Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Illadaran chapter 10 . 1/9/2011
That was just cruel! I was so happy that he got into Slytherin that I almost skipped over the last part. Think of the damage he could do in Slytherin,it would be awesome. *pout*
JoyceVivian chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
I'm a major in Psychology and Sociology, have only a slightly smaller degree of passion for philosophy and a year old personal mission to teach myself how to think critically and rationally. I love reading fiction and Harry Potter fanfiction is a part of my staple literary diet.

You have given me a greater respect for science and mathematics, for all that they are not my calling. I hope you'll respect that I read your work through the eyes of a psychologist and philosopher.

I want to thank you for writing an intellectual masterpiece which thoroughly excited me through each and every one of your 65 chapters (and I'm sure will continue to do so).

You have combined my two favourite passions in the world: leisure reading and learning, moulding them into a piece of work which inspires my drive to learn. To soak up and expand my knowledge as an aspiring scholar on every theory and concept I do not already recognise in your writing.

I am thoroughly glad that I have two months left of my summer holidays, as I intend to learn everything I can from your profile links.

Eight years reading fanfiction and yours is only the fourth story that I have found so intellectually gripping.
anonrit.edu chapter 65 . 1/9/2011
Great fanfiction. Strike that; great fiction, full stop. This is the first fanfiction I've been confident in recommending to my friends, and it's definitely given me some new ideas (plus countless moments of helpless laughter...).

I suspect that "somewhere in London" will turn out to be No. 12 Grimmauld Place...
Candian Bacon chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
...I got as far as chapter 15 and my brain just gave out on me...I guess it might be that it's 11 pm when I'm reading this...but...Sir/Lady-person...I can't read this any longer...It is one of the most brilliant fan fiction's I have ever read...but it makes me feel so stupid that I'm getting a headache just typing this...Continue on with amazing story and made one day when I'm smarter...then I can continue the quest of reading this fan fiction...Good Day.
werewoolf chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
i have been a reader of fanfic for many years and i must say that this story is fantastic it has quite an interesting story line and the facts are always thought provoking. i haven't yet read the website but plan to.

sincerly

ww
Phoenix Crystal Star chapter 7 . 1/8/2011
Dear Less Wrong:

Your writing is amazing. lm marveling at your metaphors and explanations of science. i must say I have read more than my fair share of fan fictions, but yours outwits all that l have read. Its no wonder why youre an author of one story if youre put so much work on to these story. You should beg J. K. Rowling for copyrights and then get this publish this.

Book Luver25
Reine Illusion chapter 6 . 1/8/2011
Well, as you can clearly see, I only read up to chapter 6 by now, but I'm entirely fascinated. While it might not be sane for a eleven-year-old to act as Harry does, I enjoy it. Greatly. The jokes are spot on and the theories presented for various problems about science vs magic are stimulating.

So: Thanks for writing this. Thanks for presenting a logical viewpoint of magical Britain on this site. Thank you for a great story so far, and thank you that you still update it.

Well. It might not be completely sane to continue reading right now (3 am here), I will.

...and I might write another review when my emotions overwhelm me :) ... I usually don't write one before reading the whole plot, so I hope you enjoy my enthuasism...
jada951 chapter 15 . 1/8/2011
you sure did put a whole lot of thought into her speech in front of the class!

amazing.
ejhawman chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
A minor point addressed, but a useful one - Fawkes should be good enough proof of Dumbles' character for most casual observers, hence why most of the wizarding world trusts him by default. His enemies won't be so affected, but they know better. But Dumbles has also done noting (publicly known) to contradict the good image Fawkes reinforces.

Harry might get some benefit from association with Fawkes, but the Slytherins are already circulating rumors about him, trying to discount the Fawkes factor. It might not work; it's a bit early yet, situation still in flux. And Fawkes might not stay long.

A better point - Hagrid wouldn't get on so well with this Harry. In the books Harry was desperate for any kind of friends, but HPEV can afford to be more discriminating. No doubt Hagrid annoys him, and as you say, Hagrid wouldn't find Harry very warm and friendly. Still, he would probably take a while to figure that out, and should have made at least a few approaches by now.

Minerva worries about Harry becoming too hardened at an early age. It's always great to see Harry being more mature and realistic than the adults that run his life - actually a theme from the books, how well-meaning adults hold kids back sometimes, with potentially disastrous consequences. With most powerful!Harry fics, this is overcome quickly. Rationalist!Harry does so elegantly.

Quirrelmort finds his inclusion of Harry in his plans leads to an unexpected obstacle; they must hammer out a plan to remove it. Straightforward, at least. The investigation of the Salem Witch Institute offer is inconclusive for now, the portkey might lead to the International Portkey Terminal as an intermediate stop or it might simply be a trap by another faction. The Headmaster, Snape, Quirrel, or others can make further discreet inquiries with the Salem staff.

Harry should soon realize it's not Hogwarts or other wizarding schools that have any problem with excessive subtlety; it's him in particular. Teachers want to give him no special treatment, but ultimately the rest of the world does see him in a unique way, and some sort of special treatment is necessary - as Harry has realized, and tries to convince others of.

Many directions to go from here. I'd be at a loss to plot it. I wouldn't want to rush you; I have plenty of other stories to read in the meantime.
db48x chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
Good chapter; I had been wondering how soon he would consider the other consequences of treason.

Also, I wonder of it will occur to him that the portkey need not lead directly to America for the note to be correct. For all he know it leads to the American embassy
doconnor chapter 62 . 1/8/2011
Azkaban reminded of when I played Final Fantasy XI doing difficult quests when you had to keep invisible and sneak spells active on yourself continuously.

Finally a mention of the Philosopher's Stone. Harry probably would want it even more then You-Know-Who.

Snape is going to be even more flustered now that Harry has got a phoenix. He might be one of the top ten most powerful wizards in Britain already.
bookivore chapter 64 . 1/8/2011
I liked all the omakes, now have to snark about their implausibility:

The Anita Blake 'storyline' is about one thing only. The rest is to keep it in general bookstores.

I haven't read Twilight because even second hand (through cross-overs, ads, etc) it seems to be composed of anti-brain cells material only. Shouldn't a cross-over with rationality simply explode?
Sandorius chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
I just finished reading this, and all I can say is: wow! great work! keep it up!
Walking with Kings chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
This is officially the best fanfiction I have ever read. And it inspired me to start experimenting again, interestingly enough. And it also inspired me to read through the entire Less Wrong website. I just started, and it's a very good website.

Thank you for taking the time to write this story. I have enjoyed it immensely.

- Brandon Cleveland
Zicou chapter 65 . 1/8/2011
Awesome story!

will we know one day who is the mysterious note writer, portkey / invisibility cloak giver ?

Continuuuuuuuuuue,

Z.
30,103 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,303 1,310 1,311 1,312 1313 1,314 1,315 1,316 1,323 .. Last Next »