Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
unnamed2 chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
particularlygoodfinders, Hermione wasn't shifting the definition of a hero, she was disagreeing with Quirrell about what it takes to become a hero. Quirrell presented the view that the way to become a hero who does extraordinary things is to have an extraordinary goal - an ambition that is outside the bounds of what ordinary people aim at. Hermione disagrees - she thinks that you can become a hero who does extraordinary things while pursuing the thoroughly ordinary and commonplace goal of doing what's right. What's unusual about a hero is their willingness and ability to actually follow through on that goal and take it wherever it leads them.
AnFan-n-More chapter 10 . 2/22/2011
One problem I have with the conversation with the hat is something I've already pointed to in a previous review. Though it may point to the major conflict inside of Harry.

The conflict is between what he said earlier, "Harry opened his eyes and stumbled to a halt, feeling vaguely dirtied by having made a deliberate effort to believe something.", and the fear of failing in what ever specifics matter to him.

I like the new house of doom fear that McGonagall had :) I like how you've proven to her that Harry did infect the hat with that joke.
ARMH chapter 28 . 2/22/2011
Finally a success. Partial Transfiguration isn't an ideal weapon against Voldemort but at least it's better than love. I liked the revised prophecy.
Darkly Dreaming chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Did I miss something with the chicken thing? Does Dumbledore actually have a phoenix, or was the fiery chicken thing just a way to explain that? Or was Harry just thinking it was a chicken because it's what his rational brain can understand?

Overlooked Supporting Cast chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Tracey Davis may very well be my new favorite character in the history of everything. There is something so endearingly *real* about a little girl who is determined to *matter* at any cost, though she doesn't yet know why. Even if she never grows beyond this running gag of a personality, I will smile each and every time she makes an appearance.

On a completely different note, there is something sad and sweet about watching Quirrel wax poetic on the failings of humanity as witnessed by cynical observation, contrasted against Hermione recognizing the same foibles by living through them. I could probably write a solid twelve inches on that subject, but I haven't the time at the moment. Thank you, again, for another delightful installment in my favorite serial adventure.
AnFan-n-More chapter 9 . 2/22/2011
Forgot to mention last review, but you've also shown Harry's caring side to key characters. It's a good complement to the confusion he's been spreading. People will need a reason to put up with his eccentricities and the way he can throw them for a loop.

I do remember what's coming up next chapter, and I look forward to it with relish :)
TheWiseSirIvanTheShadowLord chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
The girls definitely sound like 11-12 year old children doing something just because they were told they shouldn't and getting all caught up in their cleverness while they are at it.

Of course Hermione, who tends to display rationale tendencies on occasion when she isn't irrationally following a single line of logic or thought to the exclusion of almost all else, is starting to realize the negative connotations about being heroinic that she was ignoring in favor the positive connotations.

I did love Quirrell pointing out the Dark Wizard bit implying that males are just more likely to overtly mess with people both as Dark and hunters of the Dark. What was not said/implied is the concept that females appear to be more likely to mess with people in a non-overt way (calling it subtle would be giving many way too much credit). I also enjoyed his gender-neutral stance on the potential abuses of power between wizard/witch and a muggle.

If I lived in New York and not Alabama I would be more than merely interested in attending your meeting on the 28th.
Borror0 chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
"I think mostly because I worry too much that people will hate dialogue-heavy sections."

This is just to say I *love* dialogue-heavy chapters the most.
particularlygoodfinders chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I can't believe that Quirrell let Hermione's equivocation/definition shift of 'hero' slide. She changes the accepted definition of a hero (someone who does extraordinary things, more or less) which she no doubt used in her tally (if she only found 12 in the last 40 years) to the following:

1. Does what's right, repeatedly

2. Not lazy

3. Thoughtful

4. Brave

I would have thought Quirrell would tear that to pieces before making his dramatic exit.

Anyway, another excellent chapter.
AnFan-n-More chapter 8 . 2/22/2011
I love how you have an intimidated Hermione. :)

You may have wanted to increase that last bit of back and forth at the end: "The ensuing quiz and counter-quiz went on for several minutes before being interrupted by another timid knock at the door." The reason being, that you are implying in this sentence that Hermione developed some energy in her communications with Harry, but it doesn't show with only that one sentence and you have to think twice before it is evident.

I also like how you've shot and if not killed canon Hermione, that you've wounded her severely. :) The biting whit is fun to read.
Zicou chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
ohoh :) they are in deep sh** :)

Awesome chapter!

ByLanternLight chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I love Dumbledore. Really I do.
potterinu chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Yes oh yes lets see what they get themselves into. This plotline with the girls would make a great story of its own.
boonerunner chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Dumbledore just told Hermione that you can't LEARN to be a hero. Which is to say that he just challenged the most brilliant witch at Hogwarts to a contest in her stongest area of expertise.

By the end of the year it's only going to be Harry who hasn't made it through the forbidden corridor. Unless, of course, it's like the emperor's new clothes and nobody who said they did has ACTUALLY been through the corridor yet.
Thagguy chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Really love how Dumbledore can go from quiet reflection on the nature of heroism and on his past with Grindelwald and Ariana (even though only he knows this), to making silly noises at 11-year olds in the span of a minute and still be completely in character.
31,008 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,305 1,312 1,313 1,314 1315 1,316 1,317 1,318 1,325 .. Last Next »