Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Rigal chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Very cool!1
Kay chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Great chapter. I like how we're returning to eleven year old Harry. I also like that Prof Q is no longer Harry's mentor, though I'm suddenly struck by the realization that Prof Q might be like Dumbledore's Grindelwald - in which case, Prof Q is Voldemort, in the flesh? I can't wait to read more. I hope I don't forget everything by the time you update again. :)
109 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
I still think it was the logical thing to do. When you think someone is innocent, and an undetected rescue feasible, what other choice can be made? Besides, torture is pointless from a utilitarian perspective regardless of the victim's guilt.
Eclipse1234 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Come back soon!
angeldreamer1119 chapter 34 . 11/29/2010
Hi.

Sorry it took so long to review. Just want to say I've read every chapter of your story and loved it (some bits more than others), and that your page on Bayes' Theorem solved some mental Gordian knots that my medical statistics textbook failed to resolve. More power to you, sir, and I hope you keep writing.

I've also just read "The Simple Truth" and would like to point out that your bucket system gets messed up at the end, because you lost one pebble when Mark runs off the edge of the cliff...
ansible917 chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
This is a fabulous, brilliant story. The best fan fictions shed new light on the original source material, and not just play around with the characters and settings. And this fanfic exceeds that standard by also being funny, insightful, and quite emotionally moving on top of it.

The advertising blurb for MoR implies that the author has changed just one aspect of the HP universe (Harry himself and how he was raised) but there are actually quite a few subtle and not-so-subtle changes to the HP universe. The most dramatic change is that none of the "bad guys" are cardboard-cutout villains. They all have depth, and character. They all have plausible motivations. And even though the major historical landscape hasn't changed (there was still a Wizarding War, and Voldemort and the Death Eaters killed a bunch of people) there isn't much that is black and white in this fanfic. This is because, in part, because even the "bad guys" are the heroes of their own personal stories. The "good guys" in the source material also engage in some questionable behavior, and this is brought out further in MoR.

I _eagerly_ look forward to every single update.
LauralHilll chapter 61 . 11/29/2010
The proposed timeline by Math and Chaos here: photos/herbaliser/5218671393/
SANTARII chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Dayng.

Okay, I may have accidentally reviewed for chapter 1 instead of chapter 63.

I accidentally have some spoilers there now, and cannot remove it, oh deary...

Oh well, anyhow, I have now logged in and shall post it again, in the right place.

_

Hello, I've never reviewed this, being afraid that my review would be inadequate, which is silly, I could always do another anyway )

This is my favourite fan fiction, and one of my favourite stories (indistinguishable from the other favourites, and might even possibly go above the others).

I would like to thank you greatly for this story, and, ehm...

No, that's all that's coming to my mind right now. At least the part that types anyway.

I have recommended this story to plenty of people, my father is one, who already thinks it's amazing, without having even read it yet. I told him about the "Don't mess with time!" part, and the general idea of the whole thing.

Also, the sequences are worse than TV tropes man!

And of course, by worse, I mean better.

Thanks for your latest chapter, I was planning on doing something productive myself, but then you ate 1 and a half hours of my time.

I love reading about Harry from other people's perspectives.

I was slightly disappointed with McGonagall [I originally spelt this 'Macgonacgal'] refusing to listen to Snape and Dumbledore figure out what could have been going on, just because I REALLY would like to know what they wrote down and said. Time travel is the most fun thing for me, I look forward to you doing more of it, and I absolutely LOVE the way Dumbledore avoids paradoxes, and the "Don't mess with time!" part might be my favourite part of this story, or at least, the most fun part.
SANTARII chapter 1 . 11/29/2010

I would like to thank you greatly for this story, and, ehm...

Also, the sequences are worse than TV tropes man!

And of course, by worse, I mean better.

I love reading about Harry from other people's perspectives.

David Brin chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Excellent stuff. I enjoy it all and am gradually persuading my own kids to read it. Naturally, I think this is the kind of answer that magical thinking has long needed. Nuanced and even appreciative of what magic offers... but sharp and severe toward what - for 6,000 years - magical thinking allowed people to rationalize.

One quibble. In this entire portion about Azkaban, there is no discussion of an important sub-factor... HOW do you deal with magical criminals?

Normal imprisonment seems unlikely to work. One imagines that even heavy spells from Merlin's time could be gotten around.

What comes to mind - and it is immoral in its own right - would be borrowing muggle surgical techniques and disabling or removing some part of the brain that is essential for the manipulation of magic. One could imagine that rendering a wizard into a MUGGLE might be a logical thing to have been tried, over the centuries, even without scientific surgery.

It has parallels in the way that a citizen of Sparta might be sent down to the Helot slave caste, with no avenue of redemption, for any infraction. (Side note, the comic book and film "300" comprise works of truly titanic evil. Staggeringly and deliberately horrid advertisements for monstrousness.)

In fact, now that I think of it, why do I recall no mention of this option, casting a wizard down to muggledom, in this or Rowling's version? It has many precedents, in life and literature. From Marlowe to the Borribles.

That would be pretty severe punishment and it alone would take care of most of Azkaban's clientele... just do it and let them go. The rest could then be kept on a normal prison isle.

But forget such details. It is the PROBLEM that should have at least been mentioned, in Harry's discussions. Even if only to raise it and dismiss it. Because simply tearing down the prison and sending bad wizards capering about is not much of a solution.

Good stuff! More.
SpaceMonkey0941 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Thanks so much for this chapter. I hope you enjoy your break as much as possible, and please only start writing again when you feel like it!
kitiem3000 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
yeah...
pjeby chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Oh, and I forgot to mention...

...Harry and Quirrel are PRETENDERS?

(Still can't believe nobody's *said* that yet...)
Animekitty47 chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
Ah, the symbolism of not seeing the forest for the trees during that introspection. XD

And we finally, finally got to Milgram's experiment. I've been waiting for that since I started reading this fic. XD

Ah, Harry's fallen into the Western trap. I wonder what he'd say of Buddhism or other Eastern philosophies that there is no true self? Ah, well, probably not an answer I'm going to get in this fic.

*blinks* Another prophecy from Trelawny?

I also read those other works of yours that you linked us to in your author note. I loved the sheep/math/truth/reality one. If there's a moral to Hirou's story reminds of Harry. Gee, I wonder why. :P Loved how you played with all the tropes, of course. XD
lolelia or backslash symphony chapter 63 . 11/29/2010
felt like reviewing. i realised i used to like this more when it was.. lighter, and the whole lets-rescue-someone-from-azkaban-but-not-sirius part - even if it would make no sense - just kept disturbing me, but i think now that thats over and we're back at hogwarts i feel warmer about this again.

"No, I didn't mean it, please don't die!" suffices to make my eyes water up.

have a nice month, i hate when things i like turn work-like - and i'd love to see harry change the world - when he's older, that is.
29,645 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,319 1,326 1,327 1,328 1329 1,330 1,331 1,332 1,339 .. Last Next »