Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
LionessAmaya chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
This was certainly an interesting read.

My brain overloaded at times, and there were points where I was ready to scream in confusion, but all in all, it was the most enjoyable thing that I've read in a while.

Your plot was, of course, amazingly original. I know that you know that already, so I won't continue to elaborate. I enjoyed seeing new takes on everything- and the note-sender being non-omnipotent was a very nice change. The contest between Harry and Hermione was also a nice little touch. There are plenty of little twists here and there, and I love how it's a serious piece with plenty of humour.

It is also all very realistic. This is a perfectly reasonable alternative to cannon, actually. You've changed certain events and that's changed other events, and this is exactly how I believe Hogwarts would end up if introduced to your Harry.

Your plot is thankfully lacking holes, as far as I can see, and it exists. Thank god. I was half expecting this to consist of Harry poking holes in everyone's thoughts about magic and whatever for twenty one chapters. Luckily, there are actual events. Hallelujah.

Your take on the characters is as original as everything else you do. Harry is of course out of character, but he has the key qualities that make him Harry. I loved his little juggling act with Draco, Hermione, etc. and his planning to take over the world, of course. Quirell was interesting. I assume that he never met Voldemort? Hermione seems very in character, and Neveille as well. Once again, you've changed things and changed everyone else to suit that, and it's worked out perfectly. Kudos to you.

I love how Harry is so mature in his knowledge and yet so childish at times. You've really done a splendid job on both him and Draco- I was rather chilled at the mention of Luna and rape and whatnot, which is undoubtedly what you intended. Professor McGonagall reacted realistically and amusingly. I also love your OC, not evil but not infallible either. Verres is a nice in the middle character and nowhere near the sad excuses for original characters I've seen recently.

The setting could use a little more description, in my opinion. This is character driven, and of course we know what Hogwarts looks like, but Harry would still be taking note of these things. Little bits here and there, notes about the Ravenclaw dormitory and cmoon room, more notes on people's appearance- you're doing well, I just think that more would make the story come alive.

Your title is perfect. I normally loathe "Harry Potter and-" as a title, but it works well here considering that it's a PS (SS) alternative. Your summary, on the other hand, is a little off-putting. Please don't take this the wrong way, but your comment about the "typical review" comes across as a bit conceited and it would be nice to have a tiny bit of information about the plot, or at least some hints to Harry's plan for world "optimization" and his alliances and whatnot. I've come across this a few times and was put off by the summary, but finally ended up going for it because it was recommended by a very good author.

Anyway, I know that this is a fairly long review, so I shall take my leave here. I really did enjoy reading thsi. i gasped, I "OMG!"ed, I re-read explanations of theories over and over again in confusion, I "WTF!"ed a few times, and most of all I laughed out loud. My parents now think I'm insane. Thank you for giving me a few days of amusement, and you are an amazing author. :D

Keep writing!

Smiles,

LOT7
ears chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
Don't blame him at all for writing a concise letter devoid of the insanity of the week, otherwise he would probably just terrify his parents. Excellent chapter!
Crescent Beam Shower chapter 21 . 5/23/2010
I like this fic. Very unique and sometimes confusing. "Omake Files" made me laugh a lot.
Mountain907 chapter 6 . 5/23/2010
Very well done, I enjoyed your take on Harry's shopping trip. Not over the top and great dialogue.

Thanks for sharing.
Wolfric chapter 21 . 5/22/2010
Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
Wolfric chapter 20 . 5/22/2010
Well I am quite curious to find out what part, if any, Voldemort plays in this little drama. Good chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
Wolfric chapter 19 . 5/22/2010
Interesting chapter. Thanks for writing. W.
xTxNxLx chapter 10 . 5/22/2010
i love you
xTxNxLx chapter 5 . 5/22/2010
LOL ohgosh , that was freaking hilarious with draco . haha
Lisa chapter 21 . 5/22/2010
You haven't updated in over a week. I need a fix.
Pietko chapter 20 . 5/22/2010
oh Quirrell... Is he possesed by voldemort? If so, it looks like one of voldemort's horcruxes travels on Pioneer probe...

Interaction between Harry and Quirrell makes me wonder, is voldemort changed man after his 'dead' by Harry? It could be interesting if he is not bad guy anymore, more like neutral, more wise...
sonhoon chapter 3 . 5/22/2010
Great story!

The only thing that really bothered me while reading the story is that Harry kept on referring to James and Lily as his genetic parents. No one really says that. He should be referring to them as his biological parents.
Apurv2009 chapter 16 . 5/22/2010
Now Quirrell is more creepy than Harry. Can u tell where ur story is going and do you have a plot.

What Harry wants to do who is the supreme controller of your of your universe.

I know your r twisting things here and there but they tend to confuse people . And I am one of them.

Please edit them or clarify it in A/N.
Mr. Red Hex chapter 5 . 5/21/2010
Beautiful doesn't begin to describe Harry and Draco's first interaction. No brown nosing here, but sincerely hope that something as inspired as that Comedic Duo situation strikes me during my fanfiction career. However as I said before no brown nosing.

Honestly I can't tell whether that will be a set up for a less polarized Harry (in regards to his canon associations) or was just a joke that pretty much lampooned all previous Harry/Draco meetings ever conceived. However whatever it may or may not be foreshadowing, amazing work nonetheless.

Also I'd like to compliment you on integrating a rational, scientifically motivated mind into a curious, young Harry. The results are pretty impressive so far, which gives me hope for a believably competent Harry who hasn't been completely sucked into Wizarding Worlds shortfalls (Blood prejudices being an example). Plus I helps that you break down scientific terms for the less objectively inclined such as myself, which overall makes the story flow better (meaning I don't have to run to wikipedia every five minutes to look up so reference made in your writing).

Constructive criticism wise, all I can say is I feel that the pacing is a bit slow considering you've spent the pass few chapters just cruising around Diagon Alley, but even still I feel like that speaks volumes for your ability seeing as this trip through diagon alley has been - excuse my french - fucking epic.

Wrapping this review up all I have to say is amazing work, keep it up, and stay true to what ever it is that inspired this piece of fiction.

Black Saint
ShineX chapter 18 . 5/21/2010
Love the last line, lol
23,752 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,310 1,317 1,318 1,319 1320 1,321 1,322 1,323 1,330 .. Last Next »