Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
madeyemarauder chapter 16 . 8/29/2011
Terrific lesson. Is it Tom/Quirinus transfiguration which is wearing him out?
75th chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Great chapter, as always.

I feel like Dumbledore missed an obvious opportunity to make Harry second-guess himself here. If it were me, I would have said something like this:

“I am given to understand that earlier this year you learned a hard lesson on how to lose. Forgive me, Harry, but you seem to have a great deal yet to learn about WHEN to lose.”
Jonathan chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
At this point I am wondering how the wards that supposedly protect the students could possibly work such that they could allow the chaos that has happened so far, but somehow protect a student from actually dying. Surely there was a danger of someone dying with that many curses and whatever the fuck Quirrell did flying around that hallway. The only idea I have is that it is a com-ed-tea like effect that only activates if a student has actually died in the near future, but then it couldn't be stopped and remain self consistent.
narutonejii chapter 45 . 8/29/2011
Harry's human patronus and the inner-monologue that followed - it was beautiful, and I teared.
the.STARS.and.I.say.GOODBYE chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Hahahaha. "Tracy ate my soul!"
Psilontech chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
One of the best chapters you've put out in some time, I enjoyed it thoroughly and cackled on multiple occasions.

Keep up the good work sir, and I look forward to your next update!
Robinola chapter 64 . 8/29/2011
Actually, Neo, the machines run on solar power, in a lovely space station orbiting the sun, far from the wreck of the earth. They keep us alive in a nesting set of dream worlds, wherein every time you escape, the next one is worse, for the specific purpose of torturing any of us smart enough to be able to notice, to be like the scientists who created them. That's why it's so shitty out here, and why you can stop those swimmy robots, because you are about to realize this is another level of the matrix. Because the robots hate us too much to kill us, it would be too fast, they have to torture us. Forever, Neo.
Clark chapter 73 . 8/29/2011
"Harry had divided up eight of his soldiers among the other armies, as ordered; he'd voluntarily given up two Chaotic Lieutenants, sending Dean Thomas to Dragon Army and then trading Seamus Finnigan to her for Blaise Zabini, who Harry had said was being "underutilized" in Sunshine. Lavender had elected to join most of SPHEW in Sunshine; Tracey had decided to stay with Chaos."

I cannot will till we see the next battle, Blaise and Harry are going to be a helluva force to be reckoned with.
Triangular Reasoning chapter 22 . 8/29/2011
Wait, I just realized, if the enunciation and pronunciation of words is so important, then wouldn't wizards with strong accents (e.g. cockney, especially those that don't pronounce H's (think Hagrid always going: "'ello, 'arry, 'ow are you?") Mean that some spells are simply mispronounced and thus they shouldn't be able to do them as effectively? E.g. if you are from one of the regions of Britain that implies the H and you try to cast Alohomora, and you go alo'omora.

Ugh, curse the methods of rationality for making me think so hard about this...
Through Another's Eyes chapter 5 . 8/29/2011
OH MY GOD! This is absolutely amazing! Brilliant! I'm only on chapter 5, but I'm addicted. The whole idea of Harry Potter being... well, like you've made him be, is just amazing! What's more, this story is genuinely original. That's saying something, considering the half a million Harry Potter fanfics on

I absolutely cracked up at the whole Harry Potter/Draco Malfoy exchange! That was seriously a stroke of genius! And Draco Malfoy saying that he wanted to be Sorted into /Gryffindor/! Oh my...

This story is so definitely going on my favourites' list.

~~Through Another's Eyes
Spidey-phd chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
ROFL. Loved the ending!
Me chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA this story is so brilliant and if it gets any better I'm going to explode-
tyrannosaurus-hex chapter 66 . 8/29/2011
I am glad to see Harry finally mature slightly in his relationship with Quirrell and not continue to blindly accept everything he says even when he is quick to doubt his friends, like the incident with Draco and the story of his mother.
Zargon chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Wow. Okay, now I'm interested to find out what happens next, since Dumbledore thinks that the bullies cannot learn that lesson.

Obviously, Harry isn't ever going to back down, and if the bullies won't either... Hmm.
Chargone chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
the funny is... excessive.

i can't even really say what the best part was! :S

the last line was a perfect ending though :D

(I am, however, hoping that Tracy doesn't truly believe what she's saying. the bit about eating souls makes it seem more worrisome if she does, but less likely. Chaos legion and all that... it's hard to tell where the line is between 'this action makes a delightful mess of everyone else's ability to track reality' and 'the person taking this action is insane.')

hehe. the ritual's aftermath is just one big string of funny.

and you've actually managed to write Dumbledore in such a way as to make him seem more detrimental to the light, and possibly actually evil,(and in either case, massively more Dangerous to his students' well being and that of the wizarding world at large given his many leadership hats) than any other fic i've ever read, including the ones that are Trying to make him either evil or insane.

the entire conversation between him and harry leaves one screaming 'how the hell did you miss the option to EXPELL THE BULLIES WHO TAKE THIS SORT OF ACTION YEARS AGO!'. after all, if you cannot reform someone, the next best thing is to deprive them of the ability to act in a manner negative to the good of those you are responsible for. that is, after all, the entire point in the existence of prisons. (which, come to think of it, explains my thinking that people are put in prisons too easily and, once there, let out too soon, in many western nations. i'd not really nailed down the Why of that before. yay for thought provoking fic!)

*blinks*

your fic is officially awesome on an entirely new level.
33,494 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,298 1,305 1,306 1,307 1308 1,309 1,310 1,311 1,318 .. Last Next »