Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Isa Knightwalker chapter 44 . 7/17/2011
omg the kiss that saved the day lol, that was great.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 43 . 7/17/2011
I can't edit my last review (or can I? Not sure if allows that and too lazy to figure it out), but I'm starting to think (after reading another review of that chapter) that it was the Animagi secret that Sirius would have wanted to hide since that makes so much more sense that I can't believe I didn't think of that and Lupin just went with the lover thing lol. Or I hope so anyway because omg, Sirius/Peter. (Although also kind of insulting how there were so many reviews that hated it because Peter was not portrayed as being very attractive as though love is only acceptable when it is between attractive people- although admittedly the media and our culture pretty much says that as well but it is still annoying to read people say that since I'd think it was unreasonable given that Sirius seemed a bit mean towards Peter even when they were friends in OotP.)

Also are gay relationships more accepted in the wizard world? (Not sure if that is just your fanfiction or that was said someone in the canon/interviews/etc). Since Dumbledore wasn't exactly open in the sense that everyone really knew and there weren't any other LGBT characters that I recall, so it doesn't actually seem like a more accepting society to me.

Also kind of weird though that those girls would be sexualizing other 11 year olds since it's unlikely they are really that attractive/sexy at that age. (I suppose you could argue that people actually do write fanfics about them but I would assume they would be focused on the 16/17 Harry and Draco instead of their young selves).

Anyway, for this chapter:

"I am allowed to teach the Killing Curse to students who wish to learn it." - That just seems so wrong, especially since some of them are so young that they shouldn't be able to use it anyway. Plus using it should send someone to Azkaban, so how would they learn it really? (I suppose on animals, but that is just super sad too).

Interesting interpretation of Dementors (since I always thought everyone would see the same thing since they were creatures with a specific form, not like a Boggart), not sure if that is your creation but I assume so since I never heard that before. Also wow, Harry is so terrible sometimes. His parents were dying and doing anything to save his life and he thinks of them as failures? Also weird that you made Lily attempt to kill Voldemort, not sure why you made that change as well. So many changes, it drives me crazy at times since you keep changing so many significant plot points.

Interesting chapter overall, can't wait to see what happens next :3

Also Fawkes is so awesome! /random but I love when Fawkes appears~
Isa Knightwalker chapter 42 . 7/17/2011
That awkward moment when Harry says there is no excuse for bullying others when he made excuses for himself bullying Neville originally lol. (Although yeah, MWPP's bullying was obviously disgusting too). Anyway, so glad you brought Remus into the story!

"Harry was crying, he couldn't help it, it hurt worse to hear it from Remus than anything he'd ever felt himself. Harry had lost two parents he didn't remember, knew only from stories. Remus Lupin had lost all four of his best friends in less than twenty-four hours; and for the loss of his last remaining one, Peter Pettigrew, there'd just been no reason at all." - That made me tear up a bit, really sad when you think about Lupin's life in general.

Okay, so "They were lovers, weren't they?" -I can only think you mean Peter and Sirius from that context and wtf, are you serious? That sounds so wrong lol. I'm hoping you secretly mean someone else. (It's not the slash that bothers me since I love some slash pairings if I think the characters fit well, but I totally do not think Peter and Sirius fit together based on how they interacted and such). On that note, I loved the line about almost all girls being killed if girls who liked slash/yaoi were killed, very funny.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 41 . 7/17/2011
Oh I love Draco and Hermione working together! Tbh, I'm not sure if this fic will have pairings and if so, if it will really be HHr or DHr now (since most people list that in the summary and you didn't). Not that I mind since I like both and in general I don't care much about the main character pairings as long as they are pretty well written. lol at the Dramione Army name at any rate and I loved how Draco did save her at first. Lovely chapter!
Incog chapter 7 . 7/17/2011
(wow, it's nice seeing how many reviews get added in the space of a couple of hours. I wonder what it would take to make this truly go viral, though?)

"Apparently, for magical purposes, his luggage had also managed to believe with sufficient strength to pass through the barrier. "

hee D

""Er, what, mate?"

Not headed for Ravenclaw, I take it. "Yes, I'm Harry Potter.""

...yeah, that exchange was a bit mean to Ron.

""So let me get this straight," Harry said as it seemed that Ron's explanation (with associated hand gestures) was winding down. "Catching the Snitch is worth one hundred and fifty points?"""

You do not understand how much I love you for addressing one of my biggest pet peeves. The absolute absurdity of Quidditch is something that has always driven me bonkers.

(Although, while Harry's idea is to get rid of the snitch, I wonder if it might not be interesting to keep the snitch as a game-ender, just without any point value. That automatically makes strategy a bit complicated, since you now want to catch the snitch at the exact right moment while preventing the other team from catching it at any of the wrong ones... I mean, you might have to redesign the snitch to be something other than a tiny fast gold ball, but still...

and without the weirdness of the snitch Quidditch /does/ end up being basketball on broomsticks.)

The facedown between Ron and Draco ends radically differently from the books (duh). I personally am completely willing to buy this. In the book, Draco is the one who says he won't hang out with people who talk to Weasleys. In the fic, Ron says he won't hang out with people who talk to Malfoys. I see both as perfectly reasonable, coming from the characters, and it just so happened that in your fic Ron got the chance to put his foot in his mouth first.

I do wish you'd been a bit kinder to him, though. I didn't really like Ron that much in the books but you could have painted a slightly more nuanced picture of him than "utter idiot".

""I just, just..." Harry searched for words.

"Don't see any reason for him to exist?" offered Draco."

...of course this presumably is your exact line of thought while removing him from the story.

(The truth of the matter is, in a sense I'm inclined to agree. Draco serves a function as a foil, and a challenge, yadda yadda. In addition to being a friend. Ron, in the books, was just there to be a friend and occasionally to angst about not being special. Still, sometimes a friend is just a friend...))

"People will judge you by who they see you with, and you don't want to be seen with the likes of Ron Weasley."

Harry nodded again. "

See, again, a bit harsh on the Ron here. There's no reason for Harry to nod instead of thinking "woah, woah".

"I'm so completely going to be in Ravenclaw, thank you very much. I only want power so I can get books."

whee, another one of the lines from this fic that I quote like crazy.

the dialogue between Harry and Draco about fathers and manipulation and such is lovely (and, well, the sort of conversation Ron and Harry would never have... I had a whole rant analyzing why your Draco-Harry arrangement allows for more complex contrasting, but whatever)

Comed Tea is hilarious. HILARIOUS. Some of the times, the reader is less shocked than Harry is (like when Dumbledore says the magic words of power, since we know Dumbledore already, whereas Harry doesn't), but I can promise you, had I been drinking soda, I, too, would have sprayed it all over my keyboard at the Quibbler headline.

"BOY-WHO-LIVED GETS

DRACO MALFOY PREGNANT

Harry's lips opened and said, "buh-bluh-buh-buh..."

Too many competing objections, that was the problem. Every time Harry tried to say "But we're only eleven!" the objection "But men can't get pregnant!" demanded first priority and was then run over by "But there's nothing between us, really!"""

You know this is even funnier when I remember the omake D

alright, now here we get to the sensitive part.

I know you already heard a lot about this section.

So.

I definitely appreciate what you did hear in terms of how very many fics about Malfoy end up being him being snarky and snobby and cool and not really evil at all. Which is a total cop-out.

It is true that there is something positively bizarre about this conversation coming from the mouths of /eleven-year-old boys/, though.

Mostly, I'm able to accept this conversation because I'm under the impression that Draco hasn't the slightest clue what rape actually means, just that it's something he's heard other people say they're going to do.

It is also a bit weird that Harry continues calmly talking after being this horrified.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 40 . 7/17/2011
Quirrel seems so evil. Not sure if I really like him, but he's definitely an interesting character in the story to have. Anyway, interesting chapter :3
annonymous chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
was very poorly written didn't get into this one bit at all. It was just so boring and poorly written, your better off making children books than trying to write this stuff.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 39 . 7/17/2011
Does Harry really want every person to be able to live forever? I mean obviously the Earth could in no way support that many people (given the damage that current and past population levels have managed to inflict). Plus there is not definite evidence there is a planet out there that could support people (although one would assume so, but atm no possible means of reaching that place anyway afaik), so I don't really get why Harry would seriously try for immortality for all humans when the planet could not support all of them, probably even with magic.

Anyway, interesting chapter!
Isa Knightwalker chapter 38 . 7/17/2011
Great chapter~
Isa Knightwalker chapter 37 . 7/17/2011
(or my slow internet connection) wouldn't let me review the last chapter iirc, so this is for both 36 & 37~

Awesome and lovely chapters :3
raffitz chapter 11 . 7/17/2011
The only moment in my life in which I laughed almost as much as when reading this was when I was reading the Madame Malkin's incident. Seriously, will you marry me? Ok, not seriously. But having the hat yell KHAAAAN! was awesome. I absolutely adore this fanfic. I mean, it involves Harry/Hermione, which is very good; It's extremely instructive, much more so than the books themselves or any other fic I've read, which is certainly more than very good; and the bloody thing is extremely hilarious. I congratulate you on tempting me to steal your brain and merge it with mine (sorry. I'm extremely good at maths and physics, but not quite to your level. And I also know Pi up to the sixth digit, although I plan on one day learning it up to Feynman point so I can make the "999999 and so on" joke of apparent periodicity). It's a true privilege to read your take on the Harry Potter saga.
Bittersweet Freedom chapter 68 . 7/17/2011
I understand what you're doing and why: you want us to look at things from Hermoine's point of view, but ftbjhzrgifsafjklk - I can't find within myself to sympathize with her. I think she's being incredibly selfish and childish.

And I get thar she's supposed to be childish because she's only 12 and whatnot, but... well, I myself have never been particularly ambitious and have never really relished the role as leader/hero/person who everyone is depending upon even when I was little... That could be why I can't sympathize. I'd probably have been sorted into Hufflepuff.

Well, knowing you you've probably found some way to redeem her and make me love her again, so I've probably written this for nothing... Then again might be for her not to be redeemed so Harry has nothing holding him back from siding with Quirell who I love so much. :D
Isa Knightwalker chapter 35 . 7/17/2011
I'm glad that Harry isn't actually planning to destroy the muggle society or anything (since I sometimes wonder what side he is truly on besides his own). Although I'm starting to think he has Mudblood as many times as Draco at this point. I'm curious about what he asked Quirrel. I had assumed he'd ask to learn that outer space spell, but it seems like a more serious matter.

Also I'm glad that Dumbledore really isn't that evil, you had me worried for a second that your Dumbledore was seriously having people hurt in order to win a school game or something.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 34 . 7/17/2011
Great chapter, very interesting!
Isa Knightwalker chapter 33 . 7/17/2011
I loved "But Zabini does have a mother who doesn't approve of Muggleborns like Granger," since it shows that Harry has gotten to Draco and he is now using terms besides just Mudblood.

Also, all of the twists are awesome! This chapter was another one of my favorites. I can't wait to see what Zabini will end up doing.
32,882 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,308 1,315 1,316 1,317 1318 1,319 1,320 1,321 1,328 .. Last Next »