Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Guest chapter 63 . 12/3/2010
Vance is not at all an anagram of Vecna.
Tangshou chapter 6 . 12/3/2010
Another serious hint about something that hasn't been revealed by Ch 63. Though subtle here, when combined with Ch 58 it is quite strong. Well done.

The girl's and McGonagall's reactions were too strong I think. Over 10 years since the war ended and they are still that affected by thinking about death?
Tangshou chapter 5 . 12/3/2010
'awesomecool blonde-white hair' - you win

Well done scene in the clothing shop. Would McGonagall really have left though? And Draco saying he wanted to get sorted into Gryffindor, when his father was already there, is over the top even given the situation.

Great description of Lucius also.
Tangshou chapter 4 . 12/3/2010
I love the tagline: "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

However, this actual line is not used until Ch 6. Is that intentional?

Batman's utility belt of holding!

And thank you for pointing out the absurdness of storing gold in vaults.
Tangshou chapter 3 . 12/3/2010
Improvement over cannon - concealing Harry's identity on his first visit to Daigon Alley. Also a nice contrast with the line '...something perfect that I built up in my imagination.'

*** lite spoiler ***

There's a major hint near the end of this chapter about something that STILL hasn't been revealed by Ch 63. I see you've planned some things well in advance.
Chasing chapter 63 . 12/3/2010
This was very, very beautiful. Update soon!
Diablo Snowblind chapter 63 . 12/3/2010
Less Wrong,

I am an undergrad economics student at a small liberal arts college in New York. As the years have passed, my intellectual curiosity has been converging evermore on economics and finance, to the exclusion of essentially everything else; science, philosophy, politics, actual literature, to name a very few. After reading this story, and now re-reading it, you have helped me realize that I was being a fool; that although it's to be commended that I've found a true passion in the study of human enterprise, by focusing on that in exclusion I am stunting, putting a wretched ceiling on, my capacity for intellectual growth. Though there were other factors that led to me this realization, reading your story was the final determinant. Because of this, I've decided to focus less on economics, and to begin taking classes, and doing my own reading on, calculus, chemistry, and empiricism, as a starting point. In addition I've decided to begin going through, and doing my best to understand, the works of the Less Wrong Sequences.

Sir, you have my utmost thanks for this wonderful story. I no longer wish to be a lifelong specialist of economics who remains ignorant of Montaigne, Francis Bacon, empiricism, the scientific method, higher science...I want to learn it all, to learn everything. I have accumulated a massive stack of books of economics and finance, I have devoted hundreds of hours to the pursuit of money in my brokerage account...I will not stop these things, but it will be toned down. I will return to bettering myself, to the pursuit of knowledge that may not be in my comfort zone, but still must be learned, because it's the right thing to do. Via Less Wrong, you've provided me a path towards that end. For that, sir, you again have my utmost thanks.

I do have one recommendation. John Kenneth Galbraith, the pre-eminent Institutionalist, said something that really was quite poignant, when recalled while reading Draco's reaction to his becoming a scientist, to no longer believing in blood purism.

"faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there's no need to do so, most people get busy on the proof."

In fact, sir, I think that you'd enjoy reading Galbraith. Whoever you are in real life, you seem to have some knowledge of finance, judging from the comment of arbitraging away market inefficiencies and the power a hedge fundie could wield in Rowling's universe, early on in the story. I would really, outstandingly, appreciate a few references to economics in the coming chapters. I'd pretty much be going "this author wins so hard," while hopefully laughing my ass off.

That is all. I look forward to the coming chapters. When you finish this story, I'd actually like to see a comment on who you are in real life. In nearly every chapter of this story, I've been wondering "who IS this guy? How can anyone (aside from a 60 year old philosopher) be so educated in so many areas? People this educated EXIST?"

Peace, Less Wrong. Again, I thank you for the route to knowledge you've provided.
Tangshou chapter 2 . 12/3/2010
Another good chapter. Actually, all of your early chapters are excellent. I've re-read through chapter 22, and the writing starts to get a little 'loose' (for lack of a better word) around Ch. 17 and stays that way, at least through Ch. 22. Still very good, but it doesn't feel as well crafted as the beginning.

I really LOVE your McGonagall. She's actually not much different from cannon but the way she reacts to new Harry is wonderful.

*** lite spoiler ***

Through Ch. 63, Harry is still not any closer to understanding animagus transformation. Wonder when he'll get around to that...
A Fan chapter 61 . 12/3/2010
I suppose I can forgive Mr. Potter for that Azkaban gig as long as McGonagall does, but if he EVER tries ANYTHING like that again I swear I am going to kill him. I'll find a way.
Tangshou chapter 1 . 12/3/2010
This is my second time through this story. I didn't review much the first time through so you'll be getting 50 more reviews from me over the next month.

This chapter is a great introduction to the series. It does a great job of introducing Harry and contrasting his idea of rationality and science with with his father's, which is what many people think science is. I also like the argument between his mother and father, where she wants him to 'trust her just this once.' That sounds exactly like discussions that one of my professor's has with his wife.

Classic: 'His father was sitting in the living-room and reading a book of higher math to show how smart he was; and his mother was in the kitchen preparing one of his father's favorite dishes to show how loving she was.'
uo-chou chapter 63 . 12/3/2010
Interesting! I liked it immensely, as I have all of your other chapters. Please keep up the great work!
steffiii07 chapter 5 . 12/3/2010
I think I love you... just for writing this story, I have never ever lauhed so damn hard at something im reading or loved it so much, I just woke my dad up at 4:25 AM because I was laughing that loud, best storu EVER!
WisteriaAndHoneysuckle chapter 2 . 12/3/2010
Well done! It's been ages since I've seen a Bayesian updating reference outside of academia and your "plague of giant zebras" made me laugh out loud. An interesting premise so far.
Vermouth chapter 17 . 12/3/2010
This has got to be the most original yet solid portrayal of Harry I've ever had the pleasure to read. And this chapter has reduced me to tears of laughter, well done!
Guest chapter 63 . 12/3/2010
So, I was walking around campus today and found a bunch of lovely chalk drawings. In between pictures of smiley faces, spongebob, and trogdor was written "Less Wrong is awesome. "

Seeing that made up for not having any MoR to read, at least a little bit.
29,801 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,321 1,328 1,329 1,330 1331 1,332 1,333 1,334 1,341 .. Last Next »