Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
The Lonely Ant chapter 26 . 2/13/2011
Oh my god, Quirrell killed Rita Skeeter.
lilahri chapter 69 . 2/13/2011
Wow. This story is incredible. I am now greatly deprived of sleep.

Great job! Keep up the fantastic work!

Kasanra chapter 5 . 2/13/2011
This chapter is HILARIOUS! I laughed so hard my mom came to check on me. I still laugh and I forgot how many times I've read this. AWESOME!
surya3dcd chapter 69 . 2/13/2011
Well, hopfully this isn't all there is. What an enjoyable adaptation of an already very well done story.

You've woven so many hooks into this and expanded characters that JK only gave lipservice to, that I can't put the book down. Please continue.
Emerauldessence chapter 19 . 2/13/2011
It seems the dojo master was of the do as I say, not as I do school of thought. If humility was such an important lesson to him, then why did he trade the lives of all his pupils for his pride?

My objections to this chapter is a matter of personal opinion rather than constructive criticism. Im afraid I have difficulty imagining appreciating anyone who would expose me at my weakest to everyone as if they have that right. If someone had a problem with me, I expect them to talk to me and me alone. Anyone who refuses to do that doesnt have the right to be my teacher because they obviously value their own ego over my growth.
The Lonely Ant chapter 17 . 2/13/2011
It seems that every time I glance down, another hour or so has passed and I have no idea why. Also, it's now 2:30 am, and I usually like to be in bed by no later than 12:30, even on a weekend, which this is, and only a really good story can keep me up this late and I've been so listless without a good story so Thank You for writing this.
The Lonely Ant chapter 5 . 2/12/2011
And where exactly are the quotes at the beginning of the chapters coming from? They are always cool, but this one is especially funny.
The Lonely Ant chapter 4 . 2/12/2011
Another favorite of mine, someone actually making sense of the economy. I can't think of the word to describe how I liked it, but I was reading the dialogue out loud, and laughing aloud, both of which are indicative of liking something quite a bit with me. (And I'm starting to talk like the characters, also something I do when reading something I like.)
The Lonely Ant chapter 3 . 2/12/2011
And this is, I think, the first time I've read about Harry being actually scared of Voldemort (including canon). I guess McGonagall explains it better than Hagrid?
The Lonely Ant chapter 2 . 2/12/2011
Oh wow, I love this story! Only the second chapter, and I couldn't stop laughing! And an intelligent, inquisitive Harry is always a good thing.
oconnor663 chapter 47 . 2/12/2011
"...the gold and blood sacrifices he [Grindelwald] was getting from his Muggle pawns..."

Is this a reference to the Shoah? If so, I'm curious about your implications. It's understood that Grindelwald is somehow behind the events of WWII. But beyond pulling strings to start the war, which we might take for granted from his character in his context, you're also (in my view, unnecessarily) implying that Grindelwald organized the Shoah in particular, because it strengthened him in some way.

This reminds me of a quote from Chaos!Neville about Bellatrix Black:

"She had a reason for doing that [killing Neville's parents], and my parents were both Aurors! It's not even close to the worst thing she's ever done!"

Let's call Neville's categories Evil Type 1 ("We get it, but still evil") and Evil Type 2 ("Seriously what the fuck?"). You can get some extra evil mileage for Grindelwald by saying he caused the Shoah, but he's still a Type 1 bad guy, so you give him a reason. The Shoah, though, is the quintessential Type 2 event in living memory, and if we change that, we erase something important.

Incidentally, I'm curious what will become of Voldemort in this fic. In canon we never get to know Voldemort in any sort of human way. He's bad from the beginning, just a machine for making evil choices, totally Type 2. But if you've lead us to expect anything at all, it's that rational!Voldemort will have very strong reasons for the choices he makes. That's already a big step towards Type 1. And if you keep going right past it, eventually he's not evil at all, and then what will we do? :)
PHSchmidt chapter 69 . 2/12/2011
This is one of the best books I have ever read, seriously. What I REALLY REALLY want is for it to be continued and turn into an alternate universe Lensmen saga. Ginny Weasley for Red Lensman!
layafel chapter 69 . 2/12/2011
This is some pretty awesome stuff. The levels of hilarity ensuing are insane. Merlin says keep up the good work.
braindoll chapter 21 . 2/12/2011
I know you don't want frivolous reviews, but I'm annoyed at the people who are pressuring you for updates. So in order to help push those reviews off the front page, I picked a quantumly random unreviewed chapter, re-read it, and here's my review. For those who posted the nagging reviews: if you hadn't done that, I could have found better things to do with my time, so please stop.

Ch. 21 has Granger winning the bet and getting the date as a forfeit; the initial planning meaning of the Bayesian Conspiracy; Santa Claus's second letter, warning of legilimency; the interrupted prophecy; and the chapter closes with Harry's letter-home-after-the-first-week.

-It's interesting to go back and read these earlier chapters now. In the later chapters, the focus is so much on thinking five moves ahead, that the spontenaiety of these earlier chapters can seem naive. For instance, when Draco realizes that talking about the Dark Mark might be a bad idea and wants to change the subject, he says in italics "Forget I said anything" - and Harry actually does. It's hard to find the right balance here; if you were writing about a game of go, would you want to include dramatic captures, or show a more realistic game where the players see the drama coming and side-step it?

-I did notice that the verb tenses go funny right after the prophecy:

"HE IS COMING," said a huge hollow voice that cut through all conversation like a sword of ice [would such a sword really cut well? I suppose it would work for diaphenous things like conversations, and it would be dramatic]. "THE ONE WHO WILL TEAR APART THE VERY -"

Dumbledore had leapt out of his throne and run straight over the Head Table and seized hold of the woman speaking those awful words, Fawkes had appeared in a flash, and all three of them vanished in a crack of fire.

There was a shocked pause...

If you are trying to use those tenses to show that Dumbledore was done acting before anyone else even realized what was happening, then you should clue us into that. "Before anyone else could react, Dumbledore had..."

-Looking at my two notes above reminds me that I like the general contrast in this chapter between Kids Being Dramatic (Hermione, Harry, Draco) and the much more matter-of-fact real-world drama (Santa Claus, Dumbledore). I especially like that the chapter closes with Harry being a grown-up in keeping the drama from his parents; it's a believable and sympathetic way of bringing together the two aspects of the chapter.
Arun from India chapter 1 . 2/12/2011
Dude! Please update soon
31,000 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,314 1,321 1,322 1,323 1324 1,325 1,326 1,327 1,334 .. Last Next »