Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
FunWithAPen chapter 75 . 9/2/2011
Well. Having spent the last two and a half days reading your story at all possible times (including in the tub and while my students tested and in between turns while playing Scrabble) I'm mostly thinking that I should have been keeping an on-going comment or commenting after every chapter because now there's simply too much to say!

First, I am most impressed with your character development. You are a dynamic writer and I've thoroughly enjoyed having to google random terms (or studies or ideas or beliefs) while reading, but more than that, I've loved watching your characters change and grow. Draco especially has slowly been given time to learn and change and adapt to the person that he is becoming. It will be fun to see what he chooses to do in the future. Also, his cockiness is endlessly amusing ("Because he's Draco Malfoy, that's why."). Always great!

I'm completely confused by Professor Quirrell... is he Voldemort, is he just creepy, is he totally playing Harry? I'm inclined to think Yes to all three, but he's just random enough to keep me unsure (like awarding Hermione 100 points... very un-Dark Lord, unless it's simply to annoy Snape or gain her trust). Anyways, I'm really hoping that Harry and Prof. Quirrell's final confrontation is on the last day of their school year (since Harry did promise McGonagall that it would be), which would mean that we've still got ages to wait and see what happens!

Anyways, thank you for creating this and sharing it with everyone- it's hilarious and intelligent and I'm loving it!

-Ashley

P.S. It's intimidating reviewing on a story with 14,500 previous reviews... not sure why, but it's true :)
Anser's Shadow chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
Great story. Dumbledore setting the chicken on fire will forever be my favorite fanfiction moment. Looking forward to the next chapter.
Hedi Dracona chapter 75 . 9/2/2011
This chapter was a joy to read. I even read some parts of it aloud to my boyfriend, because I just had to share them.
A Changing Persona chapter 75 . 9/2/2011

I never really liked the S.P.H.E.W. in the first place.

And now it's disbanded!

Or, at least I think it is...

Or is it...
Mycroft R Holmes chapter 33 . 9/2/2011
I found this story only yesterday, and haven't even finished chapter 33 yet, but I wished to give my feelings at this point before going further. This is one of those very rare tales that gives me a sense of "someone understands" and of "I'm not the Only Sane Woman". I mean this not in the sense of teenaged "no-one understands me" angst but from the perspective of someone who has always been smarter than those around her (though not necessarily wiser) and came very near, many times, to biting people when they thought that because I wasn't eighteen, yet, I was subhuman, and when my biology teacher insisted that cells were not made of atoms. (She was teaching 11th and 12th grade biology. How she got this job, I have no idea.)

Also, I wished to say that when I read "Why are you upside down?" I may have punched the air and yelled "Yes!", which I do not do. At all.
madeyemarauder chapter 46 . 9/2/2011
This is research with a big R.
ev chapter 32 . 9/2/2011
"I know someone from a certain government-in-exile who is quite competent..."

A *government* that's in exile? Now that makes me wonder...
madeyemarauder chapter 45 . 9/2/2011
Magnificent!
madeyemarauder chapter 44 . 9/2/2011
The obverse of the Prince curing the enchanted princess with as kiss?
madeyemarauder chapter 43 . 9/2/2011
You really don't want us know whose side Quirrell is on, do you?
merl7 chapter 75 . 9/2/2011
We haven't had any Draco and Harry interaction for a while, I'd like to see how their science sessions are going. Great story so far, I love the way that even though Harrys highly intelligent he's not all powerful. He is only eleven after all. And the way his intelligence makes up for his lack of power makes the plot a whole lot more interesting, I specifically enjoyed the rocket!broomstick scene.
Coby chapter 75 . 9/2/2011
I was hoping Hermione would quote Griffindor to Dumbledoor at the end but great chapter anyway.
Megan McAlistair chapter 32 . 9/2/2011
"It was the season to be merry."

do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

"morally repugnant"

how can food be morally repugnant?

okay, scratch that, I don't want to go into detail

"and discovering that it was rotten and had been made from kittens."

kittens weren't my first idea, screw my brain

"give your friends the gift... of death."

spoiled by TV, like the rest of us

"and the Grinch was as much a part of Christmas as Santa."

Well, in Hogwarts they say - that Quirrel's small heart grew three sizes that day.
Megan McAlistair chapter 31 . 9/2/2011
"How?

How?"

two minds, one thought

different backgrounds, now both scientists

"Draco had read it and he still hadn't seen it -"

Hermione had read and memorized it

because that's what it said on the back of her math book

"(They'd brought back all the other chairs after Malfoy had left, of course.)"

she is so... I don't want to say evil, but cunning and... I lack the words in English, genial, gerissen, absolut hinterhältig

"And Colonel Zabini?"

great, as if my harbor wasn't full enough

"mixture of positive and negative incentives"

oh Quirrel, you sneaky little bastard
Megan McAlistair chapter 30 . 9/2/2011
"if a man tries to bother you, you can think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe."

enlighten a non-native speaker, where is that from?

and does it have anything to d with laminated mouse-brains?

"This is what's left after we've passed."

a nice thing to say when you want to intimidate an enemy

if one of your soldiers says it it sounds like he's clever enough to make it up on the spot and clever enemies are deadly enemies

"the 501st Provisional Battalion"

such a geek, does he have a uniform?

"Harry's Minions o' Doom"

he did want minions...

"the simple and dignified appellation of the Chaos Legion."

simple and dignified... aha

ironically "This is what's left after we've passed." fits here, too

(chaotic evil, neutral or good?)

"It was universally agreed that this wasn't a good sign."

how many weeks has it been?

great waves indeed

"Sunshine Regiment"

'You know... our leader is nice. Since you probably won't ever see it again, she put it on all our jackets so you will never forget it.'

"and this had been quite sufficient."

oh we humans... stupid and cruel

"and the two groups needing to work together to solve a failure of the park's water system. A common task, a common enemy."

Perry Rhodan anyone?

or to make it more real... Genghis Khan? (I was tempted to write Dschinghis Khan, but you'd just think I mean the band, probably)

"General Potter walked (not marched)"

marching is for bands

"who'd waited his entire life to say it."

I love in-jokes

"He would frame it as a heroic rescue"

at the dawn of the seventh day...

"But General Granger was the unpredictable one"

as that Sparrow-pirate-guy said: "Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."

"It was probably taking pictures."

this is so hilarious

"And history, my troops, is written by the victors"

because only the victors survive to evolve into people who are capable of writing a program that sees the humour in snapping pictures of people redressing and is capable of remaining unseen in its container and also send it back in time to do that

"knowing only that there was no way to get our names and memories back except victory."

reminds me of Geneforge... and quite a lot of other computer games

"We fight to amuse eldritch monstrosities from beyond Space and Time."

my instincts told me 'eldritch abominations, not monstrosities', because I'm a troper, in fact I found my way here through tvtropes

"She's being fair."

that and she probably gave private lessons to all her soldiers, because she is nice

"It's a feint."

two minds, two thoughts, a billion possibilities

"as from his lips poured a fearful song of doom."

in the fantastic novel this belongs in the song probably wouldn't just contain the word "doom"

it's hilarious and cool at the same time

"Draco must have gotten her"

let me guess, she's not fighting either

maybe her plan is to make them think they defeated her when really she is still stading and when the Dragons and the Chaos have wiped each other out she will emerge to slay the victor

clever girl

"though she hadn't been among the attackers"

I knew it (that first assumption, not the theory)

"power to forward deflectors."

switch all power to front (beat) deflector screens

"Ia! Shub-Niggurath"

it's Iä, not Ia... do you have umlauts on your keyboard?

"and snapped his fingers"

that's the most important part

"because then Harry would figure out how to game the rules"

loophole abuse, like renaming yourself George Fred or founding the Harry Potter school of awesomeness

"Don't be frightened, don't be sad,

We'll only hurt you if you're bad..."

it has a very horrifying quality to it, like singing Santa Clause is coming to town in a dragged out and creepy voice

"It was a very easy battle, right? They dropped like flies?"

the same tactic that Neville used, she is so clever

and I was sort of right

"We can do anything if we study hard enough!"

she defeated her enemies AND managed to get(get, not shoehorn) a good aesop into it... she's brilliant
33,862 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,305 1,312 1,313 1,314 1315 1,316 1,317 1,318 1,325 .. Last Next »