Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
cocain2 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
OMG and I thought that Ron was a jealous git in books,but he's got nothing on this version of for the love of God just reduce her role in the story like you did with Hagrid.I simply can't stand the way Harry turns into a crying loser everytime she's even mildly upset with character has gone so far past the point of annoying that I can barely even read this otherwise great story.I know she's just 12 and being childish is normal but I doubt many people want to read about the growing pains of a twelve year old girl,yet this is turning into a major part of the storyline.I agree that character development is important but the way you are handling this is just painfully annoying for I the only one who was thinking "Fluff" while reading this chapter!
Dain chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Wow, no-one looked particularly good in this chapter. Quirrelmort finally found a way to drive a real wedge between Hermione and Harry. Ironically, contrary to his previous attempts, he used Hermione as the weak link - and it worked!

What I don't understand is how two battles were enough for Quirrel to decide that Harry had become too strong, even though he essentially cheated and they had dozens of battles before that (where we never saw Chaos win). That seems to me to be a bit heavy-handed, along with the sudden nerfing of the previously "perfect" Hermione and the corresponding leveling-up of Harry. It would have felt more natural if you had alluded to more than just two battles (one of which Chaos didn't even win) and the turnaround in Hermione's and Harry's relationship hadn't been an instant 180 (previously, it was almost always Hermione who triumphed in their competitions).

Hermione seems to have reverted to being a spoiled immature prodigy kid - I've serious trouble relating to her viewpoint of not wanting to be in the shadow of someone else, of wanting to be the "bestest and uniquest snowflake" in the world. It's one of life's many lessons that no matter how good and intelligent you are, inevitably there is going to be someone else who is better than you at something. That simple truth might sting and you might feel jealous, but denial won't help you either. Apparently, Hermione didn't have to learn that lesson yet.

Is everyone automatically someone else's possession merely for not being in first place? By that logic, what she really wanted was for Harry and everyone else to be her possession...her whole philosophy seems extremely hypocritical and self-centered. Exactly the same applies for her wish to "be a hero" - I hope for her sake that she doesn't come to regret that childish wish.

Dumbledore's genre-savy rambling was once again funny, yet unhelpful and counterproductive. Noone does the Dumbledore trope better than you. :)
Raven3182 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Awwww... That was a touching chapter. I hope Hermione gets to be a hero too. But more than that, I hope that she doesn't abandon Harry; that would be bad.

I do think that Dumbledore was right about one thing: we do become who we are meant to be by doing what is right. Well put.
Elle chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
"makeup washed away". REALLY? Dude, she's only twelve, she's at school... and she 's Hermione! She does NOT wear makeup!
Richard chapter 1 . 1/25/2011
It's hard to keep remembering that Quirrell has his own reasons for everything he does: that at minimumhe's both in the business of delivering object lessons and pursuing his ulterior agenda. Or, in short, bravo. I'm wondering how forcing Hermione out of her comfort zone will serve his plans... I'm also wondering why he wants Draco to declare for Harry right now. Interesting...

I like how you're expanding the cast of characters here. I think Hermione's annoying some people because she's acting 11 (or teenage) while Harry's about 30 and Draco does a good impersonation of 40, even though we know/guess/expect it's a front in his case. I think this is just a consequence of how the characters are drawn at this stage, though, and unless Hermione gets her own transformative experience... Which I could see ending tragically.

So I don't envy you this corner, but I'm looking forward to being surprised by how you slip out of it :)
Wen repaer chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Hermione is the worst character of all time. She was presented as the extremely intelligent person that she usually is but she doesn't realize that she can't beat Harry at his own game. During the battle she tried to pull that super hermione BS which Is completely outrageous, something chaos would likely employ. Instead of thinking of a way to to dispel the armor she tries some ridiculous scheme. And now she's bitching about wanting to be a hero as his equal when it's basically been established that when he really tries he'll bring the smack down on her. Obviously Hermione hasn't read into heroic Greek history where most heroes meet a grizzly end.

Personally I hope she goes insane with the need to be recognized and gets herself killed or at the least seriously maimed.

Also i'd love to see more Draco, he's one of my favorite characters in this story and I feel like he's been over shadowed by Hermione and frankly ever chapter she's in just reiterates the fact that she's just a kid who wants to be paid attention to. she will never be a hero because the first rule of being a real hero is that you never wanted to be a hero. Only children want to be 'heroes'. Adults go through everyday of life praying they'll never be put in a situation where they have to be a hero.
Froggie chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Oh Hermione, the most lovable of them all. It's a joy to read her story.
timunderwood9 chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
"I'm Harry's mysterious old wizard"

lol

Dumbledore is a maniac.
Darkly Dreaming chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
ARGH! What flash of gold? It's not a snitch. That would be stupid; they're indoors.

Can't wait for the next update!

~*SRC*~
mikhail-ling chapter 68 . 1/25/2011
Hello! It's been a while.

What Hermione went through reminded me of Fight Club, somewhat. I wonder how many people go through life thinking that they are a beautiful and unique snowflake. I wonder what happens when (if) they realise that we are just a part of the same compost pile.

Kudos on the new chapter, at any rate. Great chapter! Loved the characterisation.
Sarshi chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
What the bleep, Dumbledore? Cloud Cuckoo Lander, that one. Genre-savvy, indeed. -_-
HerrSchmidt chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Here's hoping Harry takes advantage of two major things.

One - A Chaos Army Bingo Night to determine the "winners" who get sent to the other side.

Two - Harry takes advantage of the fact that his former forces won't be trusted, leading to a chance to use them against the Armies.

Also, nice trick by Quirrel to break friendships, put pressure on Harry, AND take advantage of a vulnerable Hermione.

With luck, your later chapters will have even more interesting things to see.
firedraygon chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Hermione! I'm really happy for this chapter, to let her grow a bit more as her own character. Fantastic work. Please write more soon!

~fd97
Rosa Mundi chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Yes. I like the idea of heroic Hermione and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Work Designer chapter 68 . 1/24/2011
Loved the self actualisation series and this update was profound. Gives a real sense of how well-rounded people live in a fictional universe in the midst of legendary threats.

Wait a minute, you're seeking to save the world in the real world, too. Wow! I never actually thought about it this way. Thanks, Eliezer, for sharing your heart's feelings, or an extremely good simulation of the same. I wish Harry well in his quest, but almost infinitely more, wish you the very best in your quest to prevent the annihilation of Goodness from our universe.
30,537 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,308 1,315 1,316 1,317 1318 1,319 1,320 1,321 1,328 .. Last Next »