Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
AnaRola chapter 5 . 5/24/2011
Wow.

Just...

Wow.

I usually feel reluctant to review a story (especially if it already has 12,000 reviews), because I feel like I can't possibly say anything that hasn't been said before.

So I wasn't going to review this just because it was fantastic, or because it had me laughing uncontrollably almost from the very first sentence, or just because you've achieved a realistic intelligent hero who is as much of a troublemaker as the original Harry, only a lot smarter about it.

I wasn't even going to tell you that the conversation between Draco and Harry is the most amazing thing ever written, not just in fanfiction but in the whole world of literature.

But then I went upstairs to get a glass of water (since I was worried that if I clicked ahead to chapter 6 I would never be able to stop) and overheard my sister complaining about something on television, so I explained the Fundamental Attribution Error to her.

And that's when I realized I owed you a review. Because this story is obviously meant to teach people something, and I thought you deserved to know that you had succeeded in making me think about the world a little differently.

And that's after only 5 chapters. It looks like there's 66 to go.
Aharon chapter 71 . 5/24/2011
I appreciate your work on this fan-fic and look forward to its continuation. I understand that your other book is far more important, and I hope you achieve progress with that work as fast as you wish, so that you can soon continue the fic when you once again have more time :)
Ioga chapter 71 . 5/24/2011
You deal in disturbing topics. I suspect that no matter what way you take at it, prodding at equality within this fandom, through a character like Hermione trying not to just be a sidekick, and less brilliant girls helping her with this goal is bound to end painfully. I can't decide if I should hate you for it, hate the world for matching the description or decide that equal opportunities just inherently not meant to be and it was silly of us to ever think the opposite. All in all, it's rather depressing. But hey, it's a dark fic much of the time.

In other news, Harry's lack of a sense of basic security has fascinated me ever since it came up. I want to learn more about it.

Thanks for these!
linkhyrule5 chapter 14 . 5/24/2011
(This is actually about Chapter 13, but I already reveiwed that once and apparently you can only review a chapter once)

Actually, it's a *really bad sign* that the spell that Muggles think of when they think "magic" is "Avada Kedavra".
linkhyrule5 chapter 13 . 5/24/2011
Congratulations on the retroactive Portal 2 reference :P.
Alpheus chapter 71 . 5/24/2011
A correction, and another thought:

"After some thought, I also realized that Professor Querrill's objection to Muggle science-that they can destroy the world-rang hollow, when later, I realized that Grisenwald's War was WWII, and *that* war pushed the weaponization of nuclear power." This sentence was cut off early: It should have been finished with "-was a little disingenuous."

As for the other thought: Perhaps this is just the Ravenclaw in me, but as I've been reading this, I've since been wondering what sorts of situations would have pushed Harry into Slytherin, or into Hufflepuff, and what could the stories have been like then?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write such things; perhaps there are others who have. At the moment, though, I'm too lazy to look them up...
Alpheus chapter 71 . 5/24/2011
I originally wasn't planning on writing any sort of review, but I read you "15,000 words deserves a review" statement, and decided to give it a go.

I really enjoyed reading this, but a couple of things have bothered me: First, Ron's rat was just a rat, and not Peter Pettigrew. Second, so far it seems that Voldemort isn't a part of Professor Querrill. The given purpose of the story was to see what would happen if we changed Harry Potter, but left all the other characters the same; these two changes blatantly disrupt that! Indeed, it violates the rationalist's creed that we have the world we are given, and not the world we want.

Of course, it's too late to try to fix this, and I wouldn't expect you to try!

After some thought, I also realized that Professor Querrill's objection to Muggle science-that they can destroy the world-rang hollow, when later, I realized that Grisenwald's War was WWII, and *that* war pushed the weaponization of nuclear power. On further thought, I realized that I didn't know who started what...and I further realized that *I* can't have the characters I want (perfectly consistent); I have to accept Professor Querrill for who he is! :-)

Oh, and a third complaint: the story isn't finished yet. I want it finished NOW! ;-)
OtteryLexa chapter 71 . 5/24/2011
"The Rowling that can be described is not the True Rowling."

I found this fic through TVTropes, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I'd read the first chunk (maybe 1/3rd) before, but it must have been a while ago, and it certainly didn't suffer for it. I liked your little disclaimers at the beginning of the chapters while they lasted. I wish I could say something more interesting here.
Sarek5959 chapter 5 . 5/23/2011
I want you to know you got me rolling on the floor with this one.

GREAT Chapter!
FmaFan10 chapter 9 . 5/23/2011
i musr listening to ghostbusters while reading the part with the song is great! lol great job!
FmaFan10 chapter 8 . 5/23/2011
wow this chapter was greaT! very informative! excellent. lol harry so funny when it comes to nevel
FmaFan10 chapter 7 . 5/23/2011
wow draco really had reality thrown at him to a certain extent, now the real question is whether he will go along with harry or not? i think yes, yes he will
FmaFan10 chapter 6 . 5/23/2011
wow best chapter yet. very informing!
FmaFan10 chapter 5 . 5/23/2011
omg this was hilarious! i love how draco yelled he wanted to be in gryfindoor and they were yelling "WHAT?" lol nice job
FmaFan10 chapter 4 . 5/23/2011
ahahah very funny chapter!
32,225 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,316 1,323 1,324 1,325 1326 1,327 1,328 1,329 1,336 .. Last Next »