Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Xuenay chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
Good chapter. I do admit that I was a bit disappointed when you said that this would be /the/ most sciency chapter in the whole fic, as I was really enjoying the way they were starting to study magic in a scientific way. But maybe you just meant that there won't be as much explicit exposition about how science works, which is cool.

"For the first time in his life, Draco realized why there were Death Eaters."

This was an unexpected gem. One of my fave things about the last books was that Draco grew from a cardboard cut-out to a real character with a realistic personality. Even in general, I love it when the bad guys are actually given plausible and realistic motives. Here, you've given them to not only Draco, but to all of the Death Eaters, which was never really done in any of the books. The mudblood thing isn't just random racism: they actually believe that they're trying to save the way magic works. That's awesome.
Caznikk chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
This is a great story so far, sort of a mix of funny and adventure and drama and scientific stuff. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching for the next update!
Entropic Specter chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
Aah! Finally, a new chapter. I was starving, here.

Delicious.

Magic is fading? What a nice hypothesis Draco blurted out on his first try there. This will be quite interesting, methinks.

In any case, keep writing and please update soon. (Tomorrow? Great!)
Seriouslydull chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
I have to be brutally honest and say I have no idea what's happening in this fanfiction. Not that I don't like it, but rather, I don't understand it. Having said that, it is amazingly original and that is my favourite part. So keep it up :)
Zyanadryn chapter 6 . 6/5/2010
Ooohh Shiny!...

Lightning flashing with ominous thunder in the background!

LOVE IT!

Should we be scared?
VN chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
a typo: "be prepared do what we can" - "be prepared to do what we can"
PiecesOfSerendipity chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
I like this story but I think it was better at the beginning.

This story is very.. stuffy, if that's the right word. It feels like you've overcomplicated it and just jammed a bit of everything into a much smaller space. This story has humour, drama, adventure, a lot of angst, a bit of mystery, hurt/comfort, tragedy, friendship, horror and even some sci-fi. You've tried to include everything and it's just not working for me. It feels as if this story is always being pulled in several directions and it's ruining the pace. Something is always happening, which messes with the flow. If somehting isn't happening, then something angsty or philosopical is happening.

Also, this story is constantly changing between humour and some sort of dark drama/angst. Sometimes this is really good and adds a whole new element to the story - but sometimes, it's jsut tiring.

Sorry it's pretty harsh and I actually do love this story - I love all the theories Harry comes out with as they are extremely interesting - and those moment where I can relate to Harry. This is just my opinion :)
Sorrowful Stone chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
O.O

Scary! Exciting! More please!
Jaxtopher chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
Wow. That is an unexpected direction. I approve wholeheartaidly. Nice take on the "Magic was stronger way back when!" classical story element. Of course, I should have seen it coming - you consistently spin awesome out of not taking genre features for granted.
bakapervert chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
This story become more stupid I think. Harry is really stupid loser who talk big without result and his pride is so big. It make me skip so many part lately because watching Harry is just so pathetic and pitiful.
gwern chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
Then Harry Potter spat something that was probably an extremely bad word if you'd been raised by Muggles. "I didn't think of that!" said Harry Potter. "And I should have. The magic goes away. Damn, damn, damn!"

Hm, and just think, this past week on Less Wrong someone brought up Niven's _The Magic Goes Away_ universe as a rare example of a magic universe that could plausibly have turned into our own.
what are you even saying chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
I guess it hasn't occurred to them that the tales of Merlin and the Four Founders were exaggerated? Oh well, that's one of probably hundreds of reasonable explanations that they haven't come up with yet. Doesn't mean they won't.

The second half of this chapter was far more interesting than the first. I have a surprising amount of sympathy for your Harry, given what an arrogant little genius he is. I hope he gets ahead of Hermione in some way/shape/form in the near future.

Looking forward to more.
DigiEmissary chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
I greatly enjoy the Harry-Hermione interactions. Please do more of them.
lilyoftheval5 chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
I just so loved reading this. Makes me think...

Speaking of which:

"If the portrait only knows the name of the wizarding children, not the names of all the children, then don't write down any data from that couple."

Why not use the information the info portraits have and check the archives?

And Draco should check his family's records, find out the squib ratio and track down their descendants (if the Malfoys did let them live).
PBrules chapter 22 . 6/5/2010
Yay you're back! Your chapters always leave me feeling fuzzy headed but I love them.

I can't wait to see how their investigations go...
23,774 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,302 1,309 1,310 1,311 1312 1,313 1,314 1,315 1,322 .. Last Next »