Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Rosa Mundi chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
... Buh... Voldemort just gave Hermione 100 points for doing what was right. The "Good Guys" just sat there and let it go, and Voldemort stepped in to set things right.

...

I'm wondering if Mr. Riddle is going to decide that not dying is sufficient and maybe he doesn't want to try to take over the world after all.
Sliver of Infinity chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
I thought this chapter was excellent. What most stood out to me was Hermione's "breaking," as you described it. Previously in this story, your portrayal of her as a model, rule-abiding, student has been almost a parody of the original Hermione's personality. Now don't get me wrong, I like what you did with her and her role in the plot - but it has backed her into something of a corner as far as character development goes.

By breaking out of that mold you've set for yourself - you remove that block. And, of course most importantly, it shows that she is at least somewhat rational. Which is the attribute worthy of promotion in this story.
JoshuaZ chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Ah, so the poem turned out to be Gryffindor not Bacon after all. Nice.

I had a very mixed view of this chapter. It seems to reinforce a general problem that Hermione just isn't dealing with problems of the same level that Harry is. It makes it feel almost like it is token feminism. Canon had this problem also but at least there Hermione was fighting the same things Harry was so it felt more due to him being the protagonist. Here though she's not even really the side-kick. Harry is rescuing people from fate worse than death and Hermione is dealing with school bullies but not even doing that fully on her own? This saddens me.

This chapter did however have its moments. I really liked the line about "Nice well-groomed boys get girls, and Dark Wizards also get girls, but nice well-groomed boys suspected of being secretly Dark get more girls than you can imagine-".

I'm really at this point very interested in what game Snape is trying to play. At this point it seems like he isn't acting under Dumbledore's orders. Given that there's reason to think that Harry already destroyed the primary reason Snape would be loyal to Dumbledore and Harry this is very worrisome. I early thought that a single conversation like the one Snape had with Harry would not be enough to alter the fact that he loved Lilly even if it made him see her as more flawed. But now I have to wonder if he's gone all really Dark. I hope not.
phil chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Like the Ravenclaw girls (and you, I suspect) I have read far too many fictional romances. And yes, I am already trying to imagine their children. Very amusing.

Fascinating insight into responsibility and heroes. I read an article, "Addicted To Being Good? The Psychopathology of Heroism", showing the similarity of sociopaths and heros. It takes a special sort of mindset to set yourself out from society that way, and Quirrel and Harry both have it.

Can't wait to see what you do with Hermione, now that she's stepped out of her role as a sidekick and into the spotlight.

Just more three days!
madeyemarauder chapter 27 . 8/31/2011
I always appreciate glimpses at Severus' empathetic side.
m-f42 chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Ding-Dong the incredibly tedious story-arc is dead!
Violet Shadows chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Liked the bit with Godric at the end.
Entropic Specter chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Congratulations on achieving the Summer Challenge's goal. Pretty awesome of all these people to donate.

Anyway. Thanks for the awesome new chapters. Please keep up the great work. I suppose, today, saying "and please update soon" is superfluous, though. I'll go back to that tradition, once the written chapters run out.

The bit with the last names was... Well. Seems obvious where that is going. Fun times.

About the end. I wonder, was that just the last straw to open up the path for heroic Hermione? If so, was it simply "coincidence", or was the breaking engineered, by, say, Dumbledore, who allowed a bit of extra injustice, for just this purpose? Either way, this should be interesting. Less-rule-bound Hermione? Oh my.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
"wasn't quite as good as Ch. 74"

Says you, EY - this chapter was great!
GuesssWho chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
At this point I'm thinking Quirrell is the hero :D
BlackRosary chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Wow...just wow. I am amazed and thrilled beyond words. I absolutely, positively adore this story. I am so, so, SO, happy you are not making Hermione go with Ron but also for writing such a captivating story. I always feel so happy when I see the next chapter alert in my e-mail. So much thanks nothing pleases me more then a good story.
Fresh C chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
This chapter and the last chapter were the first to give me the same enjoyment as the beginning chapters of the story since the self-actualization arc began. I think the reasons for that are as follows: 1) Harry pulled some truly crazy stunt that only a nerdy/disturbed muggleborn would think of. 2) You provided us new insight into the mindframe of the characters which were thought provoking.

Harry's idea of responsibility is scary and panic inducing. What I mean by that is I can't see anyone actually following that belief without being perfect or suffering from crushing guilt and self-hatred. To be truly responsible for the bottom line no matter what, is way too much pressure for one person to take upon themselves. However, Harry seems to think that everyone should feel this way (a thought that holds a bit more merit). If everyone held themselves equally responsible for all of humanities failures, then perhaps there would be less of them.

Getting everyone to agree on what is considered failure and success is another matter entirely.

Good chapter(s)
Darjeelings chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
I enjoyed this chapter more than 74. Deep-thinking material is /always/ better than epic material.
Dee chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Good chapter :)
Sakura Lisel chapter 75 . 8/31/2011
Okay, WHY is Dumbledore AND the other teachers letting Snape get away with his announcement? Unless the guy knows EXACTLY who's in Hermione's Society group, or if they publically wear some kind of ID to show their part of Hermione's group, he's basically just said that ANYONE who's caught fighting in the halls will be expelled from Hogwarts by HIM? What about the students who have NEVER been members of the group, but still fight in the halls? will THEY be kicked out? Since Snape basically said that HE'LL be handling the expulsions from now on, does that annoucement also include his beloved Slytherins as expellees if they are caught fighting in the halls?
33,669 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,303 1,310 1,311 1,312 1313 1,314 1,315 1,316 1,323 .. Last Next »