Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Itachi's apprentice chapter 22 . 6/1/2011
Great work.
Tol chapter 72 . 6/1/2011
Okay, I consider the whole thing about the girls hunting bullies and whatnot completely idiotic. The fic is becoming more and more "meta", to the point that it resembles an insertion of your ideas and not HP fanfiction.
lostallusions chapter 72 . 6/1/2011
Slow starting but picks up speed later on and neatly draws us back to earlier threads while sorting the recent chapters' into place, in particular to fit the earlier Malfoy-Hermione encounters and the Slythern House progression.

Thanks for getting back to this.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/1/2011
On the subject of your inheritance of magical ability : How do two wizard parents get a squib baby? Just for you to ponder.
Mark Kelly chapter 3 . 6/1/2011
I was directed to this fanfic by my son and was initially dismissive of the very idea of fanfic. I have now read all 71 chapters with great enjoyment.

A minor citique if I may - titanium is a poor choice for a hammer since it is relatively light, soft and flexible. Ti is used when its superior strength to weight ratio and corrosion resistance are called for.

To compound the issue, pure titamium is the weakest and softest of the common forms - almost all ti used commercially is alloyed.

If you really wanted to make a hammer that could inflict serious damage, you'd use some combination of tungsten carbide and steel.
Shadowhawke chapter 72 . 6/1/2011
A powerful, and as always, inspiring chapter. Thank you.
belinda chapter 71 . 5/31/2011
Well I'm glad we're back to the fun and cheerful part of the story cause honestly the previous few chapters about Harry coming to terms with the world and 'growing up' was seriously starting to depress me.

Long live S.P.H.E.W!
MogtheGnome chapter 72 . 5/31/2011
Still awful.

Eric Heurtain chapter 27 . 5/31/2011
Not a review, just two opinions:

This chapter is one of the most rowlinguesque so far (and that's not exactly a compliment in this case as you are bringing and blending something very different in your work that is less present here).

The "true" advice of Severus Snapes to Harry Potter sounds like an ad-hoc (over)-generalization: one data point (his immediate interaction with Potter) is used to build a pseudo-profound sentence, mainly to protect his ego and restate his menace in a way that will be easy for Potter to remember and distract him from a correct assessment. It is the kind of rhetorical trick I would have believed Potter immune to.
wes chapter 72 . 5/31/2011
wow, Amazing.

I am not sure what else i can say to give it justice. Every chapter makes me giggle, and these last ones make me curl up in anticipation. Good work!
Ch 40 is kind of awful chapter 40 . 5/31/2011
I strongly dislike this chapter, mostly because it is so clearly a strawman, whether purposeful or not; or whether the author is even playing devil's advocate or not. It reads like a bad episode of Family Guy or South Park, really.

Yes, I know it's uncouth to make this accusation without actually making a detailed rebuttal, but I simply don't have the time. Must get back to reading the ''good'' chapters.
becuzitswrong chapter 72 . 5/31/2011
I have been reading this story for about 6 months, when I saw it on the Rare Stories 3000 Reviews Harry Potter Community page. Just to put it out there, I am not a big HP fan. I read the books, but then I read a lot of stuff. They were okay.

I've read a bit of HP fanfiction. A lot of it was good, some of it was better than Rowlings original work, but of course, derivative, as that is the nature of fanfiction.

All of this being said, I have never read a better fanfiction story (except maybe BtVS Xovers from over at ) than Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. At times funny, poignant, clever, and surprising, this story is always surprising me. Just when I think I have it figured out (Oh, it's a story about Harry Potter uniting the houses to beat Voldie), I find out I am either a) wrong or b) missing the point.

Amazing stuff here. I also find myself following those links you oh so helpfully put up to the Less Wrong: wiki and checking out the sequences and all of the other goodies there. I am having arguments with others using these principles as the basis. And except in the instance where the person with whom I was arguing was sadly so completely convinced of their own rightness that they could have taught Draco a thing or two about sticking to a stupid belief, I have won ever one of them. Scary.

Thanks so much for writing this. I saw your note about this fic being the highest reviewed HP Fanfic out there and I can see why. I wish did the same thing they do at and allowed everyone to have a set number of favorite stories and search by stories with the most recommendations. I think this story would do quite well in that type of system.

I will be reviewing each chapter as it comes out from now on. This story deserves no less. Thanks again and I look forward to the next illumination into the quirky depths of your mind.
Just a quick correction chapter 36 . 5/31/2011
First World, Second World, and Third World refer to Capitalist, Communist, and Neutral, not to levels of general advancement. Zeroth World would refer to something like hypercapitalism, or possibly fascism, depending on how you look at it, but not a "cleaner society".
Anon chapter 72 . 5/31/2011
I'm finally caught up enough such that I can read new chapters as you post them. What a wonderful story.
Sara chapter 2 . 5/31/2011
Egads! I also forgot to mention how I find it utterly ridiculous that a child so seemingly mature could bite a teacher... at age seven! You'd think a wunderkind would know how inappropriate that is. I think you were aiming for comedic effect and to demonstrate that, though Harry is well versed in all aspects of academia... he is still a child. However, a reaction like that just makes Harry seem unstable.

I wonder if this is how Harry will be depicted in the entirety of this fic?
32,522 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,320 1,327 1,328 1,329 1330 1,331 1,332 1,333 1,340 .. Last Next »