Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Guest chapter 72 . 6/9/2011
Love this story. Please keep writing it!
Jacob chapter 72 . 6/9/2011
I think that you need to write more but its a great story except for the part were Harry blackmails Snape, its kind of unrealistic
Mezzavia chapter 24 . 6/9/2011
Lol.. Death Note. Truthfully, ruling the world must be very tiring.. Don't think that many people would be up for it. D

Poor Hermione D8..I wonder what's going to happen at Halloween x). Will they get closer, just like the original trio? _

..And a giant chocolate frog! 8D. I once got a giant Lindor..

Doesn't Harry wish for someone he can trust? It'd make his life so much more enjoyable DX.
Albernheit chapter 72 . 6/9/2011
Wow, the Malfoy family connectivity is all I want to see between knots of a network. Considering how far they've come from a simple ping signal I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are some evolving have the morals of one, assuming classic SF wsn't too pesimistic.

Nice chapter, all in all.
34567876545678767 chapter 67 . 6/9/2011
I must say, I do enjoy the imagery the "lagann" spell suggests

:D
Death by manga chapter 72 . 6/9/2011
Draco should realize his feelings for Hermione sooner than later.

I'm positive that S is Snape who is planning something, though I'm not sure what,
piaochong chapter 72 . 6/9/2011
This story is by far one of the greatest things i have ever read. I have never read anything outside of my Uni text books which has ever really taught me anything so overtly. Great story, great flow of characters and their progression, and i love the little subtle additives of cannon jokes and storylines.

This is a real treat to read, I cant wait for the next chapter!
Cordelia Darcy chapter 11 . 6/9/2011
*wipes tears from eyes* I honestly think this is the hardest I've laughed in my entire life. This chapter was...beyond words. I was just browsing around this fic (I didn't really want to commit because it's so dang long!) But now it's official: I'm going back to chapter 1 and reading the whole thing.
ptitlaby chapter 72 . 6/9/2011
Ok, here we go man !

My first review about your story Hp and the MoR, and the first I do after 3 days of non stop reading.

First thing: Due to your story, I had some terrible headache trying to understand all philosopy concept you developped !

More seriously ...

I'm a french reader, so since English is not my favorite language I may not understand the whole story, but since French translation are really crap (you can't feel the spirit of the story) I prefered to read it in English.

The story itself is amazing, you are totally out of most clichees, you are picking some elements from others books I love (like "Do you really think Salazar Serpentard would put the enter of the Chamber of Secret in a Bathroom ?" I laughed hard at this one !) and you are melting my brain each time I read.

Please continue your story, even if I'm curious how much time you could dedicate to it, and what do you plan with it. Will you do a whole scolarship ? Only the first year ?

And my main question is "How do you manage to write so many crazy things ? :D"

I'm curious about who you are too actually. You seems to have a strong background in science (since I didn't see any erronous info inside, which is kinda surprising for most of fanfictions) and you seems to be fond of Philosophy too, and usually we don't study both :)

Keep up the good work man !

Laby
Bias Hazard chapter 16 . 6/8/2011
I've decided to teach, and this chapter played a critical part in that decision. Thank you, Eliezer.
SpyOne chapter 1 . 6/8/2011
My brother usually refers to this story as "What if Harry Potter were written by a writer who is actually good." I find that comment a bit too unkind to fully agree with.

I have never read the books for Harry potter, as I am well outside their target demographic, but I have family members inside that demographic and they made me watch the movies. So I do have something to use to compare.

Methods of Rationality, or MoR as it is known, is an excellent story in its own right. It is the story of an orphan who lived a fairly happy life with his adoptive parents in the world you and I know, only to discover that magic is real and he has the opportunity to attend school in a land where magic is commonplace. Being of a scientific mind and upbringing, he begins to use the scientific method to figure out exactly how magic works.

He also learns that he is likely going to have to confront an evil wizard bent on genocidal world domination at some point, and begins to prepare himself for that.

I can think of one specific point where MoR is better written than the books by J.K. Rowling: J.K. Rowling has said that she made Harry, in her books, rich (within Magical Britain) because she didn't want to have him worrying about how to pay for his schoolbooks, or repairs to his robes and such. However, she seems to have overlooked that being rich would solve a great many of Harry's other problems, as well. As MoR's Harry points out, there are certain purchases which are only reasonable and prudent, so much so that any guardian who did not agree to them would be easily removed by the courts. If there is a reliable prophesy that one will have to fight for one's life, hiring a tutor in self-defense is reasonable and prudent. In fact, not doing so would be considered reckless.

I have derived hours of enjoyment from The Methods of Rationality, and hours more from reading it aloud to family members. It frequently produces moments that make me laugh out loud.

If you are in the mood for a story of a boy from the mundane world who gets to learn to become a wizard, I recommend Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. If you aren't in such a mood, I recommend you try it as it will probably change your mind. And if you are a fan of the Harry potter books, ... I am given to understand that makes it even better. ;)

SpyOne

06/09/2011
Death by manga chapter 67 . 6/8/2011
I love the idea of using weights, but seeing as magic is tied to both gesture and vocal keys, wouldn't there be the chance that you might move your wand TOO fast and overtake you words? Or speak TOO fast to keep up with your new speed?
Death by manga chapter 63 . 6/8/2011
So, you're opening up for another plot, involving Harry leaving Hogwats? He should take Draco and Hermione with him.
Death by manga chapter 62 . 6/8/2011
You know, personally, I think Azkabam is a good thing. There is a saying that I love to quote (I'm not entirely sure if I'm even quoting anything though), "Sometimes, to be a hero, one must play the role of the villian. Sometimes, being hated and never forgiven is a price one must make to protect your ideals."

Though a Dementor is a dumb way to make it. I would use a Buggart and prevent any form of magic on the user. Maybe a crossbreed would suffice, between fear and death. THAT way, every prisoner's punishment is made different each time.
Death by manga chapter 60 . 6/8/2011
Have either of them considered touching up on Dynasty China (you know, BEFORE the Imperialists came in with their Open-door policy)?

Using a Non-Religious version of the Mandate of Heaven and a set up involving a Middle Man system, one could create a way for people to elect any leader they desired at any moment, regardless of terms. (They'd still have to have just cause for removing their ruler)

All businesses could be controlled, but not run, by Government officials, who then supplied their reviews to their boss, who did so again and again, creating a tree like pattern of Bosses/Employees. Products and Profits would all be collected and stored, and payment would be administered systematically. Products would as well be bought from the government, who would then place THAT profit like any other business.

With a system of rival politicians keeping tabs on each others, corruption would decline, and efficiency would rise.
32,687 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,321 1,328 1,329 1,330 1331 1,332 1,333 1,334 1,341 .. Last Next »