Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Nakedkali chapter 65 . 6/21/2011
This is another chapter in which Hermione is careful about food. And yet, as a daughter of dentists, she never thinks about teeth, only nutrition.

Is this going somewhere, in which we discover Hermione's precision about what to eat "saves the day". Because this kind of carefulness is more McGonagall's style, if it is just being done for it's own sake.

Harry was concerned about magical creatures in terms of his hypothesis of "why magic is weaker nowadays". It is odd that he doesn't feel that there's nothing to learn here, even if he doesn't feely anything sympathetic to Hagrid.

Archangel Beth chapter 72 . 6/21/2011
This. Story. Rocks. It makes me giggle. It makes me squee. It makes me think about science stuff. It makes me wonder which _other_ characters you changed, and which you didn't, and look forward to finding out. (No spoilers! *covers eyes and sings the Smurf song loudly*) It is both excellent on its own, I think, and is in a mutual enrichment synergy with the original. (I like it better, methinks, but I'm very Ravenclaw myself, so DUH. But how would I know how _cool_ the Draco-Harry interactions were if I hadn't seen the original?)

Further, my kid - who marathoned the original series - also loves it. (She recently tested with a Lexile score close to 1700. I went O_O. The program that was supposed to recommend books at her reading level said "TILT." But I found this, and it combines stuff at her interest level with stuff at her reading level and now she's reading bits to me. Yay!)

I hope that you continue to be able to keep your muse thoroughly noosed and close by you. O:
I'm hooked on this chapter 72 . 6/21/2011
Seriously, I NEED the next chapter. Please, hurry up!

Why do you take sooooooo long?

I can't imagine you have to work on more important stuff, since this is impossible!

( Well, maybe saving the human species would be of higher priority.)

So, please, keep up the great work!
Artful Lounger chapter 33 . 6/21/2011
I had a feeling the 'breaking drill hex' was a big Gurren Lagann reference, but this proves it.
Galadriell chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Holy Geebuz, this is magnificent! I have read through until chapter 12, I believe. I just couldn't stop reading it long enough to review! But never fear, I will definitely be leaving you praises for EACH AND EVERY CHAPTER! All 72 of them. I never want this to end. I want this to go on forever until Harry meets his imminent death. Or imminent immortality, whatever the case may be. Seriously, you managed to crack me up with the last part with the poor boy shouting into the heavens. Ah, Ms. Figgs... Always the dear.

What I love about this is how incredibly intelligent you sound while writing. I only wish I were half as eloquent. You really do bring your own personality into this, don't you? Congratulations on having the most reviews EVAR! You totally deserve it! Wonderful imagery, wonderfully sarcastic thoughts, wonderful Harry! Just amazing. Onto Chapter 2!
Iyrsiiea chapter 16 . 6/21/2011
I can see why this story is so heavily reviewed. It's nuts-and-batshit, balls-to-the-wall crazy. It's shit is fucked. If it were a person, it would make Bellatix Lestrange look like the most sane being on the planet. And yet it's so rationally sane and matter-of-fact that it makes you doubt your conception of reality and your very own existence.

So far, Harry has managed to make Minerva McGonagall wish he wouldn't be sorted into Griffindor, unknowingly maniplate Draco Malfoy into saying that he wished he *would* in front of his father, enter into a philisophical debate with a newly sentient Sorting Hat so convoluted it made my brain hurt, falsely believe that he had discovered the path to godhood via soda, and play the most mind-boggling prank ever to exist on himself.

Gah. I don't know if I can handle this series...
jasonjannajerryjohn chapter 62 . 6/21/2011
This. You have outdone yourself again on this good sir. In this brilliant 12 part commentary on what I can only expect to be Guantanamo Bay, I laughed, I cried, I was entranced by the brilliance of the writting. It was a page turner, a truly gripping novel that is all to rare a find in a Books A Million or Borders these days.

But the most important thing is that Harry is right. We think Guantanamo is such a wonderful thing, yet we send people there to be tortured and die. Real people. It's not just some random inconsequential nobody. It's easy enough to write someone off as a "terrorist" and than submit them to torture. We are so disconnected from it, it is hidden from the rest of the United States. And nobody every thinks that they would be put into Guantanamo and so they don't think about it. But, ultimately, Harry is right. If I didn't think so before, this gripping epic convinced me, politics is dangerous. Putting that much power into the hands of people who neither know what to do with it nor deserve it is hardly a good thing.

I wonder if Fascism wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. Of course, putting that much power into the hands of one person is hardly comforting. Democracy is an extremely flawed way to run a country, but ultimately we don't end up being in to much trouble. Sure, social progress tends to be slow as molasses, politicians get payed off by corporations who steal all the money from the poor, but ultimately we all aren't getting killed off. Still, I can't help but think about if putting all the power into the hands of one particularly competent and strong willed and strong moraled person wouldn't be such a bad idea, like Plato's philosopher kings.
AlfredLovesArthur chapter 5 . 6/21/2011
YOU ARE A GOD!
Artful Lounger chapter 28 . 6/20/2011
Dorotea Senjak, nice Black Company reference, what's next, the Dread Empire? Am I going to be seeing Yo Hsi or Varthlokkur's names pop up somewhere in here?
Artful Lounger chapter 27 . 6/20/2011
I have to say that I'm liking the story so far. Especially the small references here and there like that Death Note one a while back, the occasional nods to the original book series like with Harry and Quirrell, in addition to the occasional Dune reference. Very nice, very nice indeed.
Lady Kale chapter 5 . 6/20/2011
... it is a very bad idea to read this story in the middle of computer class... one tends to burst out laughing for no apparent reason :/
Nicodine chapter 72 . 6/20/2011
I've been a longtime reader of HP fanfic, but lost interest a few years ago because it was just bloody impossible to find any good fics. And then... I stumbled across yours. The premise alone is glorious! The quick dispatching of Ron as any character of importance made me absolutely gleeful! In particular I think your characterization of Hermione is spot on. She has a mind for memorization and an eye for detail, yes, and can surely put two and two together; but a careful reading of canon reveals her as a girl who is not really that *innovative*, who is a bit stubborn, and is quick to be impatient. Wonderful.

I can only wait with eagerness for the next chapter to see if my predictions are borne out. Please, do keep writing! You make it so much easier to procrastinate on my grad school work, and I'm left pining for the next chapter.
KAHNDetective27 chapter 51 . 6/20/2011
I love it so much more than I did when I last reviewed. Honestly. At first I wondered why Bellatrix was still Bellatrix Black, and I love how you set us up for that mind screw right there.

We're all thinking "Oh yeah, of course it's Sirius. Even the main character thinks it's Sirius. Because in the Prisoner of Azkaban, Sirius is all like 'I'm your Godfather, Harry,' and everything's okay." But then Quirrel's all like "Bellatrix never married Rodolphus Lestrange, and she's still a Black." And then I remembered that this was the fic that shipped Sirius with Peter Pettigrew.

Still great though. I love it and despite any and all changes in characterization, it's still amazing (if not better in some respects). I won't give suggestions because they are all for things that would have to be retconned out of existence, and I doubt that you would do so, as that would stoop down to daytime television territory, and I'm pretty sure you have a good idea of what you're going to do, as evidenced by the fact that you wrote twenty-one more chapters after this one.

Keep up the amazing work.
Crystal shadow7 chapter 72 . 6/20/2011
Incredible, I can not wait for more. I do hope this ends the SPHEW arc though, I understand that it is a parody but it annoys me that the last thing I read out of this so far has less substance then the rest of your chapters.
Artful Lounger chapter 6 . 6/20/2011
Yeah, I don't think that old McGonagall would have a simple time re-telling the story of her day without the use of a Pensieve.
32,478 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,300 1,307 1,308 1,309 1310 1,311 1,312 1,313 1,320 .. Last Next »