Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Kirinin chapter 7 . 12/19/2010
Thank you for your love letter to science.

Kirinin chapter 6 . 12/19/2010
You *almost* oversold Harry's rant to McGonagall. Typically, my issues with this sort of story is the tendency to create superpowered!Harry, who is boring and predictable; and he usually starts off by dismissing all authority figures, even clever ones. In the previous chapter, you saved him by making Draco just as clever, and willing to play along; in this chapter, you saved him by having him be literally sick at his own audacity. But you got a lot closer than in previous chapters to making me roll my eyes at Harry and dismiss him purely as a bastion of incoherent rantiness and self-righteousness.

Harry'd already heard there was a war and that his parents died in said war, but he made light of death in front of people who had recently experienced it, even if he was regretful directly after. In other words, he was careless because he thought he was being funny. This makes it seem as though McGonagall is right not to trust Harry entirely, to assume that he is a child with a child's understanding of the world, no matter how clever.

McGonagall's decision not to trust Harry with the full story later in this chapter doesn't seem to stem from an excessive distrust of either Harry or children, even if she uses this as a ready excuse at first: no one knows the full story save she, Snape, and Dumbledore, as she point out later; it is 'secret'. Harry the rationalist should also know that in no way does she 'owe' him the truth as she sees it. (Why should she?) It should be his responsibility to discover the truth, not McGonagall's responsibility to hand it to him.

Forgive my own rantiness, here: this is a pet peeve of mine in this sort of story, I guess. The back-in-time!Harry, dark!Harry, bright!Harry... they all behave similarly when confronted with adult authority. They want every adult's plans laid bare to them, when those other characters probably don't tell *anyone* the full extent of their plans, and their plans aren't 'owed' to Harry. In every case, Harry assumes he is being kept out of the loop for malicious reasons, and usually whinges about how he's mature and resourceful and thoughtful enough to handle anything.

Which is hard to buy, because that tune is played on repeat by angsting teens everywhere.

Kirinin chapter 5 . 12/19/2010
Hy. Ster. Ic. Al.

It's 12:42AM so I couldn't actually ROTFL, so I was probably making noises like I was being strangled.

Kirinin chapter 1 . 12/19/2010
Huh. So I read the first chapter of your fic on your pdf file, and I officially love you. Moreover, I've noticed that the first chapter of your story on the pdf and the first chapter of your story on ff-dot-net differs. I'm guessing the pdf is the more 'recent' version, but I'm not sure. Which is it?

Lynn K. Hollander chapter 29 . 12/19/2010
'...competition might be good for Draco and I...' 'Good for I?' What were you thinking? Wrong pronoun. 'It's good for me' so it's also '...competition might be good for Draco and ME...' Check out The Transitive Vampire, by Karen Elizabeth Gordon.
MungoJerry chapter 42 . 12/19/2010
*WHARRGARHBLS at slash, foaming and chomping, realizes it doesn't affect the rest of the story, wipes away foam and moves on*
Amethyst Pheonix chapter 63 . 12/19/2010
You've crafted something completely amazing here. I really can't wait for the next chapter sometime in the next few weeks. I'm sure that it will be awesome.

Happy Writing!
neokid93 chapter 33 . 12/19/2010
I'm really impressed with this story and it makes me laugh enough every once in awhile to make up for the darker bits. I really enjoy all the math and physics and mostly, I enjoy the references to things that not everyone knows. I got the Ender's Game reference easily as I loved the book, but the one that really made me laugh in realization was the Gurren Lagann reference...I'm only slightly disappointed to say that I did not get it with the first breakind drill spell, but when it was described and named I noticed. If it had been my boyfriend (a true fan of the series) he would have probably gotten it as soon as he read the word "drill". Now if I can just get him to read a Harry Potter fanfiction...I suppose the TV tropes connection might help snare him. Anyways, I would like to thanks you for the admirable job that you have done so far and tell you that I look forward to reading the rest of the story and appreciate all the planning that you have put into writing it. :)
Draeconin chapter 22 . 12/19/2010
I wasn't going to say anything, but with the advent of the dialog containing '5 is unlikely for the same reason', I feel I have to. People cannot speak numerals. They speak words. Numerals are symbols to make working with numbers easier. It might be a pain, but when writing dialog, at least, numbers need to be written out.
justwanttocomment chapter 39 . 12/19/2010
Oh Harry. He thinks that if there's no evidence for something's existence then that something cannot exist. C'mon, a true scientist wouldn't have that bias!

Wonderful fanfiction - you seem to understand so many of the character's positions, and it's rare to see such an insightful work. Thank you for your writing!
w chapter 24 . 12/19/2010
A nice one. Death Note reference. "Harry's eyes should have been cold. They weren't. The voice should have made it a deadly threat. It wasn't." nice line.

"And today's scientists had a pretty good guess at what that runaway evolutionary process had been." - oh yeah? How about a reference.
doconnor chapter 24 . 12/19/2010
It's odd that Harry want's to keep his discovery secret. It's keeping secrets that is leading to the reduction of magic. Muggles may risk nuclear war by sharing science, but if one did occur it would take less then 100 years to recover. The wizards having been going backward for centuries.

Maybe Harry has a plan he is keeping from me.

Are all Wizard plays plagiarized from Anime?
w chapter 23 . 12/19/2010
The DNA explanation is long and mostly Harry talking.

You like Harold Shea too much. And the dragon.

Gom jabbar is nice. And Draco's anger. And the escape method.
Draeconin chapter 5 . 12/18/2010
Oh, this chapter was even better than the other! My cheeks hurt!
Draeconin chapter 2 . 12/18/2010
LOL Hilarious! You had me laughing out loud - not easy to do. :D
29,806 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,308 1,315 1,316 1,317 1318 1,319 1,320 1,321 1,328 .. Last Next »