Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Ezvir chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Luigar: you could donate to the Singularity Institute for Artificial Initelligence /donate/

Working on friendly AI there is his day job, and also the cause he believes in.
Luingar chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
*zombie drool*

moooorrree... MOOOOOOREE!

ps: where do i throw money if i want it to get it to you?
Kitsune chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Love this storey. Still get thew giggles over "The Headmaster set fire to a chicken!"
Greytune chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
I still quite don't trust Quirrell. It seems like he's just put up this 'good guy' facade to fool everyone. Ah well...

I just started reading this, and it's now in my favorites. This story truly is unique, and since I already have a weird kink for science, it's awesome to see rational!Harry in charge for once.

Update soon, please.
aeschenkarnos chapter 20 . 5/12/2010
Fantastic story and I eagerly await each chapter.

However I'm not sure that Horcruxing the Pioneer Plaque is such a good idea. Certainly it puts the horcrux as far away from human beings as is practically possible. However:

MAGIC

1) It's presumably retrievable with any teleportation method not subject to distance-based limitation.

2) It's a spell of great power which may give off a noticable magical aura, particularly out in space where there is (presumably) *no* other magic of any kind, not even life.

3) Merry Christmas to the Mi-go people. Please accept this gifted mindslave.

4) Happy Birthday, Great Cthulhu. We sent you chocolates.

SCIENCE

1) Even though we lost contact with it in 1995, humans know pretty much exactly where this thing is. It travels at 11.6 km/s, ie 0.3% of light speed, along a known trajectory. Even if you subscribe to Charles Stross's "The High Frontier Redux", (and in this world you don't, because of magic, and magic changes everything), that's still retrievable within a century or two.

2) It "yells". Not loudly any more, since it's getting such a tiny amount of power, but it could be detected by spacefaring entities.

3) Mi-Go. They do both science *and* magic.

4) Impact with *anything* at 11.6 km/s, however vanishly unlikely, is still going to destroy that horcrux.

MAGIC/SCIENCE

1) Use magic to solve scientific problems. FTL travel by some other means than teleportation. Magical adaptation to the space non-environment. Perpetual motion, breach of the laws of thermodynamics, solution of NP-complete problems, etc. Granted, Harry's feeling his way towards this "magistery", this synthesis of the Art and the Art ...

2) The Outer Dark is outer, and dark. Given how much else of "human science" is plain *wrong*, it's entirely likely that human science is wrong about the nature and perhaps the very existence of space itself. How does Voldemort know that Outer Space is not Cold Hell? (I stand within a nutshell, and count myself king of infinite space ...)

Out of all of this, were I Voldemort, I'd be most worried about the Mi-Go. Would you give effective control of one-seventh of your soul to hypersentient magical brain/bug/fungus things who specialize in magical control of souls?

(Of course, you can wand-wave all this away and declare that Mi-Go and similar things don't exist in your universe, and there really is insurmountable space between the stars ... but that's exactly what pre-story Harry believed about magic.)
Methinks chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
Absolutely incredible. I can honestly say I now have a new favorite story on this site. Out of all the myriad works of fiction I've ever read, this is one of the few that have ever made me stop and 'think', and that alone is about the highest praise I can give. Funny is easy. Tension, horror, and drama priceless, but common, tools. But stories where I actually want to pause and consider everything that's been said - and in such a fashion as to not disrupt the flow - are few in number and should be treasured. Please keep updating, I beg of you.
Jinx of the 2nd Law chapter 19 . 5/11/2010
Wow.

Many fans have vilified the house of Slytherin. It is a house for those who desire power. It is not an evil place, just as not all power is inherently evil, or used for evil.

The hierarchies of the wizarding world are unfamiliar to the Muggles, with their notions of democracy and personal freedom. But they do serve a purpose in that world.

Thank you for another excellent, thought inspiring chapter!
acepro Evolution chapter 19 . 5/11/2010
I'm truly surprised. There has never been a story where the depiction of Professor Quirrell was so detailed. The way in which you described his lesson was inspiring for it the way in which you did it just hits you with awe.

As I read more of this I wonder if this is going to be this way for a number of cast characters, especially ones that are not very well known like Madam Rosmerta, Rita Skeeter and Gilderoy Lockhart. These characters have just as much to teach as Professor Quirrell and I suspect that many readers (including myself) would be very surprised to see a detailed account of their character and personalities which was lacking in the books and movies.

Till next time and remember. . .

. . . WICKET UN TUSH ON LEG!
oxybusy chapter 9 . 5/11/2010
this is amazing lol.
Impatiens Psittacina chapter 5 . 5/11/2010
Between this chapter and the last one I couldn't breathe from laughing so hard, I had to walk away from the computer a few times so I could contiune reading
faithaholic chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
first of all, changing the ending was so not funny. it's finals week for me and i've been living on about 2 hours of sleep a night and coffee and when i looked at the ending again and it was different i thought i had hallucinated it or something. then as far as the whole 'how can i make it clear that prof quirrell is volemort' question, you have already made it quite clear. i started questioning the possibility during his speech at the welcoming feast. please don't change what you're writing just because there are some who haven't gotten it yet... it would negatively effect the quality of your story.
Andrew chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
My misinterpretation of events was the thought that Professor Quirrel had somehow repelled or fought down Voldemort, and was a zombie only when Voldemort attempted control.

I failed to connect the dots.
Greytune chapter 14 . 5/11/2010
"Oh, you can't change time!" Professor McGonagall interrupted. "Good heavens, Mr. Potter, do you think these would be allowed students if that was possible? What if someone tried to change their test scores?"

And it was right about HERE that I realized that Harry will obviously use the time-turner to go back in time and go to Sprout's class. After all, why else would she treat him so well if he hadn't attended the class and impressed her?

"This one he managed to keep quiet, making only a small strangling sound like a dying kitten as he realized who'd put the note on his bed this morning."

YES. EXACTLY. I actually figured that part out almost as soon as the game began. After all, the 'it's his handwriting' wasn't the only hint you left us...
Thom Blake chapter 1 . 5/11/2010
I must protest that this story does not have enough reviews. I refuse to read a story that has fewer reviews than words in the story, and currently the ratio is only about 1/3.
dogfoot75 chapter 20 . 5/11/2010
I swear, I read this last night, and the end was much different. Am I losing my mind?
23,750 | « Prev Page 1 .. 1,328 1,335 1,336 1,337 1338 1,339 1,340 1,341 1,348 .. Last Next »