Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Andrius chapter 35 . 1/12/2011
It seems to me at this point (Ch. 35) that Harry is making Draco and Hermione cooperate on purpose, as another step of "turning" Draco. Which is of course a pretty cool thing.
The Blasphemous Contessa chapter 30 . 1/12/2011
So many references I don't even know where to start
Reader chapter 4 . 1/12/2011
Potter: How can you call the day happy when you have learned how your parents died? How can you say you defeated the Dark Lord when you know you didn't? How can you speak about toys when you don't play toys?

I haven't read any other HP books before (I haven't read the "classic" cannon, yes), and still I haven't even stumbled when reading the word "muggle".
hollyd chapter 65 . 1/12/2011
oooh update! please!
dementedumlauts chapter 22 . 1/12/2011
Okay, thanks for pointing us all to your profile. It is taking me forever to read this story between googling and wikisurfing through all the science you reference, going to the library to hunt down the books you reference and.. I don't know. My brain is shaking the dust off and finally clamouring for more knowledge like it hasn't in years and it. is. GLORIOUS.
Tormuse chapter 4 . 1/12/2011
And Harry continues to be entertaining in his craftiness... :)

I have one suggestion about this chapter: You might want to add a definition of the word "muggle," since this is the first time the term has been used in the story so far. Of course, it goes without saying that HP fans don't need that definition, but, up to this point, you've written in such a way that this could be a stand-alone story and one sentence added in there could make it more accessible to people that aren't necessarily familiar with the original work. (Maybe it could be in the disclaimer?)

Just a thought...

In any case, awesome story! :D
matchynishi chapter 65 . 1/12/2011
Loved the plot - definitely one of the more educational fics I've read. XD Can't wait to see the directions you're taking with it, so I'm definitely looking forward to more. Thank you for writing, and sharing!
Philip Ryan chapter 47 . 1/11/2011
I've never cried at fanfiction before.
Andrius chapter 6 . 1/11/2011
I just started reading it, and it seems like a very interesting, original and hilarious fic so far. To be honest, I don't like HP fanfiction that mixes the "real" and "magical" worlds together much. For example, I've read certain fics where Harry uses real-world weapons (sniper rifles, etc.) to kill Voldemort. I find that it sort of ruins the fun as I very much prefer epic fantasy stories and magic.

However, this fic seems different from anything I've read up till now. Rather than bringing in real-world technology, Harry instead uses scientific knowledge and methods to analyze the magical world. That's definitely an interesting perspective and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it :)
click chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
This is an excellent fic. Thank you for sharing it.
dementedumlauts chapter 8 . 1/11/2011
Please. What is the name of and who are the authors of these "very, very best sort of books"

And just so you know I keep getting derailed by the juicy sciency bits and I have so many more non-fiction books I need to get my hands on now then I'll be able to read in a reasonable time frame and just.. THANK YOU!
Violet Ryou chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
I've just spend almost 2 days reading all this fic, and as my brain might be malfunctioning right now I'll avoid to make a super huge list of the ridiculously LoL-able and totally super awesome things that I happen to love about your fic.

With nothing else to add, enjoy the year while I enjoy the wait of the next chapter.

VR

PS. My brain at some point started to read Harry's dialogs at Gilmore Girl-Speed. Any clue in how to fix this?
dementedumlauts chapter 5 . 1/11/2011
Okay, no. NOW I'm howling and crying with laughter. *wheezes for air*I have a feeling it will happen a lot. Take it as given from now on.

Love the actual science bits. You are sending me to wiki the stuff and I'll probably end up with a book list far too long for it. Thank you.
dementedumlauts chapter 2 . 1/11/2011
Just letting you know I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.
Nerdfish chapter 65 . 1/11/2011
I find Harry's comment on "Or truth doesn't exist and there's no such thing as objective reality" rather strange. If observations require assumption that there is an objective reality, then they cannot be used to as evidence for existence of such. (circular logic fallacy)

If observations cannot be used to determine existence of said reality. Since observations are the final arbitrator, existence objective reality is literally unknowable. Since burden of proof lies with those who assert the hypothesis, Objective reality cannot be assumed to exist until there is evidence for it.
30,343 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,316 1,323 1,324 1,325 1326 1,327 1,328 1,329 1,336 .. Last Next »