Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
GregoryRadcliffe chapter 17 . 8/26/2011
I don't normally review, but I just had to make a point/prediction, even with no expectation of a response. Harry is so very badly demonstrating the fundamental attribution error that he had previously explained when he thinks of Dumbledore as crazy. Just because Dumbledore gives Harry his fathers rock that has no apparent magical properties, and reveals his at first thought rather disturbing form of communication with Lily via sneaking into her dorm and writing responses in her potions textbook, that doesn't mean Dumbledore is crazy. Harry can't see Dumbledore's internal motivations or history trailing behind him, so mistakenly thinks of him as insane, but in truth Dumbledore's actions likely make perfect sense in the circumstances, it's just that Harry doesn't know those circumstances. As Dumbledore rightly points out, Harry's own yearmates think of him as crazy, but in truth he is far more sane than any of them, they simply judge his actions by ascribing him with character traits unjustly but circumstantially his actions all make perfect sense. So too does Harry wrongly judge Dumbledore.

I have no idea of Dumbledore's motivations for giving Harry that rock. If I had to guess, I'd say it's something to do with whatever happened at Godric's Hollow that is different from the original course of events. Perhaps the closeness of something that was present at that time will somehow afford Harry protection from Voldemort somehow. But I expect the truth will be far more convoluted.

As for Dumbledore's interaction with Lily via advice in the potions textbook, McGonagall already described how transigurations to do with human beings are most likely always fatal. Thus the reason people who are ugly or fat or old etc remain that way. And yet in this world Petunia holds a potion given to her by Lily as responsible for a beautiful transformation of her appearence that subsequently contributed to the lack of marriage with Vernon Dursely and union with Harry's new Dad (forgot his name atm). Whilst I'm sure Lily was a capable witch, I'd credit this particular breach of magics normal capabilities to Dumbledore, who helped her figure it out through his scribblings in her potions textbook. Possibly the friend Lily argued with was Snape who she thought was the only one smart enough who would've answered her written questions. Thus Dumbledore would've been correct when he apologised to Harry and said that he was respnsible for Harry's current family situation, although his motivation still remains completely mysterious in this situation. Perhaps something to do with a diferent prophecy of Trelawny's that Dumbledore was witness to.

I have no idea and cannot think of any possible reason why Dumbledore would say happy happy boom boom swamp swamp swamp at the opening feast, nor why burn a chicken and pretend it was Fawkes in front of Harry, unless it was purely for the laughs.

Quirrel has me completely stumped, is he completely unrelated to Voldemort, but then why would Harry have had the sense of doom when he went to touch him, surely that would've been the point at which Quirrel would've burned if he were playing host to Voldemort. Also no turban so where would Voldemort be hiding? Is Quirrel simply struggling subconsciously to overpower Voldemort, thus the intermittent moments of lethargy, is it really Quirrel who is so inspirational in teaching style or is that Voldemort's charisma shining through?

In any case I still think it was Dumbledore who gave Harry the cloak, and used the notes distrust as a test of Harry's character in their conversation.
Innocentman7 chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
Really? I mean, really?

It's a good story. I've read it, and I like it. I've also read your other works (with a little more gusto. I find the other stories on your website far more interesting, but I digress).

But here's one thing. On your profile page, you mention that the First Law of Fanfiction is "Every change which strengthens the protagonists requires a corresponding worsening of their challenges." That's wrong. The First Law of Fanfiction is more like "Don't fucking make any money off of it." Fanfiction treads a fine line between being a legal form of expression and being a very illegal form of copyright violation, and you have just barreled over it.

It doesn't matter that your story is the most popular on FFnet. It wouldn't matter if your story was the most popular of all time. It doesn't matter however many followers favoriters, whatever you have, because if you get shut down by JKR, it's over.

And not just over for you, it's really over for all of us. You may have just opened the floodgates for the lawyers to shut down all of Harry Potter fanfiction. It's not a far stretch from the biggest HP fanfic to all HP fanfics.

So, for the love of God, please just take down that stupid author's note. You can (probably) promote a cause for a nonprofit, even one that you are in and receive a salary from. But providing a benchmark is soliciting a service, and it's just not kosher. So please, don't ruin all fanfiction for everyone, or even your own fanfic. Take down that author's note, and maybe everyone will forget that this has happened.
Guest chapter 4 . 8/26/2011
love the twist one of the best so far will keep reading
admiralskippy chapter 43 . 8/26/2011
In reply to Taure's review:

Taure

2011-08-26 . chapter 73

"Eagerly anticipating your rape at the hands of Warner Brothers' lawyers.

At the very least, the story will be deleted by ."

Jo Rowling's Lawyers wouldn't have a leg to stand on, and they'd know that within five minutes of looking at this because unlike you they live in the real world and have real careers instead of being a 22 year old philosophy student (manchild) who hopes he might one day be able to write a sub-Eragon fantasy novel. Mummy and daddy getting a bit bored of your sponging? Don't worry I'm sure they read Harry Potter and the Lords of Magic religiously.

If you had any accomplishments to your name other than being a big shot on a Harry Potter fan fiction site, or were doing a real degree and had actual work to do, then perhaps you might not have jumped so eagerly on to this imaginary bandwagon, but then I suppose you'd also be secure enough not to be threatened by a fanfic so it's a moot point really.

Amazing how quickly you and your DLP buddies leapt into action considering that you profess to hate this fic and not to read it. Of course the truth is that you're the online equivalent of a curtain twitcher - you stand on an imaginary moral high ground claiming superiority while feverishly watching all of the fun that you're not having.

At least you'll have one consolation- this fic gets reviews so quickly that in two weeks time when it's still up going strong and even Planet Taure has realized what an embarrassment your review is, it will be buried so many pages back that no one will see it.
Fenrir666 chapter 62 . 8/26/2011
You got a true emotional reaction out of me. I can count on one hand the times a work of fiction, any work of fiction, as done that to me. Bravo.
jdboss1 chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
I am a die hard fan of this storys

I dont no law that well but i think you need to look in to copyright violation law.

I think there odd that some will not try and get this delete

( i hop not)

Please can you post an updats on how you are safe from being dun lot of review think this is the end of this story

I wood love to donated to your cause if i had the money

if a win the lotter i will send money your ways

cool Chapter 73

I hop you JKR copyright and Warner Brothers dont attack you

I was so happy to see an updats in so long

I love the Audiobook /art from this storys
yoorrgghh chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
Screw ethics and screw legality and all hail the exemplary writing.
anon chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
And the inevitable happens.

Attempting to make money from fanfiction is very bad form.

Count my among those very pissed off at your note at the top of this chapter. :(
Fenrir666 chapter 60 . 8/26/2011
I love the Harry-Quirrell interactions.
MikeK7 chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
A fair chapter, but the SA arc almost feels like a distraction.

I personally find it hilarious that a small request for donations to a nonprofit results in cries of "OMG HE'S BEEN PLANNING THIS FROM THE START" in the reviews. The best bit was the guy that said you should apply rationality to your own actions. Actually, the best part is where such "reviews" contradict themselves. Actually, the best part is the claims that the story will be deleted due to copyright violation.

Let the haters hate, the lolers lol, and keep up the good writing.
Atomicwalrus chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
Mate what you have done asking for donations in a story this popular and actually receiving over $60,000 may be the most damaging thing anyone has ever done to Harry Potter fanfiction ever. You have blatantly violated the terms and conditions of this site, JKR copyright and Warner Brothers.

All you need is JKR or Warner Brothers catching a wif of this and being suitably offended and you might have them ban fanfiction using their IP. Smaller fandoms have disappeared for far smaller offenses. Seriously mate I have no idea what you were thinking here you may have thought it was ok because it was for a non profit organisation but without getting the owners of the IP’s permission this is still a breach of copyright.
Fenrir666 chapter 58 . 8/26/2011
Best. Pun. Ever. Best. Slytherin Plot. Ever. Best. Harry Potter Fic. EVER.
Taure chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
Eagerly anticipating your rape at the hands of Warner Brothers' lawyers.

At the very least, the story will be deleted by .
Fenrir666 chapter 52 . 8/26/2011
Wow...that is the BEST Azkaban I've yet seen.
z chapter 73 . 8/26/2011
it'd be real interesting if there was a poll to see how readers felt with your SIAS move, Eliezer. Not a hater, per say, but just saying it'd be real interesting to see how much of the fanbase you've ticked off.
33,504 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,319 1,326 1,327 1,328 1329 1,330 1,331 1,332 1,339 .. Last Next »