Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Animekitty47 chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Whoa, did Dumbledore just lose his phoneix? The way you worded, maybe not, like an angry person who just wants to get away from the source of their anger, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're cutting all ties with them. Fawkes is awesome either way. XP As is McGonagall. I almost think Harry might've taken it better if he heard the first part from her. Though its interesting your Dumbledore doesn't trust his blood wards when book Dumbledore was perfectly willing to let Harry go back to a home that he knew was not treating him well just for the sake of those wards and the Power of Love protection they continued. .
Peregrinate chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Oooh, I like. And is there one more chapter before haitus, or is this? I hope there's another chapter, but I suppose I'll survive...
sensoray chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
ahhh! love the way how harry did the time turner action XD and poor dumbledore...his pheonix is gone...i wonder how the rest of the school will react to it?
WHCnelson chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
Haven't read this chapter yet but I will...
Quantumfruitpunch chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
I. Love. This. Story!
ByLanternLight chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Very moving. This is a sentiment I feel acutely.
roshnir chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Poor Harry. McGonagall's repeated assurance of her trust would have been tough to handle.

I hope Harry does get back to all those questions about V's resurrection and Dumbledore's hints about why Bellatrix was broken out of Azkaban in the aftermath.
NormalAnomaly chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
This chapter made me cry. Nobody is perfectly good or perfectly evil, I'm not particularly evil, but I'm a lot less good than Harry or you. Thank you for writing this.
Looney the coon chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Awww, it's so fluffy!
FuzzyBoots chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Were it not for a fair amount of establishing text on phoenixes being intelligent in the world of Harry Potter, I might accuse Harry of projecting, anthropomorphizing Fawkes's cries so that he hears what he wants, much as people do with their cats today when they meow.

So, Harry has some of the clues that he needs to realize that Quirrell's plans are likely not to his own good. The question is whether he can admit that he has been so wrong for so long. The fact that he's still got some degree of shock over magic existing might work for or against in this case.

Good story. Looking forward to the rest of the parts over the next month. :)
Eli Courtwright chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Oh man, I just realized that you forshadowed Margaret Bulstrode haveing a Time Turner and how she 'wasn't very strict about how she used it, e.g. sharing really good pieces of gossip "before" anyone else had heard' in Chapter 46.

When Tracy and Daphne rush into the Slytherin common room to tell everyone the news about Harry and Hermione, they find that "Miss Bulstrode" had already told everyone! That's some awesome foreshadowing!

However, in Chapter 46 she's referred to as "Millicent" rather than "Margaret" - is that a nickname or a mistake?
Paganimagus chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
The sourcing of the extra time-turner was both exasperatingly unfair, but satisfyingly credible. Well done.

I love Fawkes too. Hes sweet

And lessened my worries (only a touch) about Harry's dark side dominance.

Hermione may have been a little right...
CaptainBooshi chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
Enjoying the fic so far, just wanted to comment on some of the reviews I saw for this chapter:

-In retrospect, the author all but told us Millicent had a time-turner already. Back when Hermione kissed Harry, the two Slytherin girls rushed back to tell the story as quick as possible, and Millicent had already told everyone, they had already stopped talking about it, and had time to get comfortable again, something that should only have been possible with time-travel. I think there was even another similar case, but I can't bring it to mind, so I might be wrong about that.

-To the people defending Azkaban, there is a difference between agreeing with the need to imprison people and agreeing that anyone above a certain level of crime should be tortured every moment of their remaining lives until they die. It's not a very high level of crime, either. At least one person is in there for involuntary manslaughter, e.g. the woman who accidentally killed someone a few chapters back, and I think they mentioned that even being an Animagus illegally is a sentence that will get you into Azkaban. That's not even getting into the question of innocents being sent there to a fate that sounds even worse than just a straight death sentence.
ender13sfd chapter 39 . 11/28/2010
Well, you have created a nice Debate between Dumbeldure and Harry.

Obviously Dumbledore's arguments are meek at best (he sounds like an old priest) but so did one of Harry's.

An example:

"if people had souls there wouldn't be any such thing as brain damage" exactly like people can't move their arm after it's been cut off, it doesn't make them less alive..

However under this story's constrains Dumbledore's position is indeed poorly dependable and even more poorly defended.

It's your story to tell...
SurahAhriman chapter 62 . 11/28/2010
First of all, I'd like to note that this is one of the most wonderful things I've ever read.

I think Harry is correct about the evil of Azkaban. The use of Dementors as prison guards is appalling, particularly when one remembers that the cannon story shows an enormously powerful Dark Wizard (Grindewald) imprisoned without the use of Dementors for over five decades! Simply removing a wizard's wand neuters them to a massive degree in the Potterverse. It does not stretch the imagination to think other precautions could not be easily taken to increase security, such as, off the top of my head:

Anti-magic zone.

"No magic from any wand not specifically keyed to daily passwords provided by both the Minister of Magic and the Head of the Aurors" permanant area charm.

Shadowrun-style "mage masks": Tube down the throat (no incantations), goggles flashing strobe lights (can't concentrate/can't see), headphones blaring white noise (can't concentrate, now deprived of the two most useful senses). Still torture, but not "Holy crap, animated magical Death is feeding on the remnants of my happiness" torture.

Medically/magically induced coma. Charm up some bad dreams if you favor a retributive theory of punishment.

Yes, you might need to up the amount of guards, but frankly that would probably be a lot easier if guard duty didn't consist of 8 hours of high octane, eldritch nightmare fuel.

Also, I loved Fawkes. Very nicely done. It took a second reading to tease out the nuance of what exactly was happening, but you masterfully sidestepped a big opportunity to break my suspension of disbelief.
29,645 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,327 1,334 1,335 1,336 1337 1,338 1,339 1,340 1,347 .. Last Next »