Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
GuesssWho chapter 13 . 12/8/2010
LOL, H2G2 reference FTW!
Parish Moz chapter 63 . 12/8/2010
Well done, sir. Love the references to the work of Kahneman, Tversky, Cialdini, etc. (as well as a couple mentions that I haven't explored yet.) It's refreshing to find such a high level of intelligent content in fiction, let alone fan fiction. It's also hard to inject some of this material in without it coming off as preachy/pompous/pedantic, but you usually pull it off with flying colors.

The SF/Fantasy references are good fun too, (a Black Company reference! Dorotea Senjak aka Lady! nice!)

Enjoy your hiatus!
AtCogRod chapter 2 . 12/8/2010
Admittedly, I'm only a chapter and a half into your very long story, but I'm finding it very difficult to continue on. Harry just doesn't sound like a ten year old boy, and that bothers me. If the character was fifteen or above I'd find it easier to believe, but his comprehensive, encyclopaediac knowledge of things very, very few children concern themselves with bugs me. Yes, there is that tiny minority of incomprehensibly smart children who are mentally years ahead of their peers, but this is Harry Potter, not one of those children. He has the knowledge and lucidity of a greying professor who has spent his entire adult life studying a single subject, and in fact his thoughts and speech would belong more to the stereotype I described. Perhaps that's why I don't like it - every bit about your character of Harry is more in tune with that stereotype of a professor, a scientist or book worm than with the character elements normally associated with a child.

Thousands of people seem to like it, but I personally feel that you didn't properly frame your drastically different characterisation of Harry within the narrative. You spent no time establishing this new Harry Potter to the reader. You gave some clues with the overflowing books and the professor father, but for such a different characterisation of such a well established character, I feel that it should have been far less subtle. Perhaps you could've shown a day in the life of boy-genius Harry Potter, much as JKRowling dedicated the first few chapters of Philosopher's Stone to show the mundane life he had with the Dursleys. Instead of easing the reader into this 'new' Harry, you basically went "This is how it is, deal with it."

People seem to like it, so I'll keep reading on, because maybe it gets better... The story thus far just seems to be a massive mouthpiece for every point of the method of rationality. It feels shoehorned to me. I'd much rather be reading your book on the method of rationality than this fanfic. Maybe this reaction is just from shock. I admittedly didn't know what I was reading at first - someone on just linked to the first chapter saying it's an impressive take. This wasn't what I expected, as you can see.

You've got over 9000 (meme not intended) reviews. I don't know if you read all of them, and I certainly imagine you don't reply to all of them, but I'd genuinely be interested to hearing back from you about this.
Pamelina chapter 60 . 12/8/2010
Quirrellmort:i"Let us speak no more of it, then. Debts will be settled between us in time."/i

Ooo... *shiver*

This villain is so competent, he's much scarier than cannon Voldemort. He's tried and failed to kill Harry at least twice now (Draco dropping him, and the wand to the Dementor), in circumstances where his success would not be attributed to him, and would have the secondary benefit of being blamed on his enemy, Dumbledore's, carelessness, probably getting him fired. And both times he arranges to take credit for "saving" Harry when he sees his plot's going to fail. Hermione's courageous Dementor facing is what makes Quirrellmort point out Harry's wand. Hermione really has already saved Harry, without knowing it. Awesome characters! Awesome plot!
jeweltheif500 chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
I have this story on my alerts... so when I googled "Harry Potter fanfiction" looking for more, and saw the link to this story, I thought I'd tell you!
Suzume chapter 21 . 12/8/2010
This story is amazing! Please continue writing, and a Happy Christmas to you!
Squeamish chapter 4 . 12/8/2010
A billion is a pretty big number.

Fermi-wise, estimating that the amazing new world of being rich was a billion times less interesting than the amazing new world of magic seems like it implies that he should have done that estimate first and skipped holding on a moment and doing the calculation.

On the other hand, if the cost of making the estimates is small compared to the wasted time of even walking into the vault to look at the riches, then it makes sense. Especially if the level of richness is sufficient to make the study of the amazing new world of magic more effective.

This chapter worthy of outright admiration, but getting access to his riches will be more valuable than just a billionth of the time available in Harry's first year (or thirty years).
Ladylaurel chapter 63 . 12/8/2010
I just want your Christmas present to be five figures worth of reviews. I don't actually have anything interesting to say. Y'know, beyond the whole 'your story is awesome' thing.
Tremario chapter 8 . 12/8/2010
Yay this story is amazing! I am just on chapter 8, and I already love it...I've been looking for a scientific story like this one for a while. Thanks, I will continue to read with great alacrity :)
James chapter 63 . 12/7/2010
Really enjoying this story and the characters (perhaps too much, as I've been failing to get my own work done for the last two days). Looking forward to the next instalment.

Since the little note down the bottom says to offer tips for improvement, if it concerns you, there are a few words/spellings here and there that might be changed to the British rather than American versions (e.g. 'maths' instead of 'math').
Cate B chapter 63 . 12/7/2010
Hey, wow! I finally discovered this fic. (Late to the party much?)

I just finished reading and it was pretty damn AMAZING. There were so many good and clever and interesting parts, I can't even begin to list them all. My favorite was probably when Harry got his Ender on during the lake battle.

Having just read the whole thing (Chp 1-63) in almost one sitting, I have to say that the Azkaban (TSPE) arc was a little too drawn out. I get that it was momentous and important. But TWELVE chapters, that was mostly just Harry sitting around THINKING THINGS? It was a little much.

I loved the story, and will definitely be checking back in a month or so to find out what happens next!
celine.sLineC-Line chapter 5 . 12/7/2010
This story is so funny!

sorry i don't know other word i am french, but, i love this story!
ZoobsMaroobs chapter 60 . 12/7/2010
In response to the line "One entity who wore the shape of a man in his late thirties and already balding, and another mind that wore the form of an eleven-year-old boy with a scar upon his forehead."

Harry's not an AI in one of Ben Goertzel's sim worlds is he? And that's why magic exists? The author wouldn't do anything that predictable, would he?
open-sketchbook chapter 63 . 12/7/2010
I'll do a more complex review when you've finished the story (it's my goal to review only every story I read to completion; a sort of review counter counter revolution (One could accurately say it is anti-antidisestablishmentary)

Anyway, I have to say that as a rationalist and lurker on Less Wrong from before this story started, you've packaged the tenants of rationality into a beautiful bit-sized package, but also made it much more real. It is much easier to pattern your thinking when you have a character to pattern it after than a lecture to try and follow, though obviously the lecture is also important.

Also, the story is really good and I wanna see where it goes.
Dwst chapter 63 . 12/6/2010
With concern for Harry's dilemmas being too complex to describe simply, for his thoughts to seem inhuman, an author's preaching soapbox, this chapter does a very good job. Although the last sentence extends the reader's awareness of his ignorance even further, and although nary a thread is raveled in the whole chapter, there is a very satisfying, soothing, sense of a complete step being taken along the narrative's path.
29,801 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,317 1,324 1,325 1,326 1327 1,328 1,329 1,330 1,337 .. Last Next »