Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 30 . 1/13/2011
Quirrell was worried about Harry gaming the exit criteria if he made it explicit. Apparently he should have been equally worried about Hermione gaming the hit criteria, because she wouldn't have won if they'd been playing paintball, or a magical equivalent where it was obvious to the opposition that someone had truly been hit and was out versus faking it.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 27 . 1/13/2011
And once again Severus Snape demonstrates just how reprehensible an individual he really is. Not only is he consistently ungrateful and unforgiving, but he chooses to strike his most emotionally laden blows at the very moments that he should be most grateful. His timing is impeccably bad. He did it to James, he did it to Lily, and now he's done it to Harry.
mione granger2175 chapter 13 . 1/13/2011
When I first started to read this story I didn't think I was going to like it. but now I LOVE it! I can't stop laughing at Harry's predicaments and what happened with the Sorting Hat
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 22 . 1/13/2011
You didn't describe a test that was blind enough. If Harry had copied the spells out of the spell books and made the alterations, then he knew what the spell books actually said, and since he was the one testing Hermione, the test was not double-blind.

There is also the possibility that magic works in subtly different ways for different users. Hermione is a rule follower. For her, there may well be psychological impediments that make it impossible for a spell to work properly if altered at all. She is also highly verbal which may make correct incantation more important than other factors. Someone more in touch with raw magic, someone who has done lots of 'accidental' magic, like Tom Riddle, may get entirely different results.
Keiren-Kun89 chapter 4 . 1/13/2011
Much like that goblin I am looking at my screen with a gaze of frank respect, possibly even outright admiration as I laugh so hard I tear the muscles in my diaphragm. This is SO good.
BLitZme.2 chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
LORD OF THE RATIONALITY

I would love to see more Lord of the Rationality, or at least a plot summery or even just Bilbo’s plan. Plus your version of the riddle game and Smaug scenes would kick ass. This is several dozen kinds of Win.

THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE

You seem to be missing what I always took as the point of the story. Ao one of three things appears true. One you don’t get it. Two discarded the idea by rejecting one of its assumptions. Three you ignore it for the sake of presenting a reasonable alternative.

So pleas humor me but it always seemed to me that a key part of the original story’s message was if free will and or independence (likely the development there of) are basic to morality than a good God figure can conceivably be obliged to let others do “his work”. The need for the moral intermediaries in such a case is not a matter of true necessity but one of moral necessity, such a being could end any conflict in a stroke but ether in the interest of free will or the growth of the beings it cares for it cannot just hand them a victory they must work for it themselves and be truly able to fail or it is meaningless and hollow providing no struggle which is an essential element in growth or choice.

Also consider this do you really consider it a CHOICE to do GOOD if your only options are good A or good B? In that case how can you say you chose good all you have chosen is A or B where both happen to be good. Thus to chose good it must at least be truly possible to chose evil. So if you believe that choosing good is a vital action morally than evil must be something that can be done and thus the White Witch and her allies must be allowed some form of free action as Aslan appears obliged to her morally as well By his own moral reasoning. Also not being omniscient or having infinite computational ability to examine implications it seems to me that some kinds of interaction are not immoral for a good “God” under these circumstances though no interaction also seems plausible. Further in a case like the later I can see little if any way to tell such a universe from ether our own or one with no God (a bad sigh for logically arguing in favor of God I admit).

This is roughly why I consider it foolish to A. bash belief in religion B. Carte blanche rule out moral omniscient beings C. say an omnipotent “God” makes us and our efforts necessarily pointless as our struggles and decisions and choice to be good could be the whole point. Just as I believe that in the absence of God that is one of if not the only thing we should

ERDŐS IN CHAINS

Insufficient Data For Meaningful Answer.

THUNDERSMARTS

You know a I always assumed MumRah and his Pyramid were protected by magic and or super science (and that maybe he crippled there ship as it was trying to land on third earth)

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF RATIONALITY

This is both awesome and sufficient though I assume Evillin is the brains of the bad guys ether way a glimpse at hem might be cool but I doubt even one whole story would be awesome or at least ahce the awesome density of HPMOR

FATE/SANE NIGHT

I don’t get it anyone please advise

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN RATIONALITY 40K

Best copout ever.

Though I wonder if your solution to spiral nemesis is the same as mine.

If I understand the problem correctly spiral nemesis I when the energy and mater created by overuse of Spiral power turns the universe into a huge black hole, which is of course very bad. Well what I would do to solve this problem is to use the unlimited energy provided by Access to spiral power, to push all for the mater and energy of the universe apart on a truly cosmic scale. Thus reducing the density of the universe and averting the collapse, as black holes are a function of density not mass. This of course does not work in certain space time geometries especially ones that are closed and or finite and possibly some or all open and infinite.

If anyone sees an error in this I would like to know pleas.

UTILITARIAN TWILIGHT

In the interest of completeness here is a list of Negatives. Loss of reproduction, Severe emotional upheaval, Mood swings seem apparent (Have only herd bashing and seen ri tracks of movie 1 to base this clame on), Increase in aggression and territorialism, Reduced impulse control, Possible dulling of emotions, Possible supernatural unknowns (we grant Psi advantages it is idiotic to ignore this angle and foolish to not investigate it.)

At the very least she should realize not everyone wants those and two we would be boned as a species if a method for the population to bread was not established, though she has a good point. Also this is a manageable issue but still an issue, how are we getting all the needed blood? I doubt our livestock capacity could stand even a 30% switch over to pure carnivore in the short to midterm and in the long term it has some large problems (carnivorous inefficiencies and all), also it makes manned space travel a pain.
The Quiller chapter 1 . 1/12/2011
I made the mistake of reading this in class and started laughing hysterically in the middle of a calculus lecture, which resulted in an awkward silence, many incredulous stares, and flustered apologies on my part afterwards. I regret nothing. This story was more than worth any trouble invested in reading all two-hundred thousand plus words.

Thank you for proving that quality of content and quantity of updates within a limited time period are not mutually exclusive.

~The Quiller
Tormuse chapter 17 . 1/12/2011
Well, Dumbledore *does* seem to be behaving even more strangely than his canon counterpart, but then again, perhaps he feels a need to ramp up his quirkiness to throw off Harry's higher intelligence. That way his hints are more subtle. (He does still seem to be pressing the idea of Harry exploring that third floor corridor)
The Blasphemous Contessa chapter 33 . 1/12/2011
If it weren't for Ender's Game I'd have no idea what was going on three quartets of the time. Still not scurvy enough to understand but definitely amused
Tormuse chapter 16 . 1/12/2011
I think it's interesting that Quirrel awards Draco a house point for "demonstrating an exemplary virtue of Slytherin" but then takes a point away from Ravenclaw when Harry demonstrates a Ravenclaw virtue. Also, I would disagree with Quirrel's assertion that Hermione failed his test. I thought she was very effective in proving that her intelligence and ability don't make her dangerous.

Then again, Quirrel being evil as he is, that sort of hypocrisy should be expected, right? :)
Tormuse chapter 7 . 1/12/2011
As horrible as the subject of rape is, I couldn't help laughing when Draco first brought it up just for the absurdity of those words coming out of the mouth of an eleven-year-old boy. (Kind of like the absurdity of a lot of the stuff baby Stewie says from Family Guy)

But now that I think about it... How would Draco even know what rape is in the first place? The only way I can imagine is that his father must have taught him, and, judging by the way Draco talks about it, Lucius must have said something like, "it's a great way to punish and humiliate your enemies." I find the idea that an adult would teach such things to his child even more disturbing than anything else Draco said. : *shudder*

Anyway, this is a brilliant chapter that sets up what's sure to be a really interesting power struggle between Draco and Harry as they each try to use and manipulate each other.
Qwertiest chapter 4 . 1/12/2011
Amazing work, I haven't literally laughed out loud to a story in quite a while, but, for this one, I've been giggling myself silly.
Andrius chapter 35 . 1/12/2011
It seems to me at this point (Ch. 35) that Harry is making Draco and Hermione cooperate on purpose, as another step of "turning" Draco. Which is of course a pretty cool thing.
The Blasphemous Contessa chapter 30 . 1/12/2011
So many references I don't even know where to start
Reader chapter 4 . 1/12/2011
Potter: How can you call the day happy when you have learned how your parents died? How can you say you defeated the Dark Lord when you know you didn't? How can you speak about toys when you don't play toys?

I haven't read any other HP books before (I haven't read the "classic" cannon, yes), and still I haven't even stumbled when reading the word "muggle".
30,535 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,328 1,335 1,336 1,337 1338 1,339 1,340 1,341 1,348 .. Last Next »