Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Jonathan chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
Brilliant.

I hope that your request does not end up hurting you or the institute...
ironhair chapter 4 . 8/27/2011
I think I'm in love with you.

Engaging, believable and downright hilarious.

Loved the arbitrage and the way he gets MacG to give him a higher allowance (for now).
ironhair chapter 2 . 8/27/2011
BRILLIANT !

I love the way this story is going and the characterizations.

I might not be able to leave a review after every chapter as I'm going to be greedy right now and want to read all the chapters as fast as my eyes can go, but I will try my best.

Please don't be the same as me and copy it as an author :p

oh btw.. #include "stddisclaimer.h"

LOL ! Nice one.
ironhair chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
I came here because of nonjon.

From your 1st chapter, I'll say this is a brilliant AU.

Loved the way he sealed his own letter.

The number of chapters sure startled me, but in a nice way :)
WinterhartZahneelCalina chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
You have created an addiction. I started this story on Wednesday night, have ignored my homework (and most everything else) in favor of instead reading this story. This story is amazing and I definately wish I would have thought of something this awesome for the Harry Potter universe. It's wonderful that you've managed to so beautifully merge magic and science. (admittedly it also made me realise just how much of a nerd I am since I actually understood the scientific examples you used)

I cannot wait until you post the next chapters of this story. Keep up the amazing work.
Aleurites chapter 72 . 8/27/2011
Hah, this drama stuff is getting funny. Just how offended some of you are is pretty hilarious. A few 5 paragraph reviews with a vendetta about how awful and uncreative and horrible of a person the author is, hahaha...I'm sure your all brooding on it all day long just all supper pissed off at the guy.

Entertaining chapter by the way, very mysterious.
Anon aka Chicken chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
Alright, huff, huff, lets get started.

The chapter was brilliant, as ever, and well worth the wait. We get to see SPHEW in action, and Tonks is brought in to it, which can only be a good thing, however brief her appearance was. It's also funny to see that, despite Hermione's intelligence, Harry is still a step ahead of her (at the end of the chapter)

Glad to see that at least one of the girls thought to use the help of an older student. These children are all so Griffindor sometimes.

Seeing as everyone here is jumping down your throat about the SIAS donations, I am going to say this. Your request may not be against the rules, but it is not respecting what fanfiction is about. I am alright with you advertising your fic as the no. 1 most reviewed on this archive, it is an accomplishment, and something to be proud of. However, advertising your work? And trying to get money off it?

Taking longer to update you fic if people don't donate seems slightly immoral. We're all here to have fun, not behave like the adults we may or may not be. You may consider this well earned because of the time you have put into MoR, but when it comes down to it, this is a hobby, something fanfiction writers do because they enjoy it.

THAT SAID, all you flamers, who come in saying that the author is a bad person or whatever, you seem to have forgotten the first rule of flaming; DO NOT ATTACK THE AUTHOR. You never attack the author in a review. You don't like their work? Criticise the WORK, tell them how to make it better. You may consider it fair game to tell off the author in this case, because you are referring to an A/N, but I assure you; if you disagree with something the author said, tell them you don't like that part, NOT that you don't like them. Lets try and keep this impersonal, shall we?

And finally, lets all try and get this into perspective, please. THIS IS A is not some multimillion dollar work which people revolve their entire lives around; it. is. fun. I don't like reading about Harry Potter politics coming into play, and when I say that, I am referring to the stated interaction between Less Wrong and Dark Lord Potter. Take a fricking chill pill, everyone, step away from the surrounding ridiculousness and focus on the writing, yes?

This is one VERY unhappy chicken.
Alex Mennen chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
Good chapter. I was among those who thought that the Self-Actualization sequence was inferior to the rest of the story, but this chapter seems closer to the awesomeness that I normally expect from MoR. Glad to hear that you have several more chapters lined up, and that the fundraiser appears to be going reasonably well now.
becuzitswrong chapter 39 . 8/27/2011
Loved the chat between Dumbledore and Harry. Neither can see the other's point. I admire Harry his skepticism for the afterlife. I share it. I also admire his reason for not becoming an evil wizard. Because we are the light in the universe. Awesome.
Megan McAlistair chapter 22 . 8/27/2011
well if magic was fading then enchanted/charmed/jinxed/whatever objects from way back then (a few centuries ago) would be weaker now

but what if the whole "The universe wants you to say Wingardium Leviosa" is because magic can "imprint" rules onto reality?

so whoever made up the spell defined it forever...?
kiramyo chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
I would like to say I enjoyed this piece of fiction, but it would be a lie. In fact, the lack of proper characterization, or even coherent plot, make it difficult to even classify as a piece of fiction. Instead, what Methods of Rationality is, is a soapbox, upon which you stand to bleat to the world your values and ideals from a number of, essentially, authorial mouthpieces. Which is great, in its own way (despite you not coming off nearly as intelligent as you seem to think you are, based on your general attitude toward criticism). I suppose. The problem is that you continue to try to pass it off as a piece of creative writing, when it's relatively clear that the creative part of your writing is non-existent; the fact that you have place unrecognizable characters in a barely-recognizable world and labeled it Harry Potter rather than taking the time to build your own world from which to soapbox from is testament to this.

It's clear to me-and anyone with a modicum of common sense-that you write this in the Harry Potter universe (barely) with the sole intent of garnering more readers. You've made this clear by advertising it as the number one most-reviewed story in the fandom despite most of the reviews lacking any kind of substance that remotely resembles an actual review. Worse, you're now using the "fame" the Harry Potter universe has garnered you for the financial gain of an organization which basic research points toward you being a founding member of. You can argue all you want that said organization is not-for-profit, but the fact remains that any financial gain, for any reason whatsoever, based around your writing (i.e. increasing update rates for money) is clear-cut copyright infringement, well beyond the Fair Use grey-area it currently resides in.

Essentially, you do not own the IP, and you (or an associated organization) is receiving money for a service which includes copyright-protected writings. Mentally replace "not-for-profit organization" with "my bank account" and you will clearly understand why it would not be acceptable in that form, and why it is not acceptable in this one. This is illegal and endangers the entire Harry Potter fanfiction community, simply because you are too arrogant to accept the realities of the law. Please, in the future, think with the rational mind you seem so proud of (yet fail to employ) before doing things.

Thanks.

-kiramythos
Mesterio chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
I love this story. Its made me approach thinking about things differently not only in harry potter, but about real life. Thank you for bringing this hand crafted tale into the world, as it brings everyone just a little closer to appreciating the complexities of life.
Mikko Rauhala chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
Good to have MoR back. Heir of Hufflepuff 3, though getting past the SPHEW focus will be nice...

While I don't give a crap about modifying the schedule slightly (ie. not even holding the works hostage) according to a donation drive results, copyright _is_ a hugely blunt instrument that can _and_ has been used quite arbitrarily to stifle expression, so I can sort of understand worries some might have of provoking a crackdown. That being said, posts that bother to mention it don't generally seem to suffer from a sense of proportion.
Professor Sycamore chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
"JKR said no commercialization, which if it doesn't prohibit FF running ads, certainly doesn't prohibit accelerating a publication schedule if a charity meets donation goals."

A charity, Eliezer, that paid you roughly $88K in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Now, the money for your salary did not come out of the public donations to SIAI, but you do have a very clear personal and financial interest in making sure that this nonprofit is well funded. I find your framing SIAI as just another charity to be evasive if not downright deceptive. Soliciting donations may have been the correct utilitarian choice, and I actually do applaud you for making judicious use of soapboxes while you are able to stand on them, but this is fairly clear violation of 's rules. If not the legal text than certainly the spirit of them, and what you are seeing from the community here is a violation of the trust they have in to be one of the few places on the internet where the goal of creating content is for the sake of the content, not for the sake of being paid.

To tack on a review to this, since I haven't left one yet and this post is supposed to be a review, this fanfic is one of the most entertaining things I have ever read and I have gotten several friends hooked on it as well.
Krylenta chapter 73 . 8/27/2011
The plot may make my brain ache, but I'm thourlly hooked. Took me three days to read too, and I wonter ever know how I did it cuz this stroy is so long!
33,400 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,309 1,316 1,317 1,318 1319 1,320 1,321 1,322 1,329 .. Last Next »