Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Artful Lounger chapter 72 . 6/22/2011
A good story so far, a very good story so far. A couple of things that don't make sense mind you, like how being an Occlumens, being able to prevent someone from reading your mind, somehow makes you immune to Veritaserum, truth potion. No idea how a thought exercise makes you immune to truth serum. But aside from odd things like that, very nice indeed so far.
EvilDime chapter 24 . 6/22/2011
Huh. Seriously, Lawliet'? Poor kid... I like Ryuzaki' better.

Oh, and I wonder if Draco will be lying to himself about wanting revenge for dozens of chapters or if he actually will take revenge at some point.

- Dime
MosquitoFodder chapter 5 . 6/22/2011
The scene in Malkin's is the most laughing I've ever gotten from a fanfic :)
Giveres chapter 1 . 6/22/2011
I'm not sure if I ever left a signed review, so here goes:

This is pure awesome. I read the whole thing twice (obviously...) I'm not so into the separate story arcs (Azkaban or SPHEW). I love, love, love the interactions between characters and how you quietly poke fun of all the idiocy in canon (eg Harry telling Quirrel to give a safety speech and include things such as don't brew illegal potions in an abandoned bathroom; Mrs. Weasley writing to Ron to say that Bellatrix is hers and someone's shocked reaction of "Molly Weasley against Bellatrix Black?") Also love all the Ender's Game references. All that's missing? AN UPDATE!
O.verP.owered chapter 72 . 6/22/2011
This fic is so nuts its good. I consider myself to have read a fair amount of fanfiction, and this has really changed my outlook on some aspects of life. Amazing story, amazing writer. Thanks for exposing me to new ideas and things!
kaworu nagisa chapter 72 . 6/22/2011
Is that the end?

Is that it?

Is this really where you think this story is going to end?

Want to know what I think?

I think you're amazing.

And I think I saw you somewhere, but was stupid enough not to ask for an autograph.

I think.

Nakedkali chapter 67 . 6/21/2011
There's an interesting bit of color in this chapter, in which we realize that wizards don't run or do calisthenics in any basic muggle-athlete sorta way. Quirrell has talked about how wands are held in hands, so it's odd that no conditioning at all has been happening for his particular classes. Making wizards run laps would be a punishment feared more than losses of quirrell points.

Also odd is later on when a certain Slytherin gets a dressing down by Snape, it seems that he did have some endurance to him. Where do people learn this, if it is not typical?
Nakedkali chapter 66 . 6/21/2011
Are we supposed to be able to guess what the strange old shop was? Can we have a clue? I have read this fic a few times, and I still feel I'm missing something here.
Nakedkali chapter 65 . 6/21/2011
This is another chapter in which Hermione is careful about food. And yet, as a daughter of dentists, she never thinks about teeth, only nutrition.

Is this going somewhere, in which we discover Hermione's precision about what to eat "saves the day". Because this kind of carefulness is more McGonagall's style, if it is just being done for it's own sake.

Harry was concerned about magical creatures in terms of his hypothesis of "why magic is weaker nowadays". It is odd that he doesn't feel that there's nothing to learn here, even if he doesn't feely anything sympathetic to Hagrid.

Archangel Beth chapter 72 . 6/21/2011
This. Story. Rocks. It makes me giggle. It makes me squee. It makes me think about science stuff. It makes me wonder which _other_ characters you changed, and which you didn't, and look forward to finding out. (No spoilers! *covers eyes and sings the Smurf song loudly*) It is both excellent on its own, I think, and is in a mutual enrichment synergy with the original. (I like it better, methinks, but I'm very Ravenclaw myself, so DUH. But how would I know how _cool_ the Draco-Harry interactions were if I hadn't seen the original?)

Further, my kid - who marathoned the original series - also loves it. (She recently tested with a Lexile score close to 1700. I went O_O. The program that was supposed to recommend books at her reading level said "TILT." But I found this, and it combines stuff at her interest level with stuff at her reading level and now she's reading bits to me. Yay!)

I hope that you continue to be able to keep your muse thoroughly noosed and close by you. O:
I'm hooked on this chapter 72 . 6/21/2011
Seriously, I NEED the next chapter. Please, hurry up!

Why do you take sooooooo long?

I can't imagine you have to work on more important stuff, since this is impossible!

( Well, maybe saving the human species would be of higher priority.)

So, please, keep up the great work!
Artful Lounger chapter 33 . 6/21/2011
I had a feeling the 'breaking drill hex' was a big Gurren Lagann reference, but this proves it.
Galadriell chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Holy Geebuz, this is magnificent! I have read through until chapter 12, I believe. I just couldn't stop reading it long enough to review! But never fear, I will definitely be leaving you praises for EACH AND EVERY CHAPTER! All 72 of them. I never want this to end. I want this to go on forever until Harry meets his imminent death. Or imminent immortality, whatever the case may be. Seriously, you managed to crack me up with the last part with the poor boy shouting into the heavens. Ah, Ms. Figgs... Always the dear.

What I love about this is how incredibly intelligent you sound while writing. I only wish I were half as eloquent. You really do bring your own personality into this, don't you? Congratulations on having the most reviews EVAR! You totally deserve it! Wonderful imagery, wonderfully sarcastic thoughts, wonderful Harry! Just amazing. Onto Chapter 2!
Iyrsiiea chapter 16 . 6/21/2011
I can see why this story is so heavily reviewed. It's nuts-and-batshit, balls-to-the-wall crazy. It's shit is fucked. If it were a person, it would make Bellatix Lestrange look like the most sane being on the planet. And yet it's so rationally sane and matter-of-fact that it makes you doubt your conception of reality and your very own existence.

So far, Harry has managed to make Minerva McGonagall wish he wouldn't be sorted into Griffindor, unknowingly maniplate Draco Malfoy into saying that he wished he *would* in front of his father, enter into a philisophical debate with a newly sentient Sorting Hat so convoluted it made my brain hurt, falsely believe that he had discovered the path to godhood via soda, and play the most mind-boggling prank ever to exist on himself.

Gah. I don't know if I can handle this series...
jasonjannajerryjohn chapter 62 . 6/21/2011
This. You have outdone yourself again on this good sir. In this brilliant 12 part commentary on what I can only expect to be Guantanamo Bay, I laughed, I cried, I was entranced by the brilliance of the writting. It was a page turner, a truly gripping novel that is all to rare a find in a Books A Million or Borders these days.

But the most important thing is that Harry is right. We think Guantanamo is such a wonderful thing, yet we send people there to be tortured and die. Real people. It's not just some random inconsequential nobody. It's easy enough to write someone off as a "terrorist" and than submit them to torture. We are so disconnected from it, it is hidden from the rest of the United States. And nobody every thinks that they would be put into Guantanamo and so they don't think about it. But, ultimately, Harry is right. If I didn't think so before, this gripping epic convinced me, politics is dangerous. Putting that much power into the hands of people who neither know what to do with it nor deserve it is hardly a good thing.

I wonder if Fascism wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. Of course, putting that much power into the hands of one person is hardly comforting. Democracy is an extremely flawed way to run a country, but ultimately we don't end up being in to much trouble. Sure, social progress tends to be slow as molasses, politicians get payed off by corporations who steal all the money from the poor, but ultimately we all aren't getting killed off. Still, I can't help but think about if putting all the power into the hands of one particularly competent and strong willed and strong moraled person wouldn't be such a bad idea, like Plato's philosopher kings.
32,516 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,302 1,309 1,310 1,311 1312 1,313 1,314 1,315 1,322 .. Last Next »