Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
lunkwill chapter 65 . 1/10/2011
I'm curious to see where you're going with Harry's "plans within plans" view of the world.

Harry is legitimately living in a highly adversarial environment, so it's wise for him to be wary, as should a head of state or a wartime general. On the other hand, Harry is a proxy for the reader, and most of the challenges we have in our day-to-day lives, like working in families or work groups, deal with cooperative systems.

If MoR's central reality is Dune-like: everyone is an assassin and only the hyper-paranoid survive, then Harry is right to be vigilant. But I hope it isn't, because a life that adversarial would be truly miserable (whether filled with real or imaginary foes).

My primary memory of Dune is "look how paranoid and clever Frank Herbert was". I think it's fascinating to see Harry take a paranoid view of the world, but I worry that the MoR world will actually turn out to be like that, because far too many people think the real world is really like that, and behavioral confirmation tends to make it so.
CHARbones chapter 8 . 1/10/2011
This fic is wonderful. I skipped the first chapter (I don't know why, I'll end up going back and reading it later) and read til chapter 8 and I have to stop and review because I've laughed so many times my cat glared a very perturbed glare and leaped off my lap to find a more stable place to sleep.

And, the cat's apparent anger forced my attention away from the fic mid-chapter and I thought then about reviewing because you deserve to know that your fic is in my singular opinion, wonderful.

So if you ever write yourself a fiction book, please self promote on your FFN profile and I assure you I will find it and buy it... unless it is priced above 30 american dollars. If it is I will wait for the price to slowly drop. I'd ask you not to be offended by this, however if you are, there is not much I can do to alleviate this other than buying the book and reading it anyways.
Last Alchemist chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
What would really be dangerous would be for Harry to make antimatter by transfiguration. One pound of antimatter would instantly undergo matter/antimatter annihilation, converting one pound of antimatter and one pound of matter 100% into energy, producing an explosion probably powerful enough to blow up England!

You might want to avoid that.
HOLLYd chapter 17 . 1/9/2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA

I CRIED BECAUSE I WAS LAUGHING SO MUCH

ohhhhhhhh man. that rock bit was really quite good. really, funniest thing I've ever read. haven't laughed that hard in a very long time.

bahahaha
Loonynamelass chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
Oh no, Harry, Don't do it! :(
w chapter 29 . 1/9/2011
I wonder when I'll catch my tail in the reviews... no idea how to check which was the first one I wrote. Hopefully not yet for a couple more.

Nice:

If you got too close to the Boy-Who-Lived, you became part of his story.

You didn't get your own.

Indeed, Hermione does get a bit less dimensional in the 60s.

Too many ares: Are you are not grateful?

Her perception of Q is nice too.

Unfortunately there was a slight flaw in this plan.

Namely, they were both Ravenclaws. Each had thought it was just one special exception they would make only this one time, and neither had yet realized it was impossible for either of them to ever finish reading all the book titles no matter how hard they tried.

Nice making fun of a canon. And describing Hermione's attitude to broomsticks.

It made her feel flattered, and also a little worried because Harry didn't seem to really talk to anyone besides her. hm? How about Draco?

The reasoning why Q is evil is very very nice.

Anthony Goldstein and Ernie Macmillan, came the thought, before Draco's common sense kicked in and ruled out mudbloods and Hufflepuffs no matter how aggressively they dueled.

The entire conversation with Q.

Come with me to visit Malfoy Manor, my father and I would like to show you some interesting spells.

This shows Draco's personality so well and chillingly too.

Drakey/Hermy.
AbsintheSpoon3 chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
Wow. Just wow. I'm in love with your writing style.

Keep it up!
The Epitome of Eccentricity chapter 33 . 1/9/2011
I recognise Ender's game in there. The enemy is DOWN, eh?
Aishata chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
I love your story.

However, I have yet to question:

Why not Harry be given to ability to merge particles in the air to create substances? A lot of possibilities can be taken from this, creating chemicals to make bombs, creating drugs, creating a trail of pure oxygen in the air which would set off a chain reaction of fire with a spark...

Not to mention the pure destructibility of acetone peroxide, by which it can be set off with simply blunt shock. Saying that particles in the air are unstable is something I don't see as a reasonable explanation, in that case simply bring them to a more solid form (like freezing) and then transfigurate them from there.

If anything, why can't water be used in combat as well? Spells are essentially light, and thus can be refracted or reflected. Even spells that can't be seen such as hexes can also be treated accordingly, because certain wavelengths of light can't be seen by the human eye.
Urikaa chapter 5 . 1/9/2011
Oh my goodness! It's been a while since I laughed so much!
ElNazgir chapter 47 . 1/9/2011
I have rarely turned myself to fanfiction, and when at first I started reading this fanfic, I thought it was just a hilarious "what if Harry was Ravenclaw in the worst way possible" story. I've had to adapt my views a number of times, and although I initially felt the impression of Dumbledore went too far into the whole cryptic lunatic, I became more and more aware of just how serious this fanfic was.

And then came this chapter, which is simply beautiful, though in honesty I admit that I really have no words to do it justice. One thought kept coming to me though:

If you had come up with this universe instead of Rowling, I believe you would have done it much better than Rowling herself, despite it already being very good.

Congratulations dear writer, with beating Rowling in and with her own universe.
Freya D chapter 63 . 1/9/2011
Just read the entire story, and I really like it so far. I subscribed so I'll definitely be reading the new chapters when they come out.

My favourite chapter was the one in Dumbledore's office when Harry was saying "wise" things. And, when Malfoy realised Harry was a Parselmouth. Genius comedy writing!
Annabelinda Tsuki chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
What brilliance! I could comment on a couple things that disappointed me, but they wouldn't really be criticism. So, I'll say that you manage to tie in serious with humorous, made me laugh myself into insanity and bite my nails in confusion, and declare outloud that I'll never be able to write something like this.

I can't wait until the next chapter!

Annabelinda Tsuki
Illadaran chapter 13 . 1/9/2011
Actually Avada Kedavra and Abracadabra are actual word from Aramaic. Avada Kedavra basically means let it be destroyed, while Abracadabra means to create.
Illadaran chapter 10 . 1/9/2011
That was just cruel! I was so happy that he got into Slytherin that I almost skipped over the last part. Think of the damage he could do in Slytherin,it would be awesome. *pout*
30,102 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,302 1,309 1,310 1,311 1312 1,313 1,314 1,315 1,322 .. Last Next »