Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
jeweltheif500 chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
I have this story on my alerts... so when I googled "Harry Potter fanfiction" looking for more, and saw the link to this story, I thought I'd tell you!
Suzume chapter 21 . 12/8/2010
This story is amazing! Please continue writing, and a Happy Christmas to you!
Squeamish chapter 4 . 12/8/2010
A billion is a pretty big number.

Fermi-wise, estimating that the amazing new world of being rich was a billion times less interesting than the amazing new world of magic seems like it implies that he should have done that estimate first and skipped holding on a moment and doing the calculation.

On the other hand, if the cost of making the estimates is small compared to the wasted time of even walking into the vault to look at the riches, then it makes sense. Especially if the level of richness is sufficient to make the study of the amazing new world of magic more effective.

This chapter worthy of outright admiration, but getting access to his riches will be more valuable than just a billionth of the time available in Harry's first year (or thirty years).
Ladylaurel chapter 63 . 12/8/2010
I just want your Christmas present to be five figures worth of reviews. I don't actually have anything interesting to say. Y'know, beyond the whole 'your story is awesome' thing.
Tremario chapter 8 . 12/8/2010
Yay this story is amazing! I am just on chapter 8, and I already love it...I've been looking for a scientific story like this one for a while. Thanks, I will continue to read with great alacrity :)
James chapter 63 . 12/7/2010
Really enjoying this story and the characters (perhaps too much, as I've been failing to get my own work done for the last two days). Looking forward to the next instalment.

Since the little note down the bottom says to offer tips for improvement, if it concerns you, there are a few words/spellings here and there that might be changed to the British rather than American versions (e.g. 'maths' instead of 'math').
Cate B chapter 63 . 12/7/2010
Hey, wow! I finally discovered this fic. (Late to the party much?)

I just finished reading and it was pretty damn AMAZING. There were so many good and clever and interesting parts, I can't even begin to list them all. My favorite was probably when Harry got his Ender on during the lake battle.

Having just read the whole thing (Chp 1-63) in almost one sitting, I have to say that the Azkaban (TSPE) arc was a little too drawn out. I get that it was momentous and important. But TWELVE chapters, that was mostly just Harry sitting around THINKING THINGS? It was a little much.

I loved the story, and will definitely be checking back in a month or so to find out what happens next!
celine.sLineC-Line chapter 5 . 12/7/2010
This story is so funny!

sorry i don't know other word i am french, but, i love this story!
ZoobsMaroobs chapter 60 . 12/7/2010
In response to the line "One entity who wore the shape of a man in his late thirties and already balding, and another mind that wore the form of an eleven-year-old boy with a scar upon his forehead."

Harry's not an AI in one of Ben Goertzel's sim worlds is he? And that's why magic exists? The author wouldn't do anything that predictable, would he?
open-sketchbook chapter 63 . 12/7/2010
I'll do a more complex review when you've finished the story (it's my goal to review only every story I read to completion; a sort of review counter counter revolution (One could accurately say it is anti-antidisestablishmentary)

Anyway, I have to say that as a rationalist and lurker on Less Wrong from before this story started, you've packaged the tenants of rationality into a beautiful bit-sized package, but also made it much more real. It is much easier to pattern your thinking when you have a character to pattern it after than a lecture to try and follow, though obviously the lecture is also important.

Also, the story is really good and I wanna see where it goes.
Dwst chapter 63 . 12/6/2010
With concern for Harry's dilemmas being too complex to describe simply, for his thoughts to seem inhuman, an author's preaching soapbox, this chapter does a very good job. Although the last sentence extends the reader's awareness of his ignorance even further, and although nary a thread is raveled in the whole chapter, there is a very satisfying, soothing, sense of a complete step being taken along the narrative's path.
squibghost chapter 3 . 12/6/2010
Splendid concept. Not quite sure how and why "Harry" is so precocious - sort of an advanced "A Level" ten year old. After Chapter one I wondered why he wasn't created as an OC. However, once we got to the Leaky things started to resolve.

Still, brainiac Harry could use some explaining. Are wizarding brains different?

I've always looked at the magic in JKR's world as a way of bending the rules of math and physics, not as a different or higher, or more acurate set of rules.

I'll enjoy seeing where you go with this.
andaere chapter 63 . 12/6/2010
Wow. It's not often that I'm intimidated to review a story, but... I am for this one. I feel like there's nothing new that can be said (I mean, you have nearly ten thousand reviews!), but I'll try.

Okay, let's start with honesty. I started reading this because it was long, well-written, had a LOT of reviews, an intresting premise, and I thought it was complete. I didn't really care about rationality, I barely even knew what it was. But, as can be expected, while reading this I found rationality very interesting. Being interested in psychology, I particlarily liked reading about all the different experiments that rationalists have done. You also brought to my mind just how ridiculous the world of Harry Potter is when you think about it. But in a good way - I mean, I can tell that you like Harry Potter, you're not just parodying it to make fun of it.

Now, on to the actual story. It's fascinating. I love how different everything became just by making Harry a rationalist and Duresly-free. I'm intrigued by Harry and his "dark side", and how he tries so hard to be a good person but sometimes goes about it in all the wrong way.

You write extremely well. I often found myself laughing aloud at your jokes. Your writing is so absorbing that I read this instead of the actual books I was reading often, and whenever there was a spare moment I was like, "Oh, time to read more of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality!"

Your character introspection is great (for lack of a better word), too. And you manage to make concepts like rationality which, in all honesty, I might find boring otherwise interesting when it's Harry trying to figure something out.

What I like the most about this story, though, is the interaction between the characters (specifically, Harry and the others). I remember at the beginning I had my fingers crossed that Harry and Draco would be friends (or at least not rivals). You delievered on that one, and I'm always curious to see the boys play off on each other. Harry's relationship with Professor Quirrell is also fascinating - in a weird way, I love that Harry picked Quirrell as a mentor over Dumbledore. Although, I remember that when I first read your Quirrell I was shocked, because in the book he's portrayed as a stuttering, fearful idiot but in your story he's really someone to be respected and feared. I feel like Harry losing his trust in the Professor will ultimiately be for the best, though, because when someone convinces you to break the Dark Lord's most faithful servant out of Azkaban when you're only eleven they might not be all that good for you. (About that, it really interests me in how you described Azkaban and Harry's reaction to it. I never gave much thought to it, but it must be horrible.)

Out of all the realtionships, though, I like the ones best with Harry and a "good person" (or at least a good influence). Like Harry and Professor McGonagall. I love how she obviously cares for Harry but worries about him, too, and how Harry really wants her to be proud of him. I think my favorite relationship is the one between Harry and Hermione, though. I love how you portray Hermione as the epitome of a good person, because she really is. And how they're friends even though Harry scares Hermione sometimes... and I don't normally ship Harry/Hermione (not when Ron's in the picture - speaking of, it's weird to read a Harry Potter 'fic like this and really not have much Ron, but you write so well that I don't mind), but I can't help but think that when these two group up in your 'fic, they'd make a very cute couple. They do right now, in a platonic way. ;)

Hmm... I think I've said everything I wanted to for the moment. At first I was disappointed when I found out this isn't a completed story, but then relieved when I found out it's been updated often, and then sad when I found out you're going on hiatus, and now I'm just excited to read a new chapter at some point in time. So thank you very much for writing this, and story for this excruciatingly long, rambling review. Thanks again for writing this and happy holidays!
Mistress Storm chapter 5 . 12/6/2010
You just have to make Draco and Harry friends so that that continues! That was the funniest thing I ever read! I loved the whole scenario! God, I hope they become friends!
Vampyromaniac chapter 63 . 12/6/2010
Loved the references to

1. The massively, unnecessarily convoluted plan used by Barty Crouch Jr in olf Fire to transport Harry to Voldemort, that could have, and should have, failed at any number of points.

2. Molly Weasley taking out Bellatrix Black in Deathly Hallows.

It's references like these that are best appreciated by those familiar with canon, and it feels like those who haven't read the books are 'missing out'.

Great end to the arc. Does Sybill Trelawney's latest (in a very short list!) prophecy correspond with the canonical prophecy about Voldemort's servant returning to him (Peter Pettigrew in canon, Bellatrix Black in MoR)? Does it declare the return of the Dark Lord at full strength and in his own body, post-ritual? If Quirrellmort performs the ritual, will he split into mortal Quirrell and immortal Voldemort or just turn into the form of Voldemort that is most familiar to us?

At the time of writing, I found MoR to be the 2nd Google search result for 'rationality', second only to the wikipedia entry.
29,677 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,309 1,316 1,317 1,318 1319 1,320 1,321 1,322 1,329 .. Last Next »