Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Another Lazy Rationalist chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
Update guessing game guess:

2011-01-17: 7pm

Reasoning:

-He says he'll be updating 7pm only to cut down on crack dispenser button mashing. Could be late or a bit early though.

-It's been ~1 week, but he's busy so ... but he may just as likely go a week further than that...

-I'm guessing he does a lot of writing/editing on the weekends and tends to therefore update on Mon/Tues
Another Lazy Rationalist chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
I just had an idea:

While waiting for Author Lord to finish the next chapter by stealing time from important work (read: find time so he doesn't burn out on important work or MoR - no, rationalists don't have god like willpower to always do what they know is theoretically optimal, I'd like to see a chapter based on that concept actually, but I digress; now where was I? Oh, yes, while waiting for updates like starving rat with food button...) I'd like a game to play. Specifically, I'd like to guess what day the next chapter will be uploaded to ffnet.

Rules:

1. Only 1 guess per reviewer per chapter.

2. Only votes on the next chapter count (no guessing for chp. 100 when only chp. 70 is up)

3. Each guess should have a day and an hour.

Format YEAR-MM-DD: HR (2011-01-17: 7pm)

4. Winner(s) are the 1st to guess the correct time.

5. Winner(s) receive 0.5 geek points per win plus bragging rights.

5b. Author gets data on his predictability if there are lots of players plus, if he plays his cards right, a good number of people who are perfectly fine with a later update.
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 47 . 1/7/2011
Draco's voice came out in a scream. "Dumbledore burned her to death in her own bedroom!"

WHAT THE -

Oh, wait, alternate universe. Never mind.
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 44 . 1/7/2011
That chapter has ended in a combination of laughter and shock. It's a weird feeling...
Scottish Ninja chapter 64 . 1/7/2011
I would love to see more of Lord of the Rationality. Frodo's words were absolutely what I was thinking on a more critical reading of that scene in the original.
malcolm75k chapter 65 . 1/7/2011
Strategy is not finding the path to victory, but making sure all paths lead to victory.

Ha! By offering what he does, Quirrel makes Harry's choice irrelevant.

If Harry accepts and QuirrelMort wants him dead, Harry is putting his neck on the block voluntarily.

If Harry does not accept and QuirrelMort enacts the plan anyway, Harry will be confused and unsuspecting long enough to eliminate if dark intentions are involved.

Either path, QM can choose to play act or do harm. If he chooses to kill, Potter is gone. If he chooses to play act, then Harry is "free" and in his debt - again.

Nicely done.
Ao yuki chapter 8 . 1/7/2011
You're absolutely AMAZING and I could kiss you. Do you study psychology, by any chance...?

In any case, you're awesome.
Dodos-r-not-extinct chapter 29 . 1/7/2011
So did Sirius really betray the Potters in this universe? Or is Pettigrew just hiding somewhere else?
mskkid chapter 47 . 1/7/2011
Damn it. Just when I think I'm out you suck me back in. Thank you. I'd more or less given up on fanfiction as a whole recently. And then I found this. I started reading at slightly after 11:30 pm. It is now roughly 7:35 Am. I hardly noticed the time pass by. I'm only stopping now because my eyes are refusing to focus it's been several years since anything has entranced me so much that I lose all perspective of anything else (and I spend large amounts of money on new books each week, not unlike your version of Harry). This is truly wonderful and you have a real gift for writing. I'm partially convinced that you're J.K.R in disguise testing out how the books could have been. You've got your versions of the characters set to a T, nothing ever feels out of place and it's wonderful. Most fanfictions written like this would have Harry reeking of the dreaded stink of Mary Sue by this point. Yours doesn't. He's a wild prodigy but nothing about it comes of as unbelievable(except for y'know the magic) or overpowered. That is no small feat and you are to be highly congratulated for achieving it. The keyboard is starting to blur at this point, so I'm simply going to give you my highest respect and encourage you to keep this up. Thank you.
Leo chapter 64 . 1/7/2011
Robin Hanson as Quirrell was fine, but Sauron? Now that's just low.
Ao yuki chapter 5 . 1/7/2011
Oh god. When I read the part when McGonagall walked in, I just cracked up in full blown laughter.

Thank goodness I'm alone at home.
koipen chapter 64 . 1/7/2011
Hehhee. Quite the brilliant Fermat reference. The same day I also did a fermat reference in the exact same form.
Rosalind chapter 64 . 1/7/2011
"I'm tired of your arbitrary deontological constraints, Edward."

I think that would make an infinitely better tattoo than any of the lines from canon!Twilight that people have gotten tattoos of, like "and so the lion fell in love with the lamb." Thank you for that, I really needed those laughs.
Orson Zedd chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
Haha, awesome shout out to Super Mario Brothers 3. Venus Fire Trap, indeed.
NotSoSuperGirl chapter 65 . 1/6/2011
I've got to say that I absolutely love this story. It is incredibly original, and really humorous at points. I love the satire you display when you mention points of contention in the actual books. Though it is easy to get lost when Harry starts on his long monologues about science and rationalism, I find them very informative, and they usually further the story, which is nice. :) Update Soon!
30,355 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,322 1,329 1,330 1,331 1332 1,333 1,334 1,335 1,342 .. Last Next »