin and be a muggleborn.

I guess there's nothing to do but see where this goes.

On an unrelated note I enjoyed the depth you added to Goyle's character in this chapter. And it seems as if Malfoy is officially out of his league. Eventually he's going to either have to give up some of his influence, give up some of his morals, or take a level in badass.

Also I think that both Dumbledore and Harry have a point. It's unreasonable to believe that Dumbledore couldn't have simply stopped the bullying before it became such a problem that first years had to deal with it. Dumbledore seems intent on treating symptoms instead of the problems themselves.

Harry however, does seem to have a disregard for the consequences of his actions. He seems to think that he can deal with the blow out of anything that happens. That's not a realistic world view either.

But hey, they'd be a bunch of Gary Stus if they weren't flawed in some visible way.
Fangren chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
"Hello again, Hermione," the kindly whisper emanated from the white glow behind the veil. "I've been sent to help you, so please don't be afraid. My name is Myrlirrien, and I am your servant in all things; for you, my Lady, are the last magical descendant of Merlin."

I read this, and thought that Hermione is either a double-witch, or someone is going to great lengths to mess with her. Or, now that I think about it, both.

Keep up the good work.
jollygreendragon chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Ahahahahaha! I'm just waiting for the other foot to drop - y'know, the one where you say something that's supposed to be true, and that everyone's supposed to believe, and they go "Oh, it's obviously Quirrel or Harry that did it," and there's not a thing in the verse you can do to convince them otherwise because they're so used to plots within plots.

Loving the story so far, though.
tenchifew chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Why oh why do I not believe the black/ now white/ thing at all.

And Dumbledore really should not be the headmaster. Really, really not.
Nancy Lebovitz chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Dumbledore's job is running a school to teach magic. Protecting students is subsidiary to that.

I think this is clearer in canon where the work of learning and teaching magic is more in the foreground, but Dumbledore is willing to let students get hurt in the course of learning, so long as the net effect is strongly towards there being more magicians.

It isn't obvious that Harry has said anything about the importance of protecting students which is likely to convince Dumbledore. Harry is just making assertions. Assertions which I agree with, but I wonder if it would help to mention that people learn better when they aren't distracted by being bullied.

Minor point: It isn't possible to hiss "What?". You need s sounds.

I can't even manage a bet with myself about whether Hermione will turn out to be the last magical heir of Merlin. The easy bet would be "No, it's nonsense", but that seems too easy. Ok, I do have a bet. She really is the last magical heir of Merlin, but it doesn't mean what you think it does.
Dinner chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Uhmmm, that last sentence left me stupid... My brain must have fried or something...

Awesome chapter but that last sentence really screwed it up...
BerserkSlash chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Hahahaha, so it loses and decides to hit the reset button and hopes that Hermione is too giddy about that kind of idea to shoot it down as well.
Beazore chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
You'll never have any idea how happy I was that you started posting again, I was screaming and jumping around so much I woke my baby sister lol and chapter 75 is awesome you got over the block spectacularly well
Guest chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
So this is how Quirrell is going to force open hostilities to start? Make Hermione disappear, force everyone's hand.

Unintentionally, I was listening to dark ambient music while reading this. It fit well enough that I didn't pause it. Well done.
StalkerAngel chapter 6 . 9/3/2011
THE LAST PARAGRAPH! 333
R. Donald James Gauvreau chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Another nice chapter, as always. Good to see that Dumbledore is able to hold his own and does still have some wisdom that Harry doesn't. The collection of wands and other items was a very nice touch. Loved it. Poor Dumbles. What a horror it's got to be, to be running a war and be able to care for each individual person under your command. I'm reminded of Ender's Game, and the problem that Battle School was created to address.

And Quirrelmort continues to be awesome even when he's not in the room and Harry's just talking about him.

I know that you won't, since your experiences won't back up what I'm saying, but I'd appreciate a few qualifiers in your comments about DLP. Yes, people probably need to be wary about DLP if they're newcomers but the forum -can- give some good advice. If somebody asked me if they should accept the "polite invitation" I would suggest that they take a brief look at DLP, especially in the thread where they outright mention some of the things that they hate, and make sure that none of that is in their story.

I'm hardly the most prolific poster on DLP but I consider myself to be a member of the forum and so I'd like to say that some of us, at least, are polite and like your fic. It's the 4chan and /b/ phenomenon again, where we get a bad rep because the /b/tards represent outsiders' views of the community because they're so much noisier than /x/, /tg/ and other, usually-nicer boards.

I'll also say that DLP's harshness, while harsh, isn't always bad. I've posted my share of stories to DLP and I honestly got some of the best criticism from the most flamey and aggressive posts. Without DLP's "You're an idiot and this, this, and this all prove it" approach I'd be quite aways behind where I am in developing my writing abilities.

DLP isn't for everybody, but it isn't all bad, either.
threecankeepasecret chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
About an hour ago, I finished watching an episode of Doctor Who I'd been told was 'absolutely terrifying' and barely raised an eyebrow at it.

Then I read the last five paragraphs of this, and hooooooly crap. How many times did Hermione go through this? How many times did whoever's behind it have to Obliviate her?

And then, of course, there's the fact that if Hermione had to be put through this, I dunno, 20 times, and called it BS every time, she's by far the best and smartest character in the fic. Not Harry.
Peregrinate chapter 76 . 9/3/2011
Oh god. If you're keeping to your golden rule, then I'd hate to see what new force is going to rise up for this. And by hate, I mean, I can't wait.
33,789 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,297 1,304 1,305 1,306 1307 1,308 1,309 1,310 1,317 .. Last Next »