Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
finite chapter 72 . 7/16/2011
WHERE IS RON? Who cares about Draco?
Bittersweet Freedom chapter 33 . 7/16/2011
OH MY GOD.

So many Ender's Game references. And you even had a Death Note one earlier. XD

I love you. 3
Charlotte chapter 1 . 7/16/2011
I'm a Chinese. It's a little hard for me to read your fic and to write the review. I'v read a translation of chapter 1 and then got interested in your fic.I'll work it my best.
m chapter 18 . 7/15/2011
One question one might ask is: if the answers were NOT in the textbook, how could Hermione know them? Surely, she couldn't have had acces to the Hogwards Library before the school year, so how could she learn concepts that were not even mentioned in passing in their syllabus?
Ruin Dun Burnit chapter 24 . 7/15/2011
The Great and All-Power Mr Wrong,

I have been reading this fic for a long while now, and I've only reviewed now. Sorry about that.

I will review the other chapters in due time, but I just wanted to take this opportunity by the balls to say this, whether someone has already done so or not.

"Ah... the obligatory Death Note reference... I'd never thought we'd sink that low."

There, done. No regrets!

I'm loving this so far, this is brilliant. You must make this available to be sold in book form, if you can, and have most of the money go to a charity, with J.K's approval (just need to get that first). The rest of the money can fund the actual publication and printing, that sort of thing - unless you're already minted, in which case, you shouldn't be a tighhtwad and must therefore give all to charity if possible. Ah well, just a suggestion.

Thanks, oh Omniscient one!

Ruin Takada

P.S. It is one of my goals to write a Death Note/Harry Potter fic, and it'd be great if you could find time to give hints and helps every now and again. If you could, that would be simply awesome.

P.P.S. I find it is common courtesy to read and review at least one fic written by a reviewer. I know most (if not all) of my stories are Death Note fics, but I'd appreciate it if you could.
bleeerrrrgh chapter 6 . 7/15/2011
this positively one of the best HP fics in its category. iwould say the best of all but its not in the same category as one of the others i really like
Sylkie chapter 1 . 7/14/2011
I didn't make it to far into the first chappie. Got intimidated by the fancy word'n in the author's note. Feel'n rather brain dead the moment...long day. Might try to read another time. Thank you for writing!
Materia-Blade chapter 39 . 7/14/2011
This chapter has given me a very very strong urge to write a fanfic in which Voldemort is converted to christianity. Lulz. A rather marvelous one at that.
Anon aka Chicken chapter 72 . 7/14/2011
Incredible.

Incredible. I have only ever read one fanfiction which was in the remote same LEAGUE as this (obviously Deathnote.) The complexity of this piece-coz lets face it working with time is a pain-and the sheer amount of scientific application to magic.

I love all of the changes you have made to the series. The magical paintball fights? Hilarious. And Harry's speech before the first battle("The truth is, most of you are probably going to die") is priceless.

I like the more frequent encounters with Minerva, she was truly quite a waste of a good character in canon, and the relationship which is develiping between her and Harry is both amusing(because she totally knows that he's evil, she just doesn't realise how evil). As is the strange friendship between Harry and Draco, Harry and Hermione and, well, Harry and everyone.

Huzzah for an evil(-ish) Dumbledore, he's even more fuddy-duddy than in canon.

Gotta admit, I don't understand alot of the more scientific references, but that's alright. I never do anyway.

I have noticed that it's been a while since you last updated. Please, please, please, don't stop writing this fic. It truly is priceless, and for those of us who have just come to the realisation that Harry Potter is now over, as the last movie just came out, we need fanfiction to keep us living.

Please don't ever give up on this.
Megan McAlistair chapter 14 . 7/14/2011
wow, my Comed-tea theory wasn't too wrong (well, not too far besides Harry's theory, nothing has been disproven)

except I focused it on the seller, not the tea itself, huh
The Ark chapter 72 . 7/14/2011
I've read the entire fanfic up to chapter 72, and I have lots of comments about various chapters, so i'll just post the whole lot at the end. First off, I liked the premise a lot; it seemed like a great opportunity to develop Potter-verse a bit and reveal some of the flaws in Rowling's own way of writing. It seems a bit like a reverse version of 'The Science of Discworld' (where the wizards of Unseen University used to a world ruled by magic and 'purpose' create our own universe)

I liked the way you portrayed the total unravelling of physics by a single act of transfiguration (I liked the bit of physics you slipped in about how violating conservation of energy wrecks the energy operator in the quantum hamiltonian, and practically unravels most of Quantum Theory, allows for FTL, in turn wrecking Special and General Relativity) but I was surprised by how quickly Harry got over the shock.

The passage in Chapter 7 discussing Luna Lovegood makes Malfoy seem a little too evil and it doesn't seem to fit well with the rest of his character.

The introduction of the student armies was welcome and added some drama to the Fic's earlier chapters, but it seemed as though there were too many small subplots up to Humanism I, and mysteries that the reader might have forgotten about as it went on (e.g. who is 'Santa Claus' and Mr. Coat and Hat?)

I really liked the chapter on partial transfiguration, because it points out something that genuinely makes no sense in the 'Laws of magic' and then proceeds to fix it by the power of... Science! After that point, I felt the story improving and gaining more direction and momentum. The way you revealed JK Rowling's obsession with cliches in Pretending to Be Wise, and the hard-headed utilitarian way Harry deals with them was excellent, and there could easily be more of that criticism in the story. Very Discworld.

I absolutely loved the Dementor encounter and the idea of a Humanist Patronus; your description of Harry's 'happy thought' - of humanity expanding and spreading across the universe - was very moving. I really appreciate the extensive use of Enlightenment ideals, and the way you showed their strength compared to unthinking, unconsidered 'happiness'. The way you embodied this as a 'true Patronus' was very clever, and it also undermines the main theme of the real Harry potter, which is that death should be 'accepted'.

Quirrell suddenly persuading Harry to rescue Bellatrix was very unexpected and I'm surprised that rationalist Harry fell for his scheme so quickly, but it gave an excuse to depict Azkaban so who cares? I liked the Azkaban chapters (I don't think that modern Muggle britain would be politically able to have a prison that tortures it's inhabitants, whatever Quirrell might say - so that's at least one way Wizards are socially inferior) , but I am surprised that they weren't spotted or noticed at some point by Dumbledore.

Their method of escape, using a rocket attached to a Nimbus 2000, was VERY entertaining and It gave another opportunity to depict the way broomstick magic works (aristotelian or 'intuitive') and it's conflict with rocketry physics that almost destroyed their jury-rigged flying contraption.

The way the rescue petered out, with all the 'aftermaths' seemed to drag on a bit and you might not need all of them - eventually it became a little tedious, and the complex Time-turning was hard to follow (although I liked the way the Department for Magical Law enforcement tied itself in knots trying to understand the rescue). I think it's premature to comment on the most recent chapters because I can't quite see where the story's leading next.

I hope the review's been useful and constructive. I'm not really an arty type and I don't expect a character, but could I request that you include 'Ark' as the name of a place or thing somewhere later on in the fanfic? Is it strictly Fan art only for any inclusion.
RSS chapter 72 . 7/14/2011
I tried, I really did. But this story is just not for me. Your AU just does not sit well with me. I guess I am of the no triono like club. No...just...no.
Caelistis.Rydraline chapter 5 . 7/14/2011
I don't usually review stories before finishing them, but the fact that I'm in tears from laughing makes it nessesary, I think. .

I'd just like to say that this is bloody brilliant, both the writing and the idea.
Dr M Oxford University chapter 6 . 7/13/2011
I really like JK Rowling's Harry Potter. However, I would happily MARRY yours.
Megan McAlistair chapter 12 . 7/13/2011
"As if it had altered history to fit?"

Hypothesis: an entity that moves backwards through time has set up Comed-Tea as a business idea, selling the magically vanishing tea just the right way to just the right people at just the right time that every time a can is drunk something would simultaneously occur that would make them choke on it

in which case it would be the seller and not the tea itself

Wild Fan Speculation: Harry will one day figure out all the rules of magic, including Time-Turners, he will figure it's a great way to make money, and become that entity previously mentioned
32,691 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,298 1,305 1,306 1,307 1308 1,309 1,310 1,311 1,318 .. Last Next »